The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#301 » by walk with me » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Klomp wrote:
walk with me wrote:Is anyone concerned he won't live up to the deal? Not that the wolves had much of a choice...

I take a big picture approach with these rookie-scale max extensions. In most cases, it's not about if you're worth the first year of the deal but whether you'll be worth the last year of the deal.

Is he worth $25.3 million in 2018-19? Unlikely. Some would already say that means he's not living up to the deal. However, when this extension kicks in, he'll be 23 years old. Let him continue to grow and develop. Going into his last year, he'll be 27. Just getting to the prime of his career. I have little to no concern that he'll be worth a max contract by then.

Even if not, it's worth it to offer the deal because it means the team holds his rights until then, something very important for small-market franchises. Even if he wants out by the end, we can use him to bring more talent into the franchise, just like how we brought him in to begin with.

i like the point you make about how its valuable to the team. Once Kat is locked in the wolves will have a solid foundation for a long time once the old guard retires.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#302 » by C.lupus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Didn't smile; probably being forced at gunpoint to sign it against his will.

He's wearing black. Clearly in mourning.

Tango21
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#303 » by Tango21 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm

So all that whining and bitching from KGdabom was for nothing
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,717

Post#304 » by AirP. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:19 pm

walk with me wrote:
Klomp wrote:
walk with me wrote:Is anyone concerned he won't live up to the deal? Not that the wolves had much of a choice...

I take a big picture approach with these rookie-scale max extensions. In most cases, it's not about if you're worth the first year of the deal but whether you'll be worth the last year of the deal.

Is he worth $25.3 million in 2018-19? Unlikely. Some would already say that means he's not living up to the deal. However, when this extension kicks in, he'll be 23 years old. Let him continue to grow and develop. Going into his last year, he'll be 27. Just getting to the prime of his career. I have little to no concern that he'll be worth a max contract by then.

Even if not, it's worth it to offer the deal because it means the team holds his rights until then, something very important for small-market franchises. Even if he wants out by the end, we can use him to bring more talent into the franchise, just like how we brought him in to begin with.

i like the point you make about how its valuable to the team. Once Kat is locked in the wolves will have a solid foundation for a long time once the old guard retires.

The only problem is that Towns and Wiggins will no longer be on rookie contracts, 55-65 million dollars of the cap will be dedicated to those 2 guys, toss in Butler and that's 85-105 leaving very little money to put decent players around them. After trading LaVine, Dunn and a lottery pick, I don't expect Minnesota to only rent Butler for 2 years, I expect him here long term, 5-7 years since Minnesota has Bird rights on him.

With the team at/over the max, getting Shabazz to take less and go back to Minnesota was a HUGE long term move for the team since they still have his Bird rights. They're not going to be able to go out and get an asset like him in free agency anymore.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#305 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Didn't smile; probably being forced at gunpoint to sign it against his will.

He's wearing black. Clearly in mourning.

You made me laugh.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#306 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Tango21 wrote:So all that whining and bitching from KGdabom was for nothing

Tango when did I ever whine or bitch?
I don't think I did even one tiny bit of that. I just pointed out that it was very strange that Wiggins had not signed yet given all the opportunity he had to do so. I always said if you bothered actually reading my posts was that I expected Wiggins to sign the contract as is when all the dust settled. To say I was whining or bitching is absolutely barking up the wrong tree.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#307 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:29 pm

AirP. wrote:The only problem is that Towns and Wiggins will no longer be on rookie contracts, 55-65 million dollars of the cap will be dedicated to those 2 guys, toss in Butler and that's 85-105 leaving very little money to put decent players around them. After trading LaVine, Dunn and a lottery pick, I don't expect Minnesota to only rent Butler for 2 years, I expect him here long term, 5-7 years since Minnesota has Bird rights on him.

With the team at/over the max, getting Shabazz to take less and go back to Minnesota was a HUGE long term move for the team since they still have his Bird rights. They're not going to be able to go out and get an asset like him in free agency anymore.

Welcome to being a good team. If you would rather have a team that has $20 million cap space yearly, get ready for another 25 years in the lottery.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#308 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Thibodeau on Wiggins: “We feel strongly that he is just scratching the surface of the player he will become.”
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Presser in 15...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#310 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Klomp wrote:Presser in 15...

You got a link for it?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

You got a link for it?

Same link as always

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/live

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#312 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
AirP. wrote:The only problem is that Towns and Wiggins will no longer be on rookie contracts, 55-65 million dollars of the cap will be dedicated to those 2 guys, toss in Butler and that's 85-105 leaving very little money to put decent players around them. After trading LaVine, Dunn and a lottery pick, I don't expect Minnesota to only rent Butler for 2 years, I expect him here long term, 5-7 years since Minnesota has Bird rights on him.

Welcome to being a good team. If you would rather have a team that has $20 million cap space yearly, get ready for another 25 years in the lottery.

Total agreement and may I add I have no problem at all if Glen wants to go way into the luxury tax.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#313 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

You got a link for it?

Same link as always

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/live

TY
AirP.
RealGM

Post#314 » by AirP. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Klomp wrote:

Sure, they'll be a good team with all 3 of those guys with whoever you put with them. To be a championship team you need to hit all-star or better with all of them because of the lack of talent they'll have around them because of the cap. Even one of the top players of all time(LeBron) and a top tier scorer in Irving have only won 1 Championship together and LeBron, Wade and Bosh in their primes only won 2 championships in 4 years. I just watched 2 wing players that didn't really complement each other crash and burn in Chicago(Butler and Wade) I hope not to see it again in Butler and Wiggins. Either one of them would be greatly enhanced playing next to a 3&D player.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#316 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

AirP. wrote:Sure, they'll be a good team with all 3 of those guys with whoever you put with them. To be a championship team you need to hit all-star or better with all of them because of the lack of talent they'll have around them because of the cap. Even one of the top players of all time(LeBron) and a top tier scorer in Irving have only won 1 Championship together and LeBron, Wade and Bosh in their primes only won 2 championships in 4 years. I just watched 2 wing players that didn't really complement each other crash and burn in Chicago(Butler and Wade) I hope not to see it again in Butler and Wiggins. Either one of them would be greatly enhanced playing next to a 3&D player.

Can we worry about making the playoffs first?

This isn't Chicago. We haven't been gifted the GOAT or gifted the top pick at 1.7 percent odds with the hometown hero at the top of the draft. We've missed the playoffs in 75 percent of the franchise's history. Baby steps....

AirP.
RealGM

Post#317 » by AirP. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
AirP. wrote:Sure, they'll be a good team with all 3 of those guys with whoever you put with them. To be a championship team you need to hit all-star or better with all of them because of the lack of talent they'll have around them because of the cap. Even one of the top players of all time(LeBron) and a top tier scorer in Irving have only won 1 Championship together and LeBron, Wade and Bosh in their primes only won 2 championships in 4 years. I just watched 2 wing players that didn't really complement each other crash and burn in Chicago(Butler and Wade) I hope not to see it again in Butler and Wiggins. Either one of them would be greatly enhanced playing next to a 3&D player.

Can we worry about making the playoffs first?

This isn't Chicago. We haven't been gifted the GOAT or gifted the top pick at 1.7 percent odds with the hometown hero at the top of the draft. We've missed the playoffs in 75 percent of the franchise's history. Baby steps....

Yes, wasn't that odd that one of the 2 top picks was a Chicago product? Without that gift Chicago would have never got Thibs and would probably never been better then a little better then .500 team.

Not baby steps, this is what Thibs wanted to do last year, he didn't get him or another bigtime player so he did something very unThibs like, he didn't go out and get vets and allowed the young players show him what they could do, he even tried to move Rubio to give Jones/Dunn the ability to start last year but nobody would give up a 1st round pick and expiring for him. Thibs could have easily brought in a couple better vets to help the team and Minnesota may have gotten to .500, but you wouldn't have had the money available to do the big changes he wanted to do. This year for Minnesota is going to be what people expected to happen last year. I hate how small market teams have to suffer and now is Minnesota's time to shine and probably for most of the next decade.

I just watched Butler the last 2 years basically will the Bulls to win games when they absolutely should have lost. Minnesota has a great defender and closer in Butler, exactly what they were missing last year, that's got to be worth at least 10 wins if not more, the Timberwolves just had huge lapses during the game that shouldn't happen near the same rate.

The only problem Minnesota has is being in the West and how loaded the top teams there are. GS, Houston, OKC and SA are all probably championship caliber rosters also(some better then others) and then there's 5 very good teams behind those top 5 teams.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#318 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Let's talk smiles!

Read on Twitter

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#319 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

I just watched the presser and I thought that Wiggins came across pretty well. His explanation for not signing yet is that since he didn't have an agent he was just nervous he might make a mistake and screw something up. No hidden agendas and I will take him at his word for that. My suspicions put to rest.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#320 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Klomp wrote:Let's talk smiles!

Read on Twitter

Nice smiles LOL. :D

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves