Post#61 » by neminnfan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

walk with me wrote:Im expecting Teague stats to end up looking like this

14 ppg
7 assists per game
3.5 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game
47% from the field
38% from 3 point line

Good expectations, but I think the assists numbers will be higher just playing with KAT. I think he will average over 8 assists a game for the first time in his career.
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Re: The Jeff Teague Era ! 

Post#62 » by beezy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm

14 ppg
7 assists per game
3.5 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game
47% from the field
38% from 3 point line

As long as those numbers are obtained with maximum efficiency we are good.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#63 » by C.lupus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 pm

14 ppg
7 assists per game
3.5 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game
47% from the field
38% from 3 point line

Those shooting percentages are quite optimistic. He's a career 44% shooter and has only hit 47% once, back in 2011. Likewise, he's only shot 38% or greater from deep once in his career (35% career average).
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#64 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm

C.lupus wrote:

14 ppg
7 assists per game
3.5 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game
47% from the field
38% from 3 point line

Those shooting percentages are quite optimistic. He's a career 44% shooter and has only hit 47% once, back in 2011. Likewise, he's only shot 38% or greater from deep once in his career (35% career average).

In assuming he achieves that based on the the fact this is probably the best team he's ever been on and the team accentuates teagues strengths. What do you think he'll average?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#65 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

walk with me wrote:In assuming he achieves that based on the the fact this is probably the best team he's ever been on and the team accentuates teagues strengths. What do you think he'll average?

Maybe the most talented team, but those Hawks teams were pretty good. Worst team he's been on went 38-44, and that was his only year on a sub-.500 team.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by walk with me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
walk with me wrote:In assuming he achieves that based on the the fact this is probably the best team he's ever been on and the team accentuates teagues strengths. What do you think he'll average?

Maybe the most talented team, but those Hawks teams were pretty good. Worst team he's been on went 38-44, and that was his only year on a sub-.500 team.

I like us better

Teague = Teague
Wiggins > Korver
Jimmy> ISO joe
Taj < millsap but it's nothing that taj couldn't handle
Kat > horford
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#67 » by thinktank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Hawks were good, but Wolves will be better.

Only question is when.

I love Teague's fit here.

Of all the players on our team, I think Butler being a distributor but not a great shooter, Towns an ok shooter, Wiggins ok, Teague is the best shooter there.

He's going to be on the receiving end of a lot of clean spot-up 3's from Butler and others.

And he shot unguarded 3's at the 3rd highest percentage among point guards last year.

That's a very good fit.
"a poor addition to the board"
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by C.lupus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 am

walk with me wrote:
C.lupus wrote:

14 ppg
7 assists per game
3.5 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game
47% from the field
38% from 3 point line

In assuming he achieves that based on the the fact this is probably the best team he's ever been on and the team accentuates teagues strengths. What do you think he'll average?

I'd tweak all the numbers down a hair.

13 ppg
6 assists per game
3 rebounds per game
1.2 steals per game
45% from the field
36% from 3 point line

Not meant as a knock on Teague but he will be behind three 20-point scorers in the feeding order and I think Butler will facilitate some of the time as well. Plus it's the Timberwolves. I've learned not to get overly optimistic.
Monsterpile
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#69 » by Monsterpile » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 am

Takingbaconback wrote:This guy is going to be the key. He's got to manage so much offensive talent around him and still keep his rhythm. He's not going to be able to attack the rim at will because wolves got Butler, Wiggins, and KAT who like occupy that space. The good news is that he's already played on a stacked offense and had great success with that.

The next step in the evolution of his game is to control the tempo against elite PGs in the league. I would love to see him play like Tony Parker in his prime when he would establish a rhythm and pace for the Spurs. Didn't matter who they played, the other team had to play at the pace the Spurs wanted to and you could just feel that control through the TV screen. He has a very similar game to Parker with the floater, the blow by finish, and a tenacity handling the ball, so I feel like he is capable of this.

Long time lurker here and I am a Wolves fan. Its kinda exciting to talk about Teague.

A few weeks ago I read about Teague in some various forums and a number of Atlanta fans described Teague very much how you just did. They called him Bud's Tony Parker and said he really ran the offense in Atlanta well. I think Teague's ability to PG is generally underrated. I was pretty guilty also I didn't really want him here before the deal was made. I thought he was basically a scoring PG that could play as a PG. After looking at some stats and reading more takes (plus some homer bias now that he is on my team lol) he seems like a pretty balanced player. I don't think he is a bad guy either he is more laid back but is plenty feisty. I don't think the incident with Belly is a big deal. If nothing else Europe is said to be much more physical than the NBA.

It's worth mentioning that the teams Teague has played on have been pretty successful. He should probably get some credit for that. If you look at the Pacers last year you will see that nearly every player had a career year (or better than their career average) in terms of shooting and/or efficiency. McMillan isn't regarded that highly around the league as an offensive coach so I would think Teague could get some legit credit for that uptick. In addition he played with a few guys in Paul George and Ellis (plus Lance Stephenson later on including alot in the playoffs) who like to have the ball in their hands so he will be ready to share with guys like Wiggins and Butler.

Teague has plenty to experience working with a big who can shoot. Just the last couple years he went from Horford and Millsap to Turner and Thad Young (career high % from 3). Teague makes alot of sense for this roster. He is likely pretty much ready to just do his thing with a lot of experience and he should have alot of value doing his thing in the playsoffs where he has 66 career games. I think if he finds his role quickly this team could take off right away. He could make things easier for Wiggins Butler and Towns to figure out their roles as well.

A couple other thoughts.

Thibs mentioned his ability to get into the lane. He certainly has done that at a high level being one of the top guys driving in the entire league the past few years. He has the ability to attack guys especially if a bigger layer is switch on him. To compare to Rubio he passes the ball like 35% of the time on drive and Rubio over 50%. Rubio is pretty predictable (chances are he will pass). Teague is not.

Teague has a pretty diverse offensive game. He even has a post game (scored on Deandre Jordan last year) and he had that going back to college. Speaking of college he put up some really efficient impressive numbers back in Wake Forest and he played with plenty of NBA talent.

Teague's athletic ability will be a nice asset. When was the last time we had a quick PG capable of moving with other quick PGs? I'm a big Rubio fan but he did struggle at times with smaller quick PGs. Teague is also one of the better shot blockers as a PG with long arms and he can get up. I just watched the double overtime game late last year between the Pacers and the Cavs. Teague did not make life easy for Kyrie especially late in the game. Ellis did ok when on him but had a couple poor fouls. In another game I watched against Washington in the first 5 mins Teague was creating havoc defensively similar to what we came to enjoy from Rubio. This wasn't against whatever PGs its Kyrie and Wall. It was 2 games (random ones I found on youtube) but it was worthwhile to see he had some positive effect on that end. There has been plenty of talk in various circles about Teague's defense and maybe not playing hard. I'm one of the biggest Rubio guys out there but there is plenty of times he doesn't exactly do a whole lot when he is screened. It looks like to me that if Teague is locked in he can defend. He did in Atlanta and one of his assets there was getting through screens.

Teague could be like the 4th best player on this team that's a pretty good thing. Last year he was probably the 2nd best player on the Pacers amd in Atlanta he was leaned on alot more offensively to score than he will be asked to do here.

If you need a bucket Teague has the ability to either get a bucket or get one for another player. Having a player like that last year even in the 3rd quarter would have been really nice. Now we have Teague and Butler plus even at times Crawford. The Wolves were #24 in scoring in both the 3rd and 4th quarters (top 10 the previous quarters) and apparently terrible in crunch time scoring. Teague will help but Butler will help even more.
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#70 » by beezy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Nice post Monsterpile. Your last few sentences, YES!! Crunch time scoring was a big problem which will improve with Teague and Butler. Crawford's scoring will help keep late 3rd and 4th quarter leads which will make last 5 minutes easier as well.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by C.lupus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 am

What the heck, I'll stir the pot a bit...

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#72 » by minimus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:22 am

I watched a few IND games from last season. I would say that Teague is a really smart offensive scorer. He does his damage mainly from midrange, he is excellent pull up shooter from mid range. He is average at finishing at rim and he is nowhere close to Irving or other guys in terms of creating for himself or others. In offense he is really a complimentary player, he won't carry our offense. In defense he doesn't put effort, easily can't be neutralized by simple screen or switch. He can execute simple pass, but I got used to Rubio passing genius, so I find Teague's passes a bit careless. However, he is very reliable when we speak about drive and dish, drive and kick. His ability to score opens passing opportunities that Rubio doesn't have. So my verdict is that in Teague we brought a savvy veteran who knows his limits, and is reliable enough to make our offense work. If he can rise the intensity in defense, then he will outwork his contract, if not he will be a liability in defense in playoff, I am a bit concerned if Thibs can hide him in defense considering our short bench and given same Tyus weaknesses.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#73 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 am

minimus wrote:I watched a few IND games from last season. I would say that Teague is a really smart offensive scorer. He does his damage mainly from midrange, he is excellent pull up shooter from mid range. He is average at finishing at rim and he is nowhere close to Irving or other guys in terms of creating for himself or others. In offense he is really a complimentary player, he won't carry our offense. In defense he doesn't put effort, easily can't be neutralized by simple screen or switch. He can execute simple pass, but I got used to Rubio passing genius, so I find Teague's passes a bit careless. However, he is very reliable when we speak about drive and dish, drive and kick. His ability to score opens passing opportunities that Rubio doesn't have. So my verdict is that in Teague we brought a savvy veteran who knows his limits, and is reliable enough to make our offense work. If he can rise the intensity in defense, then he will outwork his contract, if not he will be a liability in defense in playoff, I am a bit concerned if Thibs can hide him in defense considering our short bench and given same Tyus weaknesses.

Teague is way better creating for others than Irving. Next time I see Irving create for others will be the first.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:15 am

HYPE!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:nod:
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:07 am

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#76 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:03 pm

I watched the 60 win Hawks team every chance I got. I just thought they epitomized great team play. I really liked Teague and I at this point am convinced that he is a notch above Rubio. However, how much longer will he remain better than Rubio is a question that should have been considered by the Wolves before making the Rubio trade that allowed us to get Teague. Rubio is 4 years younger and there is a very strong statistical correlation of taller point guards taking longer to peak than shorter ones and having a longer shelf life as top PGs. I am guessing that when Teague's contract comes up in two years Rubio will be the better of the two and he will be a very good player for 6 years after that. I am going to really enjoy watching Teague play and the immediate success I believe we will have. I might really bum out watching Rubio be a star for Utah when Teague's game is in decline.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#77 » by SBM » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:08 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I watched the 60 win Hawks team every chance I got. I just thought they epitomized great team play. I really liked Teague and I at this point am convinced that he is a notch above Rubio. However, how much longer will he remain better than Rubio is a question that should have been considered by the Wolves before making the Rubio trade that allowed us to get Teague. Rubio is 4 years younger and there is a very strong statistical correlation of taller point guards taking longer to peak than shorter ones and having a longer shelf life as top PGs. I am guessing that when Teague's contract comes up in two years Rubio will be the better of the two and he will be a very good player for 6 years after that. I am going to really enjoy watching Teague play and the immediate success I believe we will have. I might really bum out watching Rubio be a star for Utah when Teague's game is in decline.

This is a very sad statement. Any thought, philosophy, feeling, thing, timeline, etc. that puts Rubio on top you adapt it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:10 pm

SBM wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I watched the 60 win Hawks team every chance I got. I just thought they epitomized great team play. I really liked Teague and I at this point am convinced that he is a notch above Rubio. However, how much longer will he remain better than Rubio is a question that should have been considered by the Wolves before making the Rubio trade that allowed us to get Teague. Rubio is 4 years younger and there is a very strong statistical correlation of taller point guards taking longer to peak than shorter ones and having a longer shelf life as top PGs. I am guessing that when Teague's contract comes up in two years Rubio will be the better of the two and he will be a very good player for 6 years after that. I am going to really enjoy watching Teague play and the immediate success I believe we will have. I might really bum out watching Rubio be a star for Utah when Teague's game is in decline.

This is a very sad statement. Any thought, philosophy, feeling, thing, timeline, etc. that puts Rubio on top you adapt it.

I am a big fan of both players. What I stated is deeply rooted in ages and progression. Have you seen the charts about taller vs shorter PGs. Taller ones age much better than shorter ones. Just a fact. Do you think I am trying to dis Teague??????? I'm a huge fan of Jeff Teague. I also granted that Teague is better right now despite most advanced metrics that have Rubio better.

EDIT: Another thought on this. All the metrics/stats have Isaiah Thomas as a better PG than Kyrie Irving yet Boston gave Thomas, Crowder and an almost certain high lottery pick for Irving. Now Thomas being injured certainly factored in, but age and size also factored in.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:11 pm

1. Teague is more then a tad bit better than Rubio.
2. Rubio has reached his peak.... HE WILL NOT GET BETTER.
3. In two years when Teagues contract is up and Rubio is still the same exact player that he was 5 years ago we can go after an even better PG. if Rubio improves, which won't happen... we can just bring him back after wards. He won't though. So don't worry. Teague is the best pg in Minnesota since sam Cassel. By December you won't want to see Rubio anywhere near the target center unless it's as an opponent or a fan.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#80 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2017 3:17 pm

walk with me wrote:

1. Teague is more then a tad bit better than Rubio.
2. Rubio has reached his peak.... HE WILL NOT GET BETTER.
3. In two years when Teagues contract is up and Rubio is still the same exact player that he was 5 years ago we can go after an even better PG. if Rubio improves, which won't happen... we can just bring him back after wards. He won't though. So don't worry. Teague is the best pg in Minnesota since sam Cassel. By December you won't want to see Rubio anywhere near the target center unless it's as an opponent or a fan.

I unblocked you for this one post just to read you say what I knew you would say. Metrics actually have Rubio as better than Teague, however I agree that Teague is better despite that. Your idea that a 25 year old TALL PG will not improve in the future is totally contradictory to all the evidence available. Teague a 29 year old short PG is probably already in a mild decline. In two years the odds are strongly in favor of Rubio being the better of the two. How are we going to be able to get a better PG when we are capped? Let Butler walk??? Think about what you post before you just go off spouting this kind of stuff.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves