ImageImageImage

Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should the Wolves take at 7?

Isaac
55%
Markkanen
15%
Smith
11%
Monk
6%
Collins
4%
Ntilikina
5%
Anunoby
4%

Total votes: 137

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,556

Re: Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says... 

Post#21 » by Worm Guts » Thu May 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Isaac doesn't amaze me either. Tweener alert! D-Will looked better than him before the draft.
I don't think he'll be big of a factor on offense in the nba very soon his skillset there makes him more of a 4 while his defensive potential might be better fitting as a 3. This a bad combination. A Shawn Marion doesn't come along very often. His advanced stats are promising though. Sometimes you have players that are better than their advanced stats but you rarely have players that are much worse than their advanced stats (DRPM might be the exception).

Isaac isn't what I would call a tweener, a tweener is someone too short for their position. Isaac has legitimate height and length for a PF. And yes Derrick Williams may have looked better in college and so did Michael Beasley, but those were legitimate tweeners.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#22 » by packforfreedom » Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Isaac doesn't amaze me either. Tweener alert! D-Will looked better than him before the draft.
I don't think he'll be big of a factor on offense in the nba very soon his skillset there makes him more of a 4 while his defensive potential might be better fitting as a 3. This a bad combination. A Shawn Marion doesn't come along very often. His advanced stats are promising though. Sometimes you have players that are better than their advanced stats but you rarely have players that are much worse than their advanced stats (DRPM might be the exception).

Isaac isn't what I would call a tweener, a tweener is someone too short for their position. Isaac has legitimate height and length for a PF. And yes Derrick Williams may have looked better in college and so did Michael Beasley, but those were legitimate tweeners.

fair take. For me a tweener is someone between two positions (it can be because of height or because of playing style) and when it comes to PF/SF it should be a warning sign since these positions have more critical differences in terms of skill sets than tweeners at other positions. It'd also say that Rashard Lewis, Keith van Horn and Lamar Odom were tweeners and they are also 2,10m.

edit: I admit: my Derrick Williams Isaac comparison was a bit off. :clown:
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#23 » by RationalGaze » Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Keeping Rubio means drafting Isaac and that means he will be able to develop the fastest with us with Wiggins at the 3 and Bjelica at the 4. Isaac would be the automatic backup and get plenty of minutes to develop and learn from both. Thibodeau will increase his defense and Isaac will look a whole lot better come March. Isaac could grow another inch as he was 6'10" and is 6'11" now. Nice handles for a 4 and could be the starter his 2nd season with split minutes from Bjelica.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#24 » by vagelis » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm

If Tatum is available I would select him because he is the best fit but I think he will not be available.
From the players in the list I will go with Malik Monk.
He is the best athlete of this draft, he is the second best scorer(19.8ppg) and he is the best shooter(40% 3pt shooter).
He is a little bit short but if Isaiah Thomas can play in nba and does what he does I will ignore that Monk is 6'3.
I can also see that his handles need some improvement but I think this can change with the time.
I think that his athleticism can be compared with Zach Lavine's with the difference that he has better lateral quickness and direction change. This means better defense.
In the draft combine measurements Monk was measured with 36'5 standing vertical and 42' max vertical while Lavine was measured with 33'5 standing vertical and 41'5 max vertical. This means he is an elite athlete taking also into account his explossive first step and the speed in open court. In my opinion he has a lot of potential as a sg.
I don't think that we can draft the perfect player with the seventh pick. But Monk has a lot of tools. He is a great scorer and he has the lateral quickness to play good defense and not lose his opponent.
In the worst case he will be a great bench scorer.

Another player that I would consider from the draft but not with a so high pick is John Collins. I would like to trade for him because he seems to be a good defender, rim protector and good scorer (19ppg, 10rpg, 1.6 blk pg)

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 719

Post#25 » by karch34 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 am

1) Isaac. Just love everything he brings to the game. He might have a rep of being passive, but I've also heard reports all he cares about is winning and sounds like he could bring some intensity. Most accounts are versatile enough to guard multiple positions, brings rebounding, shot blocking, and D. A few think he could be a new age C like Draymond.

2) Monk. I feel he could be a Devin Booker type SG in the league. Don't know enough about his all around game, but at worst would be a quality 6th man for us.

3) Markennan. He's not just a spot up shooter and has a high BBIQ. What worries me is defensive ability..not willingness. The other question I have in terms of fit is does he bring anything to the PF position than what we've seen from Bjellica when Bjelly is playing well? There's a lot of great college shooters that didn't translate to the NBA (Fredette, Morrison, etc) so another question is what else does he bring to the table?
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,933

Post#26 » by islanders11040 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am

SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#27 » by SaintS » Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 am

draft BPA
for it's
If Tatum is available for me he is a pick
then Smith and Monk
and third option is Isaac

Rubio trade will be a really big step back.
And i still hope that Tibbs doesn't want too many rookies on the team.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by karch34 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 pm

I like Smith, but the comparisons to Steve Francis do have me question the fit. I see him being a great isolation scorer off the bench for sure, but I don't see the outside shooting and playmaking. not saying he couldn't develop, but at 7 I would look in another direction.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#29 » by Klomp » Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 pm

There are so many possibilities that it's difficult to pin down what exactly will happen. We all have our ideas of how we want this team to look down the road, but I think a lot of us could be disappointed because we're not seeing eye to eye with what the front office wants.

-Isaac seems to be the overwhelming favorite, but taking him also assumes either that we want to limit LaVine and Wiggins' time together, or that we want to have small-ball flexibility. I don't think either of those is guaranteed.
-Markkanen is the next-most-popular pick, but I think it's a real possibility that Thibs wants defense and rebounding next to Towns, neither of which the Swede provides at this point.
-Defense and rebounding would seem to be Zach Collins' game, but did he put enough on tape to be worth this high of a selection?
-Some people think we need a PG who can provide more offense like Dennis Smith, but I think that's far from a guarantee.
-A lot of people don't like Monk because they assume the scorer off the bench role is LaVine's, but again that's not guaranteed.
-Ntilikina provides the defense Thibs likes in the backcourt, but does he facilitate good enough or is he good enough off the ball?
-Anunoby has the defensive measurables and talent Thibs probably loves, but how concerning is the injury?

That's seven players who have had cases made for them here over the past month, and I'm sure I could easily do more. Plus there are trade-out possibilities to consider. But what area does Thibs value over the others? We can make assumptions, but otherwise I think most of us are going on what we personally think this team should look like next year and beyond. That's leading to not much consensus and will likely mean a split fan base on draft night.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by karch34 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 am

Great post. Agree with all the analysis.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#31 » by Maefteda » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 am

Once again Sweden get all the Nordic credit.

I think Isaac's future is at the 4 position, he just needs to gain some weight. I'm not completely sold on him though, but he is by far the best fit IMO. Starting as a backup SF while we sign an older PF like Taj or PatPat and in a couple of years Isaac is ready for the PF spot full time.

I'm actually more sold on OG Anunoby. He just looks like a freak. We need some strong and tough defenders. Isaac has a 3PT advantage that makes him more interesting though and you never know with the OG injury.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,985

Post#32 » by Sugarless » Sat May 20, 2017 11:27 am

Maefteda wrote:Once again Sweden get all the Nordic credit.

:lol:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#33 » by No-Man » Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Isaac, Collins or Ntilikina.

Collins means Dieng gotta be out though, Ntilikina and Isaac are more flexible.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#34 » by minimus » Sat May 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Fischella wrote:Isaac, Collins or Ntilikina.

Ntilikina as SG? Or PG?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#35 » by No-Man » Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 pm

minimus wrote:
Fischella wrote:Isaac, Collins or Ntilikina.

Ntilikina as SG? Or PG?

Doesnt really matter, in time he is gonna be able to guard 3 positions and shoot, he is the best 3&D prospect at that range and you need a wingy player like that, never can have enough of those.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#36 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm

collins for me
good inside game with ok defense
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#37 » by shangrila » Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
Sugarless wrote:With the roster as is, there's only one right answer for this question, and it's Isaac. He's far and away the best fit, and he's got the potential to be the best player of the bunch down the road. And I don't know where this low upside narrative has come from, but it's certainly not from someone who's watched the guy regularly this season.

There are a couple people who worry he's Wes Johnson-level passive and I've also worried somewhat about the success rate of Florida State players to the league (Al Thornton anyone?). However, the biggest difference between Isaac and Johnson/Thornton is age. Johnson was 22 and Thornton was 23, while Isaac is only 19. Would also argue that deferring to teammates is a good thing when you have Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine on the roster. Wes Johnson was deferring to Kevin Love (who was great), Michael Beasley and Luke Ridnour.

Using colleges as a barometer for success is ridiculous. I get why we all do that with Syracuse given Flynn and Wes, but if anyone uses those 2 as an excuse not to draft Tyler Lydon, for example, they're idiots.

It doesn't matter where they went. What matters is the competition they faced and what they did against it.

EDIT: BTW, I chose Isaac. I don't see a better all-round fit in the entire draft.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#38 » by southern wolf » Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 am

No concerns over Isaac's weight? He looks like a stiff breeze would knock him over.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#39 » by Klomp » Sun May 21, 2017 1:39 am

southern wolf wrote:No concerns over Isaac's weight? He looks like a stiff breeze would knock him over.

Just three years ago he was only 6'3". It's not like he's going to gain 50 pounds over night when a growth spurt like that happens. He'll grow into his body.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#40 » by Mattya » Sun May 21, 2017 1:44 am

southern wolf wrote:No concerns over Isaac's weight? He looks like a stiff breeze would knock him over.

Why? Nearly every rookie needs to put on weight. He was listed between 205-210 as a freshman at FSU. Kevin Garnett as a rookie was onlyslightly more than that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves