ImageImageImage

Are there any playoffs doubts?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

bringWallyBack
Junior
And1: 310

Are there any playoffs doubts? 

Post#1 » by bringWallyBack » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 pm

I mean, it should be an expectation, right?

I have the thought that they'll make it to the second round.

I watched a segment on nbatv where the question was brought up to two people and one answered 'no'. It was almost an insult. I wasn't able to hear their reasoning because the tv was on mute but I wonder if anyone has any doubts about the wolves making the playoffs.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Are there any playoffs doubts? 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 am

Our talent level last year should have made the playoffs easy, but since they were all kids they didn't know how to win in the clutch.
Not only does Jimmy bring immense talent he also brings clutch ability and leadership. The Wolves will be in contention for a top four seed.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#3 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 am

If we trade Rubio for peanuts, then I'll have my doubts.

That said, trading Lavine and Dunn was probably addition by subtraction in the W-L column before you even consider what kind of impact Butler will have.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,225

Post#4 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 am

As the roster stands I have my doubts. I say its about 50/50 I don think we are getting a top 4 seed. More like battle for bottom 3. My current prediction is about 43 wins.

Outside shooting is still a big glaring weakness
Team defense could still be mediocre, not sure Butler makes us instantly a good defensive team
Bench depth is lacking. If Butler, Wiggs, Towns are not all playing well don't know if we have the firepower to stay in games
Chemisty. Have to get used to a new star, young guys are still young and will probably mess up a lot

I really don't see us as a shoe in for the post season at all. Think we need to make some free agent moves to shore the depth up. Also one of the big 3 could get hurt for an extended period of time and that would be a disaster. Butler is a massive help and pushes us right there but the majority of our core is still young guys and you can just never trust/rely on them in the NBA. We add some nice bench pieces and I will go from 50/50 to 70/30 range.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#5 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 am

if everyone stayed at there team
hayward stays in utah
paul and griffin with the clippers
lakers should be better with brook lopez and there new pg
i think we are good for another 8-10 wins with butler is 41-42 wins good enough for 8th seed? probley not
in saying that if players leave and we get a bench we can only get better
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#6 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:43 am

Calinks wrote:As the roster stands I have my doubts. I say its about 50/50 I don think we are getting a top 4 seed. More like battle for bottom 3. My current prediction is about 43 wins.

Team defense could still be mediocre, not sure Butler makes us instantly a good defensive team
Bench depth is lacking. If Butler, Wiggs, Towns are not all playing well don't know if we have the firepower to stay in games
Chemisty. Have to get used to a new star, young guys are still young and will probably mess up a lot

I really don't see us as a shoe in for the post season at all. Think we need to make some free agent moves to shore the depth up. Also one of the big 3 could get hurt for an extended period of time and that would be a disaster. Butler is a massive help and pushes us right there but the majority of our core is still young guys and you can just never trust/rely on them in the NBA. We add some nice bench pieces and I will go from 50/50 to 70/30 range.

Our young guys are not that young anymore as far as experience. They have played a lot of games and a lot of minutes. Butler is the missing link.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#7 » by breatnach » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 am

I'm definitely expecting the playoffs. You don't have to be the best team in the NBA to make the playoffs, just one of the Top 16, which we should be. The West usually is a bit tougher than the east, but I still think we can beat out Memphis (age) and OKC (fatigue). Westbrook probably doesn't have quite the chip on his shoulder as last year and if he ever goes down they become an instant lottery team.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#8 » by theGreatRC » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 am

breatnach wrote:I'm definitely expecting the playoffs. You don't have to be the best team in the NBA to make the playoffs, just one of the Top 16, which we should be. The West usually is a bit tougher than the east, but I still think we can beat out Memphis (age) and OKC (fatigue). Westbrook probably doesn't have quite the chip on his shoulder as last year and if he ever goes down they become an instant lottery team.

I'm expecting the playoffs under the assumption that CP3 leaves LAC & Gordon Hayward leaves UTA.

Both those teams move down, us and maybe the Pelicans or Nuggets move up.

Of course, we'll see what happens next week once we hit free agency
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#9 » by Basti » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Like I said on draft day, barring any major injury (as in 10+ missed games by major contributors) playoffs are a must. There are no more excuses.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#10 » by Swish4 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Yeah CP3 going to Houston opens up another playoff spot
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#11 » by theGreatRC » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Swish4 wrote:Yeah CP3 going to Houston opens up another playoff spot

Looks like two playoffs spots will open up if Gordon Hayward leaves & it's looking like George Hill will strongly consider the Spurs.

Clippers are toast
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#12 » by Mattya » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:43 pm

No particular order in the groups
Tier 1
Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

Tier 2
Grizzlies(Could slip a little depending on FA, but their main core is intact)
Wolves
Jazz(Could drop big time if Hayward leaves, will drop some if Hill leaves)
Thunder(I think they are solidly in this group unless they make a big trade for someone like Milsap)
Blazers(Again would need to make a good trade)

Tier 3
Nuggets(Move up if they can trade for Love or Milsap)
Clippers
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#13 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Calinks wrote:As the roster stands I have my doubts. I say its about 50/50 I don think we are getting a top 4 seed. More like battle for bottom 3. My current prediction is about 43 wins.

Pretty much what I think.

Also thought they would make it last year. However, I think we are not done yet, and with a few "playable" vets, we should be about a 6th-8th IMO. Thibs only plays 8 man rotations, so we just need quality depth. Bazz should now be in play, as long as his agent doesn't get greedy.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#14 » by shangrila » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 pm

It all depends on how much the team, and specifically Wiggins and Towns, improve on defence.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,225

Post#15 » by Calinks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Mattya wrote:No particular order in the groups
Tier 1
Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

Tier 2
Wolves
Thunder(I think they are solidly in this group unless they make a big trade for someone like Milsap)

Tier 3
Clippers

Agree with this mostly. I would say the Grizz, Jazz, Thunder, are all above us though currently as they are proven good teams with way more experience. We are probably in the same tier as Blazers, Nuggets, and Clippers. Clippers have obviously dropped but depending on what they do from here they could be a good team again. Nuggets are always a pain and will make a push, Murray could blow up. Blazers really turned it up at the end of last season and could be better than us this season pretty easily. I will also throw the Pelicans into the mix. They have a full off-season to gel and rework their play style, they could put together a good season.

I see us battling with those bottom 3-6 teams for a bottom 3 playoff spot. I think its about 50/50 we get one of those three. Odds are a bit better if the Clippers really fall off.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#16 » by Mattya » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Calinks wrote:
Tier 1
Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

Tier 2
Wolves

Tier 3
Clippers

Agree with this mostly. I would say the Grizz, Jazz, Thunder, are all above us though currently as they are proven good teams with way more experience. We are probably in the same tier as Blazers, Nuggets, and Clippers. Clippers have obviously dropped but depending on what they do from here they could be a good team again. Nuggets are always a pain and will make a push, Murray could blow up. Blazers really turned it up at the end of last season and could be better than us this season pretty easily. I will also throw the Pelicans into the mix. They have a full off-season to gel and rework their play style, they could put together a good season.

I see us battling with those bottom 3-6 teams for a bottom 3 playoff spot. I think its about 50/50 we get one of those three. Odds are a bit better if the Clippers really fall off.

Idk about the Thunder, they have some pretty serious scoring issues. Jazz are good, and if they bring everyone back they look like a solid home court team. Grizzlies maybe, but they could also lose some quality free agent role players, and they always seem to have injury issues. Portland played better with Nurkic, but is Nurkic going to be healthy? He only played 62 games his rookie season, 30 his sophomore season, and 65 last season(with also would include missing playoff games). I did forget about the Pelicans, they are a potential team to compete with as well.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#17 » by jfg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm

I know it's the way of the current NBA, but I have to say that if the Wolves create a superteam through trades and FA it will feel a little cheap. GS winning their first championship seemed organic, this years felt wrong. It's going to be awesome to see the Wolves as a contender again, and I'm fully on board with them doing everything to win but something's got to give with how these teams are built now. I'm hoping that Silver can fix this and the Wolves can win some championships before he does.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#18 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 pm

If Hayward leaves Utah, the Jazz have no chance. Even though the Clippers got 18 players in return for CP3, they're obviously weakened, but could still possibly fight for one of the final 5 spots. I obviously wanna see what happens in free agency b/c with the rumors out there, the Butler trade could just be the tip of the iceberg. But I'm saying right now we're looking at a 6-7 seed.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#19 » by Note30 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Tier 1
Warriors
Spurs
Rockets

Tier 2
Wolves

Tier 3
Clippers

Grizzlies are about to lose Allen and Randolph, their best bench players was a 40 year old Vince Carter. They are toast too.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves