Trade talk 2017-18

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Re: Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#961 » by walk with me » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

jmoy wrote:

I think a lot of it comes down to what your philosophy of building a team is. I am a "stars and scrubs" type for basketball. get as many stars as you can and then get guys who have a skill to fill in the rest. I would deal Gorgui in a second if it meant getting a scorer as good as Melo (although maybe not him specifically) and not bad all around player. Then find guys who can set picks, play some defense, shot a bit, etc. They can be more one dimensional guys than Girgui because you would have stars to carry them. The important part of the scrubs is that they are good team guys who know and accept their role.

I'm with you... the way basketball is played in this era and the way players are paid. It doesn't make sense to over pay guys for fit IMO. No team in this era of nba is winning using a balanced roster, you win if you stack. So like you, I'd rather stack and fill gaps with close to minimums and d-league guys.

Imo the d league is a super unutilized source. Spurs and heat are two teams that come to mind when thinking of properly utilizing d league talent.

Worm Guts wrote:I don't really mean in that sense. I don't know if Wiggins is worried about "getting his", but I do think Wiggins biggest issue is staying engaged and if you make him the 4th option, to some extent you're giving him an excuse to check out.
To get Wiggins where he needs to be, I think we need to have him play in important games, but also be an important player during those games.

I'm still curious what's going to happen with Wiggins. I feel like if the team was sold on giving him that extension it would have happened already
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#962 » by Worm Guts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:I am shocked by people actually having something against a Melo for Dieng trade LUL! I guess you take the toxic Knicks fans seriously when they start belittling Melo because he's supposedly slowing down Porzingis' development on the General Board and similar places. I'm pretty sure we don't stand a chance to get our hands on Melo if Dieng is the centerpiece of the trade, I'm sure even Dieng himself wouldn't be so delusional to think that he's nearly as good as Melo, so yeah, you can just chill because everybody knows this trade ain't happening, just not for the reasons you think.

I think you need to look at older Wade and older Bryant to try and get a perspective on where these guys who were primary scorers in their primes can fit in on good teams as they age.
I don't necessarily think there's a clear answer, but I think there is a question.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#963 » by minimus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Worm Guts wrote: I don't really mean in that sense. I don't know if Wiggins is worried about "getting his", but I do think Wiggins biggest issue is staying engaged and if you make him the 4th option, to some extent you're giving him an excuse to check out.
To get Wiggins where he needs to be, I think we need to have him play in important games, but also be an important player during those games.

You will have this issue either with Melo or without Melo. Wiggins needs to stay engaged regardless this. He won't play for contract, or stats. He will have plenty of time to learn develop and be an important player. It is about six years path. It's about learning to win. Look at GSW, Thompson took these years to develop into a star, same with Curry. Honestly, I dont care about Wiggins feelings, because winning cures everything. Perkins, Rondo, Ray Allen were difficult characters, different egos, they were difficult to manage, but BOS won a title with them.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#964 » by Worm Guts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:45 pm

minimus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote: I don't really mean in that sense. I don't know if Wiggins is worried about "getting his", but I do think Wiggins biggest issue is staying engaged and if you make him the 4th option, to some extent you're giving him an excuse to check out.

You will have this issue either with Melo or without Melo. Wiggins needs to stay engaged regardless this. He won't play for contract, or stats. He will have plenty of time to learn develop and be an important player. It is about six years path. It's about learning to win. Look at GSW, Thompson took these years to develop into a star, same with Curry. Honestly, I dont care about Wiggins feelings, because winning cures everything. Perkins, Rondo, Ray Allen were difficult characters, different egos, they were difficult to manage, but BOS won a title with them.

Like I said, it's not about feelings. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about Wiggins ability to carry a big load and stay engaged on both ends. And I think it's important to develop that as early as possible, otherwise he will just settle in as a role player.
I think the challenge with Wiggins is developing the personality, and I don't think that's comparable to some of these other guys.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,925

Post#965 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 pm

If the team still had Rubio and not Teague, I'd probably be more willing to pull the plug on a trade like that.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#966 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 am

Worm Guts wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:I am shocked by people actually having something against a Melo for Dieng trade LUL! I guess you take the toxic Knicks fans seriously when they start belittling Melo because he's supposedly slowing down Porzingis' development on the General Board and similar places. I'm pretty sure we don't stand a chance to get our hands on Melo if Dieng is the centerpiece of the trade, I'm sure even Dieng himself wouldn't be so delusional to think that he's nearly as good as Melo, so yeah, you can just chill because everybody knows this trade ain't happening, just not for the reasons you think.

I think you need to look at older Wade and older Bryant to try and get a perspective on where these guys who were primary scorers in their primes can fit in on good teams as they age.
I don't necessarily think there's a clear answer, but I think there is a question.

I'd rather look at older Pierce or older Joe Johnson if I had to think of Melo's aging (and he's only 33, I reckon he's gonna be an above average starter at least until he's 36), and his 42.6% 3pt from spot ups is what makes me feel even better about his fit.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#967 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 am

Klomp wrote:If the team still had Rubio and not Teague, I'd probably be more willing to pull the plug on a trade like that.

Doesn't pull the plug mean you're not going to do something. Pull the Trigger might be more appropriate.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,925

Post#968 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:If the team still had Rubio and not Teague, I'd probably be more willing to pull the plug on a trade like that.

Doesn't pull the plug mean you're not going to do something. Pull the Trigger might be more appropriate.

:o :nod: :banghead: :oops: :lol:
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#969 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:

I just proved that he's 30-35 range... like I said leave stats alone. If you don't know how to use them you just make yourself look like a pseudo intelligent basketball fan that CLEARLY knows nothing about the game but can regurgitate something he doesn't even comprehend.

You proved nothing , it actually funny that you think that you did and rather sad.

I understand that Melo being a big name and scoring a lot of points makes casual fans overestimate his play because they don't understand the game so I doubt you are alone in this .
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#970 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:41 am

andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

I just proved that he's 30-35 range... like I said leave stats alone. If you don't know how to use them you just make yourself look like a pseudo intelligent basketball fan that CLEARLY knows nothing about the game but can regurgitate something he doesn't even comprehend.

You proved nothing , it actually funny that you think that you did and rather sad.

I understand that Melo being a big name and scoring a lot of points makes casual fans overestimate his play because they don't understand the game so I doubt you are alone in this .

According to you he's between 75-80... who's the casual.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#971 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:

According to you he's between 75-80... who's the casual.

You and thats fine not everybody wants to take the time to understand the game beyond their surface impression. If you are happy watching games for enjoyment and not interested in the details of it theres nothing wrong with that
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#972 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 am

andyhop wrote:
You and thats fine not everybody wants to take the time to understand the game beyond their surface impression. If you are happy watching games for enjoyment and not interested in the details of it theres nothing wrong with that

says the guy that has gorgui dieng ranked above melo head to head lol
andyhop
Analyst

Post#973 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:51 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Sorry analytics are beyond you
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#974 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 am

andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Sorry basketball is beyond you
andyhop
Analyst

Post#975 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:

Sorry basketball is beyond you

Coming from someone with as little knowledge of the game as you I will take that as a complement.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#976 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:02 am

andyhop wrote:
Coming from someone with as little knowledge of the game as you I will take that as a complement.

Based on what? My opinion on melo being 30-35 vs yours that has melo slated at 75-80? Why don't yu bring that one to the general board and see how it goes. I guess everyone would be wrong but you at that point.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#977 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Based on what? My opinion on melo being 30-35 vs yours that has melo slated at 75-80? Why don't yu bring that one to the general board and see how it goes. I guess everyone would be wrong but you at that point.

Hey go for it after people call you out for being dumb with your analytics rant
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#978 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:10 am

andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

According to your superb use and understanding of analytics... these guys are better than melo

Andre Iguodala
Bradley Beal
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Cody Zeller
Danilo Gallinari
DeAndre Jordan
Dewayne Dedmon
Dwight Howard
Eric Bledsoe
George Hill
Goran Dragic
Greg Monroe
J.J. Redick
Jae Crowder
James Johnson
JaMychal Green
Jeff Teague
Joe Ingles
Lou Williams
Marcin Gortat
Marvin Williams
Mason Plumlee
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Myles Turner
Otto Porter
Patrick Beverley
Patty Mills
Ricky Rubio
Steven Adams
Tim Hardaway
Tobias Harris
Trevor Ariza
Tristan Thompson
Tyler Johnson
Zaza Pachulia
Gorgui Dieng

Pretty obvious you know little to nothing about the game of basketball... stick to soccer bro!
andyhop
Analyst

Post#979 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:13 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:

According to your superb use and understanding of analytics... these guys are better than melo

Andre Iguodala
Bradley Beal
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Cody Zeller
Danilo Gallinari
DeAndre Jordan
Dewayne Dedmon
Dwight Howard
Eric Bledsoe
George Hill
Goran Dragic
Greg Monroe
J.J. Redick
Jae Crowder
James Johnson
JaMychal Green
Jeff Teague
Joe Ingles
Lou Williams
Marcin Gortat
Marvin Williams
Mason Plumlee
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Myles Turner
Otto Porter
Patrick Beverley
Patty Mills
Ricky Rubio
Steven Adams
Tim Hardaway
Tobias Harris
Trevor Ariza
Tristan Thompson
Tyler Johnson
Zaza Pachulia
Gorgui Dieng

Pretty obvious you know little to nothing about the game of basketball... stick to soccer bro!

I mean the majority of them are at first glance , when you understand why you will be closer to knowing about the game
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#980 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 am

andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Andre Iguodala
Bradley Beal
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Cody Zeller
Danilo Gallinari
DeAndre Jordan
Dewayne Dedmon
Dwight Howard
Eric Bledsoe
George Hill
Goran Dragic
Greg Monroe
J.J. Redick
Jae Crowder
James Johnson
JaMychal Green
Jeff Teague
Joe Ingles
Lou Williams
Marcin Gortat
Marvin Williams
Mason Plumlee
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Myles Turner
Otto Porter
Patrick Beverley
Patty Mills
Ricky Rubio
Steven Adams
Tim Hardaway
Tobias Harris
Trevor Ariza
Tristan Thompson
Tyler Johnson
Zaza Pachulia
Gorgui Dieng

I mean the majority of them are at first glance , when you understand why you will be closer to knowing about the game

And that's exactly why you're clueless about the game lol. You actually believe that nonsense

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves