Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: The Jeff Teague Era ! 

Post#601 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 2:40 pm

PharmD wrote:
Klomp wrote:
King Malta wrote:I don't like Teague, at all, but I would find the concept of fans chanting for him to be replaced to be pretty tasteless.

Any PG not named Rubio has practically gotten the same treatment by fans here since 2011. There's only one perfect NBA point guard in this market and his name is Ricard Rubio.

What point guards were treated poorly by the fanbase?

Like there was a lot of frustration with rookie Zach but he was still pretty well liked cuz he was the sweetest kid ever and dunkz

Rubio was bashed and rubes wanted him gone when we found out he couldn't shoot, finish a layup, and teams sagged off of him daring him to shoot. He never improved and as big a Rubio-obo as I was, his play just wasn't good enough. Could he have done better with this unit? Maybe, but he still cannot shoot or finish.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#602 » by Narf » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:28 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Rubio was bashed and rubes wanted him gone when we found out he couldn't shoot, finish a layup, and teams sagged off of him daring him to shoot. He never improved and as big a Rubio-obo as I was, his play just wasn't good enough. Could he have done better with this unit? Maybe, but he still cannot shoot or finish.

People sag off Teague more than they did Rubio and he can shoot.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#603 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:02 pm

Narf wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Rubio was bashed and rubes wanted him gone when we found out he couldn't shoot, finish a layup, and teams sagged off of him daring him to shoot. He never improved and as big a Rubio-obo as I was, his play just wasn't good enough. Could he have done better with this unit? Maybe, but he still cannot shoot or finish.

IDK about that, but it was VERY obvious when they did it to Rubio. They didn't even guard him, they str8 doubled whomever was in the post. I don't even think they looked in his direction. They have to respect JT, but if he keeps missing them bunnies that will change. I am going to focus on the sag offs tonight. (That sounded weird as I typed it.)
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#604 » by Mattya » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:22 pm

Narf wrote:

Absolutely not
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#605 » by SmokeyPaw » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:31 pm

Mattya wrote:
Narf wrote:

Absolutely not

Agreed.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#606 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:20 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Narf wrote:People sag off Teague more than they did Rubio and he can shoot.

Absolutely not

Agreed.

The funny thing in all this is that you would expect Trague ORTG would be significantly better than Rubio last season if the shooting was such big flaw for team success, not only because Trague is an average shooter (which Rubio isnt) but because wiggins and towns have another year under thibs and jimmy is playing instead of rush/lavine.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#607 » by Narf » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:12 pm

Killboard wrote:The funny thing in all this is that you would expect Trague ORTG would be significantly better than Rubio last season if the shooting was such big flaw for team success, not only because Trague is an average shooter (which Rubio isnt) but because wiggins and towns have another year under thibs and jimmy is playing instead of rush/lavine.

Really?
I'd expect Jason Kidd to run a better offense than Luke Ridnour even though Luke was a better shooter.

Rubio wasn't as good as Kidd, but he was the same type of player. And our offense was better for years with Rubio in then a slew of solid backup PGs. And yes, Barea and Ridnour were solid backup PGs.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#608 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:19 pm

Narf wrote:
Killboard wrote:The funny thing in all this is that you would expect Trague ORTG would be significantly better than Rubio last season if the shooting was such big flaw for team success, not only because Trague is an average shooter (which Rubio isnt) but because wiggins and towns have another year under thibs and jimmy is playing instead of rush/lavine.

Really?
I'd expect Jason Kidd to run a better offense than Luke Ridnour even though Luke was a better shooter.

Rubio wasn't as good as Kidd, but he was the same type of player. And our offense was better for years with Rubio in then a slew of solid backup PGs. And yes, Barea and Ridnour were solid backup PGs.

You are missing the key words "if the shooting was such big flaw for team success", which I dont think it really was. We agree on that.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#609 » by Narf » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:05 am

Fair enough
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#610 » by minimus » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:38 pm

After today game vs MIL I asked myself about Teague's role in this team. Am I okay with Teague's performance? 9PTS 4-7FG 1-2 3PT 8AST 3TO (two of them were really unnecessary) 1STL 1BLK. Yes, I'd take this type of efficiency every single day if our big trio is playing. I understand that Teague might never justify his contract in current situation. Also he might never be able to execute passes that Rubio executes with easy, because Jeff is a bit short, does not understand angles well and does not have vision and feeling for this type of plays. He probably would never improve a lot in this area. And I'm kind of good with it. However, is there any possible improvements for Teague? Yes, but I think it is more related to team chemistry, execution and practicing together. Better ball movement, better spacing, better screens from our bigs would open more opportunities for Teague to score and pass the ball. And I'm sure he can play better with this team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#611 » by shrink » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:03 pm

minimus wrote:After today game vs MIL I asked myself about Teague's role in this team. Am I okay with Teague's performance? 9PTS 4-7FG 1-2 3PT 8AST 3TO (two of them were really unnecessary) 1STL 1BLK. Yes, I'd take this type of efficiency every single day if our big trio is playing. I understand that Teague might never justify his contract in current situation. Also he might never be able to execute passes that Rubio executes with easy, because Jeff is a bit short, does not understand angles well and does not have vision and feeling for this type of plays. He probably would never improve a lot in this area. And I'm kind of good with it. However, is there any possible improvements for Teague? Yes, but I think it is more related to team chemistry, execution and practicing together. Better ball movement, better spacing, better screens from our bigs would open more opportunities for Teague to score and pass the ball. And I'm sure he can play better with this team.

I think this is a good way to look at it. He needs to improve defensively (especially not make silly slaps for and1 fouls), get the ball to Towns more, and not dribble away the shot clock. However, the offense runs well enough with him at the helm, and I think bringing in a back up to start might be worse. We were spoiled by Rubio's ability to pass, push, and quickly find the open man, but we should not hold Teague to that standard.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,848

Post#612 » by AirP. » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:04 pm

minimus wrote:After today game vs MIL I asked myself about Teague's role in this team. Am I okay with Teague's performance? 9PTS 4-7FG 1-2 3PT 8AST 3TO (two of them were really unnecessary) 1STL 1BLK. Yes, I'd take this type of efficiency every single day if our big trio is playing. I understand that Teague might never justify his contract in current situation. Also he might never be able to execute passes that Rubio executes with easy, because Jeff is a bit short, does not understand angles well and does not have vision and feeling for this type of plays. He probably would never improve a lot in this area. And I'm kind of good with it. However, is there any possible improvements for Teague? Yes, but I think it is more related to team chemistry, execution and practicing together. Better ball movement, better spacing, better screens from our bigs would open more opportunities for Teague to score and pass the ball. And I'm sure he can play better with this team.

Teague's role is vastly different in Minnesota then it was in Atlanta when they were doing so well. Currently when Teague is on the court he's shooting 25% less then he did his last year in Atlanta. When I watch him play in Minnesota instead of taking some open shots he should be taking, he's looking to distribute, that's not what made Teague good. Teague was good because he was a scorer 1st, distributor 2nd and he did well. Being hesitant or not taking shots has really hurt his game. I don't know how many times the clock has run out or ran down to ~2-3 seconds and he passed to a teammate who had to take a rushed/bad shot. That's on Teague and he needs to just start playing his game and quit overthinking getting his teammates involved, that'll happen naturally within his game.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#613 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 2, 2018 7:38 pm

Teague is pretty much on his career averages for:

3PA, 3P%, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, TO's (in per minute basis)

He is close but below career averages on:

FGA: .900 of his career average attemps per minute
FTA: .750 of his career average attemps per minute
Pts: .840 of his career average points per minute
Usage: down 3% compared to his career average

So I dont think we can hope a lot more from him if you consider he is starting his decline (shorter PG usually start to decline earlier and faster) other than skip mental mistakes and awful decisions like the previous game against Atlanta.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#614 » by PharmD » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am

The deadline has come and gone. The dream has died.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#615 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

We don't need teague to do more, we need him to do less.

Him and dieng barely pass for nba players these days.
drummerdevil
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#616 » by drummerdevil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

We need this "era" over
I have a mixtape channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV4ms5y9rORb_rJckP-zngA
You can request a mix and I'll try to make it
Narf
Head Coach

Post#617 » by Narf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:We don't need teague to do more, we need him to do less.

Dieng per 36:
13.4/9.2/2.1, 1.4 steals, 1.0 blocks, .564 TS%, hustles like crazy and does whatever role you ask him even to the detriment to his own stats. Takes charges and above average D.

The f*** you mean he barely passes for an NBA player? Because he had 2 bad games?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#618 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 am

Narf wrote:

Dieng per 36:
13.4/9.2/2.1, 1.4 steals, 1.0 blocks, .564 TS%, hustles like crazy and does whatever role you ask him even to the detriment to his own stats. Takes charges and above average D.

The f*** you mean he barely passes for an NBA player? Because he had 2 bad games?

Above average defense? Not this season.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#619 » by FargoWolf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 am

Narf wrote:

Dieng per 36:

Yep, he is so amazing that we couldn't find any takers for him. Dieng is easily the worst investment Thibs has made.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#620 » by Narf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 am

FargoWolf wrote:
Narf wrote:

Dieng per 36:

Yep, he is so amazing that we couldn't find any takers for him. Dieng is easily the worst investment Thibs has made.

How do you know we didn't have any takers for Dieng?

Oh right, you don't. It shows a lack of integrity to make things up and call them facts.

No one met our value for Dieng. That doesn't mean no one made an offer. We don't know anything about what the Wolves FO really tried to do or didn't try to do.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves