Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Re: Free Agents: 2017 and beyond 

Post#1921 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 am

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:BTW Khem Birch to ORL. I can see the market for cheap, mobile shotblockers. Not for traditional bigmen.

You mean like Jordan Mickey?

Both Birch and Udoh can defend in the post at some degree. Not sure about Mickey

Mickey is a shot blocker and rebounder of epic proportions. I'm not sure what has stopped him from establishing himself in the NBA so far. Could he stop Shaq in his prime in the post probably not.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1922 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 am

Give me kg and Allen for the vet. min.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1923 » by minimus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:44 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You mean like Jordan Mickey?

Both Birch and Udoh can defend in the post at some degree. Not sure about Mickey

Mickey is a shot blocker and rebounder of epic proportions. I'm not sure what has stopped him from establishing himself in the NBA so far.

The weird thing about him is that rebounding and rim protection are BOS biggest weaknesses. Why did they waive him? They did not even offer him two way contract.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1924 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:59 am

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:Both Birch and Udoh can defend in the post at some degree. Not sure about Mickey

Mickey is a shot blocker and rebounder of epic proportions. I'm not sure what has stopped him from establishing himself in the NBA so far.

The weird thing about him is that rebounding and rim protection are BOS biggest weaknesses. Why did they waive him? They did not even offer him two way contract.

His dominance of the D league was total. He shot well inside and from 3 as well as the spectacular shot blocking of around 4 a game.
Here are his average D league stats for his two season.
18.6 PPG
.525 FG%
.404 3%
.748 FT%
9.7 rebounds
3.8 blocks
.8 steals

I can hardly imagine dominating better than that.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1925 » by minimus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 am

Maybe it is bad talent management by BOS. I'd give him two way contract.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1926 » by minimus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247043/GM-Were-Coming-Out-Of-A-Cap-Bubble

After reading this article I have feeling that we overpaid Dieng a bit. Gibson looks overpaid too. I am asking myself if Gorgiu gets this type of money this year, when JaMychal Green is still unsigned and we could have either Khem Birch, Udoh, Willie Reed as backup C. What do you think?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#1927 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 pm

minimus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247043/GM-Were-Coming-Out-Of-A-Cap-Bubble

After reading this article I have feeling that we overpaid Dieng a bit. Gibson looks overpaid too. I am asking myself if Gorgiu gets this type of money this year, when JaMychal Green is still unsigned and we could have either Khem Birch, Udoh, Willie Reed as backup C. What do you think?

Green is restricted, so who knows what type of offer we would need to make for Memphis to not to match. The only issue I have with Gorgui's contract is that if we waited, we would have had more cap room because his cap hold would have been smaller that his salary. It would have been enough to sign another significant player.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1928 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:37 pm

According to wolfson, weve reached out to allen and clark with min. deals and are juet waiting for an answer.

The bad news is that its a minimum contract.
The good news is that they havent rejected it, so at the very least, they are mulling it over.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#1929 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Those guys suck though

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#1930 » by Oriole8159 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:56 pm

minimus wrote:Maybe it is bad talent management by BOS. I'd give him two way contract.

They released him because his contract was unguaranteed, and they wanted the $1.47 million in cap space to help facilitate the Hayward signing.
They also had the rights still to F/Cs Zizic, Yabusele, Ojeleye and Nader that they wanted to sign this offseason, which they did.

They're currently at a roster size of 14, and still have Jabari Bird and Kadeem Allen as unsigned 2nd rd picks.

Maybe they could want to bring him back on a lesser deal still or a 2-way contract, but you also can't fault the kid if he just doesn't want to go back since he's so far down the depth chart there. Might as well hold out for a potentially better situation.

Having seen the kid every day for 2 years and not even wanting to keep the guy for $1.47 million probably says all that you need to know about the kid. I wouldn't mind bringing him in and kicking the tires, but I'm sure Bos isn't losing any sleep over this.
Oriole8159
Sophomore

Post#1931 » by Oriole8159 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 pm

ALICEinJAM wrote:Those guys suck though

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app

[youtube]
[/youtube]
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,814

Post#1932 » by AirP. » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm

I believe there's some solid wings still available. I do wonder if Minnesota has some conditional commitments dependent on trades they do or don't do. For the vet minimum you just need to pick the right ones to complement your key players.

I think all these guys are still available, not bad and some solid rotational players for the vet minimum.
A.Brooks, T.Lawson, I.Canaan, D.Williams, T.Allen, M.Beasley, KJ McDanials, B.Rush, M.Ellis, G.Henderson, G.Green, I.Clark, M.Dunleavy, S.Muhammand, K.Humphries, D.Lee, B.Bass, D.Williams, T.Robinson, L.Allen, J.Hamilton, B.Diaw, J.Hill, R.Hibbert(could Thibs get anything out of him)

Add A.Goodwin in there, he was just waived by the Nets.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#1933 » by shrink » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Lead scorer last night in the 3-on-3 league was Rashad McCants ... just sayin' ...

:lol:
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1934 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Oriole8159 wrote:
minimus wrote:Maybe it is bad talent management by BOS. I'd give him two way contract.

They released him because his contract was unguaranteed, and they wanted the $1.47 million in cap space to help facilitate the Hayward signing.
They also had the rights still to F/Cs Zizic, Yabusele, Ojeleye and Nader that they wanted to sign this offseason, which they did.

They're currently at a roster size of 14, and still have Jabari Bird and Kadeem Allen as unsigned 2nd rd picks.

Maybe they could want to bring him back on a lesser deal still or a 2-way contract, but you also can't fault the kid if he just doesn't want to go back since he's so far down the depth chart there. Might as well hold out for a potentially better situation.

Having seen the kid every day for 2 years and not even wanting to keep the guy for $1.47 million probably says all that you need to know about the kid. I wouldn't mind bringing him in and kicking the tires, but I'm sure Bos isn't losing any sleep over this.

Mickey has always been phenomenally productive whenever on the court be it college or D league. It does perplex me a bit that there must be something about him that he has never got any time in the NBA. Or it could just be that the coach in Boston just doesn't like him and Boston is making a mistake.
Oriole8159
Sophomore

Post#1935 » by Oriole8159 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Oriole8159 wrote:

Mickey has always been phenomenally productive whenever on the court be it college or D league. It does perplex me a bit that there must be something about him that he has never got any time in the NBA. Or it could just be that the coach in Boston just doesn't like him and Boston is making a mistake.

I think if it was just as simple as Bos making a mistake, then he would have been snatched up immediately by another team.
Probably more going on there then we the public are privy to.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1936 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Oriole8159 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Oriole8159 wrote:

I think if it was just as simple as Bos making a mistake, then he would have been snatched up immediately by another team.
Probably more going on there then we the public are privy to.

Must be. To me him not being on a team is simply baffling.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,873

Re: Free Agents: 2017: What's Left 

Post#1937 » by Jammer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:04 pm

This is a revision to my post from page 93 of this thread to just list who is still unsigned that's decent. Looking at the roster crunch around the league quite a few of these guys will end up playing for minimum, so they are all in play as far as the Wolves are concerned.

Decent, UnSigned Ball Handlers
Aaron Brooks (seems more like a 5' 10.5" SG in a PGs body)
Norris Cole
Ty Lawson (Has Not signed in China, though he has an offer, which he may be using as a bargaining chip). Has had alcohol abuse problems in his past (quite a few DWI's/DUI's)
Deron Wiilliams (probably wants a guarantee to be the backup)

Decent, Unsigned SGs
Tony Allen (since he played 27 mpg for a 42 win team he probably expects more than minimum. Will be 36 in January)
Alan Anderson
Ian Clark (looking for more than minimum. Hey, you're a 6' 2" spot up shooter. No one guarded you in Golden State anyway)
Randy Foye
Gerald Henderson (obviously looking for more than minimum, at least MLE I guess)
Dahntay Jones (he's 36 years old)
Anthony Morrow
James Young (may have a camp invite to New Orleans)

Decent, Unsigned SFs
Matt Barnes (Geez, is he still around at 37 ?)
Gerald Green (Wolves have supposedly reached out)
Shabazz Muhammad (hey, at least make him an offer, he's still unsigned)
Brandon Rush

Thibs said he will keep one roster spot open, for possible buyouts around the end of February or a G-League superstar).

If we try to fill the three open roles of wing defender, 3 point shooter and ball handler, I think the order of priority from the above is:

Best Wing Defenders Available
Tony Allen (Will be 36 in January)
Gerald Green
Dahntay Jones (is 36)
Matt Barnes (will be 38 in March)
Shabazz Muhammad (only against SFs, not as quick for the SGs)

Best Ball Handlers Available
Deron Williams (probably looking for a guarantee to be the backup)
Ty Lawson

Best Shooters Available
Ian Clark (doesn't offer much else, and he wasn't even guarded in Golden State)
Gerald Henderson (obviously wants more than minimum). With Crawford already in place, and playing the same position, he doesn't look likely.

My preference of all the above is for:
Wing Defender: Tony Allen (1) or Gerald Green (2) or Matt Barnes (3)
Ball Handler: Whoever the team and coaching staff thinks will "fit in" to their culture. Jamal Crawford can be a backup PG in a pinch anyway.
Shooter: Ian Clark or Gerald Henderson would space the floor the best

I'm starting to wonder if Shabazz Muhammad would return on a one year minimum deal, if he doesn't like his offers elsewhere.

If Shabazz were to return, who is a decent defender and scorer, but doesn't set screens, get assists or pass, well, then maybe

Shabazz Muhammad
Tony Allen
Ball Handler the team thinks will fit in, even if from G-League or Las Vegas leftover

One player to keep track of might be Celtics #56 pick SG Jabari Bird, who shot great in 10 mpg in Las Vegas. If the Celtics have a roster crunch where they don't tender Bird an offer by August 21, and if Bird doesn't want to go overseas, I think at some point he becomes a free agent. Might be worth a future 2nd Round Pick before they make him unrestricted. It wouldn't surprise me if the Celtics try to get him to sign a 2 way contract.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1938 » by minimus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 am

Jabari Bird is about to sign a contract with BOS.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#1939 » by Swish4 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 am

minimus wrote:Jabari Bird is about to sign a contract with BOS.

They're working out a 2 way contract reportedly.
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect
And1: 197

Post#1940 » by Bucketgetter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am

Ideally for me we finish this offseason with a couple of veteran minimum guys and roll out a lineup like this

Teague / Tyus / Aaron Brooks
Wiggins / Crawford / Anthony Brown (2 way contract)
Butler / Tony Allen / Dante Cunningham
Taj / Belly / Patton
Towns / Dieng / Aldrich

Keep that 15th roster spot and 2nd 2 way contract spot open just in case we want to sign any G-League stars or buyout candidates. Solid depth with veteran players so Thibs doesn’t have to run our starters into the ground.

I really wish we went after Jamychal Green earlier in free agency tho. He would have been such a good fit next to Towns and we could have at least seen if the Grizz would balk at a high offer sheet. Then we could have fallen back on Gibson or Patterson as 2nd options. Nobody was clamoring for them.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves