ImageImageImage

What we should do with Shabazz Muhammad now?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Re: What we should do with Shabazz Muhammad now? 

Post#81 » by shrink » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:34 pm

"Scorelord" :lol:
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#82 » by Jammer » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:55 am

The reality of the situation is that the Wolves waived Shabazz' Bird Rights to sign Jeff Teague and Taj Gibson,
used their MLE on Jamal Crawford,
and can only offer the 4 year veteran minimum of $1,577,230 for one year with an optional second year of $1,709,538.
I'm sure that $1,577,230 is on the table awaiting signature.

Unfortunately there are teams that could really use a backup small forward that can offer more money or more playing time:

Atlanta has about $6.1 million of cap space and the Room MLE of $4.328 Million with 14 guaranteed contracts
Dallas could use a backup SF but Dallas has to re-sign RFA C Nerlens Noel. Dallas can offer $8.4 Million MLE or $3.29M bi-annual
Denver could use a backup SF but has 14 guys under contract, with PF Mason Plumlee still an unsigned RFA

Chicago needs help, and has $17.4 million of cap space and RFA stretch PF Nikola Mirotic still unsigned
Detroit could use a backup SF but they are over the cap and can only offer minimum.
New Orleans has one roster spot open and can only offer minimum but may have more playing time.

Brooklyn has one roster spot available, with 7 million of cap space and the room MLE, but they don't really need a backup SF
Charlotte doesn't really need a backup SF but they have the $3.29 million bi-annual exception
Indiana has $7.5 Million in cap space but I don't think they'd be interested in Shabazz
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#83 » by karch34 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:07 am

SaintS wrote:I think that Shabazz finally'll sign in China.
he's a Mike Beasly type of player. Can be good or sometimes great in offence but D is really bad.

I think it's a lot more money potentially, but depends on if the player wants to leave the NBA lifestyle. I would like to have Shabazz come back even if it was on a one year bet on yourself deal.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#84 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:06 pm

A guess, he'll end up in New Orleans or Minnesota if in the nba

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,354

Post#85 » by Calinks » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:16 am

Id like to see Brooklyn get him lots of oppurtunity
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#86 » by King Malta » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:22 am

Man, this is some kind of tailspin for Bazz.

He's just such a weird player though, which can't be helping his value. He's a microwave scorer, but not really a shooter. Doesn't really defend and has severe tunnel vision when he gets the ball. He's just not the kind of guy you'd be looking to fill out your wing depth with when you've got 3 & D guys on the market IMO, especially if they could theoretically come cheaper.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#87 » by Jammer » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:36 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:A guess, he'll end up in New Orleans or Minnesota if in the nba

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

As you have already pointed out, there is a scenario where Shabazz could come back to the Wolves for minimum since some of the other teams may be so crappy it won't be any fun to play there. New Orleans, as you already mentioned, may be the biggest threat.

New Orleans has 14 guys under contract plus TWO Two-Way contract players. New Orleans can only offer minimum, like the Wolves, but may be able to offer more time at SF.

The Knicks can also only offer minimum, but may be able to offer more time on a crappy team.

Dallas could use a backup SF but Dallas has to re-sign RFA C Nerlens Noel. Dallas can offer $8.4 Million MLE or $3.29M bi-annual
Denver could use a backup SF but has 14 guys under contract, with PF Mason Plumlee still an unsigned RFA

Chicago needs help, and has $17.4 million of cap space and RFA stretch PF Nikola Mirotic still unsigned
Detroit could use a backup SF but they are over the cap and can only offer minimum.

So as long as Dallas doesn't throw money at him, and as long as Chicago doesn't throw money at him, his choices are pretty much at minimum. Minnesota might be the most fun, especially if his Wolves teammates don't bust his chops too much over what his agent (LeBron's agent) Rich Paul may have been asking versus what the situation has turned out to be.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#88 » by shrink » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:09 pm

Good post. MIN can't offer him money, but we can offer him playing time, on one of the most-watched teams next season.

I would never have thought so two months ago, but maybe that's enough? He needs to be playing for his next contract now. With starter spots gone on almost every team, at least he'd know here that we don't have a bench, and he'd get to show off this season a little. I think it would be very hard to swallow your pride though and return on the minimum.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#89 » by Calinks » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:17 pm

Man crappy market for him right now. Still seems like someone should be able to get him ample PT. Even here I think he would be a bit limited as Crawford is going to be the 6th man. I don't know if we would be the best choice money being even but then again, with us there is familiarity, ties, consistency of coaching so maybe. I would be happy to bring him back and hopefully he has that three ball going better. He has one full season of consistent three ball and scoring+ improved defense and I have to believe he would be in line for a nice payday in 2018-2019.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#90 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:42 pm

Wow. He had a QO on the table and he didn't sign it? Was this recently? I thought they withdrew that last season?

He should fire his agent, but then again, maybe he was the one holding out for more. Wouldn't surprise me, he's always been a me me me guy.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#91 » by Worm Guts » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:48 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Wow. He had a QO on the table and he didn't sign it? Was this recently? I thought they withdrew that last season?

He should fire his agent, but then again, maybe he was the one holding out for more. Wouldn't surprise me, he's always been a me me me guy.

Qualifying offers aren't made until the end of the season, and I don't blame him for not signing that, players usually don't. We rescinded the offer once we needed the cap space.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#92 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:09 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Wow. He had a QO on the table and he didn't sign it? Was this recently? I thought they withdrew that last season?

Qualifying offers aren't made until the end of the season, and I don't blame him for not signing that, players usually don't. We rescinded the offer once we needed the cap space.

Okay, but what was his QO? Does he think he will make more? Can he?
Risky move, but then again, I don't pay attention to pay. I'm not the one paying out $$$$.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#93 » by Worm Guts » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:16 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Okay, but what was his QO? Does he think he will make more? Can he?
Risky move, but then again, I don't pay attention to pay. I'm not the one paying out $$$$.

1 year, 4.1 million from what I can find. I can't blame him for thinking he could have got more than that, at the very least more than that over the length of a deal.
And if the Wolves the thought he was going to sign it right away, they may have never offered it.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#94 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:53 pm

I kind of get the feeling that Shabazz saw Gorgui get extended and thought he would receive a similar offer from the Wolves. The 2016 FA has really thrown everything for a loop this FA.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#95 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:06 pm

Apparently, the wolves are talking to him and his agent.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#96 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:22 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Apparently, the wolves are talking to him and his agent.

Personally, I hope we sign Shabazz to a 1-year "prove it" deal. That would help solidify our bench:

C KAT/Cole Aldrich/Justin Patton
PF Taj Gibson/Gorgui Dieng/Belly
SF Jimmy Butler/Shabazz Muhammad/Anthony Brown
SG Andrew Wiggins/Jamal Crawford/Michael Jordan
PG Jeff Teague/Tyus Jones/Melo Trimble
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#97 » by Calinks » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:35 pm

I'd be pretty happy if we got Bazz back but not sure he could handle a limited role. It would be a challenge but there may be enough scoring need from the bench where he would still get some shots. Either way I would feel a lot more comfortable with some SF depth. Production wise I like what Bazz could do there, if we get corner 3 Bazz that's a great addition.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#98 » by Mattya » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:07 pm

Can you share the source please. I couldn't find anything.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#99 » by Worm Guts » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:09 pm

Calinks wrote:I'd be pretty happy if we got Bazz back but not sure he could handle a limited role.

If he's forced to take a minimum offer from us, he obviously doesn't have much of a choice.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#100 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:14 pm

Mattya wrote:

Can you share the source please. I couldn't find anything.

Just read it on another forum, something was mentioned during the season ticket holders function.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves