ImageImageImage

17-18 Schedule

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Re: 17-18 Schedule 

Post#41 » by ace625214 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 am

Mattya wrote:I usually go to around 20-25 games a season. Would go to more if I didn't have to drive 30-40 minutes.

...a half hour drive is too much? You must live in the most convenient place on Earth. I would kill to have the games that close to me
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#42 » by Mattya » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 am

ace625214 wrote:
Mattya wrote:I usually go to around 20-25 games a season. Would go to more if I didn't have to drive 30-40 minutes.

...a half hour drive is too much? You must live in the most convenient place on Earth. I would kill to have the games that close to me

In the middle of a Minnesota winter? Yea...
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#43 » by minimus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:01 am

Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:

Haha, here in Kazakhstan we resist in -35C in the winter, +35C in the summer. And I have to drive two hours to watch ugly basketball
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#44 » by YourBuddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 am

minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:

Haha, here in Kazakhstan we resist in -35C in the winter, +35C in the summer. And I have to drive two hours to watch ugly basketball

I'm not sure why we are trying to make people feel bad for not going to more games.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#45 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:39 am

Hey Silver, just move the timberwolves to the Eastern Conference already.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#46 » by minimus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:53 am

YourBuddy wrote:
minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I'm not sure why we are trying to make people feel bad for not going to more games.

No! It's opposite! I make them feel better because they have an opportunity that I don't have
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#47 » by breatnach » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am

I guess us Europeans are not their main concern, but it's a little disappointing to have only 2 games tip-off before midnight in Central Europe (not counting Dec 31, which tips off an hour before the fireworks start)

Watching games between 2 and 5am are really tedious once they starting taking timeouts every posession. I've actually fallen asleep during quite a few games during the 3rd and 4th quarter unless it was a nail biter. Maybe the reduced number of timeouts will help. Probably won't bother with LP this year.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by ace625214 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:

I grew up in ND and that was my daily drive to school. I'd make that same drive all the time for cheap Wolves tickets. To each their own, though.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#49 » by Mattya » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

ace625214 wrote:
Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:

I grew up in ND and that was my daily drive to school. I'd make that same drive all the time for cheap Wolves tickets. To each their own, though.

So you are going to drive a half hour to class/work, drive a half hour to the game, the drive home after the games. In the snow and cold. Got it. Forgive me for having a life and only going tover 50% of the games on non cheap seats. It's easy to make those claims when you can't actually back them up.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 am

Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
Mattya wrote:

So you are going to drive a half hour to class/work, drive a half hour to the game, the drive home after the games. In the snow and cold. Got it. Forgive me for having a life and only going tover 50% of the games on non cheap seats. It's easy to make those claims when you can't actually back them up.

That's true. It's a different perspective, too. I've never had that opportunity while you've had it for quite some time. It would be like someone telling me I'm crazy for not going to the beach every nice day when I live right next to it. When something is easy and you've done it a bunch, it becomes less special. You've done it enough that it's not worth the drive compared to relaxing and home and watching on TV with beer that wasn't an absurd price. I get that.
Loyal[]Wolf
Bench Warmer
And1: 455

Post#51 » by Loyal[]Wolf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 am

C.lupus wrote:I attend about 80 games per year on my sofa.

:lol: :lol: same.

I live in south FL so I couldn't attend Target Center very easily but I prefer televised games anyways.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#52 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 pm

We are officially under two months away from real basketball!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#53 » by LibertyPrime » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Hey Silver, just move the timberwolves to the Eastern Conference already.

And +1000

Anyone see that map on the main board showing the "Western Conference"? Buncha West coast teams, then huge swaths of empty space, then Memphis and MN tucked up right against a glut of Eastern teams.

I remember hearing for years (although it's probably not true with Toronto in the league now) that the Wolves ended up flying the most miles of any NBA team - all because a city closer to New York than LA is in the "Western" conference. Yeah, bite me, league.
"The last domino falls here!"
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#54 » by Narf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 am

breatnach wrote:I guess us Europeans are not their main concern, but it's a little disappointing to have only 2 games tip-off before midnight in Central Europe (not counting Dec 31, which tips off an hour before the fireworks start)

Watching games between 2 and 5am are really tedious once they starting taking timeouts every posession. I've actually fallen asleep during quite a few games during the 3rd and 4th quarter unless it was a nail biter. Maybe the reduced number of timeouts will help. Probably won't bother with LP this year.

You know you can record them and watch the next day right?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 am

LibertyPrime wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Hey Silver, just move the timberwolves to the Eastern Conference already.

And +1000

Anyone see that map on the main board showing the "Western Conference"? Buncha West coast teams, then huge swaths of empty space, then Memphis and MN tucked up right against a glut of Eastern teams.

I remember hearing for years (although it's probably not true with Toronto in the league now) that the Wolves ended up flying the most miles of any NBA team - all because a city closer to New York than LA is in the "Western" conference. Yeah, bite me, league.

Nothing will be done until either the league expands with two teams west of us or two Eastern teams relocate west of us.

And really, a person could argue Memphis and New Orleans have as much right to switch conferences as we do, all being along the Mississippi River (though we should get priority because of longevity in our current location, proximity to other Eastern teams and MEM/NO's proximity to other Western teams.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 am

I just came up with what might be the best solution out west until the next expansion or relocation happens (changes in bold):

Pacific: GSW, LAC, LAL, SAC, POR
Southwest: DAL, HOU, SAS, PHX, UTA
"Midwest": DEN, MIN, OKC, MEM, NOP

Still not best-case scenario, but a much better position geographically.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#57 » by C.lupus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:

And +1000

Nothing will be done until either the league expands with two teams west of us or two Eastern teams relocate west of us.

And really, a person could argue Memphis and New Orleans have as much right to switch conferences as we do, all being along the Mississippi River (though we should get priority because of longevity in our current location, proximity to other Eastern teams and MEM/NO's proximity to other Western teams.

MEM and NO are both farther east than Minneapolis and neither are in a division that is so vast. The U.S. population distribution is not consistent. That is the problem.

There are only two options for expansion/movement west - Seattle and Las Vegas. Vegas is probably not high on any major sport's list.

This is why I've advocated in the past to get rid of the Eastern/Western conferences altogether. It is impossible to make it work fairly.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#58 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Mattya wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I assume youre in the metro still and Mpls uses salt on their roads but still I see you,...Games are $$$ and the team has sucked for over 10 years. Plus dealing with sub zero temps at 1030 PM and getting into a freezing car post game, F that.

Ive been to only 2 games in the last x amount of years and I only live a couple hour drive from Target Center for those same reasons alone. that and whenever Im in MPLS during the winter...the team is usually on a road trip :banghead: .
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,359

Post#59 » by Calinks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 pm

I really like the prestige of being in the West. Big fish in small pond doesn't set well with me. I will say though there are HUGE missed oppurtuniies as we should and could have a great rivalry with Wisconsin. Even Chicago and Toronto wouldn't be hard to get some heat against. Toronto with their whole "We the north, embrace the cold" persona and Chicago has been a good rival in other sports plus the huge number of Chicago exports in Minneapolis who always talk about Chicago. Lots of heat to be mined if we played these teams more often.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

I missed this on Thursday.

Read on Twitter

Here are the 7 games not aired locally on FSN/FSN+
12/25 at Lakers (TNT)
1/18 at Rockets (TNT)
1/25 at Warriors (TNT)
2/15 vs. Lakers (TNT)
3/1 at Blazers (TNT)
3/8 vs. Celtics (TNT)
3/11 vs. Warriors (ABC)

4/5 at Nuggets will be available on both TNT and FSN, and all ESPN and NBATV games will be available on FSN

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves