Ricky Rubio #9

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#601 » by Krapinsky » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Mattya wrote:
Yet, I think it's also notable that he does not include Dunn in any core talk.

maybe you are just reading way too much into this then?

People are still complaining about Thibs "not endorsing" Rubio? Did any of you actually listen to the interview? :lol:

To me he looked about as happy as he has ever been when he was talking about Rubio.

In this interview alone

-he says he appreciates his game even more now that he has actually coached him.

-complimented Rubio's shooting

-complimented his impact on the offensive efficiency of the team.

-believes his outside shot is going to come.

Reading way too much into something on an internet chat forum? No, that would be ridiculous. :lol:

Point is, it still seems like Thibs is going to shop him again this offseason. But maybe he's willing to shop Dunn too.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#602 » by Mattya » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Yet, I think it's also notable that he does not include Dunn in any core talk.

maybe you are just reading way too much into this then?

People are still complaining about Thibs "not endorsing" Rubio? Did any of you actually listen to the interview? :lol:

To me he looked about as happy as he has ever been when he was talking about Rubio.

In this interview alone

-he says he appreciates his game even more now that he has actually coached him.

-complimented Rubio's shooting

-complimented his impact on the offensive efficiency of the team.

-believes his outside shot is going to come.

Reading way too much into something on an internet chat forum? No, that would be ridiculous. :lol:

Point is, it still seems like Thibs is going to shop him again this offseason. But maybe he's willing to shop Dunn too.

He might listen to offers, but I'm doubting that he is going to just throw him to the curb like some posters here make it seem.

Thibs, a coach who doesn't like resting players, sat a healthy player out of the last game of the season. When he was trying to enforce improvement and winning. A coach who stressed team over individual stats. So that Rubio could maintain his FG% and make an extra 100k.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#603 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm

I think the challenge trading Rubio is the same it's always been. Can you trade Rubio and end up with a better team? The hard part is getting fair value.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#604 » by theGreatRC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 pm

I listened to the interview..Thibs saying he has a new appreciation for Rubio since coaching him instead of coaching against him and sees how hard he works every day and that he shot 45% from 2 and thinks his 3 will come along next season..He also mentioned how he liked how Rubio ran the team, how it helped us have a top 10 offense. I'll go out on a limb and say Rubio is our starting PG next year..I feel like Thib's likes Ricky enough to trust his improvement on shooting & how he can help the other starters get easier buckets

Thibs always seems like a tight lipped guy, we saw it from last years Free agency, to the trade deadline and now. He never really gives us anything to make us believe one thing or another about how he feels about players.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#605 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:27 am

Krapinsky wrote:Reading way too much into something on an internet chat forum? No, that would be ridiculous. :lol:

Why is he going to shop him? Because he said he's the starting point guard as of today? Boy, that comment sounds like he can't wait to get rid of him!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Rubio grade for the seaosn 

Post#606 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:37 am

So, what do you think about ^season ?
Are you surprised?
Dissapointed?

What do you expect from him long term?

Do you expect him to be back next season?
Mattya
RealGM

Re: Rubio grade for the seaosn 

Post#607 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:55 am

Career year. Significant progression in shot selection and shot making over a good portion of games. The rest of his game has always been there. I would be surprised if Thibs traded him, and if he did, it is probably in a package for a star. But it really wouldn't match the type of coach that Thibs is to trade a win now player, when his goal is to win now.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#608 » by urinesane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:33 am

A+ his hard work is finally paying off, and as I have said in the past, his shot wasn't going to be fixed in a season, but I was confident he would get there.

Anyone who is intelligent enough, physically able, and willing to put in the work to improve... will usually improve.

I have a feeling that Rubio will end his career as an above average shooter. He is motivated to make his one weakness a strength and I don't see any reason he can't do that (internet haters don't seem to be affecting him).
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#609 » by Sugarless » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:06 am

Relax, people. Nobody's said he's throwing Ricky to the curb. Nobody's said anything ludicrous here. All that's been pointed out is that Thibodeau continues to be rather noncommital about Rubio long term (the "as of today" part) and that he still doesn't think of Ricky as part of the core according to his own answers, and what that might mean coming into the summer. Those are fair assessments and you can agree with them or not, but there's no need to exaggerate your reactions and paint it like anyone's saying anything outrageous about Thibs.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#610 » by Sugarless » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:12 am

I've seen an older Ricky, still enthusiastic when there was a good reason to be excited, but overall much more solemn, which is pretty understandable with his mother and grandmother passing away, and even more when you consider his situation in the team plus the fact that they have had yet another losing season.

When it comes to his game, I've seen the same old Ricky for the most part, with the same improvements we saw last season and that by last June were already forgotten. When he's had the ball, he's been great as always running the team and delivering it to teammates for easy buckets, and without it he's given his all defensively, fought for loose balls and crashed the boards nicely, as usual. Some people will tell you there's been a definite change in his mentality when it comes to shooting the ball, and that has been true to some extent (probably due to the circumstances stated before). But I think his aggressiveness the last couple of months is more a product of losing Zach LaVine and helping replace that in the starting lineup (neither Gorgui nor Rush were going to do it), and I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to his usual number of attempts when (if) we see them all on the floor again.

Other than that, you look at his shot distribution and it's basically an exact copy of last year's. You also look at how he started to be a bit more efficient scoring towards January, then got much better in February and March, then finished April on a low note, and once again it's exactly the same we saw last season. The key is not whether he shoots 9 or 12 times per game, forget about that. The key is that he's as effective as possible when looking to score, and he's just built on what we saw last year, when he had a career high in scoring efficiency and his first close to average season ever in that aspect. Hopefully next season he'll continue to improve in that aspect and find ways to be a more efficient scorer every year.

So, a different attitude, more serious, more somber even, and continued improvement in his efficiency, but all in all not so many changes in his game, and certainly not the impact in wins that some have been expecting and predicating over the years when he's shot more (always overrating scoring volume from the PG position, always forgetting about defense and the nature of the playmaking role). And that's perfectly fine for me.

As for his situation going into the future, I don't think he's here for the long term. Whether Thibs likes him more than last year or not, he still doesn't seem to be his PG of the future, so I think there's a good chance that he gets moved between this and next summer. You can't say it's going to happen for sure, because you don't know what kind of offers he's going to receive, and at the very least Thibs now knows Dunn is not ready to run a team, but if he gets a decent offer for another veteran and a different type of PG (not necessarily better than Ricky, just someone who can split minutes with Dunn), I'd expect Ricky to be traded.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#611 » by minimus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 am

Solid A. A few things that I am really happy to see from Rubio:

1) he cut down number of careless passes. He might not be same flashy Ricky, but he really looked as passing machine during many games this season. Given number of inefficient scorers Rubio played with, he has really got this level of consistency that only few other PGs can reach. It is when talent meets experience. Next season I expect him to have even more impressive season in terms of passing. Rush, Bjelica, Dunn, Dieng, Shabazz can still either improve or be replaced with better shooters.

2) Better stamina, better consistency in defense and offense. Less stupid fouls, less gambles. When Rubio controled our pace we were really good.

3) He was more assertive in offense, last season he started to use his mid-range game, this season he was good at mixing drives and mid/long range shots.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#612 » by Basti » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 am

All I want from Ricky next season is to stay 100% healthy. Or healthy enough to play all games. Every time he's been injured it took him a while at the minimum to get back into rhythm. So assuming/hoping he will stay healthy, I think he won't have to crawl back from being out of rhythm. I also think that whenever Ricky came back from an injury, it put him under extra pressure which in turn made him doubt his shot even more.

Also, it would be great if Ricky turned down an invitation to play for Spain for once. I know that this might be really unpopular for him as a Spaniard but just one summer please. The Spanish NT is still very good without him :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#613 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:08 am

Basti wrote:Also, it would be great if Ricky turned down an invitation to play for Spain for once. I know that this might be really unpopular for him as a Spaniard but just one summer please. The Spanish NT is still very good without him :D

Is there national team competitions this summer?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#614 » by Basti » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:19 am

Klomp wrote:
Basti wrote:Also, it would be great if Ricky turned down an invitation to play for Spain for once. I know that this might be really unpopular for him as a Spaniard but just one summer please. The Spanish NT is still very good without him :D

Yes. There's European Championship in late August until mid September. Just checked to see where it will be held. The games will be held in several different countries spread over Europe. Games will be played in Turkey, Romania, Israel and Finland. That's like the weirdest combo of countries ever. But generally speaking, there's always a World or Continental Championship going on in alternating years, with the Olympics sprinkled in every four years.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#615 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

minimus wrote:Solid A. A few things that I am really happy to see from Rubio:

1) he cut down number of careless passes. He might not be same flashy Ricky, but he really looked as passing machine during many games this season. Given number of inefficient scorers Rubio played with, he has really got this level of consistency that only few other PGs can reach. It is when talent meets experience. Next season I expect him to have even more impressive season in terms of passing. Rush, Bjelica, Dunn, Dieng, Shabazz can still either improve or be replaced with better shooters.

2) Better stamina, better consistency in defense and offense. Less stupid fouls, less gambles. When Rubio controled our pace we were really good.

3) He was more assertive in offense, last season he started to use his mid-range game, this season he was good at mixing drives and mid/long range shots.
Even with his improved shooting, I don't think you want Rubio averaging more than 10-12 shots a game. While his improved shooting in most areas, even fts, really helps the team, improving his three pt shooting would help the team the most.
His form looks good, it's just a matter of putting it in the hole. A Rubio who can make 50% of his two pt. shots and 35-38% of his threes would be great. He shot close to 90% from the foul line, so there's no criticizing him there.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#616 » by minimus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:

Even with his improved shooting, I don't think you want Rubio averaging more than 10-12 shots a game. While his improved shooting in most areas, even fts, really helps the team, improving his three pt shooting would help the team the most.
His form looks good, it's just a matter of putting it in the hole. A Rubio who can make 50% of his two pt. shots and 35-38% of his threes would be great. He shot close to 90% from the foul line, so there's no criticizing him there.

"A Rubio who can make 50% of his two pt. shots and 35-38% of his threes" would be something from a sci-fi movie. Better than Damian Lillard and Steph Curry, better than prime Rondo.

Last year Rubio was too predictable. When he missed an easy layup, then he passed open layup, missed open 3pt shot - took ineffective long 2s. This season he was willing to mix layups, shots, passes, creative dribbling etc. And it took his game to the new level.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#617 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 am

minimus wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:

"A Rubio who can make 50% of his two pt. shots and 35-38% of his threes" would be something from a sci-fi movie. Better than Damian Lillard and Steph Curry, better than prime Rondo.

Last year Rubio was too predictable. When he missed an easy layup, then he passed open layup, missed open 3pt shot - took ineffective long 2s. This season he was willing to mix layups, shots, passes, creative dribbling etc. And it took his game to the new level.
I think the Wolves are ready to make a jump next year similar to what the Jazz did this year. I think 45-50 wins are definitely in reach if injuries don't inhibit your key players and you get a decent player in the draft. You were only outscored by about one point per game because of your lousy defense. I expect improvement in that area will account for much of the improvement.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#618 » by A1FromDay1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Basti wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Yes. There's European Championship in late August until mid September. Just checked to see where it will be held. The games will be held in several different countries spread over Europe. Games will be played in Turkey, Romania, Israel and Finland. That's like the weirdest combo of countries ever. But generally speaking, there's always a World or Continental Championship going on in alternating years, with the Olympics sprinkled in every four years.

As Spain will be playing in my country and I get the chance to see Ricky live, I don't want this to be the tournament he chooses to skip :)
Homo homini lupus est.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#619 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Klomp wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Reading way too much into something on an internet chat forum? No, that would be ridiculous. :lol:

Why is he going to shop him? Because he said he's the starting point guard as of today? Boy, that comment sounds like he can't wait to get rid of him!

Q. Is Ricky Rubio your starting point guard next year?

A. As of today, yeah.

Try not to be so obtuse. No one is a bigger Rubio rube than me. But it's a fact that Thibs has been damning Rubio with faint praise since he got here. It's also a fact that Rubio has been bandied about in trade rumors since the day we drafted Dunn. Now given the chance to change the optics on Rubio when pressed at the nd of the season press conference, he merely says "as of today, yeah." I mean...
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#620 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Q. Is Ricky Rubio your starting point guard next year?

A. As of today, yeah.

Try not to be so obtuse. No one is a bigger Rubio rube than me. But it's a fact that Thibs has been damning Rubio with faint praise since he got here. It's also a fact that Rubio has been bandied about in trade rumors since the day we drafted Dunn. Now given the chance to change the optics on Rubio when pressed at the nd of the season press conference, he merely says "as of today, yeah." I mean...

This just seems like coach speak for saying he isn't untradeable. The rest of the time he was talking about how well Rubio played this season. Despite all these rumors, Rubio is still on the team. He made it to training camp, made it past the "20 games for Dunn to start" rumors, made it past the trade deadline, played the most minutes since his rookie season, and barely saw any drop in his usage over the entire season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves