ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#581 » by Narf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:49 am

southern wolf wrote:I know it's a pipe dream, but if we could somehow trade Wiggins for disgruntled Kawhi in the off-season I would lose my ****. Just imagine Kawhi and Jimmy playing together.

Wrong player. Paul George is plausible.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,033

Post#582 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

southern wolf wrote:I know it's a pipe dream, but if we could somehow trade Wiggins for disgruntled Kawhi in the off-season I would lose my ****. Just imagine Kawhi and Jimmy playing together.

As I posted on the Trade forum....

I would offer Andrew Wiggins and picks.

Other than that though, I couldn’t risk anymore given his health. Jimmy Butler and Karl-Anthony Towns are off the table. Obviously it would take something ridiculous like Kawhi naming Minnesota as one of his “three” teams he would be willing to resign with to actually make it happen though, otherwise the suggestion of Andrew Wiggins and multiple picks (Justin Patton if they want him) is a piss take.

Just for laughs, even though I recognize the silliness (don’t worry, I’m not completely ignorant to it)....

Jeff Teague / Tyus Jones
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford
Kawhi Leonard /
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica
Karl-Anthony Towns / Gorgui Dieng
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#583 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Domejandro wrote:

Other than that though, I couldn’t risk anymore given his health. Jimmy Butler and Karl-Anthony Towns are off the table. Obviously it would take something ridiculous like Kawhi naming Minnesota as one of his “three” teams he would be willing to resign with to actually make it happen though, otherwise the suggestion of Andrew Wiggins and multiple picks (Justin Patton if they want him) is a piss take.

Just for laughs, even though I recognize the silliness (don’t worry, I’m not completely ignorant to it)....

Jeff Teague / Tyus Jones
Kawhi Leonard /

May as well plug Patton in too.
Play BJ at SF when KL sits.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,033

Post#584 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

Jeff Teague / Tyus Jones
Kawhi Leonard /

May as well plug Patton in too.
Play BJ at SF when KL sits.

In all honesty, the trade is crazy enough as is, I couldn't imagine actually keeping Justin Patton on top of it, haha.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#585 » by Kabookalu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 pm

If only Wiggins had the drive to succeed that other greats had

Gfycat Video - Click to Play
Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#586 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Well, he just turned 23, so I guess he's old enough to officially call a bust. [/sarcasm]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,906

Post#587 » by AirP. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 am

Klomp wrote:Well, he just turned 23, so I guess he's old enough to officially call a bust. [/sarcasm]

Thanks for the softball lob!

Since 1980, of players age 23 and younger to get 15 FGA, Wiggins is 241st out of 247 in PER(only 6 seasons worse in PER).
http://bkref.com/tiny/Ge6Pz

His 2nd and 3rd year makes the list also 182nd and 183rd out of the 241 players.

You just don't get how little he's doing outside of shooting the ball.

Last year Towns got more then 15 shots a game, he's 20th on the list, it's an incredible who's who in the top 20.
http://bkref.com/tiny/YXOfI
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#588 » by Note30 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 am

Domejandro wrote:

Jeff Teague / Tyus Jones
Kawhi Leonard /

LETS DIAL UP THE CRAZINESS.

Wiggins, OKC 1st, Patton, Min 2019 unprotected 1st, MIN 2020 protected 1st for

Kawhi and LaMarcus?

Teague/Tyus
Butler / Crawford
Leonard / Bjelica / Hunt
Aldridge / Gibson
Towns / Dieng

Contenders boom. Pick up some ring chasers and if only we had a good defensive PG we'd be set.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#589 » by Vindicater » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 pm

When Wiggins is gone I wonder who Air P. will rag on next?
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#590 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Mar 3, 2018 11:32 pm

Delete
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,906

Post#591 » by AirP. » Sun Mar 4, 2018 12:59 am

Vindicater wrote:When Wiggins is gone I wonder who Air P. will rag on next?

Not sure, who's going to get a max contract and do so little while also do so little improvement towards being a max player?

Don't worry, I'll find someone else, I went against the Bulls board that D.Rose was no longer a good player and it took a few years for that to finally play out.

I would absolutely love to see Wiggins just switch into focus mode when on the court and be the player he could be, I just don't think there's that high of a chance of that happening. He has everything he needs except the drive and every once in a while you'll see it on the court, think you've seen what he could do against the Cavs, that's him focused and that's the type of player he could be most nights if he tried. For Wiggins career he's putting up 27.9 points a game against Cleveland with a .647 TS%, those are incredible and 8 games is a large enough sample size to think those aren't a fluke.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#592 » by Vindicater » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens with Wiggins for sure.

Personally I think he is close to putting it together. Needs another offseason of strength and conditioning work however so that he can run out games at the same energy he starts them with.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#593 » by Streakers33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I think this was the year he realized he has so much more work to do.. being given the keys last year I think made him think of all his years growing up. Then comes butler and and now he is seriously taken a back seat.. that’s an eye opener.. now add a playoff where we get swept.. I truely believe the Wiggins/butler combo next year, will be he best wings in basketball.. sometimes it just takes a humbling and a taste of the playoffs to realize there is another level.. will be fun to watch . He has shown defense this year.. one more step guys... one more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#594 » by Kabookalu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Wiggins had that one drive against Durant that was really impressive (though he got blocked). Guy could be a super rich mans DeRozan, and I mean that in a good way. The most underrated aspect of DeMar's game is his elite use of body control; he does a great job of using his body to leverage his weight against the defender to spin off of them and explode in the opposite direction. It's why he's a mid range master, he can attack you in every direction and never lose his balance. Wiggins can do that, except three times quicker.

Read on Twitter
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#595 » by wolfen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Wiggins...

I think the game the other day against Goldy State is the Wigs template. The number one thing for me with Andrew is his insane ability to get by his man. He is elite at that ability and we should not only take advantage of it, but demand it over and over from him. Let him know that we expect heavy doses of drives to the paint and no shots marked red in the shot chart below. And only uncontested shots from the yellow spots.

Wigs can just wreck defenses when he gets into the lane. And he doesn't HAVE to shoot the ball once he gets there, although he is a great finisher. The older he gets, the more he'll realize that just getting into the lane will cause the defense to scramble and help, leaving players open. If he's met with help in the paint on the drive, simply kick out for an assist or hockey assist a la Houston or San Antonio. Or of course throw it down on some meathead!

I'm also liking the post up of Andrew more and more. He's commanding a double when he gets it down there. Again, that is huge and puts the d at a disadvantage. Post up, score on punks trying to defend (but not an 18 foot fadeaway), or get fouled, or move the ball.

So 2 things for Andrew - Your bread and butter should be being a PLAYMAKER from the post and also driving the paint. Score or get fouled in those situations, but just as important, get the defense scrambling!

This is probably silly but I would set up some sort of financial reward / fine system for Wigs. $200 fine every time he shoots the ball in the red area on the shot chart below, $50 bonus every time he scores or gets fouled in the green area, $100 bonus every assist or hockey assist within the green area. Stupid thought, I know, but the philosophy is used by Houston and Wigs would benefit big time basing his game around it, as would the wolves...

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#596 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

wolfen wrote:Wiggins...

This is probably silly but I would set up some sort of financial reward / fine system for Wigs. $200 fine every time he shoots the ball in the red area on the shot chart below, $50 bonus every time he scores or gets fouled in the green area, $100 bonus every assist or hockey assist within the green area. Stupid thought, I know, but the philosophy is used by Houston and Wigs would benefit big time basing his game around it, as would the wolves...

So how about $148 million to do it all the time? Just sayin...... :o
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#597 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 am

Read on Twitter

need more.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#598 » by wolfen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Just listened to a segment with Doogie on ESPN 1500 and learned some veeerry interesting and telling things about Wiggins...

1. He LIKES his shot (he likes shooting jumpers).
2. He is rumored to not liking the 3rd option role. Apparently his dad is in his ear all the time saying to Andrew that he should be this, should be that.

They also discussed that "if a coach would just sit down and show him the shot chart and statistics of efficiency" that it would make a big difference. To that I say, if that is not already happening then this coaching staff needs to be fired. There's 2 levels here - 1 - EDUCATING the player on statistical efficiency and 2 - DEMANDING certain behaviors that maximize efficient play. I gotta believe that Andrew has been educated and understands that his favorite shot - the long 2 - is not only killing his game but it's killing the wolves. Again, if he ISN'T AT LEAST AWARE of that fact, shame on the coaching staff. But even deeper, the staff needs to REQUIRE Andrew to take the shots he is good at (post ups, drives, any shot inside 15 feet, OPEN three pointers) and NEVER shoot the long 2's whether they are wide open, off the dribble, off the screen, fading away, off balance, etc. NEVER. The ONLY time it would be acceptable is that if he gets the ball with a couple seconds left in that part of the floor, he'd need to shoot it to avoid a shot clock violation.

There are teams that do BOTH of those things: Educate AND Demand. Funny thing is, it's the best team in the NBA right now - the Rockets. If there was ever a player that would fit what the rockets do it's Wigs. They spread the floor, drive to the cup, and if a shot in the paint isn't there when they get there, they move the ball until they get an open 3 or another drive to the paint. Essentially they've taken the long 2 out of the equation by EDUCATING and DEMANDING to ALL of their players that it's statistically proven that the more long 2's you take, the less chance you have at winning, simple as that. This is my beef with Thibs and our coaching staff. I'm not expecting him to completely overhaul the offense, but for ONE player, he needs to EDUCATE and DEMAND.

As far as Wigs not being happy being the 3rd option - 2 things. He's listening to the wrong people, and he's option 3 because the options above him are likely hall of famers. If Andrew would truly rather be option 1 on a sh@tty team than be option 3 on a contender, if he REALLY believes that, I don't want him around. But I don't think he really believes that, he just needs to listen to the right people. Sounds like his dad is culprit number one in that misguided premise.

I am SOOOOO rooting for Wiggins, he has a ton of talent and he's so fun to watch with that athleticism. Hopefully he can get things right between the ears and hopefully the coaching staff can educate and demand. If all that happens we are a legit contender.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#599 » by TaylorTag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Yeah just now hearing the Wiggins rumor... Sucks but the timing is odd. Butler is out and so it's not like this is a current problem.

I've said all year that Thibs should be stagging Wiggins and Butler. Wiggins looks a lot better with Bjelica as his wingman rather than Butler... If Wiggins played 20 minutes a game with Bjelica at the 3, I don't think Wiggins would be voicing these concerns
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#600 » by MN7725 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:55 pm

wolfen wrote:
2. He is rumored to not liking the 3rd option role. Apparently his dad is in his ear all the time saying to Andrew that he should be this, should be that.

3rd option?

he averages the most FGA/game on the team :banghead:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves