Trade talk 2017-18

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,894

Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am

The other thread went over 100, so a good time to start a new one.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,590

Re: Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#2 » by shrink » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Bleacher Report speculation

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721373-how-will-carmelo-anthony-get-to-the-houston-rockets

Where will Anderson's services as a three-point sniper at power forward make basketball sense? The Minnesota Timberwolves could be the place. Head coach and team president Tom Thibodeau has spent the summer adding high-end talent, but the picture isn't complete.

As much as Jeff Teague can be a credible threat from three-point range—and as much as Jimmy Butler, Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins have stretched their shots—Minnesota's new trio could use someone with Anderson's range at power forward to open up the floor.

The Wolves already have two other quality bigs to play next to Towns in Gorgui Dieng and Taj Gibson. But Gibson, a Thibs favorite, only recently arrived in Minneapolis. With him on board, Dieng's skills as a rebounder, shot blocker and mid-range shooter are redundant.

Place Dieng next to Kristaps Porzingis in New York, and the Knicks' frontcourt might have something cooking—especially with the 27-year-old Dieng locked into a four-year, $62.8 million extension which begins this year. That would look a whole lot better on New York's books than the $71 million set aside for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Dieng doesn't fit under New York's "marching orders" (per Woj), which are to focus on players age 25 and under. But the Knicks can't expect a perfect return if they're going to move Melo.

OMG! They suggest Dieng and Aldrich and Bjelica for Ryan Anderson and Omer Asik!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#3 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Gross. I dont thibs will do that

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#4 » by TheProdigy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm

shrink wrote:Bleacher Report speculation

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721373-how-will-carmelo-anthony-get-to-the-houston-rockets

Where will Anderson's services as a three-point sniper at power forward make basketball sense? The Minnesota Timberwolves could be the place. Head coach and team president Tom Thibodeau has spent the summer adding high-end talent, but the picture isn't complete.

As much as Jeff Teague can be a credible threat from three-point range—and as much as Jimmy Butler, Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins have stretched their shots—Minnesota's new trio could use someone with Anderson's range at power forward to open up the floor.

The Wolves already have two other quality bigs to play next to Towns in Gorgui Dieng and Taj Gibson. But Gibson, a Thibs favorite, only recently arrived in Minneapolis. With him on board, Dieng's skills as a rebounder, shot blocker and mid-range shooter are redundant.

Place Dieng next to Kristaps Porzingis in New York, and the Knicks' frontcourt might have something cooking—especially with the 27-year-old Dieng locked into a four-year, $62.8 million extension which begins this year. That would look a whole lot better on New York's books than the $71 million set aside for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Dieng doesn't fit under New York's "marching orders" (per Woj), which are to focus on players age 25 and under. But the Knicks can't expect a perfect return if they're going to move Melo.

OMG! They suggest Dieng and Aldrich and Bjelica for Ryan Anderson and Omer Asik!

It's hard to take Bleacher Report seriously when they publish garbage like that.
shrink
RealGM

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 pm

DaKidKG wrote:OMG! They suggest Dieng and Aldrich and Bjelica for Ryan Anderson and Omer Asik!

It's hard to take Bleacher Report seriously when they publish garbage like that.[/quote]
I agree. Ryno and Asik are two of the ten worst contracts in the NBA!

If the package was Dieng + Aldrich for Ryno + "something" ...

.... that "something" would need to be very good, and very cheap.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#6 » by jmoy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I don't like the contract but I think Anderson could be a very solid piece for the Wolves. I would do Dieng and Aldrich for Anderson but not if a contract like Asik is included.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#7 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Dieng off the bench is the best backup big in the L, you don't trade him for a 3PT PF on a gross contract that disappears in the playoffs.

I can see G being the new Rubio in terms of trade talks; it'll follow him until he probably is traded
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 pm

jmoy wrote:I don't like the contract but I think Anderson could be a very solid piece for the Wolves. I would do Dieng and Aldrich for Anderson but not if a contract like Asik is included.

I liked Anderson here three years ago, but the Anderson of today is not the same. At $20 mil a year for three years, unable to play defense at all, he's worth a lot less these days than Dieng and Aldrich's near expiring deal. Plus Thibs loves Dieng, and loves playing two bigs.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#9 » by HitmanCapone » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 pm

shrink wrote:Bleacher Report speculation

If we're helping facilitate a trade I'd much rather help Cleveland than Houston. Love is a much better fit than Anderson and Houston's in our conference.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#10 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 pm

I'd like a stretch-4, but a pick has to come in any package including Anderson at a bare minimum. Either way, doubtful we move Dieng in deal for a more specialized role player that's so overpaid.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,894

Post#11 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 am

This makes sense to me as a groundwork for a trade. Depends on how badly Cleveland wants or doesn't want Anderson....maybe that's where the fourth team comes in.

To HOU: Melo
To CLE: Anderson
To NYK: Love
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 am

Klomp wrote:This makes sense to me as a groundwork for a trade. Depends on how badly Cleveland wants or doesn't want Anderson....maybe that's where the fourth team comes in.

To HOU: Melo
To CLE: Anderson
To NYK: Love

I can't imagine Cleveland would prefer Anderson to Love.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#13 » by karch34 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:49 am

No sense to help Houston. This is the best I could come up with, but would still be looking for sweetener.

MN out Dieng and Aldrich
MN in Anderson, Hernangomez, Qi

NY out Carmelo, Hernangomez
NY in Dieng, Aldrich, Ariza

Hou out Anderson, Ariza, Qi
Hou in Carmelo
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#14 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am

Hermangomez would be cool. Still wouldn't make a ton of sense to get him if we are getting Anderson as well as sending out Gorgui.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#15 » by Wingman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 am

I would be very upset if we traded Gorgui for $60MM of Ryan Anderson. I would hate watching him launch deep threes and I don't see that fitting into what Thibs is building.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#16 » by minimus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:12 pm

MIL are looking to trade Henson, not sure if it makes sense for them, but I'd offer Aldrich and 2nd round pick.
KAT-Henson-Dieng-Gibson would be a very good defensive frontcourt. I know that it is overloaded, overpaid frontcourt as well with little shooting but it might be just collecting assets for future trades.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#17 » by Grits n Gravy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 pm

How about:

We trade
Gorgui Dieng
Justin Patton

We receive
Robert Covington
Timothe Luwawu
rights to Jonah Bolden
Jerryd Bayless

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydceh94q

Gives us much greater wing depth, shooting and defense on the perimeter. Don't think Philly accepts but hey I'd absolutely adore this deal for us.
shrink
RealGM

Post#18 » by shrink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes, you'd need a third team, because PHI doesn't need Dieng or Patton. It sounds like they are saving their money to give Covington a nice deal. But yeah, I'd love that guy.
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:14 pm

shrink wrote:How about this?

LAC GETS: Cole Aldrich, generates two TPE's
LAC GIVES: Wes Johnson, Brice Johnson (#25, 2016)

MIN GETS: "$6.4 mil or less of wing help," Wes Johnson
MIN GIVES: Cole Aldrich

THIRD TEAM GETS: $5 mil of cap relief, Brice Johnson
THIRD TEAM GIVES: "$6.4 mil or less of wing help"

Why for LAC? LAC likes Aldrich, he played well there the previous year, and he is more productive than Wes and Brice. The deal doesn't even add salary, which is important to the Clippers. The Paul TPE perfectly fits Aldrich's contract, and lets LAC generate two more TPE's For future flexibility. Aldrich's expiring-ish contract is also tradable at the deadline for more flexibility, with a chance to generate 2018 cap space. Dekker is a better prospect than Brice. The important thing for LAC is getting out of two years of Wes Johnson ($5.9 mil, player option for $6.1), to get the most production for their payroll.

Why for MIN? Wes is a negative contract, but they don't have cap plans for 2018, and they can use bench depth. Thibs is even less likely to give Cole playing time this year than last, but at least Wes can reach the floor. Brice Johnson may be an asset that can get them more wing depth.

Why for Third Team? MIN can take on a contract of up to $6.4 mil, so this could provide $5 mil in immediate cap relief. Picking up a prospect in the GSW-era is never a bad thing.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Incidentally, this could be spun just a little where we don't take Wes, with PHX

LAC GETS: Cole Aldrich
LAC GIVES: Brice Johnson (#25, 2016), Wes Johnson

MIN GETS: Jared Dudley
MIN GIVES: Cole Aldrich

PHX GETS: $3 mil cap space this year and next, Brice Johnson (#25, 2016), Wes Johnson
PHX GIVES: Jared Dudley ($10/$10)

I like Dudley a lot, but I like the original deal more. $5 mil in cap relief and a late 1st should be able to bring back an even better player.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves