ImageImageImage

Big Game Hunting

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Screwy28
Freshman
And1: 11

Big Game Hunting 

Post#1 » by Screwy28 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:24 pm

It was believed that we would be big game hunting in this free agency period as it'll be our last year to be able to with Wiggins and Towns contracts coming up. With that being said we haven't landed any big fish and spent 14 million on Taj(for clarification I'm completely fine with because he's an excellent fit, knows the system, high energy guy, and can teach which i believe will be incredibly valuable the next couple years even if his play drops off). So I know a lot of people don't believe there are any more big fish that we could sign but knowing how competitive Thibs is and him also knowing how tough the west will be this year I gotta believe he is still looking to make a big move. How it'll be done I'm not sure but it's interesting to note how quiet free agency talk has gotten for us since the Taj signing besides offering Nick Young mle. I know a lot of reports made it out that we were in on Lowry and millsap but I just don't believe there was anything real there. They both wanted 30 million deals and obviously we couldn't offer that. I don't believe either talks got out of the preliminary stages. So what I want to do now is open this up for discussion about what kind of big fish could Thibs be going after? Could it be a player from Boston? Could it be a player none of us have even really discussed? I'm a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to my favorite sports teams which has killed me in the past but I refuse to believe Thibs is going to sit down and look at our bench and be fine with it
RIP Flip, you will be missed. You created the journey and now you get to sit back and watch it unfold from Heaven. Thanks for everything, you are a staple of what every person should strive to be.
Alwaysrightguy
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Big Game Hunting 

Post#2 » by Alwaysrightguy » Wed Jul 5, 2017 9:13 pm

We have
Karl
G
JB
Wiggz
Teague
Taj
Cole
Tyus
Belly
Still need to get a couple wing/guards to give JB and Wiggz a few breathers. I hope Tibbs has a plan because an injury at that position and forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Post#3 » by shrink » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:19 am

I think Thibs already did his big game hunting with his near max cap space, but the big game was too hard (expensive) to bring down.

Right now, I don't think we will be doing much big game hunting. In free agency, we only have the room exception for ($4.33 mil) and vet min deals to offer. In trade, our only real pieces are Cole Aldrich (and the ability to take on salary swapping him for a 2 year deal), and the late OKC 1st. We are too thin at the 1-3 to trade any of those guys, Teague and Taj can't be legally traded for several months. KAT will go nowhere, and Thibs probably loves Dieng more than anyone in the league. Bjelica is worth more to us that others. I don't see Patterson getting traded for a year, and the Stepien Rule prevents us from trading our own pick until 2020, so that's probably off the table too.

I look at it this way. Thibby Roosevelt would have loved to shoot a lion, but he was hungry (to not miss out on needed talent), so he couldn't afford to simply pass by a couple antelopes that would fill his belly.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,175

Post#4 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:04 pm

We added a 2015 all-star in free agency...
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#5 » by Foye » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:06 pm

Alwaysrightguy wrote:We have
Karl
G
JB
Wiggz
Teague
Taj
Cole
Tyus
Belly
Still need to get a couple wing/guards to give JB and Wiggz a few breathers. I hope Tibbs has a plan because an injury at that position and forget about it.

Things would be easy had we kept Lance last season.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:15 pm

Foye wrote:
Alwaysrightguy wrote:We have
Karl
G
JB
Wiggz
Teague
Taj
Cole
Tyus
Belly

Things would be easy had we kept Lance last season.

Would have needed to renounce him too, to make our other signings.
Alwaysrightguy
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#7 » by Alwaysrightguy » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:39 pm

Anybody have a guess as to when we will have our roster filled out? And no smartass answers of Oct please. Just wondering if there are deadlines for cuts, trades etc.

King Rube
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#8 » by King Rube » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:36 am

I feel like Thibs will cave on the Miles thing and give Indy what they want.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#9 » by prefuse73 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:44 am

Nah Miles is not THAT good to give up a 1st rounder. Plenty of vets who will probably settle into the vet min which will work. Butler and Wiggins proaably play 36mpg so we need to cover 12mpg at each position. If there is an injury, as with most teams, things go down hill fast.

We offer the 4.3M to our primary bench wing and then fill out with vets. Need likely 3 wings and a PG. I have mentioned before in other threads, but I am thinking something like Aaron Brooks (pg), Aaron Afflalo or Gerald Henderson (sg with our 4.3m), LRMAM (SF/PF), and round it out with either Gerald Green or perhaps bring Alan Anderson back home. I know it is nothing exciting but our bench would actually be much better than last year (not saying much) and full of vets.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Re: RE: Re: Big Game Hunting 

Post#10 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:05 am

King Rube wrote:I feel like Thibs will cave on the Miles thing and give Indy what they want.
I doubt it. With the Dallas/Miami trade the standard has been set and that is a second round pick. After that happened it both weakened how saleable Indy's position was in wanting a first and how likely the wolves would then do it.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
JDthrillinger
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#11 » by JDthrillinger » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:53 am

Trade ideas:
*Cole Aldrich & 2 2nds for Courtney Lee.
With NYK signing Hardaway to big money, they can get Lee's contract off the books for a sooner expiring Aldrich.

*OKC 1st for Jae Crowder. Utah trade reportedly fell through as they won't part with a 1st for Jae. This is where we step in, perfect fit for us.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Jul 7, 2017 5:23 am

JDthrillinger wrote:Trade ideas:
With NYK signing Hardaway to big money, they can get Lee's contract off the books for a sooner expiring Aldrich.

*OKC 1st for Jae Crowder. Utah trade reportedly fell through as they won't part with a 1st for Jae. This is where we step in, perfect fit for us.

I hate Courtney Lee's age and contract length.

We don't have the cap space to trade for Jae without sending out salary. Even if we could, I think some other team would outbid our offer of the OKC pick.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
JDthrillinger
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#13 » by JDthrillinger » Fri Jul 7, 2017 5:33 am

courtney lee fits our 2-3 year win now window, he's 31 and will be 34 when his contract expires. he shot 40% from 3 last year. He is at market value at 10 million. it's good that he's locked in for 3 years becuse going forward we will only have the room exception to use in free agency. he is a great candidate to play the 24 minutes per night that Wiggins & Butler sit.
Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#14 » by Oriole8159 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't think we should need to attach anything to Cole in a trade for Lee.
If we're to assume that the Knicks want to be a player next year in the big free agency fight, then we're actually doing them a favor by gifting them an expiring contract and taking on a guy with 2 additional years at over $10 million per year. If anything, they should be giving us a pick.

I would do straight up Aldrich for Lee though.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:48 pm

If we are taking Lee's contract back we should be getting incentive not giving it away in the form of 2 seconds. I don't even think I would take him for 2 seconds. That contract is not good.

Oriole8159
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Oriole8159 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:51 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:

If we are taking Lee's contract back we should be getting incentive not giving it away in the form of 2 seconds. I don't even think I would take him for 2 seconds. That contract is not good.

it's pretty much the same contract they were talking about giving CJ Miles anyway.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Big Game Hunting 

Post#17 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:59 pm

Oriole8159 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

it's pretty much the same contract they were talking about giving CJ Miles anyway.
That should tell you something.

Oriole8159
Sophomore

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Big Game Hunting 

Post#18 » by Oriole8159 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:08 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Oriole8159 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:If we are taking Lee's contract back we should be getting incentive not giving it away in the form of 2 seconds. I don't even think I would take him for 2 seconds. That contract is not good.

That should tell you something.

I didn't mean to imply that it was good or bad, just trying to keep in perspective.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves