ImageImageImage

New Era. New Free Agency Thread.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Re: New Era. New Free Agency Thread. 

Post#61 » by Jammer » Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:00 pm

FYI: The Draft Express page for Marcus George-Hunt, who has agreed to a deal with the Wolves.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Georges-Hunt-7074/
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 8, 2017 11:28 pm

Jammer wrote:FYI: The Draft Express page for Marcus George-Hunt, who has agreed to a deal with the Wolves.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Georges-Hunt-7074/

I'm underwhelmed.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#63 » by Jammer » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:36 am

For anyone interested in Melo Trimble, here are his college stats from Maryland

College statistics
Year *******Team *GP GS MPG *FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG PPG
2014–15 Maryland 35 35 33.5 .444 .412 .863 3.9 *3.0 1.3 16.2
2015–16 Maryland 36 36 32.9 .410 .314 .863 3.6 *4.9 1.3 14.8
2016–17 Maryland 33 33 32.1 .436 .317 .789 3.6 *3.7 1.1 16.8
Career ********** 104 104 32.8 .429 .343 .841 3.7 *3.9 1.2 15.9

Here is his draft express profile (true height is 6' 1.25" w/o shoes)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Melo-Trimble-7258/

Here is a link to an interesting article about his first 2017 summer league game in Utah playing for the Philadelphia 76ers.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-basketball/2017/7/4/15918986/melo-trimble-summer-league-nba-james-blackmon

At the Las Vegas Summer League, he at least got to play for Philadelphia.
3 games
13.7 mpg
10.3 ppg
12-20 FG (60%)
0.3 rpg (rebounds)
0.3 apg (assists)
1.30 spg (steals)
0.00 bpg (blocks)
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#64 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:22 am

I always thought Melo was smaller than that. Those assist numbers leave a lot to be desired.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#65 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:28 am

Marcus Georges-Hunt seems like a jack of all trades two way player. Supposedly a bunch of teams put in a waiver claim on him. Hope he gets a decent shot with us.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 667

Post#66 » by Movics » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:51 pm

I hardly see any of those guys making the roster. They are all training camp bodies.
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#67 » by Oriole8159 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:07 pm

Movics wrote:I hardly see any of those guys making the roster. They are all training camp bodies.

long term, you have to, have to, have to, be able to find and develop cheap, young talent like this.
I'm sure at some point pundits said the same thing about Jonathan Simmons, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Tyler Johnson, Hassan Whiteside, Randy Covington, Joe Ingles, Seth Curry, Kent Bazemore, Demarre Carroll, Wes Matthews, Patrick Beverley, Jeremy Lin, Trevor Ariza, Paul Millsap, etc etc etc.

Elite organizations embrace finding gems like that and it has alot to do with why they can sustain greatness even when their stars start to fade or they run into salary cap issues. if we want to be more than just a flash in the pan team, then mgmt needs to be focusing just as much time on finding and developing these gems.

You may be right, but at least they fit with what Thibs likes in his players and perhaps they can play a smaller role this year while developing but potentially take on a bigger role next year when we may be without Crawford and Belly on the wing. Even hitting on one of these though can make such a difference.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#68 » by karch34 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 am

Oriole8159 wrote:
Movics wrote:I hardly see any of those guys making the roster. They are all training camp bodies.

long term, you have to, have to, have to, be able to find and develop cheap, young talent like this.
I'm sure at some point pundits said the same thing about Jonathan Simmons, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Tyler Johnson, Hassan Whiteside, Randy Covington, Joe Ingles, Seth Curry, Kent Bazemore, Demarre Carroll, Wes Matthews, Patrick Beverley, Jeremy Lin, Trevor Ariza, Paul Millsap, etc etc etc.

Elite organizations embrace finding gems like that and it has alot to do with why they can sustain greatness even when their stars start to fade or they run into salary cap issues. if we want to be more than just a flash in the pan team, then mgmt needs to be focusing just as much time on finding and developing these gems.

You may be right, but at least they fit with what Thibs likes in his players and perhaps they can play a smaller role this year while developing but potentially take on a bigger role next year when we may be without Crawford and Belly on the wing. Even hitting on one of these though can make such a difference.

Exactly. Financially we can't have 15 roster spots with proven NBA talent. They'll be more misses than hits, but you have to look for guys that can develop into role players. If they can do one thing on an elite level somewhere down the line it's worth the effort.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#69 » by southern wolf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 am

I heard Dunleavy mentioned. He's pretty old, but he might be a better bet than some of these minimum guys at this point.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#70 » by andyhop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 am

southern wolf wrote:I heard Dunleavy mentioned. He's pretty old, but he might be a better bet than some of these minimum guys at this point.

And given the Crawford signing it isn't like our standards for vets are very high
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#71 » by southern wolf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

andyhop wrote:
southern wolf wrote:I heard Dunleavy mentioned. He's pretty old, but he might be a better bet than some of these minimum guys at this point.

And given the Crawford signing it isn't like our standards for vets are very high

What's wrong with Crawford?
andyhop
Analyst

Post#72 » by andyhop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 pm

southern wolf wrote:
andyhop wrote:

He is a pretty terrible basketball player at this stage in his career
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
neminnfan
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#73 » by neminnfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 pm

andyhop wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
andyhop wrote:

At this stage?

His FG% 3P-FG% and assists per game were his highest in three years. He can still shoot. If you like the idea of Crawford on this team in 2015, you should like your idea of Crawford on this team this year. If you didn't, I can't help you.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,538

Post#74 » by AirP. » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 pm

andyhop wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Is he? I get he's not as good as he once was but 12.3 pts on 10.6 shots on 36% 3pt% and 53% TS% isn't terrible, it's actually near the league average and he's making a little over 4 million a year?
andyhop
Analyst

Post#75 » by andyhop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am

AirP. wrote:
andyhop wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

Is he? I get he's not as good as he once was but 12.3 pts on 10.6 shots on 36% 3pt% and 53% TS% isn't terrible, it's actually near the league average and he's making a little over 4 million a year?

Yes he is both BPM and RPM have him as a subreplacement level player which isn't surprising when you are an offense only player who isnt good at offense
andyhop
Analyst

Post#76 » by andyhop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

neminnfan wrote:
andyhop wrote:
southern wolf wrote:

At this stage?

His FG% 3P-FG% and assists per game were his highest in three years. He can still shoot. If you like the idea of Crawford on this team in 2015, you should like your idea of Crawford on this team this year. If you didn't, I can't help you.

He was easily a better player in 2015 than now, go look at his numbers it isn't hard to see that.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,538

Post#77 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm

andyhop wrote:
AirP. wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Yes he is both BPM and RPM have him as a subreplacement level player which isn't surprising when you are an offense only player who isnt good at offense

J.Lucus III, Nate Robinson, DJ Augustine, A.Brooks all offensive only guards who didn't have height who all were "done" in the NBA as contributors yet had their careers resurrected by Thibs playing to their strengths(ignore their bad defense and make them scorers when on the court). Going into this summer I had wondered who was the lower priced offensive guard he'd designate as his cheap scorer, J.Crawford was his pick. I trust Thibs at this point of knowing if the player's skillset will fit the role he's going to play for the team, especially with scoring guards that had pretty good success that other teams have given up on.

I'm expecting the 2nd team having J.Crawford as the main ballhandler/scorer, he was only ok, slighly less then that as a catch and shoot guy hitting 35% from 3pt range, but having the ball in his hands and pulling up for his own 3pt shot, that was just under 38%. His defense will be a problem but he'll do his job, outscore the guy he's guarding and expect the 2nd team defense to do their job.

I go off of advanced stats a lot because they do tell some of the story, sometimes a lot of the story but they usually don't differentiate between what's useful and what's not and how a player was utilized. His +/- took a hammering with Felton and A.Rivers were on the court with him, meaning they had the ball and not him and they're not good distributors. I believe Thibs will be giving the ball to Crawford when on the 2nd string which is playing to his strengths.

Thibs seems to be a different type of coach, he comes up with what he thinks is the best plan for the team and sticks with it, he doesn't jerk players around in the rotation which can drastically change the team dynamic, he makes adjustments and works on the players' understanding of their role on the team. Very rarely have I seen him made a drastic change, the last one I remember was Mirotic's rookie year, he was too good to not get time(Gasol, Noah and Gibson were in front of him) so he moved him to the position that the FO didn't address, SF and the last 2 months of the season Mirotic was the best scorer in the 4th quarter in the NBA. The man knows how to utilize talent which made his 1st year odd, although he coached hard, he seemed to sit back and observe what the young players had which led to Wiggins getting the 2nd most shots in the NBA, something that probably won't be happening again anytime soon.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 pm

CRAP!!

The Miami Heat are finalizing a $1.5 million deal with Jordan Mickey.

The contract will have a team option for the 18-19 season.

Mickey was an early second round pick by the Boston Celtics in 2015. Mickey appeared sparingly in 41 games with the Celtics over the past two seasons.

He signed for the minimum and team option on the second year. Could have been ours.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#79 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Crap what?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#80 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 am

according to Wolfson on a podcast:

Wolves have officially handed out a contract offer to bazzy and Cunningham.

I was hoping for Allen, but I guess not.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves