Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#621 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Mattya wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Klomp wrote:Why is he going to shop him? Because he said he's the starting point guard as of today? Boy, that comment sounds like he can't wait to get rid of him!

Q. Is Ricky Rubio your starting point guard next year?

A. As of today, yeah.

Try not to be so obtuse. No one is a bigger Rubio rube than me. But it's a fact that Thibs has been damning Rubio with faint praise since he got here. It's also a fact that Rubio has been bandied about in trade rumors since the day we drafted Dunn. Now given the chance to change the optics on Rubio when pressed at the nd of the season press conference, he merely says "as of today, yeah." I mean...

This just seems like coach speak for saying he isn't untradeable. The rest of the time he was talking about how well Rubio played this season. Despite all these rumors, Rubio is still on the team. He made it to training camp, made it past the "20 games for Dunn to start" rumors, made it past the trade deadline, played the most minutes since his rookie season, and barely saw any drop in his usage over the entire season.

Denial ain't just a river in egypt.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#622 » by Mattya » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

A. As of today, yeah.

Try not to be so obtuse. No one is a bigger Rubio rube than me. But it's a fact that Thibs has been damning Rubio with faint praise since he got here. It's also a fact that Rubio has been bandied about in trade rumors since the day we drafted Dunn. Now given the chance to change the optics on Rubio when pressed at the nd of the season press conference, he merely says "as of today, yeah." I mean...

This just seems like coach speak for saying he isn't untradeable. The rest of the time he was talking about how well Rubio played this season. Despite all these rumors, Rubio is still on the team. He made it to training camp, made it past the "20 games for Dunn to start" rumors, made it past the trade deadline, played the most minutes since his rookie season, and barely saw any drop in his usage over the entire season.

Denial ain't just a river in egypt.

So right, the Thibs haters are in denial.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#623 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

I think we've always known that Rubio isn't Thibs ideal PG. I don't think that has changed, but if anything I think Rubio has grown on Thibs a little bit. Rubio could still easily be traded but I don't know if I would call it likely.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#624 » by Basti » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 pm

MadWolfSkillz wrote:
Basti wrote:
Klomp wrote:Is there national team competitions this summer?

Yes. There's European Championship in late August until mid September. Just checked to see where it will be held. The games will be held in several different countries spread over Europe. Games will be played in Turkey, Romania, Israel and Finland. That's like the weirdest combo of countries ever. But generally speaking, there's always a World or Continental Championship going on in alternating years, with the Olympics sprinkled in every four years.

As Spain will be playing in my country and I get the chance to see Ricky live, I don't want this to be the tournament he chooses to skip :)

You have to take one for the team and suck it up :D
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#625 » by horaceworthy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeah, there's been a clear evolution in the Thibs opinion on Ricky. At the start of the year when given a chance to compliment Ricky, he'd somehow find a way to change the subject to how much he like Kris Dunn, even if Rubio had a solid game and Dunn hadn't done anything particularly noteworthy. Now one of the reasons "As of today, yeah" stands out is because it followed 3 paragraphs of Thibs saying nicer things about Ricky than he did about any of the other players he was asked about.

"As of today, yeah" might mean anything from "he'll be shopped" to "unless he's the price that has to be paid for a Jimmy Buckets reunion."

I hope Ricky's the starting point guard next year, but I think Thibs is going to be more aggressive this offseason. Not sure if anybody outside of KAT, Wiggins, and Zach are locks to return.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#626 » by urinesane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Reading way too much into something on an internet chat forum? No, that would be ridiculous. :lol:

Point is, it still seems like Thibs is going to shop him again this offseason. But maybe he's willing to shop Dunn too.

Why is he going to shop him? Because he said he's the starting point guard as of today? Boy, that comment sounds like he can't wait to get rid of him!

A. As of today, yeah.

He gave zero praise to Rubio when he got here, so this new found "faint praise" is actually an improvement.

I think Ricky has grown on Thibs though, I just don't think he's the type to gush over a player after a losing season.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#627 » by King Malta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:31 am

I generally take 99% of what coaches in any sport say publicly with a grain of salt, actions speak louder than words at the end of the day.

I don't think we'll trade Ricky, but that could simply be down to the fact that we can't get equal value back for him as much as Thibs potentially wanting him to be his PG going forward.
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#628 » by firyGM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:01 am

Ricky: "Minnesota had wanted trade me some times this season". "Because I am not the owner of my rights, I have to accept whatever they decide about my future team".

Original (Spanish):

"Minnesota, con quién tengo dos años más de contrato, ha expresado su intención de traspasarme en varias ocasiones esta temporada".
"Al no ser dueño de mis derechos, tendré que aceptar lo que decidan sobre mi futuro equipo".

Source: http://www.marca.com/baloncesto/nba/2017/04/23/58fbd4ad22601d601f8b45ca.html
MARCA - from EFE.

Seems that Thibs tell to Ricky that he want to trade him. :banghead:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#629 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:49 am

firyGM wrote:Seems that Thibs tell to Ricky that he want to trade him. :banghead:

Or maybe they could decide that his future team is the same as his current team. But go ahead and criticize Thibs for a trade that hasn't happened....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#630 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am

Klomp wrote:
firyGM wrote:Seems that Thibs tell to Ricky that he want to trade him. :banghead:

Or maybe they could decide that his future team is the same as his current team. But go ahead and criticize Thibs for a trade that hasn't happened....

If the future is the same as the present, he wouldn't have phrased it that way. its one of two things, either the way he phrased it in spanish is different and theres a cross culture translation issue. Or he knows his future here is probably short lived.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#631 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:22 am

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If the future is the same as the present, he wouldn't have phrased it that way. its one of two things, either the way he phrased it in spanish is different and theres a cross culture translation issue. Or he knows his future here is probably short lived.

He may think his future is bleak, but until he's traded, he's still a member of this team. We haven't traded him yet.

I doubt Thibs sat down and told him "we don't want you here and we can't wait until we can get a trade worked out" like firy seemed to be implying.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#632 » by theGreatRC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:51 am

This is straight from google translator, so it may sound confusing at parts lol

The Minnesota Timberwolves' Spanish base Ricky Rubio recalled today that he is not the owner of his rights as an NBA player who belongs to his team and said he does not yet know what franchise he will play next season. "Minnesota, With whom I have two years of contract, has expressed his intention to transfer me several times this season, "Rubio told Efe in the paddock of the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, where he is enjoying the Moto GP Grand Prix. During this season, the American press has placed El Masnou's base in franchises such as the Sacramento Kings, the Chicago Bulls, the New York Knicks and the Cleveland Cavaliers, among others.

"By not owning my rights, I will have to accept What they decide on my future team, "the player said. The Catalan player acknowledged that this year's season has been" very irregular "at the collective level, with a low level league start and A final month of competition in which the team was not fine.However, he indicated that on a personal level he finished the season "very well" physically and "with great confidence." In addition, Rubio noted that he has "a lot of desire" to play the "We still do not know what team it will be, if Marc and Pau (Gasol) will play," said Eurobasket 2017, who will play in Romania, Finland, Israel and Turkey this summer, although he admitted it is too early to talk about goals at this tournament. He added. However, he asserted that "whoever goes", the Spanish basketball team "always" has to fight for medals in international championships. The Spanish base, which is this weekend enjoying the Gran Prix of the Americas in Austin , Where he was able to personally meet the Spanish drivers Marc Márquez and Maverick Viñales, will return to Spain in the next few days.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#633 » by andyhop » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 am

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Just sounds like he understands how the NBA works rather than any sort of prediction of the future to me
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#634 » by C.lupus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 am

He's just saying 'I don't control my future. The Timberwolves will decide where I'm playing next year.' That may be in Minnesota or it may not.
firyGM
Junior

Post#635 » by firyGM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:10 am

In Spanish when we say future team means the next team.

It's possible that the reporter had a mistake, but if that's the exactly words probably it means what I am saying.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#636 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 am

firyGM wrote:In Spanish when we say future team means the next team.

It's possible that the reporter had a mistake, but if that's the exactly words probably it means what I am saying.

So they can't decide to keep him? If all Thibs gets offered is a Top-55 protected pick, he'll have to say....

"Well....we have to do it. Ricky said it's up to us to decide his future team, so I guess we have trade him even though it's a crap offer...."

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#637 » by Foye » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:16 am

Hopefully, Rubio doesn't play for Spain this offseason. He needs to continue working on his game, confidence and get enough rest.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: RE: Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#638 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 am

C.lupus wrote:He's just saying 'I don't control my future. The Timberwolves will decide where I'm playing next year.' That may be in Minnesota or it may not.

He's not only saying that. He's also saying that Minnesota tried to trade him SEVERAL times this season.

"Minnesota, con quién tengo dos años más de contrato, ha expresado su intención de traspasarme en varias ocasiones esta temporada".
firyGM
Junior

Post#639 » by firyGM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
firyGM wrote:In Spanish when we say future team means the next team.

So they can't decide to keep him? If all Thibs gets offered is a Top-55 protected pick, he'll have to say....

"Well....we have to do it. Ricky said it's up to us to decide his future team, so I guess we have trade him even though it's a crap offer...."

It's correct.

I think that Ricky want to say: Thibs is trying trade me, I am not sure if I stay in Minny next season. If Thibs gets a normal offer for me (Rose X Ricky was so stupid) he is going to trade me.

Well, if Thibs doesn't receive that normal offer he stays in Minny, but Thibs doesn't like Ricky as his PG despite his high level.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#640 » by Mattya » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm

I see the usual overreaction. The Wolves considered trading Ricky? That is not news.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves