ImageImageImage

The Justin Patton thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Re: The Justin Patton thread 

Post#701 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:If the car is his, not sure I'm a fan..

Why?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#702 » by Rookie-Mistake » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:18 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:If the car is his, not sure I'm a fan..

Why?

Because its so Cliché!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#703 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Neeva wrote:Jesus Patton better not turn out to be a waste.

He very easily could end up being a waste.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#704 » by wolfen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:Jesus Patton better not turn out to be a waste.

He very easily could end up being a waste.

He's way way way too talented to be a waste, I'm telling you guys. Can't wait for the young man to get healthy and into the flow of the nba and build up that confidence.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#705 » by wildvikeswolves » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:51 pm

The foot injury is my only worry. If he get's past that then no doubt in my mind he will be a very good player.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#706 » by yawner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Do you see a duo Patton-Towns playing together (in the starting five) in two or three seasons from now?

If not, do you think he has a first rounder value?

It could be interesting to look for a trade or use him to ease one, to get a good 3+D wing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#707 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:45 pm

yawner wrote:Do you see a duo Patton-Towns playing together (in the starting five) in two or three seasons from now?

I wouldn't completely rule it out
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
yawner
Sophomore

Post#708 » by yawner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
yawner wrote:Do you see a duo Patton-Towns playing together (in the starting five) in two or three seasons from now?

Making Towns play 4?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#709 » by minimus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Making Towns play 4?

If they both play smart, then KAT-Patton duo can be a lethal weapon. Talent is there, physical tools as well.
yawner
Sophomore

Post#710 » by yawner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:01 pm

minimus wrote:
yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:I wouldn't completely rule it out

Making Towns play 4?

If they both play smart, then KAT-Patton duo can be a lethal weapon. Talent is there, physical tools as well.

I hope you are right. :wink:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,857

Post#711 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Here's a good sign...

Read on Twitter
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#712 » by wolfen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 pm

AirP. wrote:Here's a good sign...

Read on Twitter

You don't monkey with liftig that kind of weight if your feet aren't COMPLETELY healthy. Certainly he's been given the approval of the training staff to do such massive lifting. It would be stunning if he's not good to go when training camp starts. Keep putting on the beef young fella!!
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#713 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:25 pm

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Making Towns play 4?

I thought the game was position less nowadays. Guards and Bigs right? Because the Center position has change.

I just hope if they do play together, Patton can guard the rim. Not sure if KAT will ever get his D together.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#714 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:56 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:I wouldn't completely rule it out

Making Towns play 4?

I thought the game was position less nowadays. Guards and Bigs right? Because the Center position has change.

I just hope if they do play together, Patton can guard the rim. Not sure if KAT will ever get his D together.

At the time when Patton was drafted, it really made zero sense to waste a mid 1st round pick on a backup to a 21/22 year old franchise center with other positions having much greater needs. I still expect to see Towns and Patton starting together in the next few years.

On Towns and his rim protection, he's mobile, he can block shots but he still is easily manipulated on the defensive end by the plays and by individual players. He has a high ceiling on the defensive end but I'm not sure he'll ever get close to it, I just hope to see him become average on the defensive end, it'll be good enough to go with his incredible scoring efficiency/volume on the offensive end.

Patton's not your average big, his skillset should make him dangerous on the offensive end being the 4th or 5th option with his ability to fill lanes, hit open jumpers and makes some plays passing the ball.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#715 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 pm

AirP. wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
yawner wrote:
Making Towns play 4?

At the time when Patton was drafted, it really made zero sense to waste a mid 1st round pick on a backup to a 21/22 year old franchise center with other positions having much greater needs. I still expect to see Towns and Patton starting together in the next few years.

On Towns and his rim protection, he's mobile, he can block shots but he still is easily manipulated on the defensive end by the plays and by individual players. He has a high ceiling on the defensive end but I'm not sure he'll ever get close to it, I just hope to see him become average on the defensive end, it'll be good enough to go with his incredible scoring efficiency/volume on the offensive end.

At the time Patton was drafted, he had just turned 20. Looking back on the draft, there wasn't really any decent wings available other than OJ, who was coming back from a bad knee injury. Ironically, OJ has been healthy his entire career and Patton's been hurt.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#716 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:14 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

At the time Patton was drafted, he had just turned 20. Looking back on the draft, there wasn't really any decent wings available other than OJ, who was coming back from a bad knee injury. Ironically, OJ has been healthy his entire career and Patton's been hurt.

Sure, but I'd think you'd trade the pick vs drafting a backup to a young franchise center. This is why I don't think he was drafted as a backup, could have even traded back with Patton and J.Allen centers on the board and some other bigs like DJ Wilson, Swanigan, J.Bell, I.Rabb or even T.Bradley. Kuzman was still on the board at that time too, there was still lots of solid big talent to trade down and still get. At that high of a pick who's going to end up giving you a lot of minutes down the road with the impending multiple max contracts coming.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#717 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm honestly not too concerned about Patton through these injuries. The only thing I'd say is they may have capped his longterm upside somewhat. But I'm still very optimistic about his ability to contribute to the team as a role player.

People get way too caught up in the first round price tag, thinking that if a player doesn't become a starter it means he's a bust of a pick. Even if he was drafted to be a backup in his first few years, I don't care. That doesn't affect his longterm future to me. Guess what, anyone we drafted a year ago would've been a backup. And the first two years of a player doesn't define what he's going to be. Being a backup in the first few years doesn't mean someone is forever destined to be a backup. Yet that's how discussions around young players are too often framed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#718 » by vagelis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:56 am

He seems very talented and I see him as a starter if he gets healthy and works well.
The guy is 7'1, he has smooth handles, he can shoot, he can run the floor and seems that he knows the game.
The only little flaw that I see to Patton is maybe his vertical jumping ability and maybe his strength if he will play at the center position. His game seems to suit better for pf-sf but his height tells center. I think it is not clear what his position is.
I hope he gets healthy and he will work hard in order to become as good as he can.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#719 » by wolves_89 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 am

I really like Patton's skill set, I'm just frustrated that he's lost all the development time during his first two off-seasons. Without the missed time I think he could have been in the mix for a rotation spot this season, but as it is he's going to be the 5th big and will probably spend time in the G-league again. I would say that Patton will get a chance at some point this year due to injuries, but Towns and Dieng have missed a combined 3 games over the last 3 years.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#720 » by Grubie024 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Best case scenario- Patton is a legit starting Center who can protect the rim and has a wide skill set. His previous injuries delayed his development to the point he signs a low price contract and, as he develops, he soundly outperforms the contract.

It looks like he's got all the tools and a great feel for the game (although let's see how his feel for the game looks against legit NBA competition). His dad was a beast so I see no issue with him putting on size and being able to carry that size.

He could pan out to be a homerun pick, perfect fit and take away the sting of Markannen killing it for the Bulls.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves