Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,542

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#621 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

SBM wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
SBM wrote:Rubio looked pretty bad in GM1 vs OKC. He reminds of Marvin Williams the change in teams helped him a lot to get away from that 1st team who was hell bent on him being something he is not.

The only real issues with Rubio here were that he never had a good team around him and that he didn't reach fan expectations. He's still mostly the same guy playing the same role with Utah.

LOL, assists don't tell it all, but 5.3 assists leads me to think he didn't have the ball in his hands as much there.

I'm not sure what you're implying, that Ricky is better off the ball?
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#622 » by SBM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm not implying anything I simply said he isn't playing the same way.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Re: RE: Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#623 » by minimus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

SBM wrote:I'm not implying anything I simply said he isn't playing the same way.

I guess that USG % is the statistic you are looking for. Rubio is the same player and he plays the same way. Even his little struggles in first half of the season and good second half are the same. But talent is different, he doesnt have around elite athletes such as Wiggins or LaVine. They have defensive minded bigmen, who cant score from everywhere like KAT does. But they move the ball much better, they defend better.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#624 » by ace625214 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Ricky still handles the ball a ton, but it's a pretty big decrease. This season he's at 5.9mpg with the ball in his hands (16th in the NBA) compared to 7.9mpg (6th) last season. Part of that is the amount of shots he takes, and part of it is that Utah runs a much more egalitarian offense. Ricky will make a pass that leads to more passes and cuts, rather than the player receiving either shooting it or giving it back. Utah has more playmakers/distributors than Minnesota had in the past, so Ricky can start something with a good pass that will lead to two more passes and a finish. He doesn't have to spoon-feed everyone. This is shown by him receiving 63.1 passes this season compared to 70.1 last season.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#625 » by PharmD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 am

SBM wrote:Rubio looked pretty bad in GM1 vs OKC. He reminds of Marvin Williams the change in teams helped him a lot to get away from that 1st team who was hell bent on him being something he is not.

He was superb in game 1 with the exception of his shot not going in. Similar story in game 2.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#626 » by SBM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 am

We must have watched different games in GM1
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#627 » by PharmD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am

I watched it 3x. I'd recommend a rewatch if you think Ricky wasn't good.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,979

Post#628 » by Sugarless » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am

Haters are going to hate and you can't do anything about that. Plus it's not worth the time.

Ricky was great on defense, rebounding and hustle plays on the first game, and he had a positive impact on offense in the second half. He was overly agressive with his shot and he made a point to change that during halftime and after the game, and he succeeded. Other than his poor shot selection, he played a very good all around game and kept Westbrook to 7/17 from the floor with 7 assists to 5 TO while they shared the court (3 of those TOs caused by Ricky, who also blocked Westbrook once and made him miss a lot).

Last night he was even better, again top notch defense against Westbrook of all people (he's always made RW's life tough, just like Curry's), great rebounding and a better job of choosing his shots while also sharing the ball. He's having a geat year despite the less than ideal system for him and I for one couldn't be happier for the guy.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#629 » by PharmD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 am

Corey Brewer was outdueled by Ricky Rubio, who had a triple double. Quite impressive in doing so as well.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#630 » by LesGrossman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 am

Haters always lure in the background while he is on a roll, to reliably creep out and bark out the same ol tune that he has proven wrong so many times when he is off for one game. A dude flooded the Jazz board wtih pure Rubio hate for the beginning of the season, never to be seen again since ASB. People should know better by now.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#631 » by jmoy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:25 pm

If Teague actually keeps playing like he has in the payoffs and especially in Game 3 and Rubio also keeps playing better, this could certainly be a time where both teams did well in the trade as the talent just didn't fit.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#632 » by packforfreedom » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm enjoing life right now. We win against the Rockets and Rubio's outplaying Westbrook in the playoffs and FINALLY gets the attention he deserves.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#633 » by PharmD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Ricky averaging 20-8-8 while locking down the reigning MVP. It appears he is not a liability in a playoff series. He's not shooting particularly well tho
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,207

Post#634 » by Domejandro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm

jmoy wrote:If Teague actually keeps playing like he has in the payoffs and especially in Game 3 and Rubio also keeps playing better, this could certainly be a time where both teams did well in the trade as the talent just didn't fit.

Ricky pretty obviously could have fit well on this roster, if I am being honest.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,562

Post#635 » by Calinks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 am

Jime Pete on the Radio said a major reason why Rubio wanted to go was because so many past coaching staff members not believing in him and a huge factor was fan criticsim. Pete said that at home games a lot of fans said some horrible things to Rubio all the time at shoot around. He had enough and Utah fans have really embraced him and the team as a whole has a huge chemistry/connection and Rubio thrives off of that. I am happy he found what he needed.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#636 » by Sugarless » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 am

He's shooting 38.5% from the floor and is still dominating Westbrook and the games against the Thunder.

#CantMakeThePlayoffsWithRubio
#CantWinGamesInThePlayoffsWithRubio
#TheyWillSagOffAndLetHimShootYouOutOfTheGames
#TheyWillTakeAwayThePassingLanesAndHeWontBeEffective
#PGDefenseDoesntMoveTheNeedle
#AdvancedStatsAreOverrated

He's sending a big **** off to all the ignorant haters (you know who you are :wave:) by doing exactly what he's done all his life: being the smartest guy on the court and outworking everyone.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#637 » by PharmD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Calinks wrote:Jime Pete on the Radio said a major reason why Rubio wanted to go was because so many past coaching staff members not believing in him and a huge factor was fan criticsim. Pete said that at home games a lot of fans said some horrible things to Rubio all the time at shoot around. He had enough and Utah fans have really embraced him and the team as a whole has a huge chemistry/connection and Rubio thrives off of that. I am happy he found what he needed.

That would make sense and explain a lot imo. It would explain Jimmy's hostility (if Ricky wanted out rather than to play with him) and it would explain why we signed Teague (nobody with even a minimal basketball IQ would have preferred Teague over Rubio). Sad it had to be like that but god damn have the Jazz been AWESOME to watch the last 3 months.

It's fun that the whole world like "Ricky Rubio finally becoming the player he was drafted to be". Um no, you're just seeing him play multiple games for the first time. This is who he has always been. Why do you think his impact stats were always so sick? Reminder that the Wolves were +355 with him on and -1585 with him off.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#638 » by Maefteda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Trust me. The same will happen with Wiggins if we ship him out.

We really need to work on being more positive as fans of this franchise. The negativity isn't going to help us in the future. Wish we had a more positive outlook like they have in Philly.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#639 » by Sugarless » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Well Jim Pete should look no further than the mirror if he wants to find people who were often unfairly and extremely critical of Rubio (while at the same time giving a pass to the young guys because... you know... he works for the organization). Of course he would jump on the bandwagon anytime Ricky had a string of good games, because that's what a guy like Jim Pete does -always trying to be right-, but if you're looking for people who didn't trust Rubio, JP was definitely one of them.

I think Minny was a great place for Ricky. He genuinely loved it there and the fans and the organization were great to him for the most part. It was just a pitty that things went south so fast after Thibs took over, cause Thibodeau never liked him to begin with and Rubio was just left aside while the Wolves tried to move him and focused on selling Zach-Wiggs-KAT as "the core". I also think with a good development oriented coach and Ricky growing into the leader that he is, KAT would have made big strides on his game these past couple of seasons. He's got it all to be effective on defense and dominate on offense if he gets the ball at the right time and the right spots, but we (some of us, at least) know what happens when a young guy doesn't have the right culture around him and is never held accountable. If only the Wolves had gone with Kenny Atkinson (my first choice then), trusted Ricky and kept KG around...

Anyway, I'm glad he's doing so well in Utah and I can't wait for the Wolves to have a team worth rooting for again. I want them to win, but other than that I just can't make myself like them with such an ugly brand of basketball and unlikeable personalities.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#640 » by PharmD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Maefteda wrote:Trust me. The same will happen with Wiggins if we ship him out.

We really need to work on being more positive as fans of this franchise. The negativity isn't going to help us in the future. Wish we had a more positive outlook like they have in Philly.

Wiggins has David Ortiz written all over him imo. He'll always be tantalizingly mediocre in Minnesota but as soon as he gets shipped elsewhere he'll explode and make us look dumb.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves