jimmy is awesome. do whatever it takes to keep him
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,163

Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#442 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:An extension doesn't have to be for the max, does it? I mean dollars, not years....

Are you listening to the same podcast as me, Danny LaRouix?

No, it doesn't have to be for the max, but I think since Jimmy missed out on the big jump in the price max deals, and his rookie scale was cheap too, that he will demand the max simply as a sign of respect. I think we should pay it too. Maybe he'd accept a team option on the last year, but I bet he gets full max unless the surgery goes awfully well.

I honestly don't care about the team option. Give him the full years guaranteed, if he'll take even a slight discounted price.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,137

Post#443 » by AirP. » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Re: RE: Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#444 » by minimus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:26 am

Calinks wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This better not be removal surgery. Jimmy don't rush ****! Take every precaution!

Yes, agree. No need to rush. I dont know developed medical procedure now, but Wade said many times that he should not have cleaned his meniscus in the beginning of his career.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#445 » by AI_Efficiency » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Sixers fan here. My understanding of Embiid’s injury last year was that he had surgery to repair his meniscus. He looks basically like the same guy this year, so this doesn’t look like an injury that should have any long term effect.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Re: RE: Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#446 » by Mech Engineer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

minimus wrote:
Calinks wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This better not be removal surgery. Jimmy don't rush ****! Take every precaution!

Yes, agree. No need to rush. I dont know developed medical procedure now, but Wade said many times that he should not have cleaned his meniscus in the beginning of his career.

From what I remember about Rose and his meniscus...he had it torn 2 times. They repaired it once and snipped the other time. I think the repair was not successful or if it is torn at the wrong place, they just cannot repair it. That's what they told after Derrick's meniscus surgery.

You are right about Wade's comments and maybe it could have been repaired but it was a long time ago. The bad part about Wade is that it came back to bite him at crucial times in playoffs and he was lucky LeBron was carrying the team.

There is a point when the meniscus tear snipped guys have to take off games and that seems to be an unknown in terms of who and how. I think even CP3 also had this problem.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#447 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

it was quicker to drive down to Rochester, have a successful surgery & send a press release...than it was to tell us the news about the severity of the injury
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#448 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:it was quicker to drive down to Rochester, have a successful surgery & send a press release...than it was to tell us the news about the severity of the injury

Did you miss the part about the team not getting back to town until after noon yesterday? Did you think they have MRI capabilities on the team plane?
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#449 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 am

Klomp wrote:
D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:it was quicker to drive down to Rochester, have a successful surgery & send a press release...than it was to tell us the news about the severity of the injury

Did you miss the part about the team not getting back to town until after noon yesterday? Did you think they have MRI capabilities on the team plane?

Jon K knew the results before the news of the plane came out soo...
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#450 » by chrispatrick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 am

Calinks wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It would definitely be a removal. Repair has a significantly longer recovery time.

That being said, we have no way of knowing how much was removed (could be minor) or if repair was an option (it more often isn't and generally only works in the areas that get better blood flow).
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#451 » by chrispatrick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:Sixers fan here. My understanding of Embiid’s injury last year was that he had surgery to repair his meniscus. He looks basically like the same guy this year, so this doesn’t look like an injury that should have any long term effect.

The range of possible outcomes is much wider because a meniscus removal/trim could be small, large, or in one location vs. another.

Like Embiid, most people will come back looking like the same guy, but lose too much and some people can have problems.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 am

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Jon K knew the results before the news of the plane came out soo...

LOL....

Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#453 » by Murphs56 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:10 am

Thibs doesn't give anything away when it comes to injuries. He keeps the injury itself extremely vague (Meniscal injury) and always uses out indefinitely instead of some sort of timetable.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,352

Post#454 » by walk with me » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Jimmy didn’t have an option between removal/repair..... Lots of guys have had decent careers with removals. Blake, cp3, wade. Probably many others from previous eras as well.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,137

Post#455 » by AirP. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I hadn't seen this before...

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,651

Post#456 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 am

So he didn't get a removal he had some other kind of surgery?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am

Calinks wrote:So he didn't get a removal he had some other kind of surgery?

According to Jonny Athletic....

In the immediate aftermath of the injury announcement, it appeared that Butler would be faced with a similar dilemma as former Wolves forward Chase Budinger and former Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, two of countless athletes who have dealt with meniscus injuries.

Both Budinger and Peterson were given a choice. First, repair the meniscus for the best chance to come back from the injury and not face some debilitating issues down the road, but spend three to six months in rehab before being able to return to play.

Or they could choose to have the meniscus removed, a procedure that increases the chances for arthritis and other long-term issues with the knee, but also has a much shorter recovery period that generally lasts about six weeks.

Budinger and Peterson each chose to repair their injuries with an eye toward the future.

But Butler’s procedure was neither a major repair nor a removal, and the hope is he will be able to return to action without facing some of the long-term risks involved with removing it. Exactly how he will respond to the surgery, both in the short and long term, remains to be seen. Different athletes react to any medical procedure in their own unique ways, which is why the Timberwolves have been cautious in the information they release about it.

https://theathletic.com/253735/2018/02/25/jimmy-butler-has-knee-surgery-hopes-to-return-to-timberwolves-this-season/

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Post#458 » by life_saver » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm

I think even with Jimmy out, our offense is going to be fine...it's the defense which is gonna suffer when we are without Jimmy
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,651

Post#459 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Klomp wrote:

In the immediate aftermath of the injury announcement, it appeared that Butler would be faced with a similar dilemma as former Wolves forward Chase Budinger and former Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, two of countless athletes who have dealt with meniscus injuries.

Both Budinger and Peterson were given a choice. First, repair the meniscus for the best chance to come back from the injury and not face some debilitating issues down the road, but spend three to six months in rehab before being able to return to play.

Or they could choose to have the meniscus removed, a procedure that increases the chances for arthritis and other long-term issues with the knee, but also has a much shorter recovery period that generally lasts about six weeks.

Budinger and Peterson each chose to repair their injuries with an eye toward the future.

But Butler’s procedure was neither a major repair nor a removal, and the hope is he will be able to return to action without facing some of the long-term risks involved with removing it. Exactly how he will respond to the surgery, both in the short and long term, remains to be seen. Different athletes react to any medical procedure in their own unique ways, which is why the Timberwolves have been cautious in the information they release about it.

https://theathletic.com/253735/2018/02/25/jimmy-butler-has-knee-surgery-hopes-to-return-to-timberwolves-this-season/

Hmm. Well I really hope he does what's best for himself. Whatever the case, take as much time as needed. If we make the playoffs and get smoked without Butler I am fine with that if his long term outlook is better. I really don't think we will do much in the playoffs even with him but a first round win is possible with Jimmy and that in itself would be huge for us.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,716

Post#460 » by Basti » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Hmm. Well I really hope he does what's best for himself. Whatever the case, take as much time as needed. If we make the playoffs and get smoked without Butler I am fine with that if his long term outlook is better. I really don't think we will do much in the playoffs even with him but a first round win is possible with Jimmy and that in itself would be huge for us.

I think we need to be realistic. Getting to the playoffs is the realistic, yet somewhat optimistic goal for now. And because it's highly likely we won't be having homecourt advantage, a 1st round win seems far fetched. Even if Jimmy rushes his return. Which I am completely against, by the way. There's very little to gain from it this season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves