ImageImageImage

The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Re: The Andrew Wiggins Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo 

Post#601 » by wolfen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:01 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Yeah just now hearing the Wiggins rumor... Sucks but the timing is odd. Butler is out and so it's not like this is a current problem.

I've said all year that Thibs should be stagging Wiggins and Butler. Wiggins looks a lot better with Bjelica as his wingman rather than Butler... If Wiggins played 20 minutes a game with Bjelica at the 3, I don't think Wiggins would be voicing these concerns

I agree Wigs plays better when Bjelly is on the floor. With Jimmy coming back from injury and Taj playing so many minutes, I would hope that when Jimmy does come back, that Bjelly gets a lot of time on the floor at the 3 or the 4, as long as it's when wigs is in the game. Bjelly moves the ball and hits the open shot. That spreads things out for everybody, not just Andrew. Whenever we can play a small ball lineup of Teague, Wigs, Butler, Bjelly, KAT, we should. We're going to need offensive fire power in the playoffs...
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#602 » by TaylorTag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 pm

this might be crazy and I will seriously regret posting this, but I think the Wolves need to consider moving........ Butler in the offseason.

I want to hurt myself just thinking that.

I'm in no way suggesting it was wrong to acquire Butler... We needed him to change the culture in the locker room... And Butler helped us attract free agents like Gibson and Teague who have helped this turn around...

But I wonder if Butler is worth the investment going forward. Not even considering his injury, I'm assuming Butler will come back full strength and be a stud like he is and has been... But we are seeing what Wiggins can be when is the #2 option.

Last 7 games, no Jimmy (4-3):

20.7 ppg, +5.6 (+/-)

Last 7 games with Jimmy (3-4):

14.6 ppg, -4.6 (-4.6)

I only suggest all this because if the rumors are true and Wiggins is unhappy (a) I'm not sure we could even trade Wiggins with his contract and (b) Wiggins is not even in his prime yet and (c) I think Wiggins has a better relationship with KAT than Butler, and quite frankly the only player on this roster who truly matters is KAT...

Flame away, I'm going to go throw up for typing all this BS
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#603 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:I only suggest all this because if the rumors are true and Wiggins is unhappy (a) I'm not sure we could even trade Wiggins with his contract and (b) Wiggins is not even in his prime yet and (c) I think Wiggins has a better relationship with KAT than Butler, and quite frankly the only player on this roster who truly matters is KAT...

They would trade Wiggins far before considering trading Butler.

I'd still be intrigued about a Wiggins/Walker swap, if they could get the salaries evened out.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#604 » by walk with me » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Wiggins for wall
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#605 » by TaylorTag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:I only suggest all this because if the rumors are true and Wiggins is unhappy (a) I'm not sure we could even trade Wiggins with his contract and (b) Wiggins is not even in his prime yet and (c) I think Wiggins has a better relationship with KAT than Butler, and quite frankly the only player on this roster who truly matters is KAT...

They would trade Wiggins far before considering trading Butler.

I'd still be intrigued about a Wiggins/Walker swap, if they could get the salaries evened out.

Yeah I agree. No way Thibs trades Butler.. And he probably shouldn't.

I think this conversation is moot anyways. I doubt Wiggins is even thinking about requesting a trade, let alone demanding one. His role has been reduced and he's complained about it a little bit. It's not a crime and really isn't that big of a deal
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,903

Post#606 » by AirP. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

wolfen wrote:As far as Wigs not being happy being the 3rd option - 2 things. He's listening to the wrong people, and he's option 3 because the options above him are likely hall of famers. If Andrew would truly rather be option 1 on a sh@tty team than be option 3 on a contender, if he REALLY believes that, I don't want him around. But I don't think he really believes that, he just needs to listen to the right people. Sounds like his dad is culprit number one in that misguided premise.

It all depends on Wiggins' value system. Watching his lack of effort on the court and lack of improvement over 4 years after being the #1 pick, handed a franchise, given the most FGA in the NBA last year, I don't think being as good as he can for himself or his team is near the top of his priorities. If enjoying life and making as much money as possible playing basketball is near the top of priority list(which I think it is) then being the #3 option cuts into his off court money. I mentioned this after Butler was traded for and people just ignored that aspect of it for Wiggins.

From time to time we see Wiggins care and give effort on the court and it lets everyone see what he could be if he did this most of the time. The worst to me is that the lack of effort given on the court to me means he probably gives even less effort working on his game off the court, why work hard in the offseason if you're going to not give that much effort in games? It just doesn't make sense.

Wiggins said he's worth nothing less then max and ment it, he's ok with his game because over 4 years he's really not refined or added to his game like a player who actually want to get better would. If the future version of Wiggins is just a little bit better version then the current one, it's going to be hard to put enough good players around him, Towns and Butler with Wiggins getting 30+ million dollars a year.

I will say this which isn't exactly good for this franchise, it may take a trade to shake up Wiggins' world enough to get him to focus more on becoming a better player. Olipido was traded twice in the last 2 years before he really put in the work to become the player he is this season. He had opportunities in OKC with Westbrook off the court to produce more and just couldn't/didn't.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#607 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 pm

So many important decisions for FO to make this summer - Re-signing Bjeli, Offering new contract to Jimmy or not, Future of Wiggins if we actually offer new contract to Jimmy
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#608 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 pm

His defense in 4th quarter yesterday was really good...why can't Wiggs defend like that atleast half the time? That's what worries me the most...I don't know whether it's his lack of effort or he is just inconsistent even on defense and shows up once in a while
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#609 » by Narf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm

upriser7 wrote:His defense in 4th quarter yesterday was really good...why can't Wiggs defend like that atleast half the time?

He does. You just selectively remember him not giving effort. He's in all but one of our top 12 or so defensive lineups last I checked.

Anyway, I came to say Wiggins seems to have finally learned to drive and kick instead of drive into traffic for the tough shot. This will be huge for his efficiency if he actually does it consistently. He's nearly unguardable if the defense is punished with an open 3 every time they collapse on him.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#610 » by LordBaldric » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:35 pm

The ridiculous thing about Wiggins being unhappy as the 3rd option is that if Wiggins would just play with effort and focus all the time instead of once in a while, we wouldn't have needed to trade for Butler in the first place!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,436

Post#611 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 pm

I am 100 percent done with drafting "questinable motor" guys. This is the like the death kneel for so many players that look great on paper. Sometimes those low motor reports wind up being false but man, it burns you so hard when its true. I will take a guy who wants to slit the other teams throat and is almost maniacal about it every time. Give me the guy who is going to bust his ass trying to be elite even if it means some possible bagage/friction will come with that. I will take a crazy KG, dirty Butler, overbearing Kobe if it means I get greatness. So tired of these guys who have to try and find the proper 75 digit code combination to get them fired up every other night.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#612 » by minimus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 pm

If Wiggins is unhappy I'd make this trade:

To SAC: Wiggins
To MIN: Bogdanovic, Koufos, Temple, Matthews
To DAL: Dieng, JC

KAT/Koufos/Patton
Taj/Bjelica/Ameli
JB/Bjelica/Bogdanovic
Bogdanovic/Matthews/Temple
Teague/Tyus/Temple

I really like Bogdanovic game and I like this roster with some solid wing defender in Temple, JB, Tyus.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#613 » by Mattya » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#614 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 pm

The timing is off, but Im sure there will be plenty believing or hoping this to be true in order to dislike him more.

True or not, Doogie just put a dent into a team that finally looked like it was getting together after the butler injury. Now instead of everything being focused on basketball, everything will be about an unconfirmed rumor from wolfson about wiggs. we know very well that national media will pick this up which will progress to wiggins being unhappy in minnesota to wiggs wants a trade out of minnesota etc..

Does Doogie not want the playoffs for the wolves?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#615 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:03 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:The timing is off, but Im sure there will be plenty believing or hoping this to be true in order to dislike him more.

True or not, Doogie just put a dent into a team that finally looked like it was getting together after the butler injury. Now instead of everything being focused on basketball, everything will be about an unconfirmed rumor from wolfson about wiggs. we know very well that national media will pick this up which will progress to wiggins being unhappy in minnesota to wiggs wants a trade out of minnesota etc..

If this rumor breaks the wolves' back and they miss the playoffs over it then they are more fragile than imagined and don't deserve to be in.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#616 » by cpfsf » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 am

Calinks wrote:I am 100 percent done with drafting "questinable motor" guys. This is the like the death kneel for so many players that look great on paper. Sometimes those low motor reports wind up being false but man, it burns you so hard when its true. I will take a guy who wants to slit the other teams throat and is almost maniacal about it every time. Give me the guy who is going to bust his ass trying to be elite even if it means some possible bagage/friction will come with that. I will take a crazy KG, dirty Butler, overbearing Kobe if it means I get greatness. So tired of these guys who have to try and find the proper 75 digit code combination to get them fired up every other night.

I think a lot of trash talkers might fit that description. I'm not really sure how I feel about trash talk in general, but I feel those guys seem more driven. Like if someone says your wife smells like Cheerios, you better believe they are gonna make sure the other guy doesn't make a play.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#617 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 am

cpfsf wrote:
Calinks wrote:I am 100 percent done with drafting "questinable motor" guys. This is the like the death kneel for so many players that look great on paper. Sometimes those low motor reports wind up being false but man, it burns you so hard when its true. I will take a guy who wants to slit the other teams throat and is almost maniacal about it every time. Give me the guy who is going to bust his ass trying to be elite even if it means some possible bagage/friction will come with that. I will take a crazy KG, dirty Butler, overbearing Kobe if it means I get greatness. So tired of these guys who have to try and find the proper 75 digit code combination to get them fired up every other night.

I think a lot of trash talkers might fit that description. I'm not really sure how I feel about trash talk in general, but I feel those guys seem more driven. Like if someone says your wife smells like Cheerios, you better believe they are gonna make sure the other guy doesn't make a play.

There could be a correlation. I look at a guy like Embiid, he talks a lot of trash and is cocky as hell but you know what? He brings the noise. He tries to crush his opponents, he plays in high gear. I love that about him.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#618 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 am

Doogie is a clown, he's by far the worst beat reporter in town.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#619 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 am

Calinks wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:The timing is off, but Im sure there will be plenty believing or hoping this to be true in order to dislike him more.

If this rumor breaks the wolves' back and they miss the playoffs over it then they are more fragile than imagined and don't deserve to be in.

maybe its just me, but id prefer to not have any distractions and just focus on the game at hand.
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#620 » by TaylorTag » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Calinks wrote:

maybe its just me, but id prefer to not have any distractions and just focus on the game at hand.

Plus one

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves