Biggsohnasty
Sophomore
And1: 33

Re: 2017 Draft Thread 

Post#1941 » by Biggsohnasty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Murphs56 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Do the right thing Orlando

Do the 'dumb' thing Orlando. Leave him for us please.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#1942 » by TheProdigy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Biggsohnasty wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another point guard? Is that you, David Kahn?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#1943 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Just now hearing about this Collins dude but looking at him.
7 footer
athletic
agile
rebounder
blocks
can shoot

Um... sign me up. Might be the Eddie Griffin that actually works out! He's shot my want list. Right after Issac.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#1944 » by Neeva » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Calinks wrote:Just now hearing about this Collins dude but looking at him.
7 footer
athletic
agile
rebounder
blocks
can shoot

Um... sign me up. Might be the Eddie Griffin that actually works out! He's shot my want list. Right after Issac.

But he's white and american and they always are busts!
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#1945 » by Neeva » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
Biggsohnasty wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would be foolish to pass on a future star just because we have dunn and tyus on the bench lol
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#1946 » by TheProdigy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Neeva wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
Biggsohnasty wrote:

Would be foolish to pass on a future star just because we have dunn and tyus on the bench lol

It would be foolish to draft a pg when we already have 3 pg's on the roster that deserve minutes. If we make some trades before the draft to clear up minutes at pg, then yes I agree draft Smith. Otherwise we'd only create a logjam and negotiate future trades from a position of weakness.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,924

Post#1947 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Neeva wrote:
7 footer
athletic
agile
rebounder
blocks
can shoot

Yup, like I said on the draft board, I think his biggest weakness is the ability to get beyond the stigma of being a stereotypical white American big
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Biggsohnasty
Sophomore

Post#1948 » by Biggsohnasty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 am

DaKidKG wrote:
Neeva wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:Another point guard? Is that you, David Kahn?

It would be foolish to draft a pg when we already have 3 pg's on the roster that deserve minutes. If we make some trades before the draft to clear up minutes at pg, then yes I agree draft Smith. Otherwise we'd only create a logjam and negotiate future trades from a position of weakness.

Which 3 PGs deserve minutes?

Dunn can have a role on the team but he showed me nothing in his rookie year that makes me think he's the point guard I'm hitching my wagon to expecting deep postseason runs. Think his role is ultimately defensive rotation combo guard. That kind of player can coexist with Smith.

Jones is a nice 3rd PG who can fill in in a pinch but the more he plays, the more his weaknesses get exposed. Not letting his presence on the team prevent me from taking a swing at a potential star.

Smith could be a star.

You don't stop drafting PGs because you've tried and haven't found a good one yet.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#1949 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 am

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:
7 footer
athletic
agile
rebounder
blocks
can shoot

Yup, like I said on the draft board, I think his biggest weakness is the ability to get beyond the stigma of being a stereotypical white American big

Same thing Cody Zeller is going through. Dude is low key a beast, but he's white & goofy looking.

Then again, you have Meyers Leonard who's probably the worst center in the L
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Biggsohnasty
Sophomore

Post#1950 » by Biggsohnasty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:16 am

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:
7 footer
athletic
agile
rebounder
blocks
can shoot

Is he really all that athletic/agile? Not compared to other 7 foot people but NBA centers?

I see Patrick O'Bryant in him.

Also ^ Cody Zeller isn't a "low key beast" - he's a nice backup big. Averaged 10 points and 6.5 rebounds in 27 minutes. He was the No. 4 pick in the draft. I guess I'd want more than that if I'm drafting a guy this high.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#1951 » by Sugarless » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 am

Biggsohnasty wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:But he's white and american and they always are busts!

Is he really all that athletic/agile? Not compared to other 7 foot people but NBA centers?

I see Patrick O'Bryant in him.

Also ^ Cody Zeller isn't a "low key beast" - he's a nice backup big. Averaged 10 points and 6.5 rebounds in 27 minutes. He was the No. 4 pick in the draft. I guess I'd want more than that if I'm drafting a guy this high.

He's not that athletic, no. He's mobile and has a quick-ish jump off two feet, but I think people are overestimating his overall athleticism without really accounting for the competition he's played against, plus the fact that it was exacerbated by often sharing the court with Karnowski.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#1952 » by TheProdigy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

Biggsohnasty wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
Neeva wrote:Would be foolish to pass on a future star just because we have dunn and tyus on the bench lol

Dunn can have a role on the team but he showed me nothing in his rookie year that makes me think he's the point guard I'm hitching my wagon to expecting deep postseason runs. Think his role is ultimately defensive rotation combo guard. That kind of player can coexist with Smith.

Jones is a nice 3rd PG who can fill in in a pinch but the more he plays, the more his weaknesses get exposed. Not letting his presence on the team prevent me from taking a swing at a potential star.

Smith could be a star.

You don't stop drafting PGs because you've tried and haven't found a good one yet.

What about Rubio? How does he coexist with Smith? Rubio is a lock to get at least 30 minutes at pg. Then Wiggins and LaVine will take up almost all of the minutes at sg. That leaves Dunn and Jones with zero minutes.

Are you ready to throw in the towel on Dunn, a 2nd year player because he looked bad in his rookie year? You need to give these young guys a chance to develop.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#1953 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:38 am

Apparently Markkenan grew up a Wolves fan.

Sounds like he just wants to be taken high lol.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#1954 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:12 am

Read on Twitter
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#1955 » by wildvikeswolves » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 am

I wonder when/if there will ever be a Rubio rumor that seems at least a little believable
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#1956 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So if this deal went through, Mavs get both of the best assets. Niiiiiice.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#1957 » by karch34 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 am

wildvikeswolves wrote:I wonder when/if there will ever be a Rubio rumor that seems at least a little believable

Or any involving us that seem like we're not idiots. I'd love to see "Wolves-Magic involved in 6 & Gordon for 7 & Payne talks".
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#1958 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 am

theGreatRC wrote:So if this deal went through, Mavs get both of the best assets. Niiiiiice.

If this deal went through, Thibs would have a lot of explaining to do.

As far as I'm concerned, Rubio is a greater asset than Matthews. Likewise the no. 7 pick to no. 9.
LeJohn Harden
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1959 » by LeJohn Harden » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 am

lol at drafting another pg
we need a defensive big that can stretch the floor out to the 3 point line
and more wing depth
Biggsohnasty
Sophomore

Post#1960 » by Biggsohnasty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:58 am

DaKidKG wrote:
Biggsohnasty wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:It would be foolish to draft a pg when we already have 3 pg's on the roster that deserve minutes. If we make some trades before the draft to clear up minutes at pg, then yes I agree draft Smith. Otherwise we'd only create a logjam and negotiate future trades from a position of weakness.

Smith could be a star.

What about Rubio? How does he coexist with Smith? Rubio is a lock to get at least 30 minutes at pg. Then Wiggins and LaVine will take up almost all of the minutes at sg. That leaves Dunn and Jones with zero minutes.

Are you ready to throw in the towel on Dunn, a 2nd year player because he looked bad in his rookie year? You need to give these young guys a chance to develop.

Not giving up on Dunn - said he can have a role as a combo guard who's value stems from his defensive ability. I think he can coexist with Smith.

Rubio is here now and I think he's a fine bridge guard for when Smith is ready to take the reigns. You are looking at drafting a PG through the scope of the 2017-18 season. Look further.

In three years when Wiggins is 25 and Towns is 24 and the Warriors are coming down from what appears to be a long-lasting dominant stretch, Smith would be all of 22 years old. That's a potential Big 3 without even accounting for Lavine or whoever else the team might add.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves