Updates on former Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#581 » by Killboard » Wed Apr 4, 2018 12:57 pm

Sugarless wrote:
PharmD wrote:Ricky has 25 in the first half on 7/10 shooting, 4/6 from 3, 7/7 from the line

That was his way of telling Timberwolves fans that what happened Sunday wasn't personal.

The truth is Rubio is always the most competitive guy on the floor, and he lives for these games. No wonder he's doing so well.

Funny thing:

Rubio average .85 Points per shot in spot ups.
Teague average 1.0 point per shot in spot ups.

Despite that, Rubio average 3.3 points per game in spot up shooting vs Teague 1.8 points.

So basically we traded Rubio away to bring in a someone who is better than him at something that we dont utilize close enough to payoff what he is worst at. Let alone money (and other needs), age and size.
RazorC
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#582 » by RazorC » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:06 pm

I didn't hear it but according to the Common Man on KFAN, Rubio attributed his successes in Utah to the system and playing a more team oriented game. I don't think it's anything surprising considering the isolation style the Wolves usually play but it still sounds like a bit of a shot at Thibs.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#583 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 9, 2018 12:08 am

Congrats to our boy Ricardo Rubio for making the playoffs the first time in his career, well deserved.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#584 » by PharmD » Mon Apr 9, 2018 1:27 am

mercgold3 wrote:Congrats to our boy Ricardo Rubio for making the playoffs the first time in his career, well deserved.

Read on Twitter

Ricky has a +18.3 net rating since January 24th. I think that's the best of any starting player in the league.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#585 » by PharmD » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:43 am

Some very nice words from Sam Mitchell about Ricky

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#586 » by LordBaldric » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:57 am

PharmD wrote:Some very nice words from Sam Mitchell about Ricky

Wow. I thought the trade was good because Thibs knows best what he needs in his system. Boy was I wrong. The trade was bad and Thibs seemingly knows nothing!
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,833

Post#587 » by Domejandro » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:56 am

I miss Ricky so much, it is a travesty for Minnesota basketball that we squandered such a talented, athletic roster in the we have.

Ricky Rubio / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Andrew Wiggins / Jamal Crawford
Jimmy Butler / C.J. Miles / Shabazz Muhammad
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica
Karl-Anthony Towns / Gorgui Dieng

....That roster just looks better.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#588 » by Note30 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:57 pm

Domejandro wrote:I miss Ricky so much, it is a travesty for Minnesota basketball that we squandered such a talented, athletic roster in the we have.

I love Ricky but no it doesn't. System and culture fit this would be a poor idea.

This is still Thibs system, and spamming entry passes to KAT would now be replaced with hand Jimmy the ball and get out of the way.
Ricky while on Thibs system is going to not live up to expectations.

What Jon said on the podcast is true, Ricky needs this team to feel like a family, Thibs is straight business. I feel that both cultures have upsides, but clearly there's conflict if both cultures clash. There's a reason Thibs tried to trade Ricky and then Ricky asked for a trade.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#589 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:00 pm

Note30 wrote:What Jon said on the podcast is true, Ricky needs this team to feel like a family, Thibs is straight business. I feel that both cultures have upsides, but clearly there's conflict if both cultures clash. There's a reason Thibs tried to trade Ricky and then Ricky asked for a trade.

I think that's a very good explanation. Also somewhat speaks to the disconnect between the organization and Garnett.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Post#590 » by PerFex » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:17 pm

Ricky Rubio last 28 games(since JAN 24) 16.3 points 53% eFG 45% 3-point 6.3 assists 5.4 rebounds

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#591 » by cpfsf » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:05 pm

Domejandro wrote:I miss Ricky so much, it is a travesty for Minnesota basketball that we squandered such a talented, athletic roster in the we have.

Ill put my views on Rubio versus teague aside since I feel it's rehashing. My issue in hindsight is that Utah is playing some great basketball. And Minnesota contributed to their success. But let's see how thibs uses. That pick.

Thank you Hayward for choosing boston.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#592 » by ace625214 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:45 pm

The "Rubio can never be on a winning team" crowd has been awfully quiet lately.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#593 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:51 pm

cpfsf wrote:

Ill put my views on Rubio versus teague aside since I feel it's rehashing. My issue in hindsight is that Utah is playing some great basketball. And Minnesota contributed to their success. But let's see how thibs uses. That pick.

Thank you Hayward for choosing boston.

Man... Have Hayward stayed (and not injured) I think the Jazz would be a real contender this season and the years to come. Obviusly Thibs didnt know his decision when he traded Ricky.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#594 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:53 pm

PerFex wrote:Ricky Rubio last 28 games(since JAN 24) 16.3 points 53% eFG 45% 3-point 6.3 assists 5.4 rebounds

he is 1st in net rating since Jan 27 in the whole league:

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=01%2F27%2F2018&CF=MIN*G*24
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#595 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:01 pm

Ricky also appears to setting another career high in FG%. Not that he's Steve Nash or anything, but it's getting to respectability.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#596 » by Note30 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:31 pm

ace625214 wrote:The "Rubio can never be on a winning team" crowd has been awfully quiet lately.

It's just **** that it has to be on another team. If we don't make the playoffs this season, Thibs should never be allowed near another basketball related job for a decade.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#597 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:47 pm

ace625214 wrote:The "Rubio can never be on a winning team" crowd has been awfully quiet lately.

I'm not saying Rubio can't be on a winning team, but.....

For the record, Utah is 11-15 without Gobert. Comparable to Minnesota's record without Jimmy Butler. Let's not act like Rubio is the sole reason why they're winning.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#598 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:49 pm

Klomp wrote:

For the record, Utah is 11-15 without Gobert. Comparable to Minnesota's record without Jimmy Butler. Let's not act like Rubio is the sole reason why they're winning.

He's not at all. But let's not forget how many people blame Rubio and Rubio only for this team not making the playoffs in previous years.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#599 » by Note30 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:49 pm

Klomp wrote:

No one ever said that. People said he couldn't be the starting PG for a playoff team. He is now. All he apparently needed was a shift of culture.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#600 » by Calinks » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm so happy to see him having success and as Smitch said, he has earned it! It is annoying that its kind of at our expense and I will be pissed at the fact that they are in the playoffs and we may not be but man this is great. I hope Bazz can find a way to get something going for himself too. The right system, with the right personal makes all the difference. Rubio is for sure in a better place. Hayward may have goofed jumping ship, got to see if Boston manages to stay healthy next season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves