ImageImageImage

Taj Gibson working on his 3 point shot...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Taj Gibson working on his 3 point shot... 

Post#1 » by walk with me » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 pm

For what's it's worth...

I follow joakim Noah on IG and 32 minutes ago on his ig moments he showed taj working out shooting corner 3 pointers . Nothing too crazy here but exciting to know if your looking for some twolve action....
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Re: Taj Gibson working on his 3 point shot... 

Post#2 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 pm

walk with me wrote:For what's it's worth...

I follow joakim Noah on IG and 32 minutes ago on his ig moments he showed taj working out shooting corner 3 pointers . Nothing too crazy here but exciting to know if your looking for some twolve action....

Don't get your hopes up, Thib's had him working on his 3s about 5 years ago on the Bulls, last year Hoiberg had Lopez and Gibson work on their 3s to try to get more outside help. You'd think he'd be able to hit the corner 3s but as of age 32 its' not something added to his game.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:05 pm

AirP. wrote:

Don't get your hopes up, Thib's had him working on his 3s about 5 years ago on the Bulls, last year Hoiberg had Lopez and Gibson work on their 3s to try to get more outside help. You'd think he'd be able to hit the corner 3s but as of age 32 its' not something added to his game.

This is an example of why I HATE the three point shot. Players who have no business shooting it are still shooting it because of the ridiculous 50% bonus it is given.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#4 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 am

KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:

This is an example of why I HATE the three point shot. Players who have no business shooting it are still shooting it because of the ridiculous 50% bonus it is given.

No business shooting it? Why, because they're tall? Are you only allowed to work on certain skills in the offseason now?
"You're over 6'6", that means only post move and rebounding work for you!" You sound like the type of guy who would threaten to bench tall guys if they shot from the outside because they should be inside banging.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:35 am

ace625214 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:

No business shooting it? Why, because they're tall? Are you only allowed to work on certain skills in the offseason now?
"You're over 6'6", that means only post move and rebounding work for you!" You sound like the type of guy who would threaten to bench tall guys if they shot from the outside because they should be inside banging.

No ACE anybody can shoot from wherever they want, but Gibson isn't a good distance shooter at all. If they didn't have the bonus point he would never shoot one that far. However, with the stupid bonus for making longer shots if he can make three out of ten it is worth it. That is part of why I hate the 3 so much.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 am

KGdaBom wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is an example of why I HATE the three point shot. Players who have no business shooting it are still shooting it because of the ridiculous 50% bonus it is given.

No ACE anybody can shoot from wherever they want, but Gibson isn't a good distance shooter at all. If they didn't have the bonus point he would never shoot one that far. However, with the stupid bonus for making longer shots if he can make three out of ten it is worth it. That is part of why I hate the 3 so much.

Which is why he's practicing.

Serious question, how old are you? 60+? I can understand hating the 3pt shot if you grew up playing one way and then a rule changed the game, but if you aren't that old then it was part of the game for your entire life. The NBA adopted it in 1979, and they were late to the party. This is like hating the forward pass.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 am

ace625214 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
ace625214 wrote:

Which is why he's practicing.

Serious question, how old are you? 60+? I can understand hating the 3pt shot if you grew up playing one way and then a rule changed the game, but if you aren't that old then it was part of the game for your entire life. The NBA adopted it in 1979, and they were late to the party. This is like hating the forward pass.

I'm 58 are you implying that is old???????
My age has nothing to do with it. The ABA brought it in as a gimmick to compete with the NBA. It has always sucked. Football doesn't award more points for distance. Neither does hockey. Neither does soccer. Neither does basically any sport. The three did have it's moment, but now it has become the very basis for the game. Longer shots get awarded more so now every player shoots it. It is no longer anything unique. It is kind of easy to make. It destroys the concept of working the ball in. I hate it hate it hate it. The forward pass I like. I don't like the football rules of people growing into giant behemoths who can hit with a megaton of force, but now they have to play the game gentle. Does that make me old fashioned? Is there anything wrong with being old fashioned. The three point shot SUCKS.
Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

Post#8 » by Rashoismydad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 am

Theres nothing wrong with the notion of a three point shot, the problem is the difficulty and reward is not balanced.
Shadilay
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#9 » by Mattya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:37 am

The good old days of basketball. Before the outside shot, goal tending, and the shot clock. The game was just thriving...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am

Mattya wrote:The good old days of basketball. Before the outside shot, goal tending, and the shot clock. The game was just thriving...

The shot clock is fine. I like the goal tending rule, but wish they would change to international that once the ball bounces off the rim it is fair game. The outside shot still had a place in the game before the three and it would still have a place in the game if the three was eliminated. I know the three will never be eliminated, but it SUCKS. It really is nonsense. No other sport does anything like it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:35 am

Rashoismydad wrote:Theres nothing wrong with the notion of a three point shot, the problem is the difficulty and reward is not balanced.

On principle I'm against it. However, I totally get what you are saying. It would probably be just right for risk reward if it was 2.5 instead of 3.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#12 » by Narf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:15 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Rashoismydad wrote:Theres nothing wrong with the notion of a three point shot, the problem is the difficulty and reward is not balanced.

On principle I'm against it. However, I totally get what you are saying. It would probably be just right for risk reward if it was 2.5 instead of 3.

The problem is, no one would guard anyone that far out otherwise. If you're really good, it's a 40% shot. Shots in the paint are also as high a reward. Midrange shots are the ones with less value. Take out the 3 point shot and now everyone steps in and zones the middle. It'd be a grit and grind defense all the time.

Fans want variety. I think restoring the handcheck is the bigger problem. You can't guard someone close anymore, the league wanted that. Change that rule and it'd be much easier to guard people straight up instead of collapsing immediately and leaving an open 3 point shooter.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Narf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

The problem is, no one would guard anyone that far out otherwise. If you're really good, it's a 40% shot. Shots in the paint are also as high a reward. Midrange shots are the ones with less value. Take out the 3 point shot and now everyone steps in and zones the middle. It'd be a grit and grind defense all the time.

Fans want variety. I think restoring the handcheck is the bigger problem. You can't guard someone close anymore, the league wanted that. Change that rule and it'd be much easier to guard people straight up instead of collapsing immediately and leaving an open 3 point shooter.

Shot's in the paint should be a high reward. You have to have skill to get in position to take that shot in the paint. Teams also risk turnovers trying to get the ball in for that shot in the paint. Outside shots were a part of basketball well before the three. Maybe stupid long ones weren't and they shouldn't be.
Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

Post#14 » by Rashoismydad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Ugh the defensive rules are a joke nowadays. I will never understand how an offensive player can swing his arms into the motionless arms of a defender and its a foul on the defender. Seriously, in what world does a defender having his arm out and the offensive player swinging his arms into him (see Durant, Harden etc) constitute a foul on the defender?

Move the 3 point line back, allow hand checking, remove the ticky tack fouls that are so easily abused it leads to players throwing up shots from near mid-court because it will get them 3 free throws. Its horrible basketball.
Shadilay
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#15 » by Note30 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Rashoismydad wrote:Ugh the defensive rules are a joke nowadays. I will never understand how an offensive player can swing his arms into the motionless arms of a defender and its a foul on the defender. Seriously, in what world does a defender having his arm out and the offensive player swinging his arms into him (see Durant, Harden etc) constitute a foul on the defender?

Move the 3 point line back, allow hand checking, remove the ticky tack fouls that are so easily abused it leads to players throwing up shots from near mid-court because it will get them 3 free throws. Its horrible basketball.

Is it possible to move the corner 3pt line back? Feel like you would need to make the court.bigger
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,178

Re: RE: Re: Taj Gibson working on his 3 point shot... 

Post#16 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Rashoismydad wrote:Ugh the defensive rules are a joke nowadays. I will never understand how an offensive player can swing his arms into the motionless arms of a defender and its a foul on the defender. Seriously, in what world does a defender having his arm out and the offensive player swinging his arms into him (see Durant, Harden etc) constitute a foul on the defender?

Compare that to the punches and elbows KAT has to absorb every 20 secs.. No wonder it's a perimeter league.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I'm 58 are you implying that is old???????
My age has nothing to do with it. The ABA brought it in as a gimmick to compete with the NBA. It has always sucked. Football doesn't award more points for distance. Neither does hockey. Neither does soccer. Neither does basically any sport. The three did have it's moment, but now it has become the very basis for the game. Longer shots get awarded more so now every player shoots it. It is no longer anything unique. It is kind of easy to make. It destroys the concept of working the ball in. I hate it hate it hate it. The forward pass I like. I don't like the football rules of people growing into giant behemoths who can hit with a megaton of force, but now they have to play the game gentle. Does that make me old fashioned? Is there anything wrong with being old fashioned. The three point shot SUCKS.

Nope, I didn't say that was old. I was just stating that the only logical way I could come up with for someone hating the 3 point shot this much is if it was introduced after they had already learned the game. You would have been around 20 when the NBA introduced it, so this whole thing makes more sense to me now.

I guess to answer your question at the end, yes, it does make you old-fashioned. These leagues make their money via revenue from the fans. If fans aren't interested, they wouldn't exist.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mattya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:The good old days of basketball. Before the outside shot, goal tending, and the shot clock. The game was just thriving...

The shot clock is fine. I like the goal tending rule, but wish they would change to international that once the ball bounces off the rim it is fair game. The outside shot still had a place in the game before the three and it would still have a place in the game if the three was eliminated. I know the three will never be eliminated, but it SUCKS. It really is nonsense. No other sport does anything like it.

There is a reason that the NBA took off in popularity after its addition.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mattya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:17 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Narf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:On principle I'm against it. However, I totally get what you are saying. It would probably be just right for risk reward if it was 2.5 instead of 3.

Shot's in the paint should be a high reward. You have to have skill to get in position to take that shot in the paint. Teams also risk turnovers trying to get the ball in for that shot in the paint. Outside shots were a part of basketball well before the three. Maybe stupid long ones weren't and they shouldn't be.

Why shouldn't long shots be apart of the game?
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#20 » by fattymcgee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

There is a reason that the NBA took off in popularity after its addition.

The reason wasn't the 3pt shot, it was Bird/Magic.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves