ImageImageImage

Remaining moves for this off season?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Re: Remaining moves for this off season? 

Post#61 » by K4P » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 am

I don't know why people have such little faith in Tyus Jones. I think he is fully capable of playing the backup one and bringing in another scoring point guard would be really redundant imo.If anything, sign a guard with the defensive chops to be thrown in next to tyus or JC if things get out of hand.Tyus has never really gotten a chance to show what he has got which is kind of ridicoulous in my eyes.In a league where Yogi Ferrel finds a starting job, Tyus should be getting more minutes.Him combined with bjelly and Shabazz could really be a plus lineup for the Wolves.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,147

Post#62 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:I don't know why people have such little faith in Tyus Jones. I think he is fully capable of playing the backup one and bringing in another scoring point guard would be really redundant imo.If anything, sign a guard with the defensive chops to be thrown in next to tyus or JC if things get out of hand.Tyus has never really gotten a chance to show what he has got which is kind of ridicoulous in my eyes.In a league where Yogi Ferrel finds a starting job, Tyus should be getting more minutes.Him combined with bjelly and Shabazz could really be a plus lineup for the Wolves.

Because it doesn't really matter if you or I have faith in him. What matters is if Thibs and his staff have faith in him, and I don't think we really know if he does or not at this point. Personally, I lean towards not.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,542

Post#63 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 am

Klomp wrote:
KAT4PREZ wrote:I don't know why people have such little faith in Tyus Jones. I think he is fully capable of playing the backup one and bringing in another scoring point guard would be really redundant imo.If anything, sign a guard with the defensive chops to be thrown in next to tyus or JC if things get out of hand.Tyus has never really gotten a chance to show what he has got which is kind of ridicoulous in my eyes.In a league where Yogi Ferrel finds a starting job, Tyus should be getting more minutes.Him combined with bjelly and Shabazz could really be a plus lineup for the Wolves.

Because it doesn't really matter if you or I have faith in him. What matters is if Thibs and his staff have faith in him, and I don't think we really know if he does or not at this point. Personally, I lean towards not.

Well, training camp starts in 3 days and Thibs hasn't brought in anyone to challenge him for the backup PG position, it's possible that means something
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#64 » by minimus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 am

Worm Guts wrote:Well, training camp starts in 3 days and Thibs hasn't brought in anyone to challenge him for the backup PG position, it's possible that means something

IMO it means that Crawford will play primary ballhandler from bench.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#65 » by minimus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 am

I think we don't need to rush now and sign FAs. I think a better chance to upgrade our bench will be after training camp, when teams release players.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#66 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 am

I think Thibs is fine with Tyus as the second pg and even likes him in that role. He probably wants another vet pg as a break in case of emergency if teague is ever out for an extended period of time. That way, Jones can continue to stay in his role as second pg.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,003

Post#67 » by Nick K » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:39 am

Klomp wrote:

We do know. Thibs has said how impressed he is with Tyus in many ways. He said he was somewhat surprised but "the guy comes to practice every day, works very hard, does things right, and you only have to tell him once." I was paraphrasing there. Tyus definitely has the coaches confidence.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#68 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 am

Klomp wrote:

I think a lot of us have faith in Tyus. I expect him to be a fine backup to Teague.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,508

Post#69 » by My Main Man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 am

Are Tyus and Jahlil Okafor still tight? I wouldn't want Jah as a heavy minute starter, but I wouldn't hate seeing him off the bench with Tyus if they were able to recreate some Duke magic. Any idea what Philly is looking for in a trade? Probably more than we (or most teams) would offer, but still.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,542

Post#70 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 am

minimus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Well, training camp starts in 3 days and Thibs hasn't brought in anyone to challenge him for the backup PG position, it's possible that means something

IMO it means that Crawford will play primary ballhandler from bench.

We can probably get away with that some, but I would bet we'll still need a 2nd PG to get regular minutes
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#71 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:40 pm

My Main Man wrote:Are Tyus and Jahlil Okafor still tight? I wouldn't want Jah as a heavy minute starter, but I wouldn't hate seeing him off the bench with Tyus if they were able to recreate some Duke magic. Any idea what Philly is looking for in a trade? Probably more than we (or most teams) would offer, but still.

Not sure they are going to get much for Okafor, but I would think him off the bench with Tyus could be huge.
What's to trade? Can we send Bazz? They need wings and he could get plenty of minutes. (I think)

I keep asking why are they so willing to dump him after making him the 3rd pick two years ago. :crazy: Anyone have a reason?
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,105

Post#72 » by AirP. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Nick K wrote:We do know. Thibs has said how impressed he is with Tyus in many ways. He said he was somewhat surprised but "the guy comes to practice every day, works very hard, does things right, and you only have to tell him once." I was paraphrasing there. Tyus definitely has the coaches confidence.

Just don't come to me baffled and confused when Jones isn't playing ahead of Aaron Brooks or whoever they bring in at PG.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#74 » by K4P » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Nick K wrote:We do know. Thibs has said how impressed he is with Tyus in many ways. He said he was somewhat surprised but "the guy comes to practice every day, works very hard, does things right, and you only have to tell him once." I was paraphrasing there. Tyus definitely has the coaches confidence.

Just don't come to me baffled and confused when Jones isn't playing ahead of Aaron Brooks or whoever they bring in at PG.

I won't.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#75 » by AirP. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:

We do know. Thibs has said how impressed he is with Tyus in many ways. He said he was somewhat surprised but "the guy comes to practice every day, works very hard, does things right, and you only have to tell him once." I was paraphrasing there. Tyus definitely has the coaches confidence.

That says he's doing what he's being asked, that's not the same as saying he's the backup. Personally I'd expect Brooks and his experience to be the backup, this team has high aspirations and with that you go with more veteran role players who may possibly be lesser overall basketball players but their experience will allow them not make costly mistakes like a young player could. There's also the possibility of promising the backup role to get him to sign with Minnesota.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#76 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Per this report from RotoWorld Brooks will sign with us, but it might only be a camp contract. He may still need to earn his way onto the team.

The Wolves are expected to add Aaron Brooks for training camp.

He has a Tom Thibodeau connection for one season and remains unsigned. Brooks is 32 years old and played 13.8 minutes per game during his 65 outings with the Pacers last season.

Source: Jerry Zgoda on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Per this report from RotoWorld Brooks will sign with us, but it might only be a camp contract. He may still need to earn his way onto the team.

No chance it's a camp contract.

Monsterpile
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#78 » by Monsterpile » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 pm

AirP. wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:Because it doesn't really matter if you or I have faith in him. What matters is if Thibs and his staff have faith in him, and I don't think we really know if he does or not at this point. Personally, I lean towards not.

That says he's doing what he's being asked, that's not the same as saying he's the backup. Personally I'd expect Brooks and his experience to be the backup, this team has high aspirations and with that you go with more veteran role players who may possibly be lesser overall basketball players but their experience will allow them not make costly mistakes like a young player could. There's also the possibility of promising the backup role to get him to sign with Minnesota.

We will see how it plays out but it seems to me if Brooks was coming here basically as the guy as a backup PG he likely would have signed weeks ago even for the vet min. The reality is there are plenty of stats that say Tyus was better last year as a 20 year old 2nd year player than Brooks was as a 32 year old vet. They need someone though in case a PG gets hurt though because I don't think they want to have to play Crawford as a PG although they could if they had to.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#79 » by theGreatRC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Per this report from RotoWorld Brooks will sign with us, but it might only be a camp contract. He may still need to earn his way onto the team.

No chance it's a camp contract.

Pretty much a reg season deal, at least that's what i'm getting from this:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
AirP.
RealGM

Post#80 » by AirP. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Monsterpile wrote:We will see how it plays out but it seems to me if Brooks was coming here basically as the guy as a backup PG he likely would have signed weeks ago even for the vet min. The reality is there are plenty of stats that say Tyus was better last year as a 20 year old 2nd year player than Brooks was as a 32 year old vet. They need someone though in case a PG gets hurt though because I don't think they want to have to play Crawford as a PG although they could if they had to.

I'd guess Brooks was hoping to get more money somewhere else, he's nearly done with making money in NBA and needs to get everything he can.

Tyus may have better stats but I'm not sure that's not as important as just eating up minutes and not making mistakes like young players seem to do.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves