ImageImageImage

New Era. New Free Agency Thread.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Re: New Era. New Free Agency Thread. 

Post#21 » by SaintS » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:41 am

Calinks wrote:Wait do we still have Payne?

no he's a FA
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#22 » by minimus » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:51 am

SaintS wrote:
minimus wrote:We need players who can shoot 3s and defend 3s. Monta Ellis is not this type of player.

Jamal is this type ?

Jamal Crawford is in top5 in list three-point field goals made leaders. And he is the NBA leader in career four-point plays. Jamaal is already in our roster. So to balance current we need players who can make 3s and defend 3s.
SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#23 » by SaintS » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:05 am

minimus wrote:
SaintS wrote:
minimus wrote:We need players who can shoot 3s and defend 3s. Monta Ellis is not this type of player.

Jamal is this type ?

Jamal Crawford is in top5 in list three-point field goals made leaders. And he is the NBA leader in career four-point plays. Jamaal is already in our roster. So to balance current we need players who can make 3s and defend 3s.

I think that to give a chance to Monta will be better option that any other veteran pg-sg that are on the market.
And may be better that Tyus.

Jamal was good, but the main word was. I hope that he still has some fuel but i'm afraid
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,832

Post#24 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 4, 2017 2:18 pm

SaintS wrote:
minimus wrote:
SaintS wrote:Jamal is this type ?

I think that to give a chance to Monta will be better option that any other veteran pg-sg that are on the market.
And may be better that Tyus.

Jamal was good, but the main word was. I hope that he still has some fuel but i'm afraid

Afraid of what? Going into the season you can pencil Butler and Wiggins for 37+ minutes a night, put Teague down for 30 himself, that's 104 out of the 144 minutes a game at the PG, SG, SF positions. So you have roughly 40 or less minutes a night to spread out for backups at basically 3 positions, I'd pencil in Crawford for 20-24 of those minutes to help spread out the defense, now you're down to 16-20 minutes for 1 or 2 other rotational players which may or may not be on the roster as of now.

If you're looking to spread out the offense Crawford is a much better option then M.Ellis by leaps and bounds even with the difference in their ages.
Biggsohnasty
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#25 » by Biggsohnasty » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:49 pm

^ This is the kind of thinking that can screw a team. Sure let's hope Butler and Wiggins can play 37+ minutes (though I'd like to keep both in that 33-35 range but not worth arguing here) and Teague can play 30ish.

What happens when one gets banged up? What happens if one goes down and misses a month?

Build a roster that is good enough to sustain an injury. No there is no team that can withstand multiple top guys going down but if Butler or Teague or Wiggins goes down, get the guys that can hold the proverbial fort down for a time.

Maybe that simply isn't realistic given the scraps left at the free agent table but I hate the sentiment that because we have a few guys that can play a lot, we don't need to worry about adding players that can be useful still.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#26 » by Jammer » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:43 pm

There is a chance that Shabazz may decide to come back to the Wolves, for minimum, since he may end up comparing offers at minimum. Only Dallas or Chicago may have a need to throw some money his way.

On another note, today a reporter asked Tony Allen who had reached out, and Tony mentioned the Nets, Knicks, Raptors and Wolves. The Nets are fairly deep at SG, so that would not seem to offer much playing time. The Knicks and Raptors can also only offer minimum, like the Wolves, so the Wolves would seem to have a decent shot a landing Tony Allen (Gerald Green is probably one of the alternatives being recruited).

They could have some depth at wing yet.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#27 » by Foye » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:49 pm

Tony Allen would be great. Not a shooter but defensive mindset is never wrong.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#28 » by packforfreedom » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:04 pm

I didn't realize that last season Allen had a career high in

Spoiler:
Minutes per game
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#29 » by big3_8_19_21 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 8:12 pm

Gerald Henderson out for the season. That's another wing that would have been nice. Too bad. It's really starting to lean out on the FA market in terms of available players.

A few useful guys out there, but I hope we don't end up having to have guys like Alan Anderson or Anthony Morrow as regular rotation players.

Still looking for a PG and two wings, it seems. I think Doogie said we currently have an offer out there on someone? I'm worried about who's left though.

Dunleavy, Beasley, Tony Allen...not much else.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#30 » by Narf » Sat Aug 5, 2017 9:40 pm

I love Morrow as a 10th/11th man off the bench. Career 41% 3 point shooter and should be a competent defender with Thibs.

I think we're at that point for a bench 3/D player. Not like we're playing him 20 minutes a game unless there's injuries.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#31 » by southern wolf » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:37 am

There's still decent players out there unsigned. Lawson, Stuckey, Allen, Gerald Green, Shabazz, Bogut, Ellis. I'm surprised Tony Allen hasn't signed somewhere yet.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#32 » by shangrila » Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:55 am

southern wolf wrote:There's still decent players out there unsigned. Lawson, Stuckey, Allen, Gerald Green, Shabazz, Bogut, Ellis. I'm surprised Tony Allen hasn't signed somewhere yet.

If you believe the rumours he's got minimum offers from both the Wolves and Clippers but is holding out for more.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:30 pm

shangrila wrote:
southern wolf wrote:There's still decent players out there unsigned. Lawson, Stuckey, Allen, Gerald Green, Shabazz, Bogut, Ellis. I'm surprised Tony Allen hasn't signed somewhere yet.

If you believe the rumours he's got minimum offers from both the Wolves and Clippers but is holding out for more.

Don't you think if someone was willing to pay him more it would have happened already.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,932

Post#34 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:24 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Don't you think if someone was willing to pay him more it would have happened already.

Doesn't mean it isn't true that he's waiting to see if a bigger offer will come. There's no downside for him to waiting at this point.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:If you believe the rumours he's got minimum offers from both the Wolves and Clippers but is holding out for more.

Doesn't mean it isn't true that he's waiting to see if a bigger offer will come. There's no downside for him to waiting at this point.

Yes their is downside. If somebody does offer him more he won't join us most likely. :x
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,932

Post#36 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Don't you think if someone was willing to pay him more it would have happened already.

Yes their is downside. If somebody does offer him more he won't join us most likely. :x

To repeat what you just told me.....Don't you think if someone was willing to pay him more it would have happened already?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#37 » by jmoy » Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Doesn't mean it isn't true that he's waiting to see if a bigger offer will come. There's no downside for him to waiting at this point.

To repeat what you just told me.....Don't you think if someone was willing to pay him more it would have happened already?

The only downside I see for Allen is he may have to go to a team he is less interested in playing for but, since he hasn't signed with Minnesota or anyone else, I don't think he is fired up to play with anyone he has spoken to yet. So, if he doesn't care a whole lot who he plays for, he may as well wait and see if someone offers more than the min.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#38 » by King Malta » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:43 am

Nobody really knows what his motivations are or what decision he'll make if other offers come.

If somebody like Brooklyn, for example, offers him slightly more than us but he feels he'd rather be part of a a stronger team he may still choose to sign with us, or he may choose to take the more financially beneficial offer. Him waiting isn't really indicative of anything yet, both us and the Clippers need wing players and that need won't change anytime soon for the contract we're offering so it's not surprising he's in no rush.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#39 » by shangrila » Mon Aug 7, 2017 10:36 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:

That's what the rumours say. Believe them or don't, makes no difference to me.

But if it's true, it makes sense. It's not like he has to be on a roster this very second nor will the minimum offers disappear. So he can wait, see if any of the few teams left with capspace are interested and if not take his pick of the other offers.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#40 » by Pass_the_rock » Mon Aug 7, 2017 12:06 pm

Narf wrote:I love Morrow as a 10th/11th man off the bench. Career 41% 3 point shooter and should be a competent defender with Thibs.

I think we're at that point for a bench 3/D player. Not like we're playing him 20 minutes a game unless there's injuries.

What does that even mean? A player is either competent or not. Were KAT, LaVine, Wiggins competent defenders under Thibs? What's next ? Thibs cures cancer?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves