andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Re: Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#981 » by andyhop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:19 am

walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
According to your superb use and understanding of analytics... these guys are better than melo

Andre Iguodala
Bradley Beal
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Cody Zeller
Danilo Gallinari
DeAndre Jordan
Dewayne Dedmon
Dwight Howard
Eric Bledsoe
George Hill
Goran Dragic
Greg Monroe
J.J. Redick
Jae Crowder
James Johnson
JaMychal Green
Jeff Teague
Joe Ingles
Lou Williams
Marcin Gortat
Marvin Williams
Mason Plumlee
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Myles Turner
Otto Porter
Patrick Beverley
Patty Mills
Ricky Rubio
Steven Adams
Tim Hardaway
Tobias Harris
Trevor Ariza
Tristan Thompson
Tyler Johnson
Zaza Pachulia
Gorgui Dieng

Pretty obvious you know little to nothing about the game of basketball... stick to soccer bro!

I mean the majority of them are at first glance , when you understand why you will be closer to knowing about the game

And that's exactly why you're clueless about the game lol. You actually believe that nonsense

And the fact you think it is clueless is why you have zero understanding of the game,.

I will let you have the last word because this is going nowhere
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#982 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 am

andyhop wrote:
walk with me wrote:
andyhop wrote:
I mean the majority of them are at first glance , when you understand why you will be closer to knowing about the game

And that's exactly why you're clueless about the game lol. You actually believe that nonsense

And the fact you think it is clueless is why you have zero understanding of the game,.

I will let you have the last word because this is going nowhere

Sounds good.. good luck swaying someone else to believe melo is the 80th best player in the nba
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#983 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 am

Guys you've both been warned.

Suspensions and board bans will be the next step if you don't quit.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#984 » by ace625214 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Current day Pau Gasol is better than Blake Griffin, and PG and Jimmy Butler are not top-19 players in the league. Oof.
subwayJ
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#985 » by subwayJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

Is this real life? If you cant see that advanced stats can be significantly swayed to a certain narrative then you are crazy.

Some of the greatest players I bet rank low on your advanced stats.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#986 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am

ace625214 wrote:Current day Pau Gasol is better than Blake Griffin, and PG and Jimmy Butler are not top-19 players in the league. Oof.

Where is that coming from?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#987 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

subwayJ wrote:Is this real life? If you cant see that advanced stats can be significantly swayed to a certain narrative then you are crazy.

Advanced stats aren't used to push any particular narrative, which why you try to use multiple stats to try to get a better picture. Different stats say different things.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#988 » by slinky » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Excuse my slight detour, it is the offseason...:-)

If you were in the market to buy a house...and all you were given for a list of houses were Year, SqFeet, Acres, Taxes, Price, Price/SqFt, # of Bedroom/Baths...How would you decide which house you like between one with 2500 sq ft and one with 2600 sq ft? The first step likely(similar to Wormguts said) is you add in other criteria/stats to build your list. But does the data inform if the house smells like cat-piss? Will it tell you if the living room feels cold and there is a nice draft coming in through the doors?

Or if all you were given for your list of houses was a stack of pictures, How do determine which white painted basement is best for you between two houses? How do you determine the best kitchen between two houses with stainless steel appliances? How do you know the picture isn't fooling you about the size of bedrooms? Without the data to inform you of size basement/bedroom, age of appliances...you are left with gut feel and impressions. Now take 10 houses you have seen over 2 months and see how accurately you can recall how those houses compare. How do rank 'like-it'', 'Its got potential', 'House needs work but I like the Neighborhood'? Now go onto a house buying forum and try to convey to that to hundred other people. Good chance of disagreement :-)

Seeing the house allows you to see things that can't easily be measured. And gives context to your data. And data helps build some structure to a decision by removing bias and other environmental circumstances from your eye test.

So yes without basketball I have been watching a lot of HGTV, and I get the analogy is probably too basic for some, but this is just high level how I think about stats vs. eye test.
subwayJ
Sophomore

Post#989 » by subwayJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
subwayJ wrote:Is this real life? If you cant see that advanced stats can be significantly swayed to a certain narrative then you are crazy.

Advanced stats aren't used to push any particular narrative, which why you try to use multiple stats to try to get a better picture. Different stats say different things.

They are garbage and wrong if you believe them when they say melois worse than gorgui
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#990 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:06 pm

subwayJ wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

They are garbage and wrong if you believe them when they say melois worse than gourgi

Worse is a subjective term. Melo isn't good enough to be primary scorer on a good team any more. Gorgui could never play the role Melo played, but that doesn't necessarily mean Melo is better at Gorgui's role than Gorgui. That's more of an unknown.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#991 » by walk with me » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
subwayJ wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

They are garbage and wrong if you believe them when they say melois worse than gourgi

Worse is a subjective term. Melo isn't good enough to be primary scorer on a good team any more. Gorgui could never play the role Melo played, but that doesn't necessarily mean Melo is better at Gorgui's role than Gorgui. That's more of an unknown.

By this rationale....

You could say Shawn Livingston is better than boogie cousins or something. Nobody here is talking about greatness at their particular role. It's really kind of a silly convo to have because putting someone in the proper role falls upon a GM. A good GM could take a player with serious deficiencies and put him in a role that makes him shine. A bad GM could take a great player and put the wrong people around him and he looks like crap.

Like rondo.... on the Celtics people had him as like... top 5 PGs. The second he left people wanted him out of the league lol. When it was the same dude all along.
subwayJ
Sophomore

Post#992 » by subwayJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
subwayJ wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

You just added in "at gorguis role".

MELO.IS.BETTER.AT.BASKETBALL.THAN.GORGUI.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#993 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:42 pm

subwayJ wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
subwayJ wrote:

You just added in "at gorguis role".

MELO.IS.BETTER.AT.BASKETBALL.THAN.GORGUI.

He's better at scoring, which isn't the same thing
subwayJ
Sophomore

Post#994 » by subwayJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Come on dude. Gosh....

You talking bout all star melo, that had GM's lining up to pay him.

You can like who you want but don't justify it by saying he is better.

I love Rubio but you wouldn't catch me dead saying he beats out most other PG's. That's just straight BS.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#995 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm

subwayJ wrote:Come on dude. Gosh....

You talking bout all star melo, that had GM's lining up to pay him.

You can like who you want but don't justify it by saying he is better.

I love Rubio but you wouldn't catch me dead saying he beats out most other PG's. That's just straight BS.

If Melo were better than Gorgui without need for context, then his numbers would better. Melo wouldn't be getting 20 million per year if he was a free agent today.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#996 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
ace625214 wrote:Current day Pau Gasol is better than Blake Griffin, and PG and Jimmy Butler are not top-19 players in the league. Oof.

walk with me's tier list a page back
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#997 » by walk with me » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

ace625214 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

That list was generated by finding players who had better vorp, WS, WS/48, and BPM at the request of Andy hop to determine what players were better then melo.

I made the better, maybe better, even and not better tiers based on my own opinion but those lists were in any numeric order.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#998 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm

walk with me wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

That list was generated by finding players who had better vorp, WS, WS/48, and BPM at the request of Andy hop to determine what players were better then melo.

I made the better, maybe better, even and not better tiers based on my own opinion but those lists were in any numeric order.

I know the players were in the tiers at random order, I was just commenting on how PG and Butler were in the 2nd tier while there were 19 people in the first tier. You very well could have them at 20 and 21, but they were not in the top-19. Gasol was also a tier higher than Griffin, which to me is hilarious.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#999 » by walk with me » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 pm

ace625214 wrote:I know the players were in the tiers at random order, I was just commenting on how PG and Butler were in the 2nd tier while there were 19 people in the first tier. You very well could have them at 20 and 21, but they were not in the top-19. Gasol was also a tier higher than Griffin, which to me is hilarious.

It's def up for debate... my bigger goal of that post was to figure out where melo is. Both the pau/Blake comment and PG/Jimmy comment make sense.

Edit:

So you feel pg & jimmy are 109% undeniably better than melo?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#1000 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

walk with me wrote:So you feel pg & jimmy are 109% undeniably better than melo?

Without a doubt.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves