Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,890

Re: We need shooting. Who do we get? 

Post#201 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:48 am

KGdaBom wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:For those who wanted us to keep the pick you got your wish. If we exercise it next year odds are the player will end up being worthless, but there is a chance of the player we pick being useful. We will have more opportunities to trade the pick and if we do that it is almost guaranteed to bring us a useful asset.

I'm very glad we didn't trade the 1st for Miles. Picks are very valuable with how the cap is set up now. Getting a guy with team control for so long helps when you hit on a pick. You'll see teams at the deadline willing to sell players to a team pushing for the postseason and that pick with Aldrich's partial guarantee will be valuable.

The bolded part is the big question. It isn't a lottery ticket. More like a raffle ticket. You have a chance to win, but not a very good one.

But I like that Thibs/Layden seem to place value on keeping picks. Maybe it's more now because of the ATL pick, but it's still good to see.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,719

Post#202 » by minimus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 am

Considering our situation I'd still trade Aldrich + OKC pick for Miles on that contract. I.e. invest everything in current group, and this group needs a proven shooter badly. Maybe Thibs is confident that he can get a shooter without trading out pick.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#203 » by TheProdigy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm

minimus wrote:Considering our situation I'd still trade Aldrich + OKC pick for Miles on that contract. I.e. invest everything in current group, and this group needs a proven shooter badly. Maybe Thibs is confident that he can get a shooter without trading out pick.

We should have been able to acquire Miles without trading the OKC pick. To me, the most disappointing thing about this offseason was overpaying Gibson. If we would have offered Gibson 2/$26 rather than 2/$28, then we would have had enough cap space to sign Miles outright by stretching Aldrich's contract. We would have had the room exception to use on Crawford too...

I still view this offseason as a massive success, but we have good reason to be concerned about the 3 pt shooting with this roster.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#204 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:38 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
minimus wrote:Considering our situation I'd still trade Aldrich + OKC pick for Miles on that contract. I.e. invest everything in current group, and this group needs a proven shooter badly. Maybe Thibs is confident that he can get a shooter without trading out pick.

We should have been able to acquire Miles without trading the OKC pick. To me, the most disappointing thing about this offseason was overpaying Gibson. If we would have offered Gibson 2/$26 rather than 2/$28, then we would have had enough cap space to sign Miles outright by stretching Aldrich's contract. We would have had the room exception to use on Crawford too...

I still view this offseason as a massive success, but we have good reason to be concerned about the 3 pt shooting with this roster.

Is there anybody still out there that you believe would be worth stretching Aldrich to get? I still don't understand stretching honestly. You get to defer their salary and stretch it over 5 years or something like that? Do you get to keep the player when you stretch him? Does he eventually come back to his original shape like Gumby or Stretch Armstrong?
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,177

Post#205 » by Tukkerwolf » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Blegh. Stretching is the worse.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#206 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:Blegh. Stretching is the worse.

I never stretch before exercise.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#207 » by TheProdigy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:

Is there anybody still out there that you believe would be worth stretching Aldrich to get? I still don't understand stretching honestly. You get to defer their salary and stretch it over 5 years or something like that? Do you get to keep the player when you stretch him? Does he eventually come back to his original shape like Gumby or Stretch Armstrong?

At this point, it's probably pointless to stretch Aldrich. The point I was trying to make is that we could have gotten both Miles and Crawford if we would have paid Gibson $1-$2 million less per year, and stretched Aldrich's contract.

Yes the salary gets prorated over multiple years, so the Aldrich contract would only amount to about $2m this year.
minimus
RealGM

Post#208 » by minimus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

So let it be Wayne Ellington and Rush

KAT/Dieng/Aldrich + Patton
Gibson/Dieng + Bjelica
Butler/Wiggins/Rush
Wiggins/Crawford/Ellington
Teague/Jones/Crawford
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#209 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

DaKidKG wrote:

Like you I think we overpaid Gibson. It would have been real nice to get Miles. He is a full sized SF which we need. Shoots 3s spectacularly and I have heard he Ds up pretty well. However with all the thinking that we are a crappy 3 point shooting team is that all 5 of our starters including Dieng shoot the 3 at above the league average. They just shoot low volume. We should be able to be a good 3 point shooting team with what we have already.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#210 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:We should have been able to acquire Miles without trading the OKC pick. To me, the most disappointing thing about this offseason was overpaying Gibson. If we would have offered Gibson 2/$26 rather than 2/$28, then we would have had enough cap space to sign Miles outright by stretching Aldrich's contract. We would have had the room exception to use on Crawford too...

At this point, it's probably pointless to stretch Aldrich. The point I was trying to make is that we could have gotten both Miles and Crawford if we would have paid Gibson $1-$2 million less per year, and stretched Aldrich's contract.

Yes the salary gets prorated over multiple years, so the Aldrich contract would only amount to about $2m this year.

Do we have to release him and eat the salary to stretch him? Or do we get to keep him?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#211 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:We should have been able to acquire Miles without trading the OKC pick. To me, the most disappointing thing about this offseason was overpaying Gibson. If we would have offered Gibson 2/$26 rather than 2/$28, then we would have had enough cap space to sign Miles outright by stretching Aldrich's contract. We would have had the room exception to use on Crawford too...

It depends on if we have any cap space left. Even 1 or 2 million could be a relatively big difference in terms of getting someone we want versus whoever will take our minimum salary offer.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#212 » by TheProdigy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

minimus wrote:So let it be Wayne Ellington and Rush

Gibson/Dieng + Bjelica
Butler/Wiggins/Rush
Teague/Jones/Crawford

I think Ellington was retained by Miami. But I'm with you on Rush... Either him, Morrow, or Dunleavy.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#213 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

minimus wrote:So let it be Wayne Ellington and Rush

Gibson/Dieng + Bjelica
Butler/Wiggins/Rush
Teague/Jones/Crawford

Ellington I have heard reupped with Miami. Won't stake my life on it though.
minimus
RealGM

Post#214 » by minimus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Morrow was an awful defender. Maybe he has improved a bit since then. Dont mind him for vet min

As mentioned before this guy Troy Williams can be useful. High energy bench player

Gibson/Dieng/Williams + Bjelica
Butler/Williams/Rush
Wiggins/Crawford/Morrow
Teague/Jones/Crawford
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#215 » by Mattya » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Is Troy Williams actually a free agent? He would be a really nice bench energy player.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#216 » by Streakers33 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Bazz for league min.. not one rumor about him at all ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#217 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Streakers33 wrote:Bazz for league min.. not one rumor about him at all ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting that or did it happen. I would love to get him for that, but most feel it will take more.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#218 » by SBM » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Teague
Butler/Crawford
Wiggins
Taj/Dieng
KAT/Dieng

Crawford is not a PG. I question him running a team, even your 2nd unit. Still too much dead weight on this team. Need a guy that can play some backup SF and PG who can run a team.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#219 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:58 pm

SBM wrote:Teague
Butler/Crawford
Wiggins
Taj/Dieng
KAT/Dieng

Crawford is not a PG. I question him running a team, even your 2nd unit. Still too much dead weight on this team. Need a guy that can play some backup SF and PG who can run a team.

Crawford might not be a PG, but he certainly has some ball handling skills to do so in a pinch. Tyus Jones is a PG does have skills to run the second unit. His only problem is being overwhelmed by more athletic competition while on Defense.

Also why do people have Depth charts with Butler at the SG and Wiggins all 200 pounds of him at the SF. Please switch those around.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#220 » by SBM » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 pm

I dont agree with Crawford at PG, remember Clips had Raymond Felton playing that role. We need a backup PG that is proven and has better size than Teague and Jones. We need a SF also. My major point is to me shooting is not the overwhelming need here.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves