ImageImageImage

The Justin Patton thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#421 » by jmoy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 am

He will probably go to the G league for a couple weeks before they think about him being with the Wolves. Unless someone is injured, he isn't needed on the big club for a while
PuppyBite
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#422 » by PuppyBite » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 am

... anyways. Actual doctors say bone density should be considered as part of healing. That takes years, which is aligned with when he more realistically would be ready skill wise. I would be more concerned with posts saying he can be a rim protector this season... #NextMutumbo
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#423 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:17 am

Hopefully he gets a little practice run this year and is ready to soak up some significant minutes next year.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#424 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:52 pm

Looks like hes been cleared to start 5 on 5 contact practice.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#425 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:23 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Looks like hes been cleared to start 5 on 5 contact practice.

Im excited!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#426 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:46 pm

And promptly sent down to Iowa, as expected.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#427 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:14 pm

The Iowa team is home all week, with games today, Tuesday and Friday, so he'll get more practice work there than he would being on the road with the Wolves, who won't practice again until Friday.

http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-assign-justin-patton-to-iowa-wolves/461658543/
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,663

Post#428 » by Calinks » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:40 pm

Will be cool if he gets some Iowa games in soon. Will check him out if I can find the games
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#429 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:12 pm

Calinks wrote:Will check him out if I can find the games

Facebook Live

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,663

Post#430 » by Calinks » Sun Dec 3, 2017 9:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:Will check him out if I can find the games

Facebook Live

Look like I will finally have to use facebook :lol:
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#431 » by minimus » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:09 am

After draft I was wondering if we need Justin Patton. now I can see a lot of opportunities for him.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#432 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:29 am

We could really use Patton becoming David Robinson incarnate.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#433 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,156

Post#434 » by AirP. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#435 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Abolutely awesome that he is back on the court. Hopefully he cracks the rotation by the end of the year.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 391

Post#436 » by Rookie-Mistake » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Who watched the game? What did his interior D look like? It would be great if we could put him at 5, KAT @ 4 and interchange
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#437 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Who watched the game? What did his interior D look like? It would be great if we could put him at 5, KAT @ 4 and interchange

I didn't watch.

I did listen to an interview though (Krawczynski? Zgoda? don't remember) and apparently the Iowa coach said the first few minutes looked rusty as expected but then something clicked and he looked really good.

EDIT: It was Benz during the game yesterday who said that.

It's still his first game in about 9 months and first basketball activities in about 5 months though. Don't expect immediate major contributions in the NBA. Thibs said in that interview posted earlier that this is like his training camp ("3-4 weeks"), so I wouldn't even expect him to be called up until January at the earliest, unless something catastrophic is happening here.

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,036

Post#438 » by wolves_89 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Who watched the game? What did his interior D look like? It would be great if we could put him at 5, KAT @ 4 and interchange

Here's my comments on Patton's debut copied from the Iowa Wolves G-League thread.

In his debut Patton looked better on defense than I expected. He seemed to have decent awareness and was in position to contest shots in the paint. He ended up with 4 blocks in 16 minutes and on a couple of those he was able to secure the ball. He also looked like he was making an effort to find his man and box out which is something that the Wolves sometimes lack at the NBA level. I really liked my first view of him on the defensive side of the ball.

On offense he looked like a guy playing his first professional game. His outside shot looked pretty bad with every jumper ending up barely getting to the front of the rim. I did like that he was looking to dunk the ball when in traffic and he finished a couple of nice plays at the rim. He also looked good at the free throw line going 5-5 with a good looking stroke.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#439 » by TheDominator273 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 am

I think we can expect a less athletically awkward version of Dieng with Patton as a realistic comparison. He seems to have good IQ and awareness and the ability to do the little things well.

I don't see star talent in him, but I see quality starter who does a lot of things well.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#440 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 am

wolves_89 wrote:In his debut Patton looked better on defense than I expected.

Better than you expected coming off injury or in general?

Because defense is likely where he's going to make his mark. He probably won't ever be an offensive juggernaut. He's not a liability on that end, but I believe defense is his biggest opportunity for success and why he was drafted ahead of someone like John Collins.

There have been Marcus Camby comps thrown around, and I think those are a pretty good projection for his skill set. On offense, he'll get most of his opportunity in rim-runs, finishing in the paint, and a developing perimeter game. He can post up, but that's not really where he's at his best. On defense, he's long and agile. He blocks shots.

I don't know his ceiling, but I think he could offer bench production by next year.

If you have some time, check out some of his games from last year. Not only the highlight cut-ups, but there are a handful of full games from last year on Youtube. The channel White & Blue Review is another good resource, because you can see him on plays where he doesn't end up in the stat sheet. See how he plays off the ball, etc. I linked a playlist of last year's games from them.

I'm not saying he's a perfect prospect. He has his flaws. DX said his rebounding was question, especially in positioning. Needs to get stronger. But regarding strength, remember that just 6 years ago he was 6-foot-2. He grew 7 inches as a sophomore in HS, but didn't really start filling out his frame until his redshirt year at Creighton (2 years ago). Greg McDermott got his ass in the weight room and got his ass in the paint. That's why he's mostly raw yet as a prospect. But the potential is certainly there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves