Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#101 » by Oriole8159 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Oriole8159 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I found this posted on August 8 saying that Duffy will meet with the Wolves next week so if that remains accurate they could be meeting right now.

Of course, it would be ridiculous for Wiggins’ agent, Bill Duffy, who will reportedly meet with Taylor next week, to agree to a clause in his contract that would require him to improve through 2024. The National Basketball Players’ Association almost certainly would throw a fit over such an agreement. But promising the owner in a face-to-face meeting that you will at least try is something of a start.

I think you might be reading too much into this.
I think it's more along the lines of...
"We know we have your restricted rights next offseason so we know we can match any offer any other team gives you, and that we're already comfortable doing that.
Thus, we know we don't HAVE TO give you a max contract before this season for fear of losing you. We're willing though to give this to you now as a sign of good faith and to let you know we value you as a part of a future, but in turn we ask that you commit to becoming a more well rounded player."

It's a very reasonable request considering we have the leverage in my opinion. I'm sure it's not intending to be any kind of measurable metric that he nor the players union would get upset about, but moreso just to look each other in the eyes and put our cards on the table.

The second paragraph had nothing to do with me. I was just copying and pasting an excerpt from an article. The only reason I did that was to show that supposedly Duffy was meeting with the Wolves this week. I wanted to see if anybody could confirm that meeting taking place.

oh, my bad then.
thanks for clarifying.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#102 » by KGdaBom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Oriole8159 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Oriole8159 wrote:
I think you might be reading too much into this.
I think it's more along the lines of...
"We know we have your restricted rights next offseason so we know we can match any offer any other team gives you, and that we're already comfortable doing that.
Thus, we know we don't HAVE TO give you a max contract before this season for fear of losing you. We're willing though to give this to you now as a sign of good faith and to let you know we value you as a part of a future, but in turn we ask that you commit to becoming a more well rounded player."

It's a very reasonable request considering we have the leverage in my opinion. I'm sure it's not intending to be any kind of measurable metric that he nor the players union would get upset about, but moreso just to look each other in the eyes and put our cards on the table.

The second paragraph had nothing to do with me. I was just copying and pasting an excerpt from an article. The only reason I did that was to show that supposedly Duffy was meeting with the Wolves this week. I wanted to see if anybody could confirm that meeting taking place.

oh, my bad then.
thanks for clarifying.

NP now to see if anybody has an answer to my query. Is Duffy in Mpls.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#103 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 am

Read on Twitter

didnt think players could work with coaches yet.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#104 » by theGreatRC » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:08 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

There's nothing against that, is there? Both under contract with the Wolves, Wiggins probably wants the guru to tell him what he needs to do to reach his potential
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#105 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 am

Did wiggins end up signing that extension?
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#106 » by theGreatRC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:18 am

Dupp wrote:Did wiggins end up signing that extension?

Nope. Glen Taylor offered the full 5 years 148M contract, but Taylor wanted to have a face to face conversation with Wiggins & Wiggs agent is supposed to come in town and all of us don't really know what's the hold up and why the agent isn't making this huge contract his #1 priority over whatever the hell he's doing right now
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,525

Post#107 » by AirP. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Dupp wrote:Did wiggins end up signing that extension?

Nope. Glen Taylor offered the full 5 years 148M contract, but Taylor wanted to have a face to face conversation with Wiggins & Wiggs agent is supposed to come in town and all of us don't really know what's the hold up and why the agent isn't making this huge contract his #1 priority over whatever the hell he's doing right now

He's going to get the max, if not in Minnesota then somewhere else. Potential is a hell of an attribute.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,525

Post#108 » by AirP. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

There's nothing against that, is there? Both under contract with the Wolves, Wiggins probably wants the guru to tell him what he needs to do to reach his potential

He should have got that at his exit meeting.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#109 » by YourBuddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think there is a limit on the amount of players can attend a workout with coaches, and I'm pretty sure there is also a limit on how many total workouts an individual player can have with the coaching staff.
Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

Post#110 » by Rashoismydad » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 pm

So, is Wiggins Kobe offensively?

http://bkref.com/tiny/ZF7ZQ

When you look at the individual offensive metrics they are astoundingly close. Per 100 possessions their FGA/FMG/FTA/FG%/3FG% are basically identical. Overall the only thing that differentiates them is the rebounding/assist numbers, a common complaint about Wiggins, and the team win reliant stats. Kobe came into a team with prime Shaq, so he gets a huge edge in the win column which helps further tilt some of the VORPs and winshares etc. Assuming the wolves take a nice jump in wins we should expect some of those stats to inflate regardless of Wiggins performance. Having Butler may make him the third option, and having more talent on the team to draw attention should hopefully open some things up for him. A slightly limited number of shots could potentially lead to the same number of points if those shots are made easier by better players around him. Theres a million reasons to be hopeful about Wiggins and what he could potentially be, weve all seen more than enough flashes to see what he is capable of if he put it all together consistently. But the single biggest thing holding Wiggins back has been his demeanor and aggressiveness. If you put Kobes brain in Wiggins body it would be game over. If it ever clicks for him and he stops being sleepy, thats when he becomes a superstar. Maybe its just one of those things where hes inactive because hes unsure of what he should be doing. If that is the case then becoming comfortable in a system and simply suffering through the learning process leads to it all clicking. But my fear is he is merely not a strong competitor, and while he may enjoy what he is doing he doesnt have the NEED to win, the NEED to grab that rebound, the NEED to chase a guy down on a break to contest. That worries me because I dont know how you ever change that.
Shadilay
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#111 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 am

It looks like the delay was about Wiggins and his agent.

After agent Bill Duffy negotiated a five-year, $148 million maximum contract extension for forward Andrew Wiggins with the Minnesota Timberwolves, it is unclear how quickly Wiggins will sign the deal after he filed papers to sever ties with his representation at BDA Sports.

Minnesota management sent BDA Sports' Bill Duffy and Wiggins a contract for a rookie extension deal, but Wiggins filed paperwork Tuesday with the National Basketball Players Association to terminate his relationship with the agency, Duffy told ESPN.

Duffy, the chairman of BDA Sports and one of the league's most prominent player agents, told ESPN on Tuesday that he had recently been made aware of rival agencies and potential start-up enterprises who were recruiting Wiggins with inducements that included no commission fees on contracts.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20421906/andrew-wiggins-minnesota-timberwolves-splits-bda-sports-putting-contract-extension-hold

Duffy has really been struggling with his clientele list since the 90's.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#112 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 am

Read on Twitter

Looks like he wants to go Canadian. This timing is weird considering that Duffy and and Taylor are in the same country club.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Wiggins fires agent.... 

Post#113 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Re: Wiggins fires agent.... 

Post#114 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 am

walk with me wrote:Kind of sketchy that this happens only a few hours after the Kyrie trade.

Not if you actually read why it happened.

Duffy, the chairman of BDA Sports and one of the league's most prominent player agents, told ESPN on Tuesday he had recently been made aware of rival agencies and potential start-up enterprises that were recruiting Wiggins with inducements that included no commission fees on contracts.

Commission fees can be as high as $5,920,000 on Wiggins' max contract.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#115 » by TooBad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:36 am

My sources are telling me that Andrew Wiggins will sign with Mike George of Excel Sports Management.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#116 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:37 am

TooBad wrote:My sources are telling me that Andrew Wiggins will sign with Mike George of Excel Sports Management.

This is all about that CIA Bounce and Canada connection.

Wiggins easily becomes the biggest fish in George's pond and he is going to use Wiggins to make a name for himself at ESM.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#117 » by theGreatRC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
TooBad wrote:My sources are telling me that Andrew Wiggins will sign with Mike George of Excel Sports Management.

Wiggins easily becomes the biggest fish in George's pond and he is going to use Wiggins to make a name for himself at ESM.

For the next few years, we're going to hear about Wiggins & his agent dead set on going to the Raptors once his contract is up. Might be a Paul George situation in 4 years.

I like Wiggins and hope that he stays, but out of our young big 3 (KAT, Zach, Wiggs), I always felt Wiggins would be the first to leave even if he never said anything to make me believe that.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#118 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

For the next few years, we're going to hear about Wiggins & his agent dead set on going to the Raptors once his contract is up. Might be a Paul George situation in 4 years.

I like Wiggins and hope that he stays, but out of our young big 3 (KAT, Zach, Wiggs), I always felt Wiggins would be the first to leave even if he never said anything to make me believe that.

If that's the case, I think they'd try to address it before it became an issue....2019 being a prime opportunity with all the other contract situations. Wiggins would still have three years before a possible opt-out, so Minnesota should conceivably be able to get solid enough value for a 24-year old locked in for three years.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#119 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

I think its the opposite, he wouldnt need a canadian agent to facilitate a deal to toronto. I think this is about familiarity for him and his family.

George was his AAU coach and advisor to most of the up and coming canadian talent until he decided to become a basketball agent. Wiggins parents have always had friends or family members around him that they could trust and Duffy was once removed (likely through Nash). Even the guy handling all his personal affairs, isnt some high end professional, its a guy who worked with him since high school that the family knows and trusts. He even went to Kansas because his brother was close by at Wichita.

He probably didnt feel the love from Duffy (which isnt a stretch when it takes more than a month to set up a meet to sign a max deal), so went with someone who will cater and look out for him.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#120 » by minimus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:19 am

So it is 148mil/5yrs? I hope they agreed on some incentives.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves