ImageImageImage

2018 Prospects: Scouting the draft

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

2018 Prospects: Scouting the draft 

Post#1 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:34 pm

We most likely are going to get this pick in 2018 (15-30)

And i kinda miss keeping track of draft position and also watching some players develop overall.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: OKC pick watch | 2018 Prospects 

Post#2 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:47 pm

This Doncic kid is something special.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#3 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:54 pm

What should be the strategy going forward in drafts?

On one hand, teams can use it to fill current needs. In this situation, I think the Wolves would be wise to target a 3/D wing. Or do you go BPA/highest upside? While that may not fill current needs, if you identify the correct prospect, it could allow the team to save money in the future by inserting the prospect into a spot without the need to overspend to bring back or add current rotational pieces.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#4 » by phonzadellika » Mon Nov 6, 2017 8:01 pm

Klomp wrote:What should be the strategy going forward in drafts?

On one hand, teams can use it to fill current needs. In this situation, I think the Wolves would be wise to target a 3/D wing. Or do you go BPA/highest upside? While that may not fill current needs, if you identify the correct prospect, it could allow the team to save money in the future by inserting the prospect into a spot without the need to overspend to bring back or add current rotational pieces.

I think you always gotta go for the home run pick in the NBA...in the other major sports you can get away with picking for need over talent most of the time (unless the talent is so good it's a no-brainer) but in the NBA there are so few people on the team that you gotta be as top heavy as you can.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 6, 2017 8:14 pm

Looking for a few minutes at NBADraft.net (thanks a lot DX, you sellouts!) and then going to Youtube, here are a few names that caught my eye:

Alize Johnson

Chimezie Metu

Killian Tillie

Miles Bridges
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#6 » by Vindicater » Mon Nov 6, 2017 8:35 pm

Always go BPA.

Never ever go need.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#7 » by TaylorTag » Mon Nov 6, 2017 8:41 pm

As a Gopher fan, wouldn't mind us drafting Amir Coffey if he comes out after this year. Dude has a nice shot and definitely athletic enough to play in the league. He could be that 3/D guy to draft

Edit: Not suggesting we necessarily use a 1st round pick on him

Edit2: here's a video

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#8 » by walk with me » Mon Nov 6, 2017 9:05 pm

I don’t expect us to keep this pick... if we do I anticipate the team picking an older player who shoots 3s at a higher % and can defender.... 6ft6-6ft8 athlete probably from a smaller school.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#9 » by Mattya » Mon Nov 6, 2017 9:06 pm

Gary Trent Jr., Billy Preston, Jarred Vanderbilt, Moritz Wagner are a few prospects I like.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,669

Post#10 » by shrink » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:11 pm

Klomp wrote:What should be the strategy going forward in drafts?

Good idea for a thread mercgold!

Right now, I am solidly in the camp that thinks you take the Best Player Available, because we're becoming a win now team:

1. Win now teams often end up trading a non-lotto pick for a vet rotation guy. If we don't trade the pick before the draft, the BPA should have the most trade value, without knowing a specific trading partner's needs.

2. Win now teams are often able to find vet rotation players in free agency, and often at under-market prices. MIN should do well this year, and look like they will do even better in the future. If we hang onto the pick, we are likely going to be able to develop him slowly, perhaps even in the G-League, and not need him to produce right away.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#11 » by wildvikeswolves » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:31 am

Miles Bridges would be sweet. 15-19 area would be way nice but I’d expect the pick to end up 20+. Either way we should be able to get a solid player.
KingSM_25
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#12 » by KingSM_25 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:58 am

MPLSwolves wrote:As a Gopher fan, wouldn't mind us drafting Amir Coffey if he comes out after this year. Dude has a nice shot and definitely athletic enough to play in the league. He could be that 3/D guy to draft

Edit: Not suggesting we necessarily use a 1st round pick on him

Edit2: here's a video

Oh how i pray that Coffey does not leave after this year, however, if he were to get a first round grade it would be dumb for him not to leave.

I guess if he is in consideration when the wolves pick in the first round it would mean that he and the Gophers had a very good year, so it would be alright with me i guess.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:05 am

Can't see Coffey leaving yet

TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#14 » by TaylorTag » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:11 am

Klomp wrote:Can't see Coffey leaving yet

Yeah I agree. The only way I see it, and as KingSM_25 said, is if the Gophers make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, meaning that Coffey performed well enough to establish himself as one of the best players in college, and maybe he figures they accomplished enough that he is satisfied with his legacy at the UofM
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#15 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:22 am

If we actually got Miles Bridges with the OKC pick, that would be a home run. He's the guy I wanted with our draft pick before he went back to school.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:24 am

theGreatRC wrote:If we actually got Miles Bridges with the OKC pick, that would be a home run. He's the guy I wanted with our draft pick before he went back to school.

I feel like the guys who return to school always seem to slip a bit in the draft. It's probably unrealistic to say he'll be there, but wouldn't say it's out of the question though.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,976

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Tue Nov 7, 2017 8:14 am

I’m not even going to consider Miles Bridges as a possibility with the OKC pick, haha. That said, Mikal Bridges (Villanova) might be worth a look, should he fall to the Oklahoma pick.
shrink
RealGM

Post#18 » by shrink » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:44 pm

The Thunder are currently 4-5, so that puts the spot at 9-10 in the lottery.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't evn get the pick - it's lottery-protected the next three years.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#19 » by Killboard » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:59 pm

shrink wrote:The Thunder are currently 4-5, so that puts the spot at 9-10 in the lottery.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't evn get the pick - it's lottery-protected.

They also have the best 3rd best net rating in the league, which is often indicative of team strenght.

538 still have them winning 52 games for the 4th best overall record (wolves are at 5th with 50 wins) despite the slow start. The pick is almost certain to be in the 20-30 range barring Westbrook/George injury IMO.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:23 pm

Killboard wrote:
shrink wrote:The Thunder are currently 4-5, so that puts the spot at 9-10 in the lottery.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't evn get the pick - it's lottery-protected.

They also have the best 3rd best net rating in the league, which is often indicative of team strenght.

538 still have them winning 52 games for the 4th best overall record (wolves are at 5th with 50 wins) despite the slow start. The pick is almost certain to be in the 20-30 range barring Westbrook/George injury IMO.

Oh, I don't think they are staying in the lottery! I just thought it was amusing right now, so I better post while I have the chance!

I also think it's interesting how my feelings toward OKC has changed. Last year, when they lost Kevin Durant for nothing, I felt like no fanbase took a greater blow. In fact, I was happy for their fans when they got Paul George for a cheap price. And I tried to be happy when they got Patrick Patterson on that discount deal. But by the time they traded for Carmelo Anthony cheap, I was done feeling sorry for that team! Maybe that's a compliment!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves