Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#541 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Sugarless wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
Sugarless wrote:He's just too good defensively and running a team to freak over his FG%, and after nearly 3 decades watching basketball I've seen more than enough to know you can be an excellent PG and lead your team to the top even if you're not a good shooter.

Please name one point guard that was as bad of a shooter as Rubio (prior to this season) and led his team to the top.

Man, I've done it plenty of times over the years. At some point I'm gonna start to think people doesn't pay any attention to what I say. :noway:

Avery Johnson: 1 ring, 1 NBA Finals. Career .517 TS%, scored 11.9 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.16 PPS
Derek Fisher: 5 rings, 8 NBA Finals. career .514 TS%, scored 11.8 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.15 PPS
Jason Kidd: 1 ring, 3 NBA Finals. Career .507 TS%, scored 12.6 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.13 PPS
Jason Williams: 1 ring, 1 NBA Finals. Career .505 TS%, scored 12.8 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.07 PPS
Rajon Rondo: 1 ring, 2 NBA Finals. career .500 TS%, has scored 11.9 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.11 PPS

There, that's 9 out of the last 18 NBA Champions. Not even finalists, not conference finalists (which is the most the Timberwolves have achieved in nearly 30 years of history). Champions.

PS: Ricky Rubio: career .504 TS%, has scored 11.7 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.21 PPS.

Hey, I'd stick to this guy. Based on previous results it seems like he has a pretty good chance to get someone a ring.

I'm sorry you wasted all that time looking, but you didn't follow the directions. This isn't that difficult. I asked you to name a pg that was as bad of a shooter - meaning actual shooting in game action, not free throws. I don't know why you keep falling back on the TS% statistic when you know it can be skewed by free throw frequency.

With the exception of Rondo, all of those guys were better shooters (in game action) than Rubio.

Sugarless wrote:Hey, I'd stick to this guy. Based on previous results it seems like he has a pretty good chance to get someone a ring.

Nice "strawman" here. I never said we should get rid of him. I only asked you to name an all-time awful shooting pg that led his team to a ring because you made it sound like it happens frequently.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#542 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Sugar, didn't you just get on my for getting into senseless debates? :lol:
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#543 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Sugarless wrote:You're chasing your tail now.

10 to 16 feet hasn't been outside shooting since 1960. You want to take his long-range 2s and make your whole argument about it? That's cool, you've been handpicking from the start trying to be right, why stop now? His 3pt shooting is still only his 4th best mark in 4 seasons, though, and right around his career average, a couple bad games and it goes back below it.

Anyway, you can of course call improvement what you want. As I've said, I don't care much whether he maintains it or not. And I don't care at all when it becomes not about efficiency (which is funny, cause it's the most important aspect :lol:) but about his shots from 15 ft.

Hope you like the list at least!

You're arguing with me about the definition of outside shooting, but I'm the one "handpicking the argument". :lol:

If you can't see that he is an improved shooter this season, then that's on you.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#544 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:Please name one point guard that was as bad of a shooter as Rubio (prior to this season) and led his team to the top.

Man, I've done it plenty of times over the years. At some point I'm gonna start to think people doesn't pay any attention to what I say. :noway:

Avery Johnson: 1 ring, 1 NBA Finals. Career .517 TS%, scored 11.9 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.16 PPS
Derek Fisher: 5 rings, 8 NBA Finals. career .514 TS%, scored 11.8 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.15 PPS
Jason Kidd: 1 ring, 3 NBA Finals. Career .507 TS%, scored 12.6 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.13 PPS
Jason Williams: 1 ring, 1 NBA Finals. Career .505 TS%, scored 12.8 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.07 PPS
Rajon Rondo: 1 ring, 2 NBA Finals. career .500 TS%, has scored 11.9 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.11 PPS

There, that's 9 out of the last 18 NBA Champions. Not even finalists, not conference finalists (which is the most the Timberwolves have achieved in nearly 30 years of history). Champions.

PS: Ricky Rubio: career .504 TS%, has scored 11.7 points per 36 minutes at an average 1.21 PPS.

Hey, I'd stick to this guy. Based on previous results it seems like he has a pretty good chance to get someone a ring.

I'm sorry you wasted all that time looking, but you didn't follow the directions. This isn't that difficult. I asked you to name a pg that was as bad of a shooter - meaning actual shooting in game action, not free throws. I don't know why you keep falling back on the TS% statistic when you know it can be skewed by free throw frequency.

With the exception of Rondo, all of those guys were better shooters (in game action) than Rubio.

Sugarless wrote:Hey, I'd stick to this guy. Based on previous results it seems like he has a pretty good chance to get someone a ring.

Nice "strawman" here. I never said we should get rid of him. I only asked you to name an all-time awful shooting pg that led his team to a ring because you made it sound like it happens frequently.

Buddy, you need to please stop trying, it's become cringeworthy now, and you trying to sound smart about it isn't helping.

Jason Williams was a very good FT shooter and shot .398 from the field during his career. Derek Fisher was very good from the line too, and made .399 from the field during his time in the league. Kidd was much better than them though, he managed to reach exactly .400.

See, it's bad enough that you would dismiss such an integral part of basketball, and one that's as utterly important in slower, closer games in the playoffs as the ability to draw fouls and make your FTs (seriously :lol: ). But it's even worse that you can't get your facts straight and keep reaching trying to prove a point.

Can't really find a reason to extend this any longer, so...
Sugarless
Starter

Post#545 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:05 pm

Klomp wrote:Sugar, didn't you just get on my for getting into senseless debates? :lol:

Absolutely. :lol:
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#546 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Sugarless vs Mattya would be a snooze fest 12 round heavy weight bout going on for 5-10 pages.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#547 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Sugarless wrote:Buddy, you need to please stop trying, it's become cringeworthy now, and you trying to sound smart about it isn't helping.

Uhoh it's getting personal now. Someone is getting their panties in a wad! :lol:

Sugarless wrote:Jason Williams was a very good FT shooter and shot .398 from the field during his career. Derek Fisher was very good from the line too, and made .399 from the field during his time in the league. Kidd was much better than them though, he managed to reach exactly .400.

Up until this season, Rubio has been ~.370 fg% in his career. All of the players on your list have higher fg% in their careers.

Sugarless wrote:See, it's bad enough that you would dismiss such an integral part of basketball, and one that's as utterly important in slower, closer games in the playoffs as the ability to draw fouls and make your FTs (seriously :lol: ). But it's even worse that you can't get your facts straight and keep reaching trying to prove a point.

I don't dismiss free throw shooting at all. The ability to get to the free throw line is what separates most of the elite players from the rest. The reason why I was telling you not to reference TS% is because I was talking about shooting from the field, not free throw shooting. I was simply trying to point out that a jump shot would allow Rubio to take his game to a new level, and it has. Do you think its a coincidence that he's averaging more assists this season than any other year?

So again, I'm not saying that free throws aren't important, it just has nothing to do with my original comment about Rubio's shooting improvement. Free throw shooting has nothing to do with defenders respecting his shot, so why reference TS%?
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#548 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Klomp wrote:Sugar, didn't you just get on my for getting into senseless debates? :lol:

Seriously! He posted this comment earlier today and then started arguing with me about the meaning of "outside shooting":

sugarless wrote:Sometimes you use sarcasm, which is a great tool when used properly and far from a problem in itself. Sometimes you are hell-bent on taking a phrase literally and make something out of nothing, and end up creating a senseless debate that has nothing to do with what the OP implied. But I'm sure you have realized that by now, I'm not the only that's pointed it out.

:rofl2:
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#549 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Sugarless vs Mattya would be a snooze fest 12 round heavy weight bout going on for 5-10 pages.

Pot calling the kettle black.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#550 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Going to go take a nap, and rest up for incoming NewWolvesOrder rage.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#551 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 pm

DaKidKG wrote:

Seriously! He posted this comment earlier today and then started arguing with me about the meaning of "outside shooting":

sugarless wrote:Sometimes you use sarcasm, which is a great tool when used properly and far from a problem in itself. Sometimes you are hell-bent on taking a phrase literally and make something out of nothing, and end up creating a senseless debate that has nothing to do with what the OP implied. But I'm sure you have realized that by now, I'm not the only that's pointed it out.

:rofl2:

It takes two to debate senselessly.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#552 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:Sugarless vs Mattya would be a snooze fest 12 round heavy weight bout going on for 5-10 pages.

I thought you could take a joke...

lighten up and change you face Alexy.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#553 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm

DaKidKG wrote:Seriously! He posted this comment earlier today and then started arguing with me about the meaning of "outside shooting":

You keep repeating that, even though I've been kind enough to let it go before. Don't you understand that everybody here can read our posts and look at the timeline?

DaKidKG wrote:Since when does outside shooting only mean 3 pointers? This year from 10-16 feet he is shooting .492% and his career average is .324. This year from 16 ft to the 3 point line he is shooting .439 while his career average is .374.

I talked about efficiency. You didn't like it cause it didn't fit your narrative and reduced it to outside shooting. I brought his 3pt % numbers. They didn't help your case either, so you (not me, buddy) started rambling about whether outside shooting is this or outside shooting is that (including his shots from 10 to 16 ft, which was rather funny).

As I said, you're not helping yourself.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#554 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

The "jokes" you randomly try to make about me every couple months is just getting kind of weird now. I shouldn't be that important in your life.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#555 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I thought it was all in good fun too. Plus Mattya and I haven't had a proper exchange in over a year, we've only debated about a couple of things and kept it short every time. I'd say we're developing just like Ricky's efficiency, but there are no guarantees it's gonna translate into next season either. :P
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#556 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

The "jokes" you randomly try to make about me every couple months is just getting kind of weird now. I shouldn't be that important in your life.

lighten up, none of it is important, even you.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#557 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:40 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

"jokes"
Sugarless
Starter

Post#558 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

"jokes"

Such a pity we are from all over the globe, this would be much more fun if we could discuss about it over some drinks. I'd bring you two along with Klomp, Les, Finn, Merc and some others. Not guys like C. Lupus, or Calinks, mind you. They're just too level headed and would probably take all the fun out of it. They may even think of moderating.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#559 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:48 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

"jokes"

Such a pity we are from all over the globe, this would be much more fun if we could discuss about it over some drinks. I'd bring you two along with Klomp, Les, Finn, Merc and some others. Not guys like C. Lupus, or Calinks, mind you. They're just to level headed and would probably take all the fun out of it. They may even think of moderating.

I'd love to discuss basketball, that just isn't what debates with NewWolvesOrder devolve into in my experience.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#560 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 pm

DaKidKG wrote:Seriously! He posted this comment earlier today and then started arguing with me about the meaning of "outside shooting":

Here's the part you conveniently left out.

Sugarless wrote:And you know what? If you only want to talk about outside shooting, then you're wrong even by your own account, cause he's not shown improvement in his 3-pt shot over a full season yet. He's at 32.4% from 3 this year even after his late surge, which is barely above his career average, and only his 4th best mark in 6 seasons shooting from distance.

And:
Sugarless wrote:10 to 16 feet hasn't been outside shooting since 1960. You want to take his long-range 2s and make your whole argument about it? That's cool, you've been handpicking from the start trying to be right, why stop now? His 3pt shooting is still only his 4th best mark in 4 seasons, though, and right around his career average, a couple bad games and it goes back below it.

You're fake news bruh.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves