ImageImageImage

Trade talk 2017-18

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#1601 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:49 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Anyone think we should have made a slightly better offer for Oakafor?

He would have been a great pairing with Tyus in the second unit. Any reasoning for why he went cheap?

We got too much salary at the 4 and 5, we need a wing badly, and we can't have any other priorities in trades before getting it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#1602 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:09 pm

minimus wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Anyone think we should have made a slightly better offer for Oakafor?

He would have been a great pairing with Tyus in the second unit. Any reasoning for why he went cheap?

Can't rebound, can't block shot, can't defend in space, can't stay healthy

Neither does our bench. But he can score, and that is sorely needed.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1603 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:13 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:

We got too much salary at the 4 and 5, we need a wing badly, and we can't have any other priorities in trades before getting it.

From the talk around here Dieng is as good as gone. Wings will be available before the deadline. (I hope.) Plus we need imidiate upgrades to the bench, and I don't see a wing that can help right now that is tradeable. Hell Bazz is playing bad right now, but we have seen he can be effective. Thibs buries guys that we could use. SMFH.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1604 » by urinesane » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:33 pm

Okafor isn't going to learn to play defense.

Sick of bigs that don't play D, Wolves don't need to add more.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#1605 » by shrink » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:07 pm

urinesane wrote:Okafor isn't going to learn to play defense.

Exactly, and he can't shoot a jumpshot to spread the floor. This is not where the NBA is going. Right now, teams like to go small at the 5 to create mismatches, and allow defensive switches. If you are going to be a big in the league right now, you at least better defend the rim and spread the floor. Okafor can't switch, can't defend the rim, and he can't spread the floor.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1606 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:19 pm

shrink wrote:

Exactly, and he can't shoot a jumpshot to spread the floor. This is not where the NBA is going. Right now, teams like to go small at the 5 to create mismatches, and allow defensive switches. If you are going to be a big in the league right now, you at least better defend the rim and spread the floor. Okafor can't switch, can't defend the rim, and he can't spread the floor.

Again, neither does our bench.
I'm not saying we needed him, but for a small price, sit him on the end of the bench until we need points from the second unit.
Trevor booker?

Lets not overthink this because Thibby is only going 8-9 deep anyway. Like I said, I think Tyus would help to get him playing better. He wasn't happy in Philly from day one. You think that might have something to do with it?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1607 » by shrink » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:23 pm

Gorgui can certainly hit a jumpshot, and is a better than Okafor (not saying much) at switching and defending the rim. Heck, Cole Aldrich is better defensively. KAT will continue to see big minutes. i just don't see how Okafor would ever see the floor.

What trade offer would you have suggested that beats Booker?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1608 » by urinesane » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:26 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
shrink wrote:

Again, neither does our bench.
I'm not saying we needed him, but for a small price, sit him on the end of the bench until we need points from the second unit.
Trevor booker?

Lets not overthink this because Thibby is only going 8-9 deep anyway. Like I said, I think Tyus would help to get him playing better. He wasn't happy in Philly from day one. You think that might have something to do with it?

I don't think he is a net positive in an NBA basketball game due to his defense, low FT attempts and bad %, lack of non-post scoring skills, and his low BBIQ.

If you think he's cracking a Thib's rotation, I think you are mistaken.

I have the same complaints about Okafor as a I did when people were arguing about whether or not to draft him. He hasn't improved his weaknesses, and his positives don't have as much impact as they did when he could physically dominate in college. His weaknesses are even more glaring against NBA talent and the grinding schedule.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#1609 » by Worm Guts » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:31 pm

Really we need a backup wing more than anything. We have big depth if we choose to use it.
cartermaxim13
Junior
And1: 69

Post#1610 » by cartermaxim13 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:43 pm

What do you guys think about signing Kilpatrick who got waived in the Okafor trade? I’m not sure about his defense, but he had a solid season last year in terms of scoring and knocking down the 3 ball.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#1611 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:59 pm

cartermaxim13 wrote:What do you guys think about signing Kilpatrick who got waived in the Okafor trade? I’m not sure about his defense, but he had a solid season last year in terms of scoring and knocking down the 3 ball.

I was thinking this as well. He looked good last year, and he can hit the 3 at least. He'd be a better fit than Bazz for that reason alone.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1612 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:06 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
cartermaxim13 wrote:What do you guys think about signing Kilpatrick who got waived in the Okafor trade? I’m not sure about his defense, but he had a solid season last year in terms of scoring and knocking down the 3 ball.

I was thinking this as well. He looked good last year, and he can hit the 3 at least. He'd be a better fit than Bazz for that reason alone.

How good would he have to be to crack Thibs rotation?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,722

Post#1613 » by minimus » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:23 pm

He has been awful this season. I'd rather call A.Brown or MGH name.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1614 » by shrink » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:08 pm

MIN GIVES: Teague, Aldrich, Shabazz, MIN 2nd
MIN GETS: Monroe, Thabo, Bayless, MIL 1st

PHI GIVES: Bayless, BRK 2nd, HOU 2nd
PHI GETS: Aldrich

UTA GIVES: Rubio, Thabo
UTA GETS: Teague, Shabazz, HOU 2nd

PHX GIVES: Monroe, MIL 1st
PHX GETS: Rubio, BRK 2nd, MIN 2nd

I've been reading the trade requests from other teams, so...

Why for PHI? PHI is looking for an expiring for someone willing to take Bayless at $8.5 mil. Aldrich is close to an expiring ($2 mil guaranteed next year), and gives PHI valuable cap space next year. They hold onto the SAC 2nd.

Why for UTA? Teague for Rubio would be a great fit, at the price of Thabo. They have plenty of defense, but could use Teague's scoring badly.

Why for PHX? Some PHX posters would like Rubio to develop their youth, and let them run. They would prefer a Rubio price of Chandler and MIL 1st, or Monroe and 2 2nds, so Monroe and 1st, but getting back two seconds, seems a fair compromise. Rubio is an investment in their kids.

Why for MIN? This is a tough trade, since we are trading the best player (Teague), but I think it helps us in a lot of ways, including addng a 1st, and clearing $7 mil next season under the lux to help afford Bjelica.

1. Bayless is a big step down from Teague, but Jimmy minimizes the value we get out of the $19 mil Teague contract. This reclaims that value and invests it elsewhere. It also gets more minutes for Tyus. Bayless is two years, $8.5 mil. We add the MIL 1st

2. Thabo is an ideal fit as our third wing. He's great defensively, protects us from an injury to Wiggins or Jimmy, and locked in for two years at $5 mil.

3. We don't need Monroe's production that badly, but a little beef can't hurt and he's their only big expiring

Bayless, Tyus
Wiggins, Crawford
Jimmy, Thabo
Taj, Bjelica
KAT, Monroe, Dieng, Patton

Next year, pay Bjelica, MLE, and OKC and MIL 1st
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1615 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:00 pm

Okafor went for cheap because 1. He hasn't been good 2. The Sixers declined his option which means if he repairs his value with the Nets they have to pay him this off season rather than having two more cheap years
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1616 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:40 am

With Zeller out for the year, I no wonder if they are desperate for center depth.

Aldrich to Charlotte
Lamb to Minny

We get wing depth.
They get center depth, open up minutes for monk, and save money.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1617 » by shrink » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:06 pm

I like the deal, but I would be concerned Lamb's $7.5 mil next year, over the lux, may interfere with Taylor re-signing Bjelica. My hope would be to find an expiring swingman, even if he is more expensive than Aldrich. Also, if we are taking on 2018 salary and using the OKC 1st, I guess he has to be better than CJ Miles for Thibs to sign on. I wouldn't hate having Lamb, and with the win-now Hornets financially invested in Dwight Howard and Cody Zeller, an expiring, stop gap, back up might be something they are looking for.

I hope other front offices still see Aldrich as a guy who can provide some production. He was a very good defensive back up center in LAC. However, and I have this concern for Dieng too, when a player spends too much time on the bench, he may get devalued.
samyell
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#1618 » by samyell » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 am

Worm Guts wrote:Really we need a backup wing more than anything. We have big depth if we choose to use it.

This is the most important for us right now. 3 and D - dunno really who we would have the option to trade for but seems like cole and/or gorgui could be had. I think something needs to done at this position if we want to be serious in the playoffs.
Samyell 4ever
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#1619 » by PharmD » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 am

lbj273 wrote:Okafor went for cheap because 1. He hasn't been good 2. The Sixers declined his option which means if he repairs his value with the Nets they have to pay him this off season rather than having two more cheap years

Actually it's even worse than that. He's an RFA but they Nyets can only offer him/match an offer up to the value of his declined option. The team that traded for him is in the worst position to sign him next year if he turns out to be good.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1620 » by shrink » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 am

samyell wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Really we need a backup wing more than anything. We have big depth if we choose to use it.

This is the most important for us right now. 3 and D - dunno really who we would have the option to trade for but seems like cole and/or gorgui could be had. I think something needs to done at this position if we want to be serious in the playoffs.

I agree. My guess is that Thibs is waiting until the trade deadline to assess our playoff position and the health of Wiggins and Butler. If there is an injury, I think we would make a deal right away - maybe he even has a couple in place right now. However, I imagine if things hold up, that he hopes to hold onto that OKC pick, and address the position next summer with the tax-payer MLE. Since he was unwilling to give up that pick (and Aldrich) for CJ Miles, who would have been a great fit, that I feel like he he won't trade it unless he's forced to.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves