AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah!
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#542 » by Peezo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm

This is great, but I wonder how long this will be for. Is it going to be reversed on the other side of the break? If so - not a huge problem. But if it is for the rest of the year it must mean they think he will actually get some minutes. I'm surprised, but I like that they want him with the big club.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#543 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Again, I don't read much into this recall. Like the one in late December, it's simply because Iowa has a long layoff before its next game on Feb. 21.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#544 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:09 pm

It could be the layoff is the only reason for the call up. Thibs had said something like he was looking forward to bringing him up to the Wolves, but wasn't going to do it until he was healthy enough to get out of his minute restriction. Does anyone know if that has happened?
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#545 » by vagelis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Patton seems very agile for his height, with very good handles and seems to have connection with the basket. I can see some similarities with Towns in his playing style.
I think he can be a positive surprise when he takes some minutes with the first team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#546 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:It could be the layoff is the only reason for the call up. Thibs had said something like he was looking forward to bringing him up to the Wolves, but wasn't going to do it until he was healthy enough to get out of his minute restriction. Does anyone know if that has happened?

He hasn't logged over 25 minutes in a game yet, so I would say no.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#547 » by ace625214 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Patton moves better than KAT in my eyes. I don't know if he has the top-end speed that KAT does, but he looks more balanced and abrupt laterally. Karl just blows by people, Justin looks like he could hit stepback pull-ups on guards. I'm really excited to see what he can do later this season. The only bad part is that the inevitable small amount of minutes he gets will take him out of the running for rookie of the year next season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#548 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

I think he'll just keep working his way up.

He'll start by taking Bjeli's spot in the rotation. Eventually, he'll move up to take Dieng's role as the third big, with a new floor-spacing PF brought in. Either that or the next step will be putting him in the starting lineup with Taj moving on or moving to the bench on a small contract.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#549 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#550 » by AirP. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 pm

ace625214 wrote:Patton moves better than KAT in my eyes. I don't know if he has the top-end speed that KAT does, but he looks more balanced and abrupt laterally. Karl just blows by people, Justin looks like he could hit stepback pull-ups on guards. I'm really excited to see what he can do later this season. The only bad part is that the inevitable small amount of minutes he gets will take him out of the running for rookie of the year next season.

Justin Patton was a PG most of his life, he was 6'1'' as a freshman in HS. This is where his uniqueness comes from vs a player who's just been bigger then everyone else all his life. Patton seems to be willing to learn and to understand what he's suppose to develop skills as a big, this is key because there's been players who won the growth spurt lottery and never wanted to utilize their size as a big. I think Towns and Patton are where the NBA is going with bigs in the future although teams will probably always be able to utilize a big rim protector who can rebound and their limited offensive skills keep them around the basket.

Not sure how many minutes Patton will see this year, he's being brought up to be around his eventual teammates, get in some practices at the pro level and let the coaching staff see where he's currently at in his development.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#551 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

ace625214 wrote:The only bad part is that the inevitable small amount of minutes he gets will take him out of the running for rookie of the year next season.
Unless he's ballin out of this world in practice, Thibs wouldn't give him enough minutes for him to compete for ROY.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#552 » by Narf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
ace625214 wrote:The only bad part is that the inevitable small amount of minutes he gets will take him out of the running for rookie of the year next season.
Unless he's ballin out of this world in practice, Thibs wouldn't give him enough minutes for him to compete for ROY.

As a true rookie maybe. But he'll have a year of learning under his belt and be more NBA ready next year. If we trade Dieng in the offseason I'd expect Patton to get some regular playing time.

Edit:
Unless you meant this year. He won't get ROY this year.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#553 » by Domejandro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am

Not resigning Bjelica would be a huge mistake, he is the ideal fit next to both Towns and Patton.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#554 » by TheProdigy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 am

Domejandro wrote:Not resigning Bjelica would be a huge mistake, he is the ideal fit next to both Towns and Patton.

Exactly!
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#555 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 am

Domejandro wrote:Not resigning Bjelica would be a huge mistake, he is the ideal fit next to both Towns and Patton.

It's more the numbers than anything. Bjelica is nice and all but not a guy worth going into the lux for.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Re: RE: Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#556 » by minimus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 am

shangrila wrote:

It's more the numbers than anything. Bjelica is nice and all but not a guy worth going into the lux for.

I really like Bjelica's game, but I wonder if Deng can do the same for us for vetmin
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Re: RE: Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#557 » by Domejandro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 am

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:

I really like Bjelica's game, but I wonder if Deng can do the same for us for vetmin

Not at all, he can’t hit threes at a nearly proficient rate, nor can he do most of what Nemanja Bjelica can.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#558 » by minimus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am

Domejandro wrote:
minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:It's more the numbers than anything. Bjelica is nice and all but not a guy worth going into the lux for.

Not at all, he can’t hit threes at a nearly proficient rate, nor can he do most of what Nemanja Bjelica can.

Thats correct, Bjelica is a better player by far. But lets imagine that we have group of Amile, Patton, Taj and Deng. I guess we can live with Deng as smallball PF for vetmin, without paying huge lux tax for Bjelica. If Dieng is traded AND Bjelica accepts reasonable deal than I am all in for Bjelica as our main FA this summer.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#559 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's ridiculous - If he's not "fully medically cleared" then he shouldn't be playing full stop.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#560 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Narf wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

As a true rookie maybe. But he'll have a year of learning under his belt and be more NBA ready next year. If we trade Dieng in the offseason I'd expect Patton to get some regular playing time.

Edit:
Unless you meant this year. He won't get ROY this year.

I meant next year. I see very few takers for Dieng, and if he is gone, will JP be developed enough (tough enough) to handle Thibs system? We ALL know that isn't going to change. I guess we will see if he can handle the task. I hope so. But watching/practicing for a year isn't the same once it starts to count.

ROY? See J Butler's rookie minutes. 23 DNP-CD recorded. :crazy: Right?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves