mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#561 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's ridiculous - If he's not "fully medically cleared" then he shouldn't be playing full stop.

I thought the same thing.
But maybe Thibs wants to run him into the ground like all his players. :lol:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#562 » by Worm Guts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's ridiculous - If he's not "fully medically cleared" then he shouldn't be playing full stop.

It's not Thibs' call, I'm sure it's a medical professional making that decision. Someone more qualified than any of us.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#563 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:That's ridiculous - If he's not "fully medically cleared" then he shouldn't be playing full stop.

It's not Thibs' call, I'm sure it's a medical professional making that decision. Someone more qualified than any of us.

Oh, I get it.
I just think this is an excuse not to try and inject him into a game which most of us would like to see.
Either way, Thibs is going to be Thibs. And rookies have to earn his respect. IMHO. (See Dunn, and that was his pick.)
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#564 » by Worm Guts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Oh, I get it.
I just think this is an excuse not to try and inject him into a game which most of us would like to see.
Either way, Thibs is going to be Thibs. And rookies have to earn his respect. IMHO. (See Dunn, and that was his pick.)

It's probably less about Patton being a rookie and more about Dieng making 16 million a year.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#565 » by Narf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:53 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Narf wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Unless he's ballin out of this world in practice, Thibs wouldn't give him enough minutes for him to compete for ROY.

As a true rookie maybe. But he'll have a year of learning under his belt and be more NBA ready next year. If we trade Dieng in the offseason I'd expect Patton to get some regular playing time.

Edit:
Unless you meant this year. He won't get ROY this year.

I meant next year. I see very few takers for Dieng, and if he is gone, will JP be developed enough (tough enough) to handle Thibs system? We ALL know that isn't going to change. I guess we will see if he can handle the task. I hope so. But watching/practicing for a year isn't the same once it starts to count.

ROY? See J Butler's rookie minutes. 23 DNP-CD recorded. :crazy: Right?

No. Jimmy was a late draft pick with an insane work ethic. He wasn't that good out the gate, and that team had Rip Hamilton, Ronnie Brewer, Korver and Luol Deng.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#566 » by Vindicater » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Oh, I get it.

It's probably less about Patton being a rookie and more about Dieng making 16 million a year.

That cntract is going to come back and bite us hard.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#567 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 am

Vindicater wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Oh, I get it.

Yeah, though I still think we dodged a bullet overall with it. If they'd given him what other guys were getting that year he'd be on 20mil+ per and that would nearly cripple us.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#568 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#569 » by Vindicater » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

shangrila wrote:
Vindicater wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Yeah, though I still think we dodged a bullet overall with it. If they'd given him what other guys were getting that year he'd be on 20mil+ per and that would nearly cripple us.

Very true.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Raigoki
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#570 » by Raigoki » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

i'd say let patton rest this season and play on Iowa Wolves. Let him develop there. Next season, we might have a ROY contender. :)
Ben simmons got a lot of time refining his skills by not playing with the 6ers on his year being drafted.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#571 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

Interesting....Iowa playing tonight in first game after break, but no Justin Patton.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#572 » by jmoy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am

Klomp wrote:Interesting....Iowa playing tonight in first game after break, but no Justin Patton.

Yeah, I am watching that game and no Patton. Would like to see him play there instead of sit in Minnesota
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#573 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 am

jmoy wrote:
Klomp wrote:Interesting....Iowa playing tonight in first game after break, but no Justin Patton.

Yeah, I am watching that game and no Patton. Would like to see him play there instead of sit in Minnesota

This is just guessing on my part, but it could be that a couple days of practice with the NBA team (not sure when they started up again) was viewed as more beneficial than a one-game road trip to New York with the G League club.

jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#574 » by jmoy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 am

Klomp wrote:
jmoy wrote:

This is just guessing on my part, but it could be that a couple days of practice with the NBA team (not sure when they started up again) was viewed as more beneficial than a one-game road trip to New York with the G League club.

I agree and that is probably correct, but I hope he doesn't stay with the TWolves unless they give him playing time.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#575 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I think it was the last game where they said he was going in for a check up and would most likely be medically cleared to play. If so Thibs has said all along we were waiting for that before he gets to play with the big boys. Could he be a guy we use for a push for the playoffs. Might be why we didn’t make any moves at the deadline because we knew we were about to add him?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#576 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm

So, if Thibs decides to play Patton at any point this season it takes away his rookie status for next year?
If so, then let him stay on the bench to see how life in the NBA really is, or send him down.

I would like him to have something to motivate him next year, and ROY could be that motivation.
I guess I don't see the point this year of playing him. Is it me?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#577 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:So, if Thibs decides to play Patton at any point this season it takes away his rookie status for next year?
If so, then let him stay on the bench to see how life in the NBA really is, or send him down.

I would like him to have something to motivate him next year, and ROY could be that motivation.

Giving him legitimate, NBA experience is far more important to his development.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#578 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Domejandro wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:So, if Thibs decides to play Patton at any point this season it takes away his rookie status for next year?

I would think more time to get healthier, stronger and 25 plus minutes in the G is better than 5-7 minutes per night in the bigs.
Who's minutes does he take? Gibson? Dieng? Tough call.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#579 » by wolfen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

I would think more time to get healthier, stronger and 25 plus minutes in the G is better than 5-7 minutes per night in the bigs.
Who's minutes does he take? Gibson? Dieng? Tough call.

The g league ends the end of March I believe, so there really aren't that many games left down there. I'd say let him play 2 more weeks down there, then bring him back up. So he'll miss the last 2 weeks of the g league, no biggie. At that point he'd be better off getting his feet wet in the big leagues.

I could care less about rookie of the year stuff, much more important to get him in the swing of things, even if it's a minute here or there this year. I would certainly like to give our WINGS a rest by playing Bjelly at the 3 most of the time, that leaves backup PF minutes that would need to be covered - IF Patton would be ready...
Araxen
Junior
And1: 91

Post#580 » by Araxen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Patton was sent back down to Iowa today.

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves