ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#261 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:11 pm

Narf wrote:There are legal issues with signing his contract extension after firing his agent. I'm not 100% on it, but my understanding is his ex-agent will sue Wiggins for "his cut" and delaying signing the contract is a way to insulate himself from that.

Bill Duffy doesn't need to sue Wiggins for his cut. If I understand this correctly he gets the money automatically. Wiggins would have to sue to stop Duffy from getting his cut.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#262 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:58 pm

AirP. wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:He might just be waiting to sign the contract on his mother's birthday. Family is important to him, so giving her that gift would be quite the thank you.

Remember while Mitch was playing professional ball, it was his mother raising him and developing those athletic gifts and basketball.

And if he has a horrible injury? It's dangerous out there. Timberwolves fans watched LaVine go down last year, Bulls fans watched D.Rose who was the youngest MVP and went down and really was never the same. The only downside for Minnesota(which I guess some fans are worried about) since he can be a restricted free agent is that he just accepts the qualifying offer and becomes a free agent the summer of 2019 with Minnesota getting zero compensation.

Not saying it's a bright move, just throwing a suggestion out there.

He won't reach restricted status, he has until the first game to sign.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#263 » by Narf » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Narf wrote:There are legal issues with signing his contract extension after firing his agent. I'm not 100% on it, but my understanding is his ex-agent will sue Wiggins for "his cut" and delaying signing the contract is a way to insulate himself from that.

Bill Duffy doesn't need to sue Wiggins for his cut. If I understand this correctly he gets the money automatically. Wiggins would have to sue to stop Duffy from getting his cut.

I thought that if Wiggins signs a new agent after X time and then signs a max contract extension then Duffy's cut is now replaced by the new agent's cut.

I have absolutely no good data on this and can't remember where I'd read this so clearly not something I'm putting weight behind. But it's the only thing I've heard that makes any sense.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#264 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:39 pm

Narf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I thought that if Wiggins signs a new agent after X time and then signs a max contract extension then Duffy's cut is now replaced by the new agent's cut.

I have absolutely no good data on this and can't remember where I'd read this so clearly not something I'm putting weight behind. But it's the only thing I've heard that makes any sense.

It's in the collective bargaining agreement or something like that. Any agent is paid for services provided prior to termination. Duffy negotiated the contract that you or I with the help of an accountant could have negotiated. Maybe if Wiggins negotiates a new contract where he is not paid as much then he can get out of playing Duffy, However, a max contract seems cut and dried that Duffy will get paid.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#265 » by shangrila » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Narf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Bill Duffy doesn't need to sue Wiggins for his cut. If I understand this correctly he gets the money automatically. Wiggins would have to sue to stop Duffy from getting his cut.

It's in the collective bargaining agreement or something like that. Any agent is paid for services provided prior to termination. Duffy negotiated the contract that you or I with the help of an accountant could have negotiated. Maybe if Wiggins negotiates a new contract where he is not paid as much then he can get out of playing Duffy, However, a max contract seems cut and dried that Duffy will get paid.

I wonder how that would work. Like, could Wiggins sign a max contract offer minus a dollar and screw Duffy out of his cut?

That would be amusing. Petty, but amusing.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#266 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:26 pm

shangrila wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Narf wrote:I thought that if Wiggins signs a new agent after X time and then signs a max contract extension then Duffy's cut is now replaced by the new agent's cut.

I wonder how that would work. Like, could Wiggins sign a max contract offer minus a dollar and screw Duffy out of his cut?

That would be amusing. Petty, but amusing.

I'm sure that wouldn't fly. Also it is possible that unless he were able to get a better offer it doesn't matter what he signs for Duffy will be paid his cut based on Max. Wiggins doesn't have to pay Duffy. Duffy is paid his share directly from the team. If it's 4% of 150 million that is 6 million.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#267 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:28 pm

Honestly, none of us really know anything about the negotiations and the agent cuts at this point. It's all speculation. I'll wait and see what happens when the deal is signed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#268 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:44 pm

Klomp wrote:Honestly, none of us really know anything about the negotiations and the agent cuts at this point. It's all speculation. I'll wait and see what happens when the deal is signed.

If what I read regarding this was accurate we have full knowledge regarding the negotiations. It is a straight 5 year max and Duffy gets the percentage that he and Wiggins agreed to. I think it was 4%. This is off the top of my head, but it was all supposed to be absolutely cut and dried.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#269 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Honestly, none of us really know anything about the negotiations and the agent cuts at this point. It's all speculation. I'll wait and see what happens when the deal is signed.

If what I read regarding this was accurate we have full knowledge regarding the negotiations. It is a straight 5 year max and Duffy gets the percentage that he and Wiggins agreed to. I think it was 4%. This is off the top of my head, but it was all supposed to be absolutely cut and dried.

If so, wouldn't it be signed already?
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#270 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 7, 2017 12:05 am

No because Wiggins is being very strange.. It was completely negotiated between Duffy and the team. Maybe Wiggins is trying to find a loophole.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#271 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Oct 7, 2017 10:42 pm

Or it's just Wiggins being Wiggins and we are reading too much into things.

An interview with him in China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/10/07/andrew-wiggins-no-rush-long-term-extension-definitely-wants-minnesota/742563001/

If not for Wiggins’ glowing review on all things T-Wolves, the alarm bells would be ringing loudly here. But when asked if he had any doubts about Minnesota being the place for him, he said, “This is definitely where I want to be; definitely where I want to be.” And when asked if he would eventually sign the deal, he said, “Ah, eventually. I’m just going to take it day by day. There’s no rush to do it. We’re going through preseason and I’m all the way here in China.”
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 7, 2017 11:28 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Or it's just Wiggins being Wiggins and we are reading too much into things.

An interview with him in China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/10/07/andrew-wiggins-no-rush-long-term-extension-definitely-wants-minnesota/742563001/

If not for Wiggins’ glowing review on all things T-Wolves, the alarm bells would be ringing loudly here. But when asked if he had any doubts about Minnesota being the place for him, he said, “This is definitely where I want to be; definitely where I want to be.” And when asked if he would eventually sign the deal, he said, “Ah, eventually. I’m just going to take it day by day. There’s no rush to do it. We’re going through preseason and I’m all the way here in China.”

I'm really surprised people expect Wiggins to sign his extension while the team is in China.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 7, 2017 11:31 pm

AirP. wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:He might just be waiting to sign the contract on his mother's birthday. Family is important to him, so giving her that gift would be quite the thank you.

Remember while Mitch was playing professional ball, it was his mother raising him and developing those athletic gifts and basketball.

And if he has a horrible injury? It's dangerous out there. Timberwolves fans watched LaVine go down last year, Bulls fans watched D.Rose who was the youngest MVP and went down and really was never the same. The only downside for Minnesota(which I guess some fans are worried about) since he can be a restricted free agent is that he just accepts the qualifying offer and becomes a free agent the summer of 2019 with Minnesota getting zero compensation.

An ACL injury wouldn't stop him from getting a max deal.

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#274 » by MN7725 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:06 am

krawczynski's "educated guess" on his latest podcast on the signing delay was Wiggins playing chicken trying to get wolves to give 5th year player option

timemark for that is 17:00 mins
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#275 » by Domejandro » Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:40 am

In all honesty, I am beginning to balk at the idea of giving Andrew Wiggins 5 years, 148 million dollars, that is an exuberant amount of money for what he brings to the table. Gun to my head, I do it, but I think we might be underselling how much we are going to be paying him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#276 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 8, 2017 7:11 am

Domejandro wrote:In all honesty, I am beginning to balk at the idea of giving Andrew Wiggins 5 years, 148 million dollars, that is an exuberant amount of money for what he brings to the table. Gun to my head, I do it, but I think we might be underselling how much we are going to be paying him.

You would think Wiggins would be exuberant about it while others might think it an exorbitant amount. :lol:
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#277 » by Domejandro » Sun Oct 8, 2017 7:36 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:In all honesty, I am beginning to balk at the idea of giving Andrew Wiggins 5 years, 148 million dollars, that is an exuberant amount of money for what he brings to the table. Gun to my head, I do it, but I think we might be underselling how much we are going to be paying him.

You would think Wiggins would be exuberant about it while others might think it an exorbitant amount. :lol:

:lol: I hate myself.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#278 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:51 pm

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

:lol: I hate myself.

:lol: :lol:
Just messing with you. Thanks for taking it well.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#279 » by AirP. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#280 » by Mattya » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 pm

“(Minnesota) is definitely where I want to be; definitely where I want to be.” And when asked if he would eventually sign the deal, he said, “Ah, eventually. I’m just going to take it day by day. There’s no rush to do it. We’re going through preseason and I’m all the way here in China.”

From Wiggins himself. Clearly wants to be traded.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves