Preseason Game 3 vs Warriors

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Preseason Game 3 vs Warriors 

Post#61 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 8, 2017 8:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
Loyal[]Wolf wrote:That was just an incredible shooting performance by Stephen and Clay. I don't think any team would of won against that.

This is where I'm at too.

I mean really, we played GS fairly evenly for 3 halves, and got destroyed in the last half. But instead of people being encouraged about that first point, you'll see people freaking out about the blowout loss which was essentially one half of bad basketball. Does it need to be fixed? Of course. But I'm not going to freak out about it and make it into something it isn't.

We don't suck. The season isn't over.

Not worried one teeny tiny bit.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,511

Post#62 » by AirP. » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:06 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Just watched highlights of the Wolves vs Warriors last night. Watching the Warriors shoot three after three after three is just boring basketball. They don't even try to work it in. Of course because of the 50% bonus on long shots it is super effective.

A lot of teams are going to this, it's kinda cool to see this at first but it's starting to become just a 3pt shooting contest, that's not good for the longterm health of the league. People want to see more dunks, nice moves, incredible passing and... maybe just maybe some low post play that revolves strength(probably less people want that then I do). The league will have a problem with this in a few years. It's not the incredible shooters who do things with the ball, it's everyone else just spotting up and taking 3s without having to move.

In case you missed it I HATE the 3 point shot. It was cool at one time. Now it just makes a mockery of the game. Gee how exciting they are going to shoot another three because if they can make 33% it is well worth it.

A few more years of this, everyone looking to take 3s most of the game and people will get board with it and move on. For as incredible the players are now, this type of gameplay could get stale and end up losing a portion of the fanbase. How many years will fans be good with just watching 3s being jacked up. I think bringing back hand checking would help.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#63 » by AirP. » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:10 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Eh, they're the two-time champs, and this group has only played 3 games together. Not time to get hysterical.

Right, the game doesn't even count. To play even 3 quarters with GS who has had years to gel(outside of Durant) with a brand new team that's practiced a couple of weeks together is pretty good. Minnesota's players don't even know each other's tendencies and how to react to them, both offensively and defensively. They just stayed with a team that some consider one of the best of all time for 3 quarters, I think it's a very good sign.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#64 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:11 pm

AirP. wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:A lot of teams are going to this, it's kinda cool to see this at first but it's starting to become just a 3pt shooting contest, that's not good for the longterm health of the league. People want to see more dunks, nice moves, incredible passing and... maybe just maybe some low post play that revolves strength(probably less people want that then I do). The league will have a problem with this in a few years. It's not the incredible shooters who do things with the ball, it's everyone else just spotting up and taking 3s without having to move.

In case you missed it I HATE the 3 point shot. It was cool at one time. Now it just makes a mockery of the game. Gee how exciting they are going to shoot another three because if they can make 33% it is well worth it.

A few more years of this, everyone looking to take 3s most of the game and people will get board with it and move on. For as incredible the players are now, this type of gameplay could get stale and end up losing a portion of the fanbase. How many years will fans be good with just watching 3s being jacked up. I think bringing back hand checking would help.

I have no illusion that the three will ever be eliminated, but something has to be done. Move it back about 5 feet would be about right.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#65 » by AirP. » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:In case you missed it I HATE the 3 point shot. It was cool at one time. Now it just makes a mockery of the game. Gee how exciting they are going to shoot another three because if they can make 33% it is well worth it.

I have no illusion that the three will ever be eliminated, but something has to be done. Move it back about 5 feet would be about right.

And eliminate the side 3s? They're not going to make the court bigger because that would cost them a TON of money losing a few of those high dollar seats. If the shot's worth 50% more then a regular shot then get with the times and make it something most of the league can't do. Moving back is fine but I think hand checking slows up the flow enough to not have as many open 3s. I'm fine with someone like Curry making tons of 3s, I'm not cool watching all the bigs(including Towns) just sitting back and hitting 3s and also nullifying the defensive big around the hoop because of having to guard him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#66 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 8, 2017 10:12 pm

AirP. wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
AirP. wrote:

And eliminate the side 3s? They're not going to make the court bigger because that would cost them a TON of money losing a few of those high dollar seats. If the shot's worth 50% more then a regular shot then get with the times and make it something most of the league can't do. Moving back is fine but I think hand checking slows up the flow enough to not have as many open 3s. I'm fine with someone like Curry making tons of 3s, I'm not cool watching all the bigs(including Towns) just sitting back and hitting 3s and also nullifying the defensive big around the hoop because of having to guard him.

Yep get rid of the corner three. It's way too short. 5 feet would push it back to a distance that only the really good shooters will attempt and it will be a part of the game, but not the dominant part of the game. I hate hand checking. You shouldn't be able to use your hands on the offensive player. The offensive player should also not be able to back down the D (otherwise known as bumping him out of the way with your ass).
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#67 » by Calinks » Mon Oct 9, 2017 4:17 am

Steve Kerr after seeing us in action tonight

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#68 » by King Malta » Mon Oct 9, 2017 4:46 am

Didn't watch this, do we suck again?
Torben
Junior
And1: 59

Re: RE: Re: Preseason Game 3 vs Warriors 

Post#69 » by Torben » Mon Oct 9, 2017 5:59 am

King Malta wrote:Didn't watch this, do we suck again?

No, we don't. The Warriors got hot from 3 and we were unable to defend them any longer. They also played their starters way longer, so not that much of a surprise.
Our Starting line-up looks promising to me and the bench definitely improved compared to last year.

Sent from my SM-J320F using RealGM mobile app
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#70 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 9, 2017 6:21 am

Well I don't think we've officially ever not sucked yet.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#71 » by southern wolf » Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:08 am

Looks like the Dubs wanted to make a statement after losing to us in the first game.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#72 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:20 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

We officially didn't suck making the playoffs 8 years in a row during KGs prime. We didn't suck in 2004 when we were a sam cassell injury away from an NBA title.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#73 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

We officially didn't suck making the playoffs 8 years in a row during KGs prime. We didn't suck in 2004 when we were a sam cassell injury away from an NBA title.

We haven't not sucked since we last sucked. So the question shouldn't be whether we suck again, rather, do we still suck?
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#74 » by King Malta » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 am

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

We haven't not sucked since we last sucked. So the question shouldn't be whether we suck again, rather, do we still suck?

Suckception
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,945

Post#75 » by Nick K » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Well said. We have sucked, but we suck no more!
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Nick K » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 am

King Malta wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We officially didn't suck making the playoffs 8 years in a row during KGs prime. We didn't suck in 2004 when we were a sam cassell injury away from an NBA title.

"Suckception"

Could it be a new movie title? "Suckception".
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Nick K » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 am

Nick K wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We officially didn't suck making the playoffs 8 years in a row during KGs prime. We didn't suck in 2004 when we were a sam cassell injury away from an NBA title.

Well said. We have sucked, but we suck no more!

We don't have much better to do, do we?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#78 » by packforfreedom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 am

I agree that the Warriors really wanted that game after we won the first and played very good at beginning of the second game. They played Thompson and Curry more than 30 minutes in a preseason game because THEY SCARED (maybe a little bit).
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#79 » by minimus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 am

packforfreedom wrote:I agree that the Warriors really wanted that game after we won the first and played very good at beginning of the second game. They played Thompson and Curry more than 30 minutes in a preseason game because THEY SCARED (maybe a little bit).

Look at Steph, he scored with easy. Mostly against Wiggins and Teague.

Let's be honest, Andrew and Jeff are bad defenders. Thibs still have time to cultivate defensive discipline, but this game is a good indicator where we are at. Poor closeouts, lack of discipline. Hopefully they grow together as the season progresses.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#80 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm

minimus wrote:Let's be honest, Andrew and Jeff are bad defenders. Thibs still have time to cultivate defensive discipline, but this game is a good indicator where we are at. Poor closeouts, lack of discipline. Hopefully they grow together as the season progresses.

Yes, both are bad defensively but it's a preseason game. If the Timberwolves can stay close for 3 quarters, they do have options defensively to try to slow Golden State down. Nobody is going to stop KD so just throw Wiggins and his length onto him and hope he can bother him some, let Teague cover Thompson who isn't a 1 on 1 threat and just try to keep him from being wide open and let Butler cover Curry. You'd at least slow down Curry but KD is going to do what he's going to do no matter who is on him. A great shooting 7 footer who's quick and agile, that's nearly unendurable unless you can focus nearly the whole defense on him which you can't with Curry and Thompson being such incredible 3pt shooters.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves