ImageImageImage

FYI: How a Kyrie Irving Trade is possible under the CBA?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Re: FYI: How a Kyrie Irving Trade is possible under the CBA? 

Post#61 » by AirP. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

karch34 wrote:
Ethomasp31 wrote:So you are saying you have "heard" that the Suns are offering Bledsoe, Chriss/Bender, and a draft pick are being offered for Irving?

I think you'll be surprised what the Cavs end up getting for Irving. It's always lower than what we've "heard" it's going to be.....

No. Local radio Guys who are pretty plugged into the front office of the Suns are saying they believe the best package Suns would offer is Bledsoe, Warren/Chris/Bender, and the 2018 Miami 1st. They have been looking to add a star and have had interest in moving Bledose in the past.

Sure if you don't consider injury riddled career being an obstetrical which a team wanting to compete for a title would. Bledsoe's price tag has been the same price as B.Lopez's, a single 1st round draft pick.

If Minnesota adds Irving(without trading Wiggins) it would be ridiculous to pay your 4th option who isn't a good defender the max(which Wiggins will get from someone).
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#62 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:Many people are SO confident in the fact it would require Wiggins to make a deal, I would like to breakdown what Minnesota can actually do for CLE.

I will base this on a vague deal of:

CLE Out: Kyrie, Thompson
MN Out: Dieng, Cole, BJ, Tyus, OKC 1st, Future 1st

1) CLE walks away with two firsts for flexibility, while they are late there is nothing excessively bad about that in the long-term.

2) Dieng gives them a player that is an upgrade over Thompson, it keeps them competitive in the East. Dieng is also a player who being a starting, floor spacing center could bring in a pick and/or minor cap saving and/or a pick post LBJ.

3) Cole can be used to take on a contract to help a team in the LUX and depending on that contract, team and savings , may net you a first in return.

4) BJ is a player that can be used in the immediate, but also used with Cole and #3.

5) Tyus is cheap and young, not blue chip, but something to kick the tires on.

With this deal, MN gives Cap savings in the event LBJ leaves, assets and picks and flexibility.

Love can be traded for value, Shump is movable to a decent degree and now you got a team with several picks, a ton of space, some young cheap talent, and an owner who has shown he is willing to spend.

PEPOLE, show a deal that gives this much in return.

LOL.

:crazy:
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#63 » by Jammer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:41 am

Jammer wrote:For those who wonder if a Kyrie Irving trade to the Wolves is possible under the CBA, the answer is yes. Whether it could happen is something completely different.

The new CBA requires, for the salaries in question and CAP SITUATIONS in question, that the Wolves ship out within $5 million of what they take back.
Since Kyrie Irving makes approximately $18,868,626 the Wolves would have to send out $13,868,626. This amount does not have to go to Cleveland, it just has to be outgoing to any combination of teams.

How could they get there today?

$7,300,000 Cole Aldrich
$3,949,999 Nemanja Bjelica
$1,471,382 Tyus Jones
Vet Minimum Contract to one of Brandon Rush or Adreian Payne (not doable with Shabazz, who will get more than Minimum). There is no practical reason for Rush or Payne to do this other than the Wolves possibly sending cash to the team in question to "guarantee" the second or third years, which for Rush and Payne, might matter.

That would cover the salary aspect. The Wolves would probably have to add at least one 1rst round pick to the above.

Other than the above collection of players, to get to the $13,868,626 number without the above potpourri would require trading someone like Gorgui Dieng or , after December 15, someone like Teague or Gibson, which you would not expect.

I think that there is a bit of a drunk reaction on the part of some fans of Minnesota and Cleveland.

In July 2010 LeBron James was Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Miami Heat for a 2011 2nd round draft pick (Milan Macvan was later selected), a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Jae Crowder was later selected), a 2013 1st round draft pick (Nemanja Nedovic was later selected) and a 2016 1st round draft pick (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot was later selected). Cleveland also received a trade exception from Miami. Cleveland had the option to swap 1st round draft picks with Miami in 2012 but did not do so. James signed a 4 year contract to get Miami to give up that "Haul." And Kyrie Irving aint' a LeBron James.

Irving's value declines with time, by next summer, with only one year left on his contract (his player option for a third year is meaningless in the context of the new CBA's Big Dollar contracts), moving Irving anytime after the trade deadline is foolish because the return will be puke. Probably less than Paul George fetched with his one year contract. So if Irving is going to be moved, it's either before camp or before the All-Star game. Cleveland might have dreams of another run with Irving, but the distraction and dysfunction will not be worth it.

So the timetable is set. Whether anyone wants to admit it is something else.

Now before everyone goes off giving up multiple rotation quality guys, you have to say what is each player's value. The team on the clock never gets as much as a team not on a clock.
For example, looking at some of the Wolves players who can be traded now (Teague, Gibson and Crawford are off limits until 12/15),

Tyus Jones has panned out, and despite being a #24 pick, has come along from the 19 year old drafted two years ago and on his own is worth around a #19 pick.

Nemanja Bjelica, all 6' 10" of him, is decent defensively and can stretch the floor. Despite being a #35 pick, he will be a Restricted Free Agent next summer, meaning whatever team that has him will have the Right to Match Any Offer, and Bjelica's value on it's own is a pick in the 20's. That's another First Round Pick value. He made it in the NBA. He's not a free agent. The Knicks even wanted to trade for him on his own at one time.

Now, people may say Cole Aldrich wasn't able to be moved (due to his $7.3 million salary), but Cole Aldrich happens to be around the 56th best center in the NBA. He's not a starter. But he's better than an end of the bench guy. Unfortunately the Wolves are now stacked with SIX good BIG's. Aldrich's game is more suited for the classic post player era, where his offense and defense would have been more suitable than today's mobile era where switching centers on defense are craved and guys who can step out and nail jumpers are searched out. But Aldrich is still around the 56th best center, which means there are 4 teams that he's better than the backup on, but those four teams have so many dollars committed to their current backup they can't justify Aldrich's additional salary, or they simply don't have the cap room. Now, Aldrich may not be worth a pick back, but he's better than the current backup center in Atlanta, Brooklyn, New Orleans or Phoenix.

So, just sending out Jones is worth about a #19 pick,and Bjelica about a twenty something pick. They wouldn't have to go to Cleveland if another team were sending back a pick in exchange.

The OKC pick is probably going to be around #23 to #26.

The Wolves 2020 First Round Pick (the earliest one they could trade) is probably out of the lottery, but who knows where.

Adding ONE of the Wolves future first, or the OKC pick, in effect brings the offer up to 3 First Round Picks ((Jones + Bjelica + (One of the 2018 OKC pick or Minnesota 2020 pick).

Cleveland will make a huge savings in that they are into the repeater luxury tax, so by taking back less salary than they send out will have HUGE savings for them. That's actually a good deal. Bjelica and Jones would actually fit into the Cleveland roster. Aldrich would not.

For CBA reasons the Wolves would have to send out another $800k of salary, someplace, by signing and trading either Brandon Rush or Adriean Payne to a minimum deal and "guaranteeing" the 2nd or 3rd year by sending a cash payment to the destination team. Since up to $5.1 million or so can be transferred between teams under the new CBA, any cash not going to the team taking on Rush or Payne could go to Cleveland.

That's actually sort of the return Cleveland's going to end up with, since I can't see Phoenix parting with Bledsoe and Jackson, despite Cleveland probably requesting both. What you read and what will happen are two different scenarios, based on who the reporter was talking to. Most of what we are reading now is Cleveland's "wish list." In any event, I think some folks are giving up the store when the cup boards do not have to be laid bare. Kyrie actually wields a lot of power since they really can't trade him to a team that he will not agree to re-sign with, or else whatever the receiving gives up is for a 2 year, and possibly less, rental.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#64 » by mademan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am

Ethomasp31 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Ethomasp31 wrote:
So what kind of assets do you think the Wolves could give up that don't include Wiggins. I don't think any team will be give any asset nearly as good as Wiggins for Kyrie....and I don't think we should either. We have the OKC pick...2020 unprotected pick....Patton....2022 unprotected pick....Dieng....

Do you think those type of assets could get a trade for Kyrie done?

Many people are SO confident in the fact it would require Wiggins to make a deal, I would like to breakdown what Minnesota can actually do for CLE.

1) CLE walks away with two firsts for flexibility, while they are late there is nothing excessively bad about that in the long-term.

2) Dieng gives them a player that is an upgrade over Thompson, it keeps them competitive in the East. Dieng is also a player who being a starting, floor spacing center could bring in a pick and/or minor cap saving and/or a pick post LBJ.

3) Cole can be used to take on a contract to help a team in the LUX and depending on that contract, team and savings , may net you a first in return.

4) BJ is a player that can be used in the immediate, but also used with Cole and #3.

With this deal, MN gives Cap savings in the event LBJ leaves, assets and picks and flexibility.

Love can be traded for value, Shump is movable to a decent degree and now you got a team with several picks, a ton of space, some young cheap talent, and an owner who has shown he is willing to spend.

Our bench would be Thompson, Teague and Crawford....and Patton when he gets healthy....

We would need to sign two more wings still...and another couple of bigs....and another PG. I think Cleveland is going to try to get more than that...but you are correct....I don't know if anyone will give them anything more than that.

This is a collection o bench players and mediocre picks. Literally every team in the league can and would make a similar offer.
Ethomasp31
Senior
And1: 208

Post#65 » by Ethomasp31 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:18 pm

mademan wrote:
Ethomasp31 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:Many people are SO confident in the fact it would require Wiggins to make a deal, I would like to breakdown what Minnesota can actually do for CLE.

Our bench would be Thompson, Teague and Crawford....and Patton when he gets healthy....

We would need to sign two more wings still...and another couple of bigs....and another PG. I think Cleveland is going to try to get more than that...but you are correct....I don't know if anyone will give them anything more than that.

This is a collection o bench players and mediocre picks. Literally every team in the league can and would make a similar offer.

I don't disagree that this isn't a great package. The point is George went for Oladipo and Sabonis....Butler went for Dunn, an injured LaVine and a pick swap....Paul went for Beverly and Williams....

No one is giving a chip as good as Wiggins for Kyrie. Why should we? Just like if we trade for Kyrie and try and trade Teague, we are not going to get a return that anyone on this board expects. Is our package not including Wiggins going to be accepted? Probably not....but if the Cavs...who will pay $75 million just in luxury tax this year get some luxury tax relief, draft picks and some serviceable players....that's about all they can expect for Kyrie. And if the reports out of Cleveland are true, the Cavs pretty much need to move him before training camp. It sounds like an ugly situation.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#66 » by wildvikeswolves » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:

LOL.

:crazy:

I wish he was right, but yea that's awful and Cleveland would block Minnesotas # instantly
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#67 » by minimus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Ethomasp31 wrote:No one is giving a chip as good as Wiggins for Kyrie. Why should we?

We should not. The only rivalry on the market is PHO gives and they dont want to include Josh Jackson or Booker. Bledsoe had serious knee injuries it is more like neutral value.

So it is like Wiggins vs not even Jackson but Warren and others.
mademan
RealGM

Post#68 » by mademan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Ethomasp31 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Ethomasp31 wrote:

I don't disagree that this isn't a great package. The point is George went for Oladipo and Sabonis....Butler went for Dunn, an injured LaVine and a pick swap....Paul went for Beverly and Williams....

No one is giving a chip as good as Wiggins for Kyrie. Why should we? Just like if we trade for Kyrie and try and trade Teague, we are not going to get a return that anyone on this board expects. Is our package not including Wiggins going to be accepted? Probably not....but if the Cavs...who will pay $75 million just in luxury tax this year get some luxury tax relief, draft picks and some serviceable players....that's about all they can expect for Kyrie. And if the reports out of Cleveland are true, the Cavs pretty much need to move him before training camp. It sounds like an ugly situation.

It's fair not want to give up Wiggins and I don't think the wolves should, but Cleveland won't look twice at the wolves if he's not on the table. If they're forced to give up kyrie for a garbage package, they'll take it from a garbage team. At least it won't look as bad or wise if the team kyrie goes to doesn't have big success.

You know how terrible it would look on Gilbert if the wolves become contenders and the cavs gave them 2 big contributers in Wiggins and kyrie? I'd go as far as saying that the cavs will only accept a wolves offer that's clear cut better than anything else on the table.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#69 » by nymets1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

So its apparently Wiggins for Kyrie straight up? I saw something about Jeff Teague that he can't be traded until December. Geez if the timberwolves knew about Kyrie's unhappiness before signing Jeff Teague, than they could have offered Teague less money, forget about Teague or still sign Teague but that Teague is available immediately for a trade. I think the Timberwolves might have put something in Teague's contract that he can't be traded until December, that i believe was a mistake.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#70 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 pm

nymets1 wrote:So its apparently Wiggins for Kyrie straight up? I saw something about Jeff Teague that he can't be traded until December. Geez if the timberwolves knew about Kyrie's unhappiness before signing Jeff Teague, than they could have offered Teague less money, forget about Teague or still sign Teague but that Teague is available immediately for a trade. I think the Timberwolves might have put something in Teague's contract that he can't be traded until December, that i believe was a mistake.

The Wolves didn't put any clause in Teague's contract, it's the general rule of CBA.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#71 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 pm

AirP. wrote:
karch34 wrote:
Ethomasp31 wrote:So you are saying you have "heard" that the Suns are offering Bledsoe, Chriss/Bender, and a draft pick are being offered for Irving?

I think you'll be surprised what the Cavs end up getting for Irving. It's always lower than what we've "heard" it's going to be.....

No. Local radio Guys who are pretty plugged into the front office of the Suns are saying they believe the best package Suns would offer is Bledsoe, Warren/Chris/Bender, and the 2018 Miami 1st. They have been looking to add a star and have had interest in moving Bledose in the past.

Sure if you don't consider injury riddled career being an obstetrical which a team wanting to compete for a title would. Bledsoe's price tag has been the same price as B.Lopez's, a single 1st round draft pick.

If Minnesota adds Irving(without trading Wiggins) it would be ridiculous to pay your 4th option who isn't a good defender the max(which Wiggins will get from someone).

Air you just keep talking about which option a player is. What matters is how good the player is. GS has 4 top 30 players and I think they are now paying them all with a slight exception to Durant taking one for the team. It's working out well for them.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#72 » by AirP. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:54 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:
karch34 wrote:

Air you just keep talking about which option a player is. What matters is how good the player is. GS has 4 top 30 players and I think they are now paying them all with a slight exception to Durant taking one for the team. It's working out well for them.

Not every owner is willing to eat that much money. I'd go with MOST owners aren't willing to eat that much money. Just a few years Chicago who's in a big market traded L.Deng about a month before the trade deadline for a player they could cut instantly and save money. They didn't try to tank, they just wanted to make more money, the Thibs led that team to the playoffs that year being led by J.Noah and DJ Augustine.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#73 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm

mademan wrote:
It's fair not want to give up Wiggins and I don't think the wolves should, but Cleveland won't look twice at the wolves if he's not on the table. If they're forced to give up kyrie for a garbage package, they'll take it from a garbage team. At least it won't look as bad or wise if the team kyrie goes to doesn't have big success.

You know how terrible it would look on Gilbert if the wolves become contenders and the cavs gave them 2 big contributers in Wiggins and kyrie? I'd go as far as saying that the cavs will only accept a wolves offer that's clear cut better than anything else on the table.

If that is true and it is a big if, then adults are not running the FO of the Cavs. That is what you are saying, that the FO is not mature enough to weigh options and deals and pick the best one for where they want to go now and in the future. They want Wiggins or be damned.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 pm

karch34 wrote:

Wow. That is low.

Bledsoe a good but injury prone player under contract for two years, Warren who is also a good player, but you are going to have to pay him (do you want to be the team that pays him?), or Chriss or Bender, lets face it it would have to be Chriss, Bender is pretty gross. And a late pick. If that is the market for CLE that is not good.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#75 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
karch34 wrote:

Wow. That is low.

Bledsoe a good but injury prone player under contract for two years, Warren who is also a good player, but you are going to have to pay him (do you want to be the team that pays him?), or Chriss or Bender, lets face it it would have to be Chriss, Bender is pretty gross. And a late pick. If that is the market for CLE that is not good.

I think for a win now team Bledsoe is better than Irving by himself. Warren and Chris are both good to choose from and a Phoenix first round pick is probably lottery.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
karch34 wrote:

Wow. That is low.

I think for a win now team Bledsoe is better than Irving by himself. Warren and Chris are both good to choose from and a Phoenix first round pick is probably lottery.

I am going to have to stick with my assessment.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Wow. That is low.

Yep we see that very differently. I sure don't expect the Suns pick to be late and considering that Bledsoe is good both offensively and defensively I think he is better than Kyrie.
mademan
RealGM

Post#78 » by mademan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
mademan wrote:

If that is true and it is a big if, then adults are not running the FO of the Cavs. That is what you are saying, that the FO is not mature enough to weigh options and deals and pick the best one for where they want to go now and in the future. They want Wiggins or be damned.

That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Optics is still a very real thing. The op offer is a garbage offer. If the cavs take that trade and make Minnesota a contender, it'll be talked about for years.

If they take it from phx and they flop or he leaves in 2 years, then Cleveland is just a team who was put in a tough spot between kyrie and Lebron.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#79 » by shrink » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:11 pm

nymets1 wrote:So its apparently Wiggins for Kyrie straight up? I saw something about Jeff Teague that he can't be traded until December. Geez if the timberwolves knew about Kyrie's unhappiness before signing Jeff Teague, than they could have offered Teague less money, forget about Teague or still sign Teague but that Teague is available immediately for a trade. I think the Timberwolves might have put something in Teague's contract that he can't be traded until December, that i believe was a mistake.

Now that MIN is over the salary cap, CBA rules require that we come within $5.1 mil of Kyrie's salary, so it's not straight up. And yes, it's unfortunate that Kyrie didn't speak up earlier when we had cap space, because since Gilbert is so deeply into the repeater tax, the flexibility of cap space would have been very valuable.

And as Finn pointed out, the CBA prohibits teams from trading newly signed UFA's until December. After Kyrie demanded a trade to desert the Cavs, I don't think CLE can afford to have Kyrie poisoning the team atmosphere by being on that club at the start of training camp. They certainly don't want to make LeBron James uncomfortable, so I doubt a December trade including Teague is likely.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think for a win now team Bledsoe is better than Irving by himself. Warren and Chris are both good to choose from and a Phoenix first round pick is probably lottery.

Yep we see that very differently. I sure don't expect the Suns pick to be late and considering that Bledsoe is good both offensively and defensively I think he is better than Kyrie.

Why do you keep mentioning the Suns' pick it was not included, the Miami pick was included. And like I said I am sticking with my assessment. I don't think you will find many people who think Bledsoe is better than Irving. In fact you have to wonder what the Vegas odds would be that if Bledose ended up in CLE, that he and Rose end up out for the season. Very "win now".

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves