FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#81 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 am

guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
What does Kevin Love have to do with anything?

Because you said no Rubio team has come close to sniffing the playoffs, the same applies for Kevin Love. And yet, you sound like everything that went wrong this past 6 years is only beacause of Rubio.

I thought we were comparing Ricky to other point guards. Last I checked Love isn't a point guard. Also I've always said it isn't all Rubio's fault, but also Ricky has been the only constant since he's been here. Again, I don't why if you criticize him, you think that that means your blaming him 100%. On the other side though, there are fans who think Ricky has zero blame in the Wolves losing

The fact that the league is stacked with high level point guards doesn't mean that they can be acquired easily. It's not Rubio's fault he's somewhere around average starting PG, his position is just much deeper than any other in the league. Other teams still know not to undervalue their PGs even if they are not in the top 5 or top 10 at their position, because on average they still impact the game more than the other position do in the NBA right now.

It makes no sense comparing Rubio to the other point guards in the league if you're considering trading him. It makes sense comparing him to his teammates and whether he has more or less impact than them, because you can involve only players from your team in a trade, you can't just involve all the starting point guards in the league.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#82 » by walk with me » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 am

mercgold3 wrote:
I mean without him at all. With Dunn and Tyus getting the minutes.

I think when everyone talks about getting rid of him they mean via a trade. For an alternate starter. I think majority of people agree that neither dunn or jones is ready to start.

guest81 wrote:
walk with me wrote:
urinesane wrote:A fan's opinion on Rubio is a good litmus test for their basketball knowledge.
He has Ricky in the top 5.

lol the way some people talk of ricky here that wouldn't shock me. I actually want to know how most rate him though, people talk as if he's an untradable player.

guest81 wrote:

If that's a pretty damn good record, your standards are way too low. In a league where half the teams make it into the playoffs every year, no Rubio team has come close to sniffing the playoffs

this is my whole view on the situation right here ^^^^

people can talk about kevin love all they want but kevin love was a freaking beast in minnesota. He made two all star teams, was nailing clutch shots all over the place and got player of the week numerous times. I'm not a 100% sure but i'd guess he atleast made an all NBA team 1 of his minnesota seasons. So you can't say Kevin love wasn't handling business.

Ricky has had the same stat line for 6 years and nothing to show for it (all star, post season award, player of the week, playoffs, all defense, most improved, etc etc). At what point do you give up on the experiment lol?
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#83 » by Steve_Holiday » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:43 am

In '13-'14 the team won 40 games with Rubio healthy. They got a faint whiff of the playoffs...once.

On this board - and others - I don't see a ton of people valuing Ricky as "untradable" because he is so great. Most people talk about a "big three" and they certainly don't mean the Spaniard. The argument as I have seen it is between people who think he is a middle-of-the-pack point guard and those who think he is unplayable trash.

In my view, Ricky is the perfect "bridge guard" as he is better than our other two options at the position, will play organized ball, and won't take shots from our young players. I don't see why the "experiment" has to end now. Most posters know he is what he is. Haven't seen any optimism about Ricky figuring out his shot or improving his fg% under the hoop since before the season started.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by walk with me » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 am

Steve_Holiday wrote:In my view, Ricky is the perfect "bridge guard" as he is better than our other two options at the position, will play organized ball, and won't take shots from our young players. I don't see why the "experiment" has to end now. Most posters know he is what he is. Haven't seen any optimism about Ricky figuring out his shot or improving his fg% under the hoop since before the season started.

Let's get one thing straight lol... THIBS DOES NOT WANT A BRIDGE pg.... no coach would. Thibs wants the playoffs THIS YEAR

a "bridge" player essentially concedes to the fact that your back up and starter are essentially garbage. If your back up isn't good enough to play immediately, why would you just have someone "serviceable" fill the space until the back up is ready? Wouldn't you want two guys who are ready to contribute? That's not even coaching to win, that's like a step above tanking - waiting on some scrub to figure it out while you have someone above scrub level sucking up time...

Coaches coach to win, not to be a place holder for developing undeveloped talent. And the experiment has to end because it's been 6 years with no results... can you name any other 6 year "experiment" in nba history that didn't win several end of season awards or was not ever on any nba 1st 2nd or 3rd team?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#85 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:25 am

walk with me wrote:
Steve_Holiday wrote:In my view, Ricky is the perfect "bridge guard" as he is better than our other two options at the position, will play organized ball, and won't take shots from our young players. I don't see why the "experiment" has to end now. Most posters know he is what he is. Haven't seen any optimism about Ricky figuring out his shot or improving his fg% under the hoop since before the season started.

Let's get one thing straight lol... THIBS DOES NOT WANT A BRIDGE pg.... no coach would. Thibs wants the playoffs THIS YEAR

a "bridge" player essentially concedes to the fact that your back up and starter are essentially garbage. If your back up isn't good enough to play immediately, why would you just have someone "serviceable" fill the space until the back up is ready? Wouldn't you want two guys who are ready to contribute? That's not even coaching to win, that's like a step above tanking - waiting on some scrub to figure it out while you have someone above scrub level sucking up time...

Coaches coach to win, not to be a place holder for developing undeveloped talent. And the experiment has to end because it's been 6 years with no results... can you name any other 6 year "experiment" in nba history that didn't win several end of season awards or was not ever on any nba 1st 2nd or 3rd team?

You say Thibs wants playoffs this year, what could we honestly get for Rubio that would be an upgrade to make us unquestionably a playoff team this year? The Reggie Jackson rumor is complete bull and not happening, Chi & NYK fans seem to think it's their scraps or bad contracts for Ricky, things that wouldn't make sense to us unless we're making trades for the sake of trades.

The only thing that would get us into the playoffs this year is internal improvement, which is what is going on with the team right now. I've been a fan for too damn long and I want the playoffs more than anyone, but the best thing to do is wait until the off season for offers on Rubes, maybe attach our draft pick to make it look better.

If you think about it, the only player getting minutes that wasn't on the team last year is Dunn, you think Thibs is going to start playing whoever we get for Ricky when Thibs can't even get Rush/Cole/Hill minutes? You think we would get a difference maker in a trade with Rubio's value the lowest it's ever been? Let him play out this year and pray that he increases his value, then start to look for the best offers.

It's pretty much set in stone that Rubio is going to be off the team, it's just a matter of time, but trading him right now would be completely dumb. Just ride out the year with Rubio, let Dunn start next year (Or this year if he can consistently play well) and look for the best offers for Ricky in the summer.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#86 » by Sugarless » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 am

Grading a guy that's always been 11th or best in combined RPM and a top playmaker as slightly better than mediocre.

Taking 6 games sample sizes.

Ignoring stats that take subs, teammates and rivals into consideration.

Talking about team record for an individual player.

There's so much dumbness in this thread that it hurts.
ensiferum
Senior
And1: 231

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#87 » by ensiferum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am

walk with me wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

And 4-0 without Zach. What is your take on that ?

why do you always deflect to zach levine? What's your deal. It's like you try to push the blame from ricky to zach. not to say People who blame ricky are 100% right but why do you do this? What's your fix on zach?

You can't be real.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#88 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Rubio trade doesnt make alot of sense right now.

Thibs is looking for a bridge pg. Why cant rubio be that bridge? Then he can come off the bench once dunn cements himself as a starter.

Rubio off the bench next year or the year after is invaluable. And if dunn cant be a starter, then we still have ricky.

Id understand a trade if it shores up a weakness like a defensive sf or a defensive pf, but it doesnt look like thibs is looking for one yet.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946

Post#89 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Have we decided that this rumor came from Rubio's agent?

If that's the case, maybe Thibs has told Rubio he's the "bridge" and the agent is trying to get interest in his player around the league by saying he's being shopped for a bridge because he wants his player to stay a longterm starter in the league?

We've heard similar rumors around Rubio for years and nothing's changed. He's still here. It's very possible that this is simply more of the same.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946

Post#90 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:36 pm

walk with me wrote:And the experiment has to end because it's been 6 years with no results... can you name any other 6 year "experiment" in nba history that didn't win several end of season awards or was not ever on any nba 1st 2nd or 3rd team?

Kyle Lowry
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#91 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Klomp wrote:Have we decided that this rumor came from Rubio's agent?

If that's the case, maybe Thibs has told Rubio he's the "bridge" and the agent is trying to get interest in his player around the league by saying he's being shopped for a bridge because he wants his player to stay a longterm starter in the league?

We've heard similar rumors around Rubio for years and nothing's changed. He's still here. It's very possible that this is simply more of the same.

I think it was confirmed by Stan that the trade was discussed so it seems that Thibs is at least discussing Rubio with other GM's. Ricky has said in the past that unless the team starts winning he'll have to think about it in terms of being committed to Minnesota. I don't know what to believe but I certainly hope Ricky is here long term.
ctl131
Junior
And1: 197

Post#92 » by ctl131 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Sugarless wrote:Grading a guy that's always been 11th or best in combined RPM and a top playmaker as slightly better than mediocre.

I don't think I said anything dumb at all. My assessment was very reasonable; I didn't insult or downplay Rubio's ability. He is a slightly better than average/mediocre PG in the NBA. That isn't an insult by any means, that just shows how deep the PG position is in terms of elite talent.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#93 » by Quentin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm

To the people who say "we're a better team with Ricky on the floor" I give you this crude example.

Say you have ten point guards in a league. Ricky is ranked 8th among those guards. His 2 backups are ranked 9th and 10th. Would it not be obvious that the team is better with Ricky on the court? Would it not also be obvious that he's considered the best of the worst on this team compared to the league? The PG ranked #7 would make our team better, but he doesn't play for us.

?
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
Sugarless
Starter

Post#94 » by Sugarless » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:29 pm

ctl131 wrote:
Sugarless wrote:Grading a guy that's always been 11th or best in combined RPM and a top playmaker as slightly better than mediocre.

I don't think I said anything dumb at all. My assessment was very reasonable; I didn't insult or downplay Rubio's ability. He is a slightly better than average/mediocre PG in the NBA. That isn't an insult by any means, that just shows how deep the PG position is in terms of elite talent.

Slightly better than mediocre for a top playmaker and top-3 defender at his position? Sure, let's agree to disagree.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#95 » by m2002brian » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Remember when the cavs sucked so hard they got two number one picks AFTER kyrie.

OH but KYrie is elite. WHAT, Becuase he can score? That's the mentality of most fans. Score many point scoring equals great player.

Put Lebron on the wolves and nobody would Ben saying Dick about RUBio or Lavine, or Wiggins.
BLUEGREENRED
ctl131
Junior
And1: 197

Post#96 » by ctl131 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Sugarless wrote:
ctl131 wrote:

Slightly better than mediocre for a top playmaker and top-3 defender at his position? Sure, let's agree to disagree.

He's not even the best defensive PG on his own team.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#97 » by m2002brian » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Point = winning cures all. Thus the blame is all on Thibs. We've shown we can win with a certain style with certain players. Sure small sample size, so make the sample size larger.
BLUEGREENRED
Sugarless
Starter

Post#98 » by Sugarless » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm

ctl131" wrote:
I don't think I said anything dumb at all.

[...]

He's not even the best defensive PG on his own team.

:lol:
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by walk with me » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:18 pm

theGreatRC wrote:
You say Thibs wants playoffs this year, what could we honestly get for Rubio that would be an upgrade to make us unquestionably a playoff team this year? The Reggie Jackson rumor is complete bull and not happening, Chi & NYK fans seem to think it's their scraps or bad contracts for Ricky, things that wouldn't make sense to us unless we're making trades for the sake of trades.

that's the ultimate question right there. If we can actually get something quality back for ricky you pull the trigger. Jetisoning him for garbage wouldn't exactly make sense. So i'm kind of with you on that. If the FO can pull off a quality trade you pull the trigger asap. If nothing comes, toy with line ups until you find something that can generate the W's the team needs to secure that top 8 spot.

ensiferum wrote:
You can't be real.

what's up with all the personal attacks? Why don't you rebuttal with something besides isolated analytics that don't really prove anything in the bigger scheme of the NBA and the team. Bring some substance to the table.

- Ricky has had the same stats for 6 years
- Ricky has basically never won any NBA award (DPOY, MIP, All NBA 1-3, All Defensivve Team, 6th man, all star, player of the week)
- Ricky has never been into the playoffs

List of NBA Starters not on a rookie deal who have never been in the NBA playoffs.
- Ricky Rubio
- Luke Babbit

I'm sure if I expanded this search to include bench players ^^^^^ the list would look way worse.

List of PGs who have EASILY proven to have lapped rubio in terms of development or accomplishments since ricky was drafted (ignoring player attitude or downfalls like Ty Lawson).
- steph curry
- kemba walker
- Jrue Holiday
- Ty Lawson
- Jeff Teague
- Patrick Beverly
- John Wall
- Eric Bledsoe
- Avery Bradley
- Kyrie Irving
- Reggie Jackson
- Isiah Thomas
- Damian Lillard
- CJ Mccullum
- Dennis Schroder

You can riddle me with all the advanced stats that you want and hate on my because this is my first year rooting for the team specifically for my own reasons but none of that can change the fact that ricky has not improved in 6 years and in those same 6 years he hasn't done anything for this team. You can say kevin love didn't do anything for the team but you can't ignore Klove making 3 all star games out of his 6 MIN seasons, 10-11 most improved player, 2 player of the weeks, 1 player of the month, 1 all rookie team, 2 all nba teams, and leading the NBA in rebounding.

Meanwhile ricky on the other hand got ricky got rookie of the month once, was all rookie team and lead the league in steals in the 13-14 season. All you ricky supporters have to show for him is the narrative of how great a defender, passer and how he "makes his teammates better" yet there's nothing to truly show for that. The narrative no longer works, it's been 6 years and he hasn't made anyone better lol. No players have gotten a better contract due to him like steve nash, lebron and CP3 have done. People have defended this guy for 6 years and he hasn't even really improved since his rookie year in a tangible fashion, meanwhile the rest of the NBAs point guards are getting better and making leaps and bounds individually or for the team.

ignore me and call names all you want but he's just not the player youre pretending that he is.

Klomp wrote:
walk with me wrote:And the experiment has to end because it's been 6 years with no results... can you name any other 6 year "experiment" in nba history that didn't win several end of season awards or was not ever on any nba 1st 2nd or 3rd team?

Kyle Lowry

Kyle Lowry? I guess technically, but at the same time he had two teams give up on him in those 6 years, Ricky has had a wayyyyy longer rope and wayyyy less to show for it. Kyle Lowry is probably on his way to his 3rd all star game and leading his team to their 4th playoff appearance (2nd as a top 3 seed) ? Do you anticipate that kind of turn around for ricky?
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#100 » by Nick K » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Sugarless wrote:
ctl131 wrote:

My question to you Sugarless is, if Rubio is so good, why won't teams give us anything for him? We should get at least a solid starter for him. Right?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves