Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,621

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#641 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm

PharmD wrote:
Maefteda wrote:Trust me. The same will happen with Wiggins if we ship him out.

We really need to work on being more positive as fans of this franchise. The negativity isn't going to help us in the future. Wish we had a more positive outlook like they have in Philly.

Wiggins has David Ortiz written all over him imo. He'll always be tantalizingly mediocre in Minnesota but as soon as he gets shipped elsewhere he'll explode and make us look dumb.

Eh. David Ortiz never really had a great opportunity with Twins. He was never a full time player and they always tried mess with his swing. Wiggins has had nothing but great opportunity here.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,883

Post#642 » by Calinks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:41 pm

For Rubio though. I don't think it could have been any better here. The team he has in Utah, and how they play, really helps him shine. I don't think our playstyle would have suited him as much. He just has a better squad around him with that set up.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#643 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Calinks wrote:For Rubio though. I don't think it could have been any better here. The team he has in Utah, and how they play, really helps him shine. I don't think our playstyle would have suited him as much. He just has a better squad around him with that set up.

I don't know about that anymore. At some point i tough the same thing but the way we played a point guard that can actually run a team would be amazing.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#644 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Calinks wrote:For Rubio though. I don't think it could have been any better here. The team he has in Utah, and how they play, really helps him shine. I don't think our playstyle would have suited him as much. He just has a better squad around him with that set up.

I'm not sure what means exactly. Rubio averaged 13, 5 and 5 this season. His numbers really weren't any better than were here. His only career high was in FG%, which was 2% higher than last year and PPG.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#645 » by Maefteda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Rubio was amazing for us post All-Star last season, when he actually got to run some offense.

GP | MIN | FGM-FGA | FG% | 3PM-3PA | 3P% | FTM-FTA | FT% | OR | DR | REB | AST | BLK | STL | PF | TO | PTS |
24 | 34.7 | 5.2-12.3 | .420 | 1.0-2.8 | .353 | 4.6-5.0 | .917 | 0.9 | 3.8 | 4.6 | 10.5 | 0.2 | 1.5 | 3.0 | 3.0 | 16.0 |
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#646 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

I'm not sure what means exactly. Rubio averaged 13, 5 and 5 this season. His numbers really weren't any better than were here. His only career high was in FG%, which was 2% higher than last year and PPG.

Yeah, I didn't see huge changes, but he truly was one of those players who needed a fresh start. He lost most of his real fan base missing so many wide open shots. I also think the barking from Thibs unnerved Rubio. He needed to play by instinct, and running a offense where he hangs out in the corner didn't suit him.
I have no ill feelings for him or Utah.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#647 » by Calinks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Yea sometimes players just need a change of environment. I think Bazz has looked a lot better, more like his previous self of being an instant offense guy on the Bucks. Here with how we play it was harder for him. I also think his confidence was shot.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#648 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm

I just tend to think Rubio is playing around the same level he always he has, by some measures better, by some measures worse but the biggest difference is the quality of teammates he has around him. I think he would have done fine on this current Wolves team as well.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,119

Post#649 » by LesGrossman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I just tend to think Rubio is playing around the same level he always he has, by some measures better, by some measures worse but the biggest difference is the quality of teammates he has around him. I think he would have done fine on this current Wolves team as well.

Thats it. Watching every Jazz game of this season i can confirm that they havent seen ONE really good game out of Rubio yet, no matter how extatic the fans are. Main reason being the motion offense that makes him give up the ball at least 50% of the posessions once he crosses half court. For the last 5 minutes, Snyder inexplicably goes to Mitchell bringing the ball and initiating or going 1 on 5. If you know Rubio you immediately understand that this offense takes away his greatest offensive strength which is to penetrate and set up his guys. And still he manages to adjust (by shooting more, efficiently) and playing stingy defense - actually more than he ever did before, because unlike KAT, he knows he has an actual big behind him who takes pride in playing defense. He can really pester the guy with the ball now and even if he blows by him he runs into a wall named Gobert (meanwhile Favors is quietly also playing great help defense).

So i totally agree, Rubio hasnt "learned", or "improved" at all. He just has the trust of his coach now and the confidence turns into numbers, and wins.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,111
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#650 » by cpfsf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I just tend to think Rubio is playing around the same level he always he has, by some measures better, by some measures worse but the biggest difference is the quality of teammates he has around him. I think he would have done fine on this current Wolves team as well.

that's pretty much a good summary. if hayward stayed, rubio would have really thrived. he'd be the same player but in a better situation.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#651 » by Calinks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Those are good assessments. I do think he's better off in Utah though for all the other reasons include teammates he has. It was the right move for him just like Love to Cleveland or KG to Boston.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#652 » by PharmD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Calinks wrote:Those are good assessments. I do think he's better off in Utah though for all the other reasons include teammates he has. It was the right move for him just like Love to Cleveland or KG to Boston.

??

Love like instantly became a shell of his former self in Cleveland. I mean i guess he got to win...
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#653 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:43 am

That's what I mean. Most of all he wanted to win and he went somewhere he could do that.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,014

Post#654 » by Sugarless » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 am

I've seen Ricky play better on a regular basis on the Wolves than he has on the Jazz. I've seen him play in more fitting systems than he has in SLC. I've seen him will the Wolves to a win and to stay competitive way more than he has for Utah. I've watched him be even more intense as a Wolf, because he wanted Minnesota to win so bad for so many years and at times it seemed like he was the only one that truly cared out there. There's absolutely zero reason to think he would have been worse in Minnesota, unless you think Thibs would have sent him to a corner again and kept him there, in which case that would be once again on Thibs, not Ricky.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,263

Post#655 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:13 pm

Here's the guy who cost you own 1st round pick this year defending against Luka Donicic.
Read on Twitter
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#656 » by TheDominator273 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 pm

AirP. wrote:Here's the guy who cost you own 1st round pick this year defending against Luka Donicic.
Read on Twitter

Man the whiff on Payne was so bad. Flip got suckered by his buddy Izzo
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#657 » by Calinks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 am

I missed it but looks like Bazz has produced again. Sparkplug is back
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#658 » by PharmD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 pm

lbj273 wrote:
AirP. wrote:Here's the guy who cost you own 1st round pick this year defending against Luka Donicic.
Read on Twitter

Man the whiff on Payne was so bad. Flip got suckered by his buddy Izzo

I'm still confused as to what happened there. Apparently Izzo raved to Flip about Payne's character and convinced Flip to make that trade but now we've found out Payne was involved in some rape thing?
AirP.
RealGM

Post#659 » by AirP. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:41 pm

PharmD wrote:I'm still confused as to what happened there. Apparently Izzo raved to Flip about Payne's character and convinced Flip to make that trade but now we've found out Payne was involved in some rape thing?

Yeah, I think Flip was sold on him by the draft but ultimately decided to go with LaVine at 12 with Payne going 15th to Atlanta. He basically leveraged future picks to get a current guy he wanted at #12. I can't really fault the logic but it didn't really work out as expected and that sometimes happens.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#660 » by AirP. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Calinks wrote:I missed it but looks like Bazz has produced again. Sparkplug is back

I really wonder how much going back to Minnesota for the vet minimum after turning down money he'll never see again messed with his head. If the rumors are true that he showed up at practice drunk, there's no way he could have ever worked in Minnesota because of the money situation.

The Shabazz situation should be relatable to anyone who has a job, if your company came to you and said they'd want to give you a long term contract for your job with a lot of money, you turn it down thinking there's more out there only to find out if you want to keep getting paid you'd have to take minimum wage where you currently were employed, you'd probably not be all that happy nor give even a good effort because of resentment towards the company although you made the decision not to take the millions.

I feel really bad for Shabazz and I think Minnesota lost good asset because Shabazz rolled the dice and lost and that put himself in a funk. This season's production in Minnesota was way worse by far than anything else he's done in the NBA. But of course, if Shabazz turns it around(which I think he can) it'll be blamed on Thibs not getting the most out of Shabazz. There's nothing Thibs could do with Shabazz losing around 9 million dollars last season alone.

Although Minnesota may be losing a good asset in Shabazz because of the situation, Minnesota may be gaining a good asset because of situations with D.Rose. He was a decent high volume scorer in NY, played out of position in Cleveland and then joined Thibs again who knows how to utilize him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves