ImageImageImage

Remaining moves for this off season?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Remaining moves for this off season? 

Post#1 » by walk with me » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Things are rounding out nicely.... getting shabazz for a min deal is incredible. As an 8th man he should be destructive to opposing teams.

Who's left?

Personally I'd like Cunningham to back up our 4/5 spot and a back up PG. Tyus is cool but for where we are trying to go I don't think he's enough. Not sure who's left at the 1/2 spot that's quality though.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Re: Remaining moves for this off season? 

Post#2 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2017/

Guards
Ty Lawson, A.Brooks, T.Burke, I.Canaan, M.Ellis, J.Terry, D.Williams, R.Stuckey

Forwards
B.Bass, Cunningham, Diaw, MDJ, G.Green, D.Williams, D.Lee, Motiejunas

Centers
Bogut, Hawes, Hibbert, Splitter, L.Allen

For short term, lesser minute players, there's a decent amount of quality.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#3 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 pm

walk with me wrote:Personally I'd like Cunningham to back up our 4/5 spot and a back up PG.

Cunningham is a 3/4, not a 4/5
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

Post#4 » by Rashoismydad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 pm

I have seen that Brooks/Cunningham is what we might be looking to come away with.
Shadilay
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#5 » by MN7725 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Assuming two more players with spot kept open

Don't see the need for a strictly PG like Aaron Brooks or Trey Burke with Teague/Butler/Crawford/Tyus able to play that role, offensively at least

Rather have more of a combo guard like Foye or Deron Williams (at this point in his career) that have some size and can matchup with wing size players like Eric Gordon or Wes Mathews if needed.

But preferably two more wing/combo forward players like Dante, Morrow, Gerald Green, Rush, Dunleavy. In that order

Going to need them in the playoffs where lineups get downsized so much because of the spacing need, I mean Memphis was playing a scrub like Andrew Harrison more minutes than Jaymachal Green even though they were matched up with a similarly "big" team in the Spurs
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm

MN7725 wrote:Don't see the need for a strictly PG like Aaron Brooks or Trey Burke with Teague/Butler/Crawford/Tyus able to play that role, offensively at least

Rather have more of a combo guard like Foye or Deron Williams (at this point in his career) that have some size and can matchup with wing size players like Eric Gordon or Wes Mathews if needed.

If Butler or Crawford are playing that role offensively, they won't need the guy next to them to be combo guard size because those guys probably won't be guarding the PG.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#7 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Trey Burke, just for the hilarity.
"The last domino falls here!"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Trey Burke, just for the hilarity.

Read on Twitter

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#9 » by theGreatRC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm

If we're really desperate, Deron Williams is still out there.

I'd take him over guys like Aaron Brooks & Beno Udrih
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#10 » by minimus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 am

My cherry on the cake would be either bringing back Rush or trade Aldrich for Bellineli.
Both bring versatility: Rush is 3&D who can defend SF, SG. Bellineli can play some point and hit 3s. Both are veterans who know Thibs system.

That is a big steal to get Shabazz back for vet min and get back Bird rights. I think it is a huge win. Also we are in a good position for midseason trades with OKC pick, Aldrich. I really hope for another steal.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#11 » by theGreatRC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 am

Wish we could trade back for Ricky some how :lol:

I still think he'll be back in a Wolves uni one day
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#12 » by King Malta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 am

theGreatRC wrote:If we're really desperate, Deron Williams is still out there.

I'd take him over guys like Aaron Brooks & Beno Udrih

Maybe over Udrih, but Brooks played some good ball under Thibs at Chicago. Deron looked absolutely cooked towards the end of last season with the Cavs
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 am

minimus wrote:My cherry on the cake would be either bringing back Rush or trade Aldrich for Bellineli.
Both bring versatility: Rush is 3&D who can defend SF, SG. Bellineli can play some point and hit 3s. Both are veterans who know Thibs system.

That is a big steal to get Shabazz back for vet min and get back Bird rights. I think it is a huge win. Also we are in a good position for midseason trades with OKC pick, Aldrich. I really hope for another steal.

You'd rather sign those guys over Cunningham?

minimus
RealGM

Post#14 » by minimus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:My cherry on the cake would be either bringing back Rush or trade Aldrich for Bellineli.

You'd rather sign those guys over Cunningham?

I assume that Dante will sign with us :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#15 » by shrink » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:53 am

For a back up PG, I would not mind Jason Terry.

Sure he's 56 years old, but Thibs is rarely going to play his third stringer, and the role is diminished anyway if the offense is initiated by Jimmy. I think Terry would be another good voice in the clubhouse and at practice, and his value is an investment in professionalism for our youth, even if Terry is a lesser player.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#16 » by Jammer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 am

Bringing Cunningham in means he may be getting Bjelica's minutes.

Cunningham and his agent would have pressed Thibodeau for that answer before signing here or in New Orleans. They would insist on clarity. You have to believe that for him to sign in Minnesota he at least has to have a chance to win the backup PF spot from Bjelica. Cunningham is a better 3 point shooter than Bjelica. Bjelica's strongest attribute is his defense.

And if Cunningham comes on board, then it may mean that Marcus George Hunt, who is unguaranteed until October 18 and $275,000 guaranteed until January 10, may end up signing a Two-Way Contract if he doesn't make the team outright on October 18.

Jason Terry doesn't have the quicks anymore, Tyus will be the backup without question.

But Terry can still be a spot up shooter, and make a shot, Besides being a serviceable backup who will know his place on the roster, he can be relied on to know when to take, and actually make, Big Shots. Terry, despite being 40, is the better choice for 3rd string PG than 32 year old Aaron Brooks, who was always more of a 6' 0" SG defending opposing PGs and confusing people into calling him a PG when he really wasn't. At best he's a "guard". Terry is actually the same, an undersized SG, but a more reliable shooter who's proven repeatedly that he can be counted on to make Big Shots if left open, which on this team, he will be. But he'll still be behind Tyus. Tyus will surprise a lot of folks. Tyus is WAY BETTER than Dunn.
minimus
RealGM

Post#17 » by minimus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am

Jammer wrote:Bringing Cunningham in means he may be getting Bjelica's minutes.
Cunningham and his agent would have pressed Thibodeau for that answer before signing here or in New Orleans. They would insist on clarity. You have to believe that for him to sign in Minnesota he at least has to have a chance to win the backup PF spot from Bjelica. Cunningham is a better 3 point shooter than Bjelica. Bjelica's strongest attribute is his defense.

Bjelica's strongest attribute is his versatility and basketball IQ. Last year he was crucial for our midseason run. Cunningham is better defender and 3pt shooter, but Bjelica is better overall player. Usually after injury Bjelica recovers slowly so I think Dante will have play enough minutes at PF and SF.
Mrva
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#18 » by Mrva » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Bjelica's defense is not his strongest attribute, its just adequate. His strengths are his IQ and "allaroundness". He is solid at everything.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,716

Post#19 » by thinktank » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Both Belly and DC can play 3/4.

I think with DC we'd be set there.

Then just need a PG. I'm hoping Brooks. He's still pretty spry.
"a poor addition to the board"
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#20 » by walk with me » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:08 pm

If you want to have a roster that is equipped to make a deep run into the playoffs belly is not your guy. Dante is tough. Athletic. A willing defender and good at junk plays. He's a thibs prototype. Belly is fine but the time for being mediocre is over

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves