Convince Me Otherwise

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 558

Re: Convince Me Otherwise 

Post#141 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Midw35t wrote:
prefuse73 wrote:Let's flip the script and you tell me your plan with no Butler trade and convince me.

Either way this is the last offseason we will have cap. Lavine and Wiggins extension then KAT next year. So we would have what about 30M in cap to spend on one max free agent and a second tier guy.

Tell me who you draft and who you sign that will put us in a position to be a championship in 5 years after GS is done.

First exercise (assuming a viable trade)

I'll remove RFAs here.

First I trade 7 and Filler or future 2nd(s) with Portland for 15, 20, and 26/Harkless/Aminu.

Assuming we get only the picks.

I'd go with John Collins at 15 (I do like Patton as well). 20 is OG. 26 is Jordan Bell.

Still 28mill to spend. I'm not a cap guru, could be more after renouncing bazz, hill, rush, and if we get medical retirement for pek.
Sign: Sign PJ Tucker and LRMaM for 10-12 mil per. Sign Casspi for 3 mil per. Sign rush 3 mil per.

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LaVine/Wiggins/Tucker/Rush
Wiggins/Tucker/Casspi/Rush
LRMaM/Dieng/Belly/Casspi
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

10 man: Rubio, LaVine, Wiggins, LRMaM, Towns, Dieng, Dunn, Tucker, Belly, Casspi/Rush

Bell, OG, and Collins start on our new dleague team. Called up when/if necessary.

Second exercise:

Assuming we sit at 7 and can net RFAs.

Draft: Zach Collins
Sign: Ingles 14 mil per and Green 16 mil per. Rush on vet or mle

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LaVine/Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Wiggins/Ingles/Rush
Green/Dieng/Ingles
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Dieng staggers our 3 big men, Ingles helps stagger Wiggins/LaVine.

Collins plays on d-league.

Still prefer Butler 100% :D
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#142 » by shrink » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 pm

MN7725 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
shrink wrote:This is why I almost didn't even do this challenge.

People are perfectly fine allowing others to say flat out that wiggins is a future hall of famer, and decide that is a fact that supports one side. However, even with supported reasoning, Hayward is dismissed without a word.

You tell me. Where does Hayward choose to go if he wants to compete for a ring in the next four years of his deal?

Either Boston or Utah seem more obvious since they are already playoff teams with great youth. I don't know if Wiggins is a HOF, but that will be decided over multiple years. Hayward signing here as a free agent is a decision thats right in front of us and looks very unlikely.
If you don't think Wiggins will be great, then we either should have not traded for Butler so we could keep drafting high, or we should trade him right now for George or whatever we think can help us win right now.
With Towns I think you're fine either way. You can keep building around him or you can try and win right now with idea he should be able to carry us in the future.

They couldn't even get meetings with top FAs like Horford last offseason when they had the exact same pitch for FAs they do now
Respected coach, core with potential

Then they went and won 2 more games

Nothing has changed which is why all the local reporters like krawczynski kept saying Wolves would have to overpay for even mid-tier FAs

Butler changes the conversation this offseason

The offseason when they actually have some cap space, it wouldn't have mattered if there were was great internal development in '17-'18 and the team makes a jump.

There wouldn't have been any cap space to sign a significant FA, it's gone as soon as Wiggins signs an extension this fall. That would have happened regardless of Butler

1. As wiser people have said than me, "We don't know what motivates a player until his second free agent deal." Does he chase money? Does he Not want to uproot his family? Does he want to play with a certain player, or for a certain coach? Does he love a different city? Does he want to go for a ring?" Hayward is not Butler.

2. I also don't think it's the same situation. Thibs had just gotten there, and no culture was established. More importantly, Horford's 4 year deal starts a year earlier, so only the last year was a shot at GSW, versus two years for Hayward. Finally, last year Horford might have thought BOS would turn some of their future assets into current win-now pieces. Hayward has had the opportunity to see Ainge do the opposite, trading down the #1 for a future asset, and refusing to include Brown in an offer for Jimmy Butler.

3. I like that Jimmy might help us attract better free agents. But no one knows anything about what Hayward is after in free agency, and now that we won't know if we could have gotten him, or gotten him without Butler.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#143 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Midw35t wrote:
prefuse73 wrote:Let's flip the script and you tell me your plan with no Butler trade and convince me.

Either way this is the last offseason we will have cap. Lavine and Wiggins extension then KAT next year. So we would have what about 30M in cap to spend on one max free agent and a second tier guy.

Tell me who you draft and who you sign that will put us in a position to be a championship in 5 years after GS is done.

I'll remove RFAs here.

First I trade 7 and Filler or future 2nd(s) with Portland for 15, 20, and 26/Harkless/Aminu.

I'd go with John Collins at 15 (I do like Patton as well). 20 is OG. 26 is Jordan Bell.

Still 28mill to spend. I'm not a cap guru, could be more after renouncing bazz, hill, rush, and if we get medical retirement for pek.
Sign: Sign PJ Tucker and LRMaM for 10-12 mil per. Sign Casspi for 3 mil per. Sign rush 3 mil per.

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LRMaM/Dieng/Belly/Casspi
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

10 man: Rubio, LaVine, Wiggins, LRMaM, Towns, Dieng, Dunn, Tucker, Belly, Casspi/Rush

Bell, OG, and Collins start on our new dleague team. Called up when/if necessary.

Second exercise:

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LaVine/Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Wiggins/Ingles/Rush
Green/Dieng/Ingles
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Both of those solutions sound bad for now and the future compared to having Butler.
If we want Green it sounds like we can have him now along with Butler.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#144 » by TheProdigy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:43 am

Midw35t wrote:

I'll remove RFAs here.

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LRMaM/Dieng/Belly/Casspi
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Second exercise:

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LaVine/Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Wiggins/Ingles/Rush
Green/Dieng/Ingles
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Woof.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#145 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 am

Midw35t wrote:

I'll remove RFAs here.

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LRMaM/Dieng/Belly/Casspi
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Second exercise:

Rubio/Dunn/Tyus
LaVine/Wiggins/Dunn/Rush
Wiggins/Ingles/Rush
Green/Dieng/Ingles
Towns/Dieng/Aldrich

Yea, I dont think Thibs brings pizzas to the sales team yesterday with that off season. Probably ramen noodles and water

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves