ImageImageImage

The Justin Patton thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,770

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#461 » by minimus » Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:46 am

It would be funny if Patton ends up as our best player in offense, not defense.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#462 » by TaylorTag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 am

When we drafted Patton, I was under the impression that he would be Dieng's eventual replacement, with the premise being that we would try to trade Dieng either this year or next year.

But is it possible that Patton was drafted for the purpose of replacing Bjelica, who likely will leave after this season?

Obviously Patton and Bjelica aren't exactly the same players, but Dieng really seems like a great fit on this roster right now and is growing into that backup center role nicely. Hard to see Patton holding up as KAT's backup
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,641

Post#463 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am

MPLSwolves wrote:When we drafted Patton, I was under the impression that he would be Dieng's eventual replacement, with the premise being that we would try to trade Dieng either this year or next year.

But is it possible that Patton was drafted for the purpose of replacing Bjelica, who likely will leave after this season?

Obviously Patton and Bjelica aren't exactly the same players, but Dieng really seems like a great fit on this roster right now and is growing into that backup center role nicely. Hard to see Patton holding up as KAT's backup

It could be a combination of the two. I think eventually, Dieng will be traded. But for various reasons, that could be difficult at the moment, and even into the summer. But Bjelica could be expensive this summer and they may need to shift course and bring Patton into the rotation to help the team financially.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#464 » by TaylorTag » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 am

Klomp wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:When we drafted Patton, I was under the impression that he would be Dieng's eventual replacement, with the premise being that we would try to trade Dieng either this year or next year.

It could be a combination of the two. I think eventually, Dieng will be traded. But for various reasons, that could be difficult at the moment, and even into the summer. But Bjelica could be expensive this summer and they may need to shift course and bring Patton into the rotation to help the team financially.

those are good points.

I keep coming back to Thibs offering Dieng that contract. At the time, people thought it was an overpay. And you can't really blame them. So the question is why Thibs would offer Dieng that money. Sure, Dieng was a starter, and a competent one at that, but you have to think that Thibs was eying someone like Gibson to come in to play next to KAT (Dieng isn't exactly the ideal starter next to Towns). So why the large contract? Maybe Thibs knew, and what was said by the ESPN broadcast last night, that Dieng was the ideal 3rd big man on this team and was worth the contract because of it.

Besides Dieng, you have to think that Thibs knew leading up to the draft that this was Bjelca's last year on the team. I like Belly a lot, and seems like he is a good locker room guy, but Belly was always going to get a larger contract somewhere else, and we just can't afford that luxury unfortunately. The only way Belly was coming back was if he got hurt and played in sub 20 games this year. But that is and wasn't going to be the case. So Thibs had to be anticipating Belly's impending departure.

I realize this is a fruitless thought process because I'm sure the Wolves just picked BPA and figured we'll see how this season plays out. But with Dieng on a bloated contract (in terms of his minutes played) and Belly's upcoming free agency, you have to wonder how Patton plays into both of their futures.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#465 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 am

I think the short term plan was for Patton to replace Bjelica next season, but I've come to doubt how well that would work. Patton's jump shot needs a lot more work than I had originally hoped, so he isn't going to be able to fill a stretch big role in the near future. I can see him being able to play some backup center minutes next season, but I believe we'll still need a stretch big off the bench (could be a re-signed Bjelica or someone acquired in a trade).

Unless they pick up someone before the trade deadline the Wolves are going to need to add a competent bench wing and a stretch big this off-season. The most likely scenarios involve moving Dieng or Teague to reshape the roster. Jones has shown he can take over the starting PG role and Patton likely could take over some of Dieng's role as a 3rd big.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#466 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#467 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:07 pm

He's already got a better post game than Dieng.
Monsterpile
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#468 » by Monsterpile » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

A few thoughts:

1. It seems like Patton was picked as BPA to me. The theory of this guy is a modern NBA big with the physical makeup of a center. IN THEORY you have a guy that can pass, shoot, post up, block shots, run the floor and maybe even move his feet sometimes on switches. Will he get there? idk. HE also has a decent floor of a guy that just run the floor as a center and plays well as a roller to the basket which he was elite in one year of college.

2. When Dieng signed his extension it was considered at or below the market value compared to what other guys had received. There were some smart people that looked ahead to the next offseason and predicted there would be less money to go around and it would be too much. I have doubts that a year later they were drafting a guy just to dump Dieng. Thibs called him one of their most improved players last season. There are reliable folks saying he is available in a trade. It makes sense and yet I bet like Rubio they aren't looking to just give him away. I've heard he is well liked by his teammates and Butelr LOVES him. Now that Dieng is playing like the guy he has been the last couple of years he is earning probably at least 8 million of his contract this year plus he is taking and making 3's. Its not like the guy can't play and has years and a bunch of money on his deal.

3. It seems really clear Thibs really likes and values Belly. Will the Wolves keep him beyond this year? I think the chances are high. he is a RFA this offseason and there is not a bunch of money to go around. I'd guess the maximum money he would be offered by any team is Mid-level Excemption money. I think the guy just wants to ball and he Wolves are in pretty good position to keep him. Also he has a pretty unique skillset as a legit bigman sized body with the playmaking skills of a bench wing. Patton isn't likely going to have quite that kind of skillset even though I like his all-around theoretical skillset. Belly has been pretty good in a few games lately guarding SFs which has surprised me. We will see if he can keep that up.

EDIT: One last thing its worth remembering how raw Patton is he redshirted his first year at Creighton and IMO he just needs to play a bunch of games especially after his injury. I think some guys have some problems developing at the NBA level because they just don't get to get out and play games. I think some guys more than others need to play in games and not only work on their games but have that chance for trial and error.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#469 » by jmoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Monsterpile wrote:A few thoughts:

3. It seems really clear Thibs really likes and values Belly. Will the Wolves keep him beyond this year? I think the chances are high. he is a RFA this offseason and there is not a bunch of money to go around. I'd guess the maximum money he would be offered by any team is Mid-level Excemption money. I think the guy just wants to ball and he Wolves are in pretty good position to keep him. Also he has a pretty unique skillset as a legit bigman sized body with the playmaking skills of a bench wing. Patton isn't likely going to have quite that kind of skillset even though I like his all-around theoretical skillset. Belly has been pretty good in a few games lately guarding SFs which has surprised me. We will see if he can keep that up.

We need to remember, Bjelly is 29 so I doubt any rebuilding team gives him big money and most other teams are already at the cap. He also has yet to truly play well for more than a handful of games in a row. Wolves can resign Bjelly and develop Patton and after next year, Gibson being 34(?) might not be around and Patton replaces him instead of Dieng and Bjelly turns into more of a stretch 4.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#470 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Without looking at the numbers, I think my cap for keeping Bjeli would be around $5 million/year. Otherwise, I'm rolling with Patton or Jefferson as my fourth big next year.

Mrva
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#471 » by Mrva » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 pm

He is getting more than 5m, definitely. I see at least 3y/20m, maybe even 4y/40m.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#472 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Mrva wrote:He is getting more than 5m, definitely. I see at least 3y/20m, maybe even 4y/40m.

Maybe he will. I was simply stating what I would be willing to offer. He's a 4th big. The second and third bigs are both making $14 million and the first will be making $25-30 million soon.

dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#473 » by dred926 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 pm

I think if patton becomes serviceable. I wouldnt mind trading Dieng plus pick and let go of belly assuming we keep Jefferson. I would also let shabazz be part of the trade and get a troy brown in return.
Mrva
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#474 » by Mrva » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mrva wrote:He is getting more than 5m, definitely. I see at least 3y/20m, maybe even 4y/40m.

Maybe he will. I was simply stating what I would be willing to offer. He's a 4th big. The second and third bigs are both making $14 million and the first will be making $25-30 million soon.

Oh, I see. Better option is trading Dieng ofc. Then have Bjelica as the 3rd big and have either Patton (unlikely) or sign someone as the 4th big for reasonable price.

For Dieng,I see a few teams that would accept his contract without adding any value (Dallas, Mil, Chi..)
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Post#475 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:54 pm

dred926 wrote:I think if patton becomes serviceable. I wouldnt mind trading Dieng plus pick and let go of belly assuming we keep Jefferson. I would also let shabazz be part of the trade and get a troy brown in return.

We could part with Dieng if we find out Patton can play, but Belly is a different type of player. Belly stretches the floor, and I think it's useful to have that as opposed to another interior big.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 am

In 22 minutes, Patton put up 10 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals and a team-high +29 in Iowa's 123-89 win over the South Bay Lakers.

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#477 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:26 am

Saw a few of the highlights posted in this thread. He's smooth & has nice footwork, but he won't get a minute of PT this year. Maybe if we lock up a certain seed & rest our guys in the last game of the reg season, but he's still too raw
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#478 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 am

theGreatRC wrote:Saw a few of the highlights posted in this thread. He's smooth & has nice footwork, but he won't get a minute of PT this year. Maybe if we lock up a certain seed & rest our guys in the last game of the reg season, but he's still too raw

Certainly won't get time this year. That's been my expectation since we drafted him.

The one thing to note is that the G League season ends March 24. As of today, Iowa would narrowly miss the G League playoffs. But that also means Patton and the two-ways could join the parent club. And while two-ways aren't eligible to play in the NBA playoffs, they can be there to practice and travel with the team all the way through.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#479 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm

He might be the best passing big man on our team, which I think is saying something....

Read on Twitter

BTW if anyone cares, the color commentator was longtime NBAer AC Green

SmokeyK
Junior
And1: 19

Post#480 » by SmokeyK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Klomp wrote:He might be the best passing big man on our team, which I think is saying something....

Read on Twitter

BTW if anyone cares, the color commentator was longtime NBAer AC Green

He was a 6-3 pg before he grew to 7-0 in little over a year...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves