ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#541 » by Narf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

If Wiggins just fixes his shot this offseason he's fine. Wiggins shooting 37% from 3 would be amazing for us.

I also think Wiggins is being told to focus only on this on D the same way Towns was told to go after every block. He's not "lazy" just like Towns wasn't going after every block because he had a low BBIQ. Thibs is telling him to play defense this way to improve his skillset as a player (just like Towns is now a competent shot blocker now).

Thibs is still trading wins for player development. I feel more confident that Wiggins is going to be a great defensively by the end of next year. What I don't know is if he'll fix his shot. That's the part I'm worried about.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,723

Post#542 » by AirP. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
AirP. wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Well if that's the case, and one of those greater fool teams will give up anything of value for him, then we should be exploring that option post haste.

Gotta extend Butler first. If you lose Butler for whatever reason, you need to go back to hoping Wiggins finally gets it.

If we lose Butler for nothing I think I'd rather blow it all up, sell everything for draft picks and begin another rebuild.

This team's ceiling is Towns, not Butler, not Wiggins... Towns. Losing Butler would be a huge blow of course, but Towns should be a dominate player for the next decade.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#543 » by Neeva » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Yes we should who would be one of these fool teams , brooklyn?? Sac??
I am done with Wiggins :banghead:

At this point I'd rather draft Miles bridges and wait for him to develop during KAt's prime than wait for wiggins to finally get a fire lit under his bum ass.
LordBaldric wrote:
AirP. wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Maybe. After this season Deng/Noah/Parsons will only have 2 years left on their deals while Wiggins' 5 year monster deal will just be kicking in. Given that you could replace Wiggins' production with someone making WAAAAAY less salary, you're looking at a ton of dead money over those 5 years- I'm talking like $75 to $100 million worth.

*Assuming he doesn't make a massive leap, that we would all hope would happen, but I'm not seeing it at this point.

True but it doesn't put him on course for worst contract. A bad contract, sure especially if you're a good team but there's a lot of bad teams that wouldn't mind taking a shot on him while they're rebuilding, they'll have capspace that they have to use, might as well chance it on someone like Wiggins instead of just overpaying vets to get to the team minimum(90% of the cap).

Well if that's the case, and one of those greater fool teams will give up anything of value for him, then we should be exploring that option post haste.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,862

Post#544 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 pm

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,815

Post#545 » by life_saver » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm

AirP. wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:
AirP. wrote:Gotta extend Butler first. If you lose Butler for whatever reason, you need to go back to hoping Wiggins finally gets it.

If we lose Butler for nothing I think I'd rather blow it all up, sell everything for draft picks and begin another rebuild.

This team's ceiling is Towns, not Butler, not Wiggins... Towns. Losing Butler would be a huge blow of course, but Towns should be a dominate player for the next decade.

agree...KAT is more important for Wolves future than any player on current team
Bolts
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Post#546 » by Bolts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 am

Wiggins would look better on another team. Four players work one side of the floor on offense and Wiggins gets told to go stand in the other corner. They don’t involve him. He is not Crawford but that’s what Thibs is trying to turn him into. Wiggins looked better year two or three posting his guy up in the lane.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#547 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:32 am

Kwame Brown, Bennett, Wiggins

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
titantron91
Junior
And1: 32

Post#548 » by titantron91 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:24 am

Well, at least Wiggins had many great games, unlike Kwame and Bennett.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#549 » by shangrila » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:54 am

ALICEinJAM wrote:Kwame Brown, Bennett, Wiggins

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He's nowhere near that bad, come on.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,815

Post#550 » by life_saver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Why does he play so passively? He started well yesterday with 3 from 3 but then later on nothing was going in
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#551 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 pm

upriser7 wrote:Why does he play so passively? He started well yesterday with 3 from 3 but then later on nothing was going on

Its the cornrows.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#552 » by beezy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 pm

A deep dive into metrics on Wiggins shows he's always been the same player. In summary he is a net negative player. We are winning because KAT, Butler and Taj are carrying Wiggins to wins that he could never produce on his own.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#553 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Changing from an individual scorer to a team player is the biggest problem for top picks. They were all #1 options on their college teams and now he has to be a lower level option. It is not Wiggins's skills but it is more about his mental adjustment to the game. It just takes more time. This is his first year where he has a legit wing star next to him/the team is playing serious games and he has to play off-ball. That is a very difficult task. You can't get into a rhythm like a top option.

If Wiggins become the top option and Butler is made to just defend/play off-ball, how will that work for Wiggins or Butler? This is just not easy as we think and all the stats show the worst aspects of his game which is the off-ball game.

Would Lavine be different? He also doesn't know how to play off-ball. When you start looking for off-ball players, you start looking at role players like Ariza. They are limited in their potential and growth. It is possible to learn the off-ball game but much tougher to be the option who can create his own shots if necessary. Even Wade/Bosh after 7-8 years in the league had a tough time adjusting to playing off-ball with LeBron in 2011.

Unfortunately, this is a ugly process of learning to play off-ball and Wiggins looks completely lost. I think Wiggins needs another training camp/summer to figure out his role with Jimmy/KAT.
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#554 » by beezy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm

It's always going to be "just wait for next year" with Wiggins.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#555 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 pm

beezy wrote:It's always going to be "just wait for next year" with Wiggins.

You have to be honest with your analysis. This is the first time in his life he has played a role where he doesn't have the ball(most of his on-court time). He has to move differently on the court and that impacts everything including rebounds/shots etc...

And, Teague/Jimmy hold on to the ball a lot. It takes time for both sides(Jimmy/Teague and Wiggins) to figure out how to play with each other. I would assume they will be better after the all-star break atleast a little bit.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#556 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am

Crazy to think it but Dunn may wind up better than Wiggins when its all said and done.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#557 » by Narf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 am

Calinks wrote:Crazy to think it but Dunn may wind up better than Wiggins when its all said and done.

If Wiggins shot is permanently broken, any NBA player will be better than him. He looked like he was finally becoming a good outside shooter last year then his shot just broke.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#558 » by Foye » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Reality is he has been poor this season. I have always been a supporter but he needs to get out of his comfort zone. He is simply not putting enough effort in.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RealGM Forums
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#559 » by wildvikeswolves » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Calinks wrote:Crazy to think it but Dunn may wind up better than Wiggins when its all said and done.

Sad thought but true. All 3 guys we sent in the deal may end up being better.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#560 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:47 am

wildvikeswolves wrote:

Sad thought but true. All 3 guys we sent in the deal may end up being better.

By no means am I here to say I told you (global you) so re: LaVine vs. Wiggins, way too easy now to rub salt in the very fresh wound. But I do think its interesting to conjure fact Wolves could have set themselves up for dynasty if they would have went with Wiggins + Dunn to Bulls -- keeping LaVine and #7.

With #7 they draft DSJ or Frank. Can't imagine Markkanen would have been in consideration.

They would have signed a stop-gap SF or SG until LaVine ready for return -- easy enough.

Irving: since he became available after Teague signing, is Thibs quicker to pull the trigger on LaVine + DSJ or Frank + Cap Space (maybe adding OKC 1st)? Who knows. Lets assume no.

So we are left with lineup of Teague-LaVine/Temp-Butler-Gibson-Towns.

But Wolves have recent #7 (DSJ or Frank) learning on the bench with assets of 2018 OKC 1st + Own Future 1sts ready and waiting. Screams 2018 trade deadline or 2018 draft day consolidation trade -- adding in Aldrich NG for big upgrade at PF. Or Teague himself consolidated to substantial PG upgrade.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves