ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Around the League Discussion 

Post#1 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:50 am

I didn't see one of these. Feel free to merge if there is.

Anyone watching Denver vs. Kyle Kuzma right now? No surprise, but Denver looks like they're going to be scoring a lot this year. They've got 103 with 1:30 left in the 3rd.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,324

Re: Around the League Pre-Season Game Discussion 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:01 am

I love Kyle Kuzma. He may wind up being better than ball. Looking like a big steal, he just has an aura about him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#3 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:57 am

Trying hard not to laugh

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#4 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:45 am

Klomp wrote:Trying hard not to laugh

Read on Twitter

I feel so bad for Bulls fans this year. They're going to be such and unbelievable train wreck. But also, it's hard to feel sorry for any franchise ever as a Timberwolves fan.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Around the League Discussion 

Post#5 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#6 » by LibertyPrime » Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh good grief. Well, I hope his knees hold up.
"The last domino falls here!"
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 9, 2017 11:13 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd say odds against him completing this contract healthy are at 5-1. It's the same contract that Wiggins has inexplicably not signed yet.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 9, 2017 11:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd say odds against him completing this contract healthy are at 5-1. It's the same contract that Wiggins has inexplicably not signed yet.

Well Wiggins now has proof that it doesn't really matter if you get hurt before signing the extension.

If Embiid can get it having played 31/246 games, why would the chance of a summer injury stop someone who's played 245/246 games from getting paid?

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 9, 2017 11:35 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:

Well Wiggins now has proof that it doesn't really matter if you get hurt before signing the extension.

If Embiid can get it having played 31/246 games, why would the chance of a summer injury stop someone who's played 245/246 games from getting paid?

IF Wiggins has a significant injury and we move on with Towns Butler. He would have nobody to blame but himself. It seems to me that Wiggins probably got upset about a perception that Towns and Butler wanted to trade him for Irving. He just wants to quietly request a trade or demand a player option behind the scenes. There is too much smoke here. Even if he does eventually sign the deal I will always believe that something was going on.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 9, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm hearing rumors of protective clauses for the 76ers based on Embiid's health. Stay tuned.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 am

Embiid’s contract is guaranteed for 50 percent of the $148 million, according to The Vertical’s Shams Charania, with a super max trigger, likely if he reaches a certain number of games played each season.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,324

Post#12 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Trying hard not to laugh

Read on Twitter

I feel so bad for Bulls fans this year. They're going to be such and unbelievable train wreck. But also, it's hard to feel sorry for any franchise ever as a Timberwolves fan.

I feel bad for Zach. He could be on a losing team until he's 30.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 am

KGdaBom wrote:There is too much smoke here.

There is no smoke, except to paranoid Minnesota sports fans who believe everything will go wrong eventually.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Klomp wrote:

There is no smoke, except to paranoid Minnesota sports fans who believe everything will go wrong eventually.

Klomp I appreciate your attitude and I knew you would disagree with me. However, Wiggins has had every chance in the world to sign his MAX contract and still hasn't. How can that not be considered smoke. Something strange is going on. A 22 year old man risking $148 million dollars isn't going to happen unless something is going on. A desire to be traded, an uncertainty if he wants to remain or a holdout attempting to get a player option are the only things I can think of. In the end I do believe he will sign it as is, but to act like absolutely nothing is going on seems contrary to the facts to me.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,770

Post#15 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Klomp I appreciate your attitude and I knew you would disagree with me. However, Wiggins has had every chance in the world to sign his MAX contract and still hasn't. How can that not be considered smoke. Something strange is going on. A 22 year old man risking $148 million dollars isn't going to happen unless something is going on. A desire to be traded, an uncertainty if he wants to remain or a holdout attempting to get a player option are the only things I can think of. In the end I do believe he will sign it as is, but to act like absolutely nothing is going on seems contrary to the facts to me.

There's a bunch of different reasons he hasn't signed, I usually just post the money outside of basketball aspect that has possibly changed being the 2nd best wing on the team now.

Is it possible that there's some stipulations in the contract to reach max money? For instance making he all-star team, all-nba teams, hitting certain milestones each year in things like scoring, rebounds, assists, steals.... or possibly just showing a certain % of improvement in some of those areas?

As far as we all know, the money has been agreed upon, the real sticking point is that once he signs Minnesota can do whatever they want with him in the next 6 years(this year and 5 years in the contract) as in trade him or basically push him into a role he doesn't want to play like concentrating on 3 and D instead of being the focal point of the offense.

Wiggins is going to get paid the max by someone even with a horrific injury this season, so the nba contract money is there. That said he may want to wait another season to see what his role will be in actual games which may really effect his money outside of his nba contract, like for instance, his shoe deal(which hasn't been reworked yet), being a young talented wing on an up and coming team is probably worth more then being the #3 guy on a really good team. Still good money but definitely not the same amount of money.

A team and player both agreeing to the max usually happens in July, it's usually a no brainier for both parties. This isn't Embiid where the team and agent are probably fighting about how much is guaranteed because of the injury history of the player. There is definitely smoke and I've said that for months now, well, ever since the Butler trade.

It's not like people outside of Minnesota don't think there's possible problems...
Read on Twitter
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#16 » by vagelis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm

I also have a feeling that there is smoke..
A lot of assumptions can be made but let's see what will happen. I think there are not many days left for this contract to be signed or not.
Do we know if there is a deadline and if yes when the deadline expires?
AirP.
RealGM

Post#17 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:31 pm

vagelis wrote:Do we know if there is a deadline and if yes when the deadline expires?

We’re a week from the deadline for 2014 first-round Draft picks to get contract extensions. Those that don’t will become restricted free agents next summer, able to sign offer sheets from other teams which the incumbent teams can match. Deals that don’t look possible today often get done in the last seven days before the deadline, and this year will be no different.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/09/morning-tip-extensions-2014-draft-picks-andrew-wiggins-jabari-parker-joel-embiid#/
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#18 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

AirP. wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:There is no smoke, except to paranoid Minnesota sports fans who believe everything will go wrong eventually.

There's a bunch of different reasons he hasn't signed, I usually just post the money outside of basketball aspect that has possibly changed being the 2nd best wing on the team now.

Is it possible that there's some stipulations in the contract to reach max money? For instance making he all-star team, all-nba teams, hitting certain milestones each year in things like scoring, rebounds, assists, steals.... or possibly just showing a certain % of improvement in some of those areas?

As far as we all know, the money has been agreed upon, the real sticking point is that once he signs Minnesota can do whatever they want with him in the next 6 years(this year and 5 years in the contract) as in trade him or basically push him into a role he doesn't want to play like concentrating on 3 and D instead of being the focal point of the offense.

Wiggins is going to get paid the max by someone even with a horrific injury this season, so the nba contract money is there. That said he may want to wait another season to see what his role will be in actual games which may really effect his money outside of his nba contract, like for instance, his shoe deal(which hasn't been reworked yet), being a young talented wing on an up and coming team is probably worth more then being the #3 guy on a really good team. Still good money but definitely not the same amount of money.

A team and player both agreeing to the max usually happens in July, it's usually a no brainier for both parties. This isn't Embiid where the team and agent are probably fighting about how much is guaranteed because of the injury history of the player. There is definitely smoke and I've said that for months now, well, ever since the Butler trade.

It's not like people outside of Minnesota don't think there's possible problems...
Read on Twitter

Remember everyone random verified twitter user posts picture of Wiggins not smiling next to Butler is apparently enough verification to confirm that Wiggins is indeed morphing into Derrick Rose.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#19 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Klomp wrote:

And just random trolls who want to come up with some complex set of dramatic nonsense anytime Wiggins doesn’t smile.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#20 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Mattya wrote:Remember everyone random verified twitter user posts picture of Wiggins not smiling next to Butler is apparently enough verification to confirm that Wiggins is indeed morphing into Derrick Rose.

Ok, here's NBA.com.
Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves