ImageImageImage

2018 Prospects: Scouting the draft

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,844

Re: 2018 Prospects: Scouting the draft 

Post#1041 » by AirP. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:48 pm

My thought would be moving Tyus for a 1st rounder because Tyus will be a RFA next year.

Last offseason it was reported that Thibs was interested in signing either Teague or Rose. He has the ability to have BOTH of them with one of them being at a much lower contract then expected(Rose, possibly signed with an exception). If Thibs wants to go this way, getting a 1st rounder for Tyus and selecting a PG makes a ton of sense financially for the team having another rookie level contract instead of having to pay Tyus more starting the 2019-2020 season.

I'd rather hear the 2nd #1 was coming from the lottery in a Wiggins trade to Memphis.

Baseline81 wrote:
wolfen wrote:Wow. Bleacher Report, via Espn 1500, says wolves working to add a SECOND first round pick in tonight's draft. How? Tyus? Patton? Tyus & Patton?

Is this where it's coming from?

Read on Twitter
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#1042 » by wolfen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

AirP. wrote:My thought would be moving Tyus for a 1st rounder because Tyus will be a RFA next year.

Last offseason it was reported that Thibs was interested in signing either Teague or Rose. He has the ability to have BOTH of them with one of them being at a much lower contract then expected(Rose, possibly signed with an exception). If Thibs wants to go this way, getting a 1st rounder for Tyus and selecting a PG makes a ton of sense financially for the team having another rookie level contract instead of having to pay Tyus more starting the 2019-2020 season.

I'd rather hear the 2nd #1 was coming from the lottery in a Wiggins trade to Memphis.

Baseline81 wrote:
wolfen wrote:Wow. Bleacher Report, via Espn 1500, says wolves working to add a SECOND first round pick in tonight's draft. How? Tyus? Patton? Tyus & Patton?

Is this where it's coming from?

Read on Twitter

That is my hope. If we can nab either Okobo or Shamet I'd be thrilled...
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1043 » by MN7725 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:00 pm

AirP. wrote:My thought would be moving Tyus for a 1st rounder because Tyus will be a RFA next year.

I think that is why it would be difficult to get a 1st round pick for Tyus, the team control aspect

But never know, some team can be sold on Tyus
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946

Post#1044 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm

CP1981 wrote:KBD is the one guy I hope the Hawks stay away from. I just see a lot of red flags

Older guy
Lacks athleticism
Only had 1 good year. I'm weary of older guys who finally "get it" this late in their college careers

How does that compare with someone like DiVincenzo though? I'd argue Keita had two years before this year better than any year Donte had before this year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1045 » by Killboard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:07 pm

It could make sense from Thibs point of view, but I wouldnt be surprised if Rose is a negative by RPM and Net rating next season. That would be a major downgrade from what Tyus did last season.
If Rose signs for the minimum we could bring more production from a veteran wing, but if he signs for the exception I dont see the point in trying to unload Tyus next contract. Also while Rose could comeback to the form from 4 or 5 years ago and be a positive player this shouldnt be close to be taken for granted.

In a related subject, I dont think Tyus brings a 1st rounder, for the same reason he wont demand a big extension, and that is the appeal he presents besides being a positive player on the court
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1046 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Something to consider would be trading a 2019 pick to get a second pick in this draft. Was listening to Givony on a podcast, and he said next year's class isn't very good.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1047 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

The combo of Thibs and adding extra rookies doesn't seem like the norm but I like it. We desperately need to add 2-3 contributors on rookie deals to balance out our cap situation.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Killboard
Analyst

Post#1048 » by Killboard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
Killboard wrote:
wolfen wrote:
How about this. Trade down to 29 and 40 with Brooklyn. Use 29 to draft Frazier or KBD. Use pick 40 to package with Dieng in a trade to get out of that contract. We all think 20 and Dieng would be plenty to trade Dieng away, but would Dieng & 40 do it is the question. If we would make that deal on draft night, we'd have about an hour to find takers on a Dieng & 40 trade and if no takers, just grab another quality player.

Is rumored that Denver his offering his pick this year to unload Faried and no one is biting. I think move Dieng is almost impossible.

I agree with you about Dieng, killboard. Here's the deal about Gorgui that bothers me most. I read the General Boards with fans of other teams claiming he has one of the worst contracts in the league and that's an absolute crock of ****. When he plays, he produces but Thibs doesn't utilize the poor guy. His PER36 last season was 12.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.1 blocks, 47.9 FG% and 77.5 FT%. Put Gorgui on any team that plays him 30-36 minutes per game and that so called "terrible contract" isn't so terrible anymore. It just amazes how ignorant some fans from other teams can be when they make such claims when most of them have probable never even watched him play. And another thing....Gorgui is all class and great in the locker room.

Totally agree. I think that if we can trade Taj expiring and give G his minutes he would have a pretty similar production and better asset management.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#1049 » by Killboard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:Is rumored that Denver his offering his pick this year to unload Faried and no one is biting. I think move Dieng is almost impossible.

Brooklyn just traded a center 3 years older and with less NBA production. Not at all impossible.

They also got back a more expensive player in return.
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#1050 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

MN7725 wrote:

I think that is why it would be difficult to get a 1st round pick for Tyus, the team control aspect

But never know, some team can be sold on Tyus

ATL appears to be moving on from Schroeder. I would gladly move Tyus for #30 or #34 and I really like Tyus as a player.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,844

Post#1051 » by AirP. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Killboard wrote:

It could make sense from Thibs point of view, but I wouldnt be surprised if Rose is a negative by RPM and Net rating next season. That would be a major downgrade from what Tyus did last season.
If Rose signs for the minimum we could bring more production from a veteran wing, but if he signs for the exception I dont see the point in trying to unload Tyus next contract. Also while Rose could comeback to the form from 4 or 5 years ago and be a positive player this shouldnt be close to be taken for granted.

In a related subject, I dont think Tyus brings a 1st rounder, for the same reason he wont demand a big extension, and that is the appeal he presents besides being a positive player on the court

The appeal of Tyus vs a 1st rounder is that he's proven to be a NBA rotational player, so to a better team maybe they want him as their backup and the ability to match and retain him after the year? There is value in that, a 1st round pick doesn't guarantee you a rotational player and that's what you're usually looking for later in the 1st round.
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#1052 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Killboard wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Is rumored that Denver his offering his pick this year to unload Faried and no one is biting. I think move Dieng is almost impossible.

I agree with you about Dieng, killboard. Here's the deal about Gorgui that bothers me most. I read the General Boards with fans of other teams claiming he has one of the worst contracts in the league and that's an absolute crock of ****. When he plays, he produces but Thibs doesn't utilize the poor guy. His PER36 last season was 12.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.1 blocks, 47.9 FG% and 77.5 FT%. Put Gorgui on any team that plays him 30-36 minutes per game and that so called "terrible contract" isn't so terrible anymore. It just amazes how ignorant some fans from other teams can be when they make such claims when most of them have probable never even watched him play. And another thing....Gorgui is all class and great in the locker room.

Totally agree. I think that if we can trade Taj expiring and give G his minutes he would have a pretty similar production and better asset management.

That begs the question...what's the best return we could get for Gibson's expiring ($14M) and Aldrich's non-guaranteed contract ($7M)?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1053 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:Is rumored that Denver his offering his pick this year to unload Faried and no one is biting. I think move Dieng is almost impossible.

Brooklyn just traded a center 3 years older and with less NBA production. Not at all impossible.

Look up the definition of impossible. It is possible to trade Dieng. You might not get Kemba Walker or Kawhi Leonard in return for him, but it is possible to trade him if you're okay with the return.

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1054 » by MN7725 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:Brooklyn just traded a center 3 years older and with less NBA production. Not at all impossible.

Look up the definition of impossible. It is possible to trade Dieng. You might not get Kemba Walker or Kawhi Leonard in return for him, but it is possible to trade him if you're okay with the return.

I think he means "impossible" in the context to what Denver is trying to do with Faried, which is get off of all or most of that salary with the #14 pick attached
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#1055 » by CP1981 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Klomp wrote:
CP1981 wrote:KBD is the one guy I hope the Hawks stay away from. I just see a lot of red flags

Older guy
Lacks athleticism
Only had 1 good year. I'm weary of older guys who finally "get it" this late in their college careers

How does that compare with someone like DiVincenzo though? I'd argue Keita had two years before this year better than any year Donte had before this year.

And i wouldn't be able to debate you lol
Only thing I can say is that I think DiVincenzo just looks like a better prospect
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#1056 » by CP1981 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 pm

wolfen wrote:
CP1981 wrote:I think I read that the Lakers acquired one of Philly's second rounders

That is correct. When I heard that jealousy and range engulfed by body :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol I thought about our convo about acquiring that pick as soon as I read it last night

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves