ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#1201 » by Dewey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Domejandro wrote:I keep repeating this over and over, by why do people just ignore the fact that maybe he just has poor hand-eye coordination? The is as much an athletic skill as endurance, vertical, and strength.

yep - I agree they are a dime a dozen at youth level, then weed themselves out every level higher into college or NBA.

I would suggest much of it is tied to the ability to handle the ball when changing speed - those who can change speed, change direction, use their body, adjust dribble height, change dribble speed, etc simply have the skill - Some just don't have the motor skills and never will.

This is the NBA - not a discussion that should be had. but the way I see it, is when you're drafting on potential, you're rolling the dice and hoping things work out.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1202 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:51 am

It's one big giant excuse machine for the new coach I guess. He was supposed to fix it all because it was all Thibs holding WIggins back. Anyone remember? Thibs made Wiggins irrelevant, remember?

Now it's just WIggins is worthless talk and this new coach gets a free pass.

If Ryan asked Wiggins to stop taking any 2s, short and long, and focus on finishing with slams and 3 pt shots, than we would already see him attempting just that. Nope, ddn't happen. No slashing, no slamming, just the same old separation jumpers and an occasional off balance 3. The new coach didn't have him do anything different because the new coach is exactly who was "developing" him as an assistant previously. Nevermind, back to the excuse machine. Wiggins isn't avoiding contact and flinching when contact is coming, and the new coach is doing everything right so the players must suck.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#1203 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 am

Who said he was supposed to fix it all?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1204 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:33 am

Jedzz wrote:It's one big giant excuse machine for the new coach I guess. He was supposed to fix it all because it was all Thibs holding WIggins back. Anyone remember? Thibs made Wiggins irrelevant, remember?

Now it's just WIggins is worthless talk and this new coach gets a free pass.

If Ryan asked Wiggins to stop taking any 2s, short and long, and focus on finishing with slams and 3 pt shots, than we would already see him attempting just that. Nope, ddn't happen. No slashing, no slamming, just the same old separation jumpers and an occasional off balance 3. The new coach didn't have him do anything different because the new coach is exactly who was "developing" him as an assistant previously. Nevermind, back to the excuse machine. Wiggins isn't avoiding contact and flinching when contact is coming, and the new coach is doing everything right so the players must suck.

Changes dont happen overnight.

Saunders is still using the same sets as thibs used. You cant expect the players to change and unlearn everything thats been grilled into them the past 3 years.

The wolves are staying afloat with all these injuries. They havent been world beaters but they are playing better than .500 ball without 2 starters for most of the games since the butler deal.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1205 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Saunders is still using the same sets as thibs used. You cant expect the players to change and unlearn everything thats been grilled into them the past 3 years.

The wolves are staying afloat with all these injuries. They havent been world beaters but they are playing better than .500 ball without 2 starters for most of the games since the butler deal.

I've got no big issues with how Ryan has handled things overall and that's not the discussion here. I agree with you, it can't all change immediately.

But the fact is he has been changing some of the things Thibs was very stubborn and wrong about. Ryan is using the depth of the roster. Thibs barely even would when forced to by injuries. This is a major adjustment. Couple more differences but what Wiggins is directed to do is the biggest mistake that has carried forward with no change. It is this topic on Wiggins I speak about in the Andrew Wiggins thread. I'm not speaking about everything Ryan and the team is doing. He could adjust what he is asking Wiggins to do. He could be focusing a lot of time and effort on correcting this major issue. He hasn't, and my guess is because Wiggins is doing what Ryan always has worked with him to do.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1206 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

I've got no big issues with how Ryan has handled things overall and that's not the discussion here. I agree with you, it can't all change immediately.

But the fact is he has been changing some of the things Thibs was very stubborn and wrong about. Ryan is using the depth of the roster. Thibs barely even would when forced to by injuries. This is a major adjustment. Couple more differences but what Wiggins is directed to do is the biggest mistake that has carried forward with no change. It is this topic on Wiggins I speak about in the Andrew Wiggins thread. I'm not speaking about everything Ryan and the team is doing. He could adjust what he is asking Wiggins to do. He could be focusing a lot of time and effort on correcting this major issue. He hasn't, and my guess is because Wiggins is doing what Ryan always has worked with him to do.

This was a reply to doris burke ripping wiggs a new one for constantly going to the corner and staying there.

Read on Twitter

Hes a former advanced scout and video guy in the nba. Btw, hes got some really educational videos breaking down each team through the eyes of an nba coach.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#1207 » by TaylorTag » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

This was a reply to doris burke ripping wiggs a new one for constantly going to the corner and staying there.

Read on Twitter

Hes a former advanced scout and video guy in the nba. Btw, hes got some really educational videos breaking down each team through the eyes of an nba coach.

this makes a ton of sense and passes the eye test (at least for me anyways).

On a side note, I would like to see Wiggins' stats at the rim. I swear Wiggins misses every shot at the rim when he's fouled. Would like to see him be strong and fight through those fouls. I have a feeling that's part of the reason Wiggins doesn't attack the rim that much. He knows there is a more than 50 percent chance that he will either lose his handle or get fouled without an And1 opportunity.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1208 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Read on Twitter

Good find. I too see a difference in what could be asked of him and what is being asked of him. The passivity is real, we know it. But I think it's been coached into him by what they want him doing. He wouldn't avoid it completely like he does now unless someone told him to do otherwise. We know from a lot of minutes RoCo played here that on this team a player slashing really can work. RoCo had some impressive games when he showed us a little of that mixed with 3s and D, and nothing fires up the rest of the players as much.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1209 » by King Malta » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 am

We know for a fact that Saunders is trying to coach the long two out of the team and Wiggins still takes them like it's the best shot in basketball.

I'm beginning to believe he's just a bust and that's all there is to it. Done hoping for something to change. At least we'll get 10 or 12 monster games out of him a year I guess.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1210 » by minimus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:07 am

A point forward Wiggins is back?
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1211 » by Guidus88 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 am

minimus wrote:A point forward Wiggins is back?

Hoping the best, but expecting the worse...

However, In the 4th quarter it was evident that Andrew was having fun running the point, involve all the teammates...this led him to play with a lot of energy and to be more efficient both offensively and defensively. He just felt important and in fact, at the end of the game, when Ryan called him back to the bench it seems that he was really proud of himself.

This could really be the key, and the last shot, Ryan has to make Wiggs feel important.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1212 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm

King Malta wrote:We know for a fact that Saunders is trying to coach the long two out of the team and Wiggins still takes them like it's the best shot in basketball.

I'm beginning to believe he's just a bust and that's all there is to it. Done hoping for something to change. At least we'll get 10 or 12 monster games out of him a year I guess.

The "long two" hasn't been Wiggins only problem. The 5 to 10 misses on short 2s a game, 1-2-3 footer evens, really smart. Early in this game he popped up the ugliest 8ft jumper. Maybe you could call it a jumper/floater/ugly something. He doesn't make many of those unless he's in a good rhythm and goes on a little streak.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1213 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Guidus88 wrote:

However, In the 4th quarter it was evident that Andrew was having fun running the point, involve all the teammates...this led him to play with a lot of energy and to be more efficient both offensively and defensively. He just felt important and in fact, at the end of the game, when Ryan called him back to the bench it seems that he was really proud of himself.

This could really be the key, and the last shot, Ryan has to make Wiggs feel important.

Great. So now our 6-9 athletic freak no longer wants to be a big 2, he wants to be the PG? Didn't Thibs try that two years back? Whatever works.

Tyus is really going to have to find a new team soon at this pace.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#1214 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Wiggins playing the point was because we had 1 healthy PG. It was out of desperation mostly, although seemed to work out OK.
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1215 » by Guidus88 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Guidus88 wrote:

Great. So now our 6-9 athletic freak no longer wants to be a big 2, he wants to be the PG? Didn't Thibs try that two years back? Whatever works.

Although english is not my main language, I think that the meaning of my post is crystal clear. However, I'll try to explain again, with different words.

I point out that I have almost given up on Wiggs and, as of now, I would trade him in a heart beat for a player like Otto Porter.

Having said this, I'm not saying that wiggs has to be a full time PG, I'm saying that wiggs needs to feel important.
During the 4th quarter, with 3 PG out due to injury (LOL) Ryan gave him the responsibility to run the point and something clicked in his head. He started to play with positive energy. The result was: 9pts (4/7) 3r 2a.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#1216 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1217 » by minimus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1218 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am

Guidus88 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Guidus88 wrote:

Although english is not my main language, I think that the meaning of my post is crystal clear. However, I'll try to explain again, with different words.

I point out that I have almost given up on Wiggs and, as of now, I would trade him in a heart beat for a player like Otto Porter.

Having said this, I'm not saying that wiggs has to be a full time PG, I'm saying that wiggs needs to feel important.
During the 4th quarter, with 3 PG out due to injury (LOL) Ryan gave him the responsibility to run the point and something clicked in his head. He started to play with positive energy. The result was: 9pts (4/7) 3r 2a.

I have nothing against your post and I understood it just fine. I just made a comment on how nuts it is with WIggins that at first the problem was that he was more a 2 than a 3 and supposedly that engaged him more. The slope slips further now to on ball point Wiggins to keep him engaged. That's just my comment on the whole scenario. I'm a realist and understand why we are stuck with him for now and that's why I said "whatever works". Because I get what you are saying. Make something work.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1219 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Klomp wrote:Who said he was supposed to fix it all?

Why should we bother to read your questions like this?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#1220 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 am

I think Wiggins is a clear example of athleticism without much skill. His hands are terrible for an NBA player. Constantly getting his pocket picked in traffic and missing around the rim. The big problem is that he's making max money for 4 1/2 more years.
If he was making half of what he is, It would still be a problem and he would still need to be traded.

Saturday at Utah he took 26 FGA, 7 FTA, and had 5 turnovers. That amounts to 34 possesions and he ended up with 21 points and 3 assists. That's a typical line for him this year. You cant have that on your team and expect to win. He is worse with a higher usage rate than he was when Jimmy was here and he stood in a corner.
And he's not listening to his coach because he still takes a ton of long twos.

If Wiggins ever turns into a successful player its going to take a lot of structure and simplification. Either he is a spot up shooter or you run a play for him where he can attack the middle of the floor off a pick from the left side.

Right now, I'd like to see if we can take advantage of the chaos in Memphis and unload him for Chandler Parson contract so we waste 3 fewer years of KAT's time here and hope we can be good enough eventually to sign him to a 3rd contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves