ImageImageImage

Be Prepared for a "Short Rotation"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Be Prepared for a "Short Rotation" 

Post#1 » by Jammer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Anyone familiar with Tom Thibadeau's Chicago Tenure knows he plays a "short rotation." And doesn't believe in adding guys to a roster unless they have a "defined role" that everyone knows and understands.

Of the 11 players signed (Crawford is imminent), Thibs probably won't play more than these 11 even though Thibs, Frank Layden and the scouting staff are scouring the unsigned Free Agents, G-League and Las Vegas rosters for appropriate "minimum contract" additions at PG and wing.

Dieng essentially becomes Towns backup, although Dieng will probably continue to start. They badly need another wing, and prefereably 2 wings, willing to play for minimum, as well as probably a minimum contract PG for "insurance."

Estimated MPG
C: Towns 36, Dieng 12
PF: Dieng 16, Gibson 24, Bjelica 8
SF: Butler 36, Wiggins 12
SG: Wiggins 24, Crawford 24
PG: Teague 30, Jones 18

That's a 9 man rotation, which is typical Thibs.

Aldrich is extraneous, as we already know from the Wolves efforts to Sign & Trade him or Trade him. Still, Aldrich is an insurance "Big" in case anyone else has to miss a game.

Patton could be a gem, but there is no reason to rush him back. He will be in the weight room and undergoing conditioning.

So, in some way, there is no reason to "rush" getting depth, although the Wolves obviously need one more ball handler and two more three point shooters on the wing, for "insurance." However, if there is a game where Crawford's shot is not falling, and Thibs recognizes it (Say Crawford misses three in a row), having an "insurance 3 point shooter" on the bench can pay dividends since Thibs would have justification to give the kid a chance and see if he could hit some shots that day.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Re: Be Prepared for a "Short Rotation" 

Post#2 » by MN7725 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Idk, thibs didn't really have a short rotation during the first few years with Bulls when he had The Bench Mob
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#3 » by Swish4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:49 pm

It'll be a short bench for most games I suppose. But we really do need another reserve at the 3 spot to defend and take up a few minutes each game still.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm fine with a short rotation, but I think there's a problem when you're counting so heavily on a 37 year old to be your only backup wing. Maybe if Bjelica can give regular minutes at SF, but that seems like a question even without considering his injury situation.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,955

Post#5 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Crawford and whichever of Dieng/Gibson doesn't start will get the largest chunk of bench minutes. Bjelica, Jones, and the last wing signing will pick up whatever's left.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#6 » by Swish4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:59 pm

If Taj can guard some at the 3 that will help, I think can sometimes.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#7 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 am

MN7725 wrote:Idk, thibs didn't really have a short rotation during the first few years with Bulls when he had The Bench Mob

Good point. I think his options got limited when they had Rose, Deng, Boozer, and Noah making big $$$ IIRC. We will see for sure how short his rotation is, but I also look at some of the marginal talent he made serviceable and think that he might be a coach who just makes the most of what he has.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#8 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 am

We are very thin, a small to mid size injury especially to one of the starters will put us in a world of trouble in the competitive west. Hopefully the basketball gods protect us given we have paid our dues the last decade and a half. I'm very nervous though even given health with how good the west is. Hopefully this won't encourage Thibs to consistently play the big guns 35-40+ minutes too regularly.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#9 » by southern wolf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:We are very thin, a small to mid size injury especially to one of the starters will put us in a world of trouble in the competitive west. Hopefully the basketball gods protect us given we have paid our dues the last decade and a half. I'm very nervous though even given health with how good the west is. Hopefully this won't encourage Thibs to consistently play the big guns 35-40+ minutes too regularly.

Thibs has said he's still looking to sign two more wings and another PG. We'll have plenty of depth by the time training camp rolls around.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#10 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:06 am

southern wolf wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:We are very thin, a small to mid size injury especially to one of the starters will put us in a world of trouble in the competitive west. Hopefully the basketball gods protect us given we have paid our dues the last decade and a half. I'm very nervous though even given health with how good the west is. Hopefully this won't encourage Thibs to consistently play the big guns 35-40+ minutes too regularly.

Thibs has said he's still looking to sign two more wings and another PG. We'll have plenty of depth by the time training camp rolls around.

Barring an Aldridge or some other deal they are going to probably be minimum guys though so how effective and reliable they will be is questionable at best right?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 am

I'm just fine with 36 MPG for Towns, WIggins, Butler and possibly Teague. 30 or so for Dieng. I think that is how many minutes good players play. Anything above 36 is a bit questionable. I disagree that we are in a world of trouble if we have an injury. We should be able to stay afloat for a while losing one starter. If we lose two sure we are in a world of hurt.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#12 » by PharmD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

Barring an Aldridge or some other deal they are going to probably be minimum guys though so how effective and reliable they will be is questionable at best right?

Right. I'm sure there will literally be players on the roster but whether they will be an acceptable level of usefulness is pretty doubtful at this point.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#13 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:48 am

If Towns, Butler & Wiggins are playing minutes in the high 30s, we're going to win a lot of games.

I honestly think we need 1 of them on the court at all times, I still don't trust our bench.

I think Towns should be the go-to guy whenever he is on the floor, he's a matchup nightmare for anyone guarding him.

Butler should take the Lavine role; start second & fourth quarters with the second unit and be the #1 option. Jimmy has the shot creating ability and gets to the FT line to carry the bench offensively. Then during like the 7-8 minute mark of the 2nd & 4th, Wigg & Teague come in for Butler & whoever and then the starters come in with 4~ left to finish off the game.

That might sound confusing, but I think it'll be what happens once the season starts.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#14 » by southern wolf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:34 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

That's true. I guess the two guys with any major injury history in Rubio and Lavine are gone, but you never know. Our rookie is already injured.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#15 » by minimus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:06 pm

If we implement Thibs defense I would definitely expect more small injuries. At least for bigs. Because we need good screens, we need players to sacrifice their body. I expect perimeter players to fight through screens. It is not only about minutes or mileage. I would expect higher intensity. So would not go to this West blood bath with this short roster, but I'm okay if Thibs uses short rotation to create strong chemistry between veterans and young players.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm

southern wolf wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

That's true. I guess the two guys with any major injury history in Rubio and Lavine are gone, but you never know. Our rookie is already injured.

I'm sure we will have injuries. I guess the issue is whether we're OK playing these minimum guys, or we end up trying to extend the minutes of our regular rotation players as much as possible.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#17 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:Barring an Aldridge or some other deal they are going to probably be minimum guys though so how effective and reliable they will be is questionable at best right?

I'm sure we will have injuries. I guess the issue is whether we're OK playing these minimum guys, or we end up trying to extend the minutes of our regular rotation players as much as possible.

Each has there downsides certainly. If you play the regular guys extended minutes consistently there is a chance that more injuries will occur, the team could fade through fatigue through the latter parts of the season or of games. If the minimum guys aren't up to snuff then we risk blowing some games/leads and increasing the work load for the starters. All we really need is some super solid players who can be relied upon to compliment the starters and play their role. Hopefully we can pick some guys up like that and they won't be relied upon too much.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,955

Post#18 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:Barring an Aldridge or some other deal they are going to probably be minimum guys though so how effective and reliable they will be is questionable at best right?

Don't really have the space to deal for Aldridge
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#19 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Klomp wrote:

I think he meant Aldrich. I don't know why, but that seems to be a common mistake.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#20 » by TheProdigy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I think he meant Aldrich. I don't know why, but that seems to be a common mistake.

Misspelling "Aldrich" as "Aldridge" is contagious on this board for some reason.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves