ImageImageImage

All eyes north?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

All eyes north? 

Post#1 » by CoachD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

As a Raptor fan, all I can say to Wolves management is ...

"Seriously?"

#WeTheNorth
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Re: All eyes north? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm

CoachD wrote:As a Raptor fan, all I can say to Wolves management is ...

"Seriously?"

#WeTheNorth

Minneapolis is north of Toronto.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

CoachD wrote:As a Raptor fan, all I can say to Wolves management is ...

"Seriously?"

#WeTheNorth

I don't get this. What are you saying?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#4 » by packforfreedom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Minneapolis 44°59′N
Toronto 43°42′N
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by CoachD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes Minneapolis is geographically further north, but the Raptors have had the "We The North" slogan in place for 4 seasons. It's a part of their branding and identity. "We The North" merchandise is amongst top selling NBA apparel across the league.

It's a blatant rip.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#6 » by Wingman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Is this slogan used somewhere?

But you can imagine how Timberwolves fans reacted when a city that is south of here and where the weather is tempered by the lakes started saying We the North.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 pm

OK so the Wolves are the northernmost city in the NBA and they have adopted a slogan "All Eyes North". Toronto the second northernmost city in the NBA has a slogan "We the North". Both Cities are quite north. I don't see any issue with both cities having the word North in a slogan. CoachD, the only similarity in the slogans is one word.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#8 » by urinesane » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

CoachD wrote:Yes Minneapolis is geographically further north, but the Raptors have had the "We The North" slogan in place for 4 seasons. It's a part of their branding and identity. "We The North" merchandise is amongst top selling NBA apparel across the league.

It's a blatant rip.

Maybe you should change it to "Were The North"?

Winter is coming b*tches.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by CoachD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 pm

urinesane wrote:
CoachD wrote:Yes Minneapolis is geographically further north, but the Raptors have had the "We The North" slogan in place for 4 seasons. It's a part of their branding and identity. "We The North" merchandise is amongst top selling NBA apparel across the league.

It's a blatant rip.

Another stolen slogan.
Do you guys do anything original?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#10 » by C.lupus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm

It's a blatant rip.
It has absolutely nothing to do with Toronto. Minnesota's identity has always been tied to "North". The state motto, which was adopted in 1861, is L'Étoile du Nord (The Star of the North).
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#11 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm

A nice and interesting troll thread :thumbsup:
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by CoachD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 pm

C.lupus wrote:

It's a blatant rip.
It has absolutely nothing to do with Toronto. Minnesota's identity has always been tied to "North". The state motto, which was adopted in 1861, is L'Étoile du Nord (The Star of the North).

It's a marketing slogan in a league of 30 teams, where one team has forged an identity around that slogan.

It's like if your new slogan was "See Blue", Bulls fans would think you were corny as hell for ripping off "See Red"
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by CoachD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:A nice and interesting troll thread :thumbsup:

I get that it comes across that way ..................

But it's really just very surprising to me
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#14 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Who cares?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#15 » by minimus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:10 pm

I hope we win all games against TOR this season, so this thread will be locked with last post about our win.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#16 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 pm

CoachD wrote:
urinesane wrote:

It's a blatant rip.

Another stolen slogan.
Do you guys do anything original?

It is a bit ironic to be complaining considering your team slogan is ripped off from Game of Thrones.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#17 » by GopherIt! » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm

we use north in lots of things

minny is called the "north star state."
our old hockey team was the
Minnesota north stars
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#18 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I wasn't aware that we had a slogan or a new one. Personally I dont like it because I do feel Toronto beat us to the punch on the north thing. We should have capitalized sooner. Now it does feel tacky to me. I'd rather come up with something else or at least less like the Raptors slogan. Even if we blatantly were coming after their slogan with one that was adversarial I'd probably like it better, something like True North. Then we could have battle for the north games, etc haha.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#19 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Calinks wrote:I wasn't aware that we had a slogan or a new one. Personally I dont like it because I do feel Toronto beat us to the punch on the north thing. We should have capitalized sooner. Now it does feel tacky to me. I'd rather come up with something else or at least less like the Raptors slogan. Even if we blatantly were coming after their slogan with one that was adversarial I'd probably like it better, something like True North. Then we could have battle for the north games, etc haha.

I like that... The True North
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#20 » by C.lupus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Calinks wrote:I wasn't aware that we had a slogan or a new one. Personally I dont like it because I do feel Toronto beat us to the punch on the north thing. We should have capitalized sooner. Now it does feel tacky to me. I'd rather come up with something else or at least less like the Raptors slogan. Even if we blatantly were coming after their slogan with one that was adversarial I'd probably like it better, something like True North. Then we could have battle for the north games, etc haha.

Minneapolis-St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves unveiled a new marketing campaign for the 2017-18 season, “All Eyes North,” giving the team a new platform following the offseason rebrand. The team hashtag moving forward will be #AllEyesNorth, replacing #PowerofthePack.

All Eyes North is meant to focus not just on the geographical element of “North,” but encompass an overall organizational mindset. It’s about the trajectory of the organization and where the team is headed, following an offseason of change that included a new logo, uniforms, court design and a renovated arena, alongside changes to the team roster.

“The visual identity of our team, the uniforms and court design all reflect an evolution of the Timberwolves brand with elements that are bolder than ever before," said Timberwolves and Lynx CEO Ethan Casson. "We set out to capture that energy in a campaign that people will be able to embrace. All Eyes North represents the forward shift in direction of our franchise both on and off the court."

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/timberwolves-unveil-all-eyes-north-new-marketing-campaign-following-team-rebrand

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves