ImageImageImage

Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should the Wolves take at 7?

Isaac
55%
Markkanen
15%
Smith
11%
Monk
6%
Collins
4%
Ntilikina
5%
Anunoby
4%

Total votes: 137

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Re: Who should the Wolves take at #7? Survey Says... 

Post#81 » by Klomp » Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 am

getrichordie wrote:Assuming the picks go in the order below, who do you take?

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Fox
5. Isaac
6. Monk
7. ???

Also, what if the Magic take Tatum over Monk here, then who is your pick?

Probably Markkanen, and I'd hope that Thibs can coach him up defensively
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#82 » by Sugarless » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 am

Klomp wrote:

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Fox
5. Isaac
6. Monk
7. ???

Probably Markkanen, and I'd hope that Thibs can coach him up defensively

Anything can happen, but that's a rather weird draft order.

The Suns still have 3 PGs and are in desperate need for some help at the SF spot, so Tatum and to a lesser extent Isaac would make sense there. The Kings are desperate too... but for a PG, and still have loads of people on their front court with Koufos, WCS, Labissière (who's got several things in common with Isaac) and Papagiannis. And the Magic, while they need help all over the perimeter and saw Payton do better over the last month of the season, still need someone with more upside than him, so instead of Monk they'd probably go for Fox or DSJ if at least one of them was available, though that one's obviously up for debate, moreso since they just got Weltman as POBO and don't even have a GM yet.

Anyway, back to the proposed scenario, if those 6 guys are the ones off the table, then Tatum would be a no brainer. He's further ahead on offense than he's on defense but he definitely has the tools to be a good defender, he's an active guy who just needs to stay alert and continue to learn, and he has the prototypical body of a true SF who can play small ball PF (and has done so plenty of time at Duke), which is exactly what the Wolves need. Plus, he's got a case for being the most ready of the top-3 forwards in this draft, so that makes even more sense for a franchise that's trying to make the playoffs once and for all this year.

And after Tatum, the guy to draft in that scenario would be DSJ... only to get him traded to a team in need of a PG of the future like the Mavs or the Jazz, who are not as sold on Exum as they once were.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,934

Post#83 » by wolves_89 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 pm

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Fox
5. Isaac
6. Monk
7. ???

Tatum would be the clear choice based on the given draft order. If Tatum was gone I'd probably see if the Mavericks were interested in moving up past NY to get Smith (and take Markkanen at #9).
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#84 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Yes, 100% Tatum. That's the easiest hypothetical I have ever seen. I assume the guy who said Markannen did not notice Tatum wasn't there.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Klomp » Tue May 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Yes, 100% Tatum. That's the easiest hypothetical I have ever seen. I assume the guy who said Markannen did not notice Tatum wasn't there.

No, I did. I'm just not a fan of Tatum's fit.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#86 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Yes, 100% Tatum. That's the easiest hypothetical I have ever seen. I assume the guy who said Markannen did not notice Tatum wasn't there.

No, I did. I'm just not a fan of Tatum's fit.

But Markannen over Tatum?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Klomp » Tue May 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Krapinsky wrote:But Markannen over Tatum?

I think Thibs prefers two run with two big men over the small-ball wing and big lineups. And as I've watched Markkanen more, I've seen flashes that he can be more than simply a 3-point shooter. I think he has a little playmaking ability. Really, I think he can be a taller, younger, better Bjelica...and that was a skill set that really made a difference for this team last season before his injury.

I've just never bought into Tatum.

Sugarless
Starter

Post#88 » by Sugarless » Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Klomp wrote:

I think Thibs prefers two run with two big men over the small-ball wing and big lineups. And as I've watched Markkanen more, I've seen flashes that he can be more than simply a 3-point shooter. I think he has a little playmaking ability. Really, I think he can be a taller, younger, better Bjelica...and that was a skill set that really made a difference for this team last season before his injury.

You need to watch more of Tatum.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#89 » by Streakers33 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:03 pm

And this is so why I am on board to trade it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#90 » by GopherIt! » Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

C.lupus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I'm hungry. I could go for a super sub right now.

fast food is gross. try to cook your own healthy nutritious meals full of vitamins, essential minerals and antioxidants :nod: it will help you going the extra mile !!!

I can make my own healthy super sub. Doesn't have to be fast food.

making me hungry. may hit Jersey Lupus Sub's or Lupuschlotsky's
rednal
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#91 » by rednal » Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm

If Isaac is drafted before Minnesota's pick... who would you prefer? Collins or Markannen?
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#92 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Klomp wrote:

I would have to agree with Sugarless and say you have to watch more Tatum.

Tatum is a prototypical play-making do-it-all NBA SF. Danny Granger, Paul Pierce, Gordon Hayward, a rich-mans Otto-Porter are some the comps that have been thrown out there.

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,516

Post#93 » by Note30 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 pm

rednal wrote:If Isaac is drafted before Minnesota's pick... who would you prefer? Collins or Markannen?

Collins no doubt.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Klomp » Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 pm

From what I've seen he's more Carmelo, which is not the type of player I want to add to this core. Also, I don't think it's a given both that Thibs wants to bring LaVine off the bench or that he'll regularly use small-ball lineups. Which essentially means you'd be drafting Tatum for the Muhammad role. Which is fine, but not I don't think that helps his value to this team.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#95 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Klomp wrote:From what I've seen he's more Carmelo, which is not the type of player I want to add to this core. Also, I don't think it's a given both that Thibs wants to bring LaVine off the bench or that he'll regularly use small-ball lineups. Which essentially means you'd be drafting Tatum for the Muhammad role. Which is fine, but not I don't think that helps his value to this team.

You think he is more Carmelo and you want to pass on him with the #7 pick for Markannen? :crazy:

I mean if he's that good, we should take him and put Wiggins on the bench in the Muhammad role. :lol:

HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#96 » by HitmanCapone » Tue May 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Klomp wrote:From what I've seen he's more Carmelo, which is not the type of player I want to add to this core. Also, I don't think it's a given both that Thibs wants to bring LaVine off the bench or that he'll regularly use small-ball lineups. Which essentially means you'd be drafting Tatum for the Muhammad role. Which is fine, but not I don't think that helps his value to this team.

I see more Paul Pierce than Carmelo Anthony.

As for Lavine I think he's another Jamal Crawford. Perfect instant offense off the bench and most likely a 6th man of the year candidate however you could be right about Thibs not wanting to bring him off the bench but unless Lavine does something major this year I think that's his best spot. Btw is Lavine supposed to be ready at the beginning of the year?
Sugarless
Starter

Post#97 » by Sugarless » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Krapinsky wrote:

You think he is more Carmelo and you want to pass on him with the #7 pick for Markannen? :crazy:

I mean if he's that good, we should take him and put Wiggins on the bench in the Muhammad role. :lol:

Klomp, what you've seen are comparisons based mainly on his high-school game. He's been compared to Melo forever, but this season he's shown he's much more than a post-up / midrange threat. He's a very good rebounder, he's got good handles and can attack the basket, he's shown he can be a very good defender if he's focused and properly taught (good luck finding that in Melo at any point in his career), and he's nowhere near the ballhog that Melo has been his whole life. He's much more of a team player that knew how to deferr to Kennard and Allen, and he was there to do what Duke needed of him throughout the year. The Melo comp is old and shortsighted right now. Just watch the games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Klomp » Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Sugarless wrote:Klomp, what you've seen are comparisons based mainly on his high-school game. He's been compared to Melo forever, but this season he's shown he's much more than a post-up / midrange threat. He's a very good rebounder, he's got good handles and can attack the basket, he's shown he can be a very good defender if he's focused and properly taught (good luck finding that in Melo at any point in his career), and he's nowhere near the ballhog that Melo has been his whole life. He's much more of a team player that knew how to deferr to Kennard and Allen, and he was there to do what Duke needed of him throughout the year. The Melo comp is old and shortsighted right now. Just watch the games.

That's very possible. But even while watching highlights, I was never really wowed by him. He probably has a higher floor than someone like Isaac, for example, but I just didn't see what I personally look for in a draft pick (high-end measurables or a high-end skill). He might be a very good player, just not who I would personally target.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Klomp » Wed May 24, 2017 7:11 am

I finally got around to watching some video on Tatum after my work shift tonight.

I will start out by saying he's considerably more athletic than I thought he was. I don't know why, but I thought he was an unathletic wing. While I wouldn't put him in an athletic category with Wiggins and LaVine, he's more than capable in that department. I was also impressed by his ability to create his own shot with his handle. We've seen Wiggins struggle in that area, so it's nice if we want an alternative option there. He's also clearly got an NBA ready body. It is strange how wrong his numbers seem by looking at him.

All that being said, I'm somewhat concerned with how much iso I saw. I don't know if that's Duke's system or just Tatum's style, but I was hoping to see more versatility. I think the heavy iso and mid-range game is good to have, but there needs to be more in his arsenal for me to be totally convinced. I also didn't really see much defensive/rebounding highlights, so I can't really say how that might translate.

So basically, my impression of him has improved, but probably not enough to make me pull the trigger with no questions asked.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Klomp » Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 am

Doesn't hurt that he's got Drew Hanlen helping him rework his jumper though....

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves