ImageImageImage

KG trashes Glen Taylor

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

KG trashes Glen Taylor 

Post#1 » by TheProdigy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 am

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/kevin-garnett-tnt-area-21-glen-taylor-timberwolves-ownership

Not good. All of the young guys really looked up to KG while he was here. Not a good look when your best player in franchise history gets betrayed by the owner. Have we underestimated how much it affected our team this season? Maybe he poisoned the well on the way out...
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: KG trashes Glen Taylor 

Post#2 » by Mattya » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 am

As I suspected form the couple of articles that came out, it sounds like the problem is between Taylor and KG, not with Thibs. Taylor messed up on multiple sides.

-should have had some role in ownership or management.

-Flip have a banner in honor of his tenure. Think they should have done a remembrance on a non game day for fans to attend for free.

-Should have kept KG around to train and instill his attitude into the franchise even if he isn't on the court.

I do think that eventually KG will buy the Wolves with a group of current investors or some more business people he knows, but I don't think he has any interest in doing business with Taylor. I would guess the relationship is so bad at this point that KG will wait to get his jersey retirement/statue until Taylor can't profit from the ticket sales and publicity.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#3 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 am

I have to wonder how much of this KG is taking as a slight as opposed to an intentional slight or dismissal for Taylor. I got a feeling KG is taking seeing at as harsher than it is but at the same time, Taylor has had a history of pissing people off so when I hear about soemthing like this I take it with some credibility. Either way, its unfortunate.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,939

Post#4 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 am

Calinks wrote:I have to wonder how much of this KG is taking as a slight as opposed to an intentional slight or dismissal for Taylor. I got a feeling KG is taking seeing at as harsher than it is but at the same time, Taylor has had a history of pissing people off so when I hear about soemthing like this I take it with some credibility. Either way, its unfortunate.

I think KG is making a bigger deal of it than it is.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#5 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 am

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:I have to wonder how much of this KG is taking as a slight as opposed to an intentional slight or dismissal for Taylor. I got a feeling KG is taking seeing at as harsher than it is but at the same time, Taylor has had a history of pissing people off so when I hear about soemthing like this I take it with some credibility. Either way, its unfortunate.

I think KG is making a bigger deal of it than it is.

Could be but I don't know. Cant really judge, just again, its unfortunate.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#6 » by Mattya » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:26 am

To emphasize how stupid of a situation that this is, Meyer Orbach just purchased another 5% of the team a couple weeks ago from another minority owner, I would guess Taylor knew that stake in the team had potential to change ownership during the summer. I don't know why Taylor wouldn't offer some ownership to Garnett for a fair price, but to sell ownership shares to outside investors and then not be willing to deal with KG? Maybe there is more then KG is letting on, but I could absolutely see Taylor being the problem.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#7 » by andyhop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:31 am

When this guy got the team, it was worth $90 million. When I left it, it was worth somewhere in the $400 (millions). That was never taken into account in my value or none of that

Seems like this is the real cause of his bitterness, which comes off a bit weirdly given Taylor gave him a contract so out of whack with the norm that it helped lead to a lock out
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 am

Either way I think Taylor could really work on his people skills. With whatever happened, I am pretty sure the relationship could have been maintained in a way where KG isn't feeling this sour. A real conversation probably could have alleviated a lot of whatever it is going on between them.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,939

Post#9 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 am

andyhop wrote:
When this guy got the team, it was worth $90 million. When I left it, it was worth somewhere in the $400 (millions). That was never taken into account in my value or none of that

Seems like this is the real cause of his bitterness, which comes off a bit weirdly given Taylor gave him a contract so out of whack with the norm that it helped lead to a lock out

"When this guy got the team," the television contract was for 4 years and $275 million.
When he left the team in 2007, it was for 6 years and $2.2 billion.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#10 » by C.lupus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 am

When he left the team in 2007 it was worth $400 million, today it's worth $770 million. Is he going to take credit for that, too?
subwayJ
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#11 » by subwayJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 am

I don't understand why KG is bitter. Is the suggestion the Taylor didn't offer him a % ownership after Flip died?

The value of the team was largely driven by things going on outside of mini, and not due to KG. It seems odd for him to say his value to the team wasn't appreciated considering the contract he was given. Taylor damn well deserves the profits he has made on the team, he took a chance when buying it. Does the attitude from KG to Taylor change is the value of the team decreased during his time here? The team value has no part in this conversation.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#12 » by Murphs56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 am

Situation bothers me. The first time KG left was terrible and the bad blood last years. He comes back, fence mended and now we're right back where we started.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#13 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 am

KG was probably given a verbal promise from flip which taylor decided not to follow through on. Thus, he takes it as a slap in the face for himself as well as for flip.

Hard to believe that Flip would make some sort of promise without taylor agreeing or knowing about it in the first place.

The young guys on the team love KG, in particular KAT, no idea how this could effect their long term outlook regarding this organization.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#14 » by theGreatRC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:57 am

I know that Flip had a plan and it what happened to him was unfortunate, but this was never a written contract and tbh I think that KG isn't letting us know the other side of what's going on. Maybe KG isn't totally the victim here and wanted more than Glen was willing to give.

Also, i'm not pro-Glen and anti-KG lol, I couldn't care less about if KG has ownership of the Wolves, just seems like we're not getting the whole story
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#15 » by PharmD » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

andyhop wrote:

It sounds like KG wanted to buy into ownership but wanted the value he added to the franchise to count as part of his buy-in instead of paying the going price other people were paying.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#16 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:01 pm

PharmD wrote:
andyhop wrote:

It sounds like KG wanted to buy into ownership but wanted the value he added to the franchise to count as part of his buy-in instead of paying the going price other people were paying.

If that's true, kg needs a new business advisor.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 pm

andyhop wrote:

It just seems like a weird beef considering how relatively generous Taylor has always been to KG. I have no idea if Taylor is an overall good person, and there probably could be an argument that the system allows people who aren't providing the value to make so much money, but that doesn't seem like it should a beef with Taylor.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#18 » by minimus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm not sure If there was any case in NBA when owner sold part of NBA team to ex-player after he retired.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#19 » by C.lupus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
PharmD wrote:It sounds like KG wanted to buy into ownership but wanted the value he added to the franchise to count as part of his buy-in instead of paying the going price other people were paying.

If that's true, kg needs a new business advisor.

Yep. I have no idea if that is true (probably not) but if it is, all that shows is that KG has no clue how businesses work and Taylor was right to not let him in on the ownership of the team.

Overall my take is that there is always two sides to every argument. I don't think either KG or Papa Glen are 100% to blame or 100% innocent, but this is not a good look for KG right now.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#20 » by Nitroglycerin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Even though there are more story behind this, its simple. Glen trusted Flip and Flip probably promised that he'll keep KG in check. Flip died and Glen obviously was not comfortable with KG without Flip
Trust the PRosas!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves