ImageImageImage

The Justin Patton thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#521 » by beezy » Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:25 pm

The thing that just JUMPS out at you in his highlights is his passing. It is dynamic and shows amazing court vision.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,901

Post#522 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 6, 2018 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#523 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 6, 2018 8:40 pm

beezy wrote:The thing that just JUMPS out at you in his highlights is his passing. It is dynamic and shows amazing court vision.

It's almost Jokic-esque at times. I feel like there are moments he's a bit careless in his pass selection, but usually it's on point!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#524 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 7, 2018 7:34 am

How tall is Patton actually?

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#525 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:04 am

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,192

Post#526 » by Neeva » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:15 am

If Porzingas is 7'3 Patton looks taller than 7 feet but could be his hair that makes him look taller.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#527 » by minimus » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:53 am

Patton looks bigger in gleague because he plays against undersized frontcourts. His play gives me Camby vibes
beezy
Sophomore

Post#528 » by beezy » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:13 pm

I saw Patton standing next to 6'10" Belly at a game before the G League and he was at least 3 inches taller.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#529 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:31 am

beezy wrote:I saw Patton standing next to 6'10" Belly at a game before the G League and he was at least 3 inches taller.

They mentioned that during today's broadcast too, if you check out the above highlights. I'd guess he's more like 7-0 or 7-1 now.

"Patton is listed at 6-11, but he makes the Spurs' 7-footers look about 6-9."

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#530 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 am

Read on Twitter

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#531 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:19 am

Wow. Patton's tape and skillset just continually pops.

What kind of ceiling does Patton have at the NBA level? In a weird way he kind of reminds me of a poor-mans Embiid in terms of playstyle.

Can Patton and Towns play together?

If two years down the line Towns is playing 35 mpg and Patton 32 mpg how do you fill out the frontcourt rotation around these two? Seems like Bjelica is a good fit. What other frontcourt players do you surround them with?

Towns - Patton - ________
Patton - Bjelica - Towns - __________
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#532 » by southern wolf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

Patton > Dieng
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#533 » by Joel Embust » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 am

He was one of the better prospects in a very good draft class. It looks like he has expanded his game in a way that makes him more valuable in today's NBA. Dude is hitting threes and pull up mid range shots as well as one legged fade aways. He was projected to be a rim runner/rim protector. His jumpshot and free throw shooting were labeled as glaring holes, but he has addressed them in a big way. Dude is going to impress a lot of people in the NBA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

TheZachAttack wrote:What kind of ceiling does Patton have at the NBA level? In a weird way he kind of reminds me of a poor-mans Embiid in terms of playstyle.

A lot of people were saying Marcus Camby, but there are times I feel it could be selling him short on the offensive end. I see some Towns in his game at times.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,959

Post#535 » by Domejandro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am

I liked Justin Patton pre-draft, I had a post over on RubeChat (RIP) about him potentially evolving into a Jack Sickma type player at his ceiling, if he developed properly.

I had no idea the dude's passing and ball-handling was THIS crisp though, it is very, very impressive.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#536 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

Klomp wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:What kind of ceiling does Patton have at the NBA level? In a weird way he kind of reminds me of a poor-mans Embiid in terms of playstyle.

A lot of people were saying Marcus Camby, but there are times I feel it could be selling him short on the offensive end. I see some Towns in his game at times.

Feels like a good comp in terms of height/body type/athleticism/length profile. Patton seems to move around the court in a similiar way at a similiar size and body type to Camby. My memory of Camby offensively is that he operated in the same way that a DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela might. Now maybe Camby was doing the types of things Patton is doing against lesser competition pre-NBA and was hindered by an NBA that hadn't evolved to let players that size have the type of freedom that 7 footers today enjoy--but Patton is certainly flashing a lot of offensive potential. I think Patton is bigger than Camby though.

I say Embiid because of the passing flair, the size, and willingness to play from the perimeter and general offensive flair... but obviously Patton isn't at Embiid's level.

Towns moves differently than Patton too and I don't expect Patton to develop into as good of a shooter as Towns. Embiid is a lot streakier shooter than Towns.

Towns is at 46.5%, 50%, and 44% from 10-16, 16-23, and 3 PT. Embiid is at 45%, 46%, and 30% from those same distances. He actually shoots more than Towns from these distances and over 50% of his shots come from these ranges while Towns is in the low 40% range.

I feel like Patton will be a good shooter, but more in the mold of Embiid than Towns.
beezy
Sophomore

Post#537 » by beezy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Patton in many ways looks like as much of a natural talent as KAT. One thing I like about Patton over KAT is he shoots an actual jump shot not that flat-footed semi weird shot that KAT puts up. He's also a bigger bodied guy than KAT. He will allow a nice slide over to stretch 4 for KAT and Patton can play the 5. Patton makes Dieng's contract look worse and worse by the minute.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 569

Post#538 » by TwolvesFanRome » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Klomp wrote:

Nikola Jokic ?

Am I crazy ?
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#539 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I just want him to be a good a Deing, so we can move his contract and not miss a beat. Anything better than that would be gravy. If the Wolves no longer have Dieng and Gibson on the roster at the start of the 2019 season and Patton can give them solid minutes at the 4 at 2 mill, that's huge news.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,729

Post#540 » by AirP. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves